CCW and crutches.

PDA

Alan Smithiee
March 28, 2003, 10:10 PM
well, it's gotten to that point in life where crutches/canes are a constant companion and a wheelchair is dimly visible on the horizon.

how do you CCW on crutches?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW and crutches." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
March 28, 2003, 11:56 PM
Hmmmm.

Cross draw? Seems less likely for the crutch to get in the way of the draw, specially if you are using elbow crutches.

pax

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well. -- Josh Billings

Yohan
March 29, 2003, 12:10 AM
Can you say- SECRET COMPARTMENTS??:cool:

Snaps
March 29, 2003, 12:13 AM
I was actually on crutches for awhile after knee surgery and I figured it out. It may not work for you but I'll try it. I usually carry mine in the small of my back but with crutches that didn't work. I got a left hand inside the pants holdster and stuck it on the outside of my right side. It sat right where I could pull my right hand over the handle of the crutch and to the pistol. The only think was making sure to always wear a shirt long enought to cover it.

bfason
March 29, 2003, 12:28 AM
I know gun dealer who had a cane gun. It was single shot. Touching a button on the handle would reveal a trigger.

MJRW
March 29, 2003, 01:05 AM
I'm thinking semi-auto 12 gauge cane.

4 eyed six shooter
March 29, 2003, 01:51 AM
How about a 50 cal chain cane gun?

Redlg155
March 29, 2003, 02:01 AM
A fanny pack made for concealed carry would be very useful. It hangs to your front or slightly off to the side and ripping the front down provides easy access to your weapon.

A person using crutches typically leans forward a bit. This may allow your weapon to print when using IWB or strong side types of carry.

I've also seen a few wheelchair bound people carrying using fanny packs. Not only do they provide a place to hide your weapon, but you also have compartments for wallets and other items. You could even hide some less than lethal weapons such as OC spray.

Good Shooting
RED

CWL
March 29, 2003, 09:18 AM
Just because you are on crutches doesn't mean that you are helpless. You should be able to stand by yourself still, it's the movement that will be difficult.

I was debilitated after being run over once, and while I was in pain & couldn't move without a pair of crutches, I could still stand on my feet (painfully) as well as support myself on one crutch if need be. Weak side crutch support & pivot allowing strong side draw.

Suggest strongside carry in 2:30-3:30 position or even a bellyband.

Wheelchair defensibility will be different. I know that we have at least one member here who can help you.

El Tejon
March 29, 2003, 10:24 AM
Where's Erich? Off being rugged and fighting bears in the mountains of Neuve Meheco?

Alan Smithiee
March 29, 2003, 03:06 PM
some exellent sugestions! thank you all, I think I'm gonna go for the 50 cal chaingun cane AND the 12 gage crutch, but that will be in short burst full auto.

practialy I think the fanny pack may be the best option...

Pappy John
March 29, 2003, 06:04 PM
I use at least 1 elbow crutch at all times on my right arm....both crutches if I'm traveling on uneven ground or planning on standing for extended periods. If I'm carrying my 642 its in an IWB on my right side. I'm right handed, so that is my shooting hand....I've trained shooting left handed periodically, but with pretty dismal results. While drawing and firing I'm pretty much immobile, but I'm so slow normally that even if I was shooting lefty and using the crutch it wouldn't make much difference.

But if I'm out in the woods where concealment isn't as much an issue and I'm carrying a larger handgun its crossdraw for sure. Very fast presentation from crutch grip to draw to aimed shot. Plus crossdraw is more comfortable when sitting which I tend to do a lot of once the leg gets sorer from use on uneven ground.

Jim March
March 29, 2003, 11:23 PM
My first thought would be "fanny pack".

Unless you're one of those people with a build and gun that lets you carry IWB ahead of the hip. Even then, concealment on those are tricky, jackets and such tend to flash back. You have to do a "full tuck" and the speed there is probably similar to fanny pack carry.

Kentucky Rifle
March 30, 2003, 10:10 AM
I've never admitted it here or on "The Firing Line" however, I'm dinged up pretty badly. Occasionally, when the weather changes or a fall has re-hurt something~I have to use those damn things. It's not often but, as I get older, the pain of a mis-spent youth is catching up with me. I've thought about this and I could still stand after throwing down the stick and drawing. If it gets to the point where (sometimes) I can not stand without a stick, I'll fall on the ground and draw. (Maybe on the way down.) If I go out, I'll go out fighting. Hated to admit all that.

KR

ajacobs
March 30, 2003, 04:38 PM
I used a wilderness safepacker when I was on crutches. I attached it to the crutch but I was not using elbow crutches. I like them better than fannypacks.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW and crutches." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!