Sentry 24-Gun Fire Safe from wal mart

PDA

weedsnager
October 2, 2005, 09:00 AM
anyone have this safe? good? bad?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...000000001827240

If you enjoyed reading about "Sentry 24-Gun Fire Safe from wal mart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
imas
October 2, 2005, 09:16 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4244346

You mean this?

weedsnager
October 2, 2005, 12:54 PM
yeah, that's the one. anyone see them at an actual store? or are they just on line?

GunGoBoom
October 2, 2005, 01:01 PM
I dunno, but my buddy just bought a safe yesterday at Sam's club which was $598 + tax ($645 out the door), and it's nearly identical dimensions as that one - a smidgeon bigger: 60" x 30" x 24.5", and 575 lbs I think, and it is a fire safe rated to *supposedly* 1,200 for 30 minutes (same as that one). Electronic lock, same as that one. Has a nice padded interior with several shelves, etc. It has the brand Winchester slapped on it, but the instructions show the actual maker's name. You can view them "in the flesh" if you have a Sam's location nearby. You will have to track down an employee if you want to open it (due to concerns re people locking themselves inside). Seems like about the same deal as that one there. In all honesty, I'd probably trust the name Sentry for the fire-protection aspects much more than whatever maker Winchester-the-name-whore found to slap their name on.

weedsnager
October 2, 2005, 01:08 PM
it doesn't seem like the sentry model is available in stores, and $384 shipping, brings the total to $984, plus tax!

GunGoBoom
October 2, 2005, 01:36 PM
yap, find a Sam's - as I say, $645 out the door for that Winchester one. Put it in the pickup. It took just 2 men and a good 600-lb. dolly and ratchet strap to get in inside and in place. $40 for a dolly is less than $385 shipping.

AJ Dual
October 2, 2005, 02:12 PM
What's the quality on the Sam's Club "Winchester" "Safe" as compared to other products in the $600-800 range? The ones we have here are not electronic, but manual combination with a three spoke brass wheel.

I know enough to know it's really not a "safe" by safe/locksmith industry standards, as are most gun "safes" below $1000. It's technically an "RSC" Residential Security Container.

Is there a bigger/better deal for the money other than looking for "real" safes at going-out-of-business and forclosure auctions? My suspicion is that if there is, you'll lose any savings on the shipping/delivery charges.

I'm not too concerned about absolute security, I figure anything is better than the Homak/Stack-On/nothing combination my collection is housed in now. :scrutiny: I'm mainly looking to deter smash-n-grab thieves, and some fire protection. I'm just wondering if there's a better deal for the same price out there.

a1abdj
October 2, 2005, 02:20 PM
The inexpensive safes are made in China. The materials to build these safes can't even be bought here in the US for what China sells a completed product for.

Safes are like anything else. You get what you pay for. So long as security isn't the biggest issue, then these safes by Stack On, Sentry, etc, will perform just fine.

I even sell imported safes myself, in the same price range as Sam's and other big box stores. The difference between me and Sam's, is that if you have a question relating to the product, I can answer it with usefull information.

There's a lot of misinformation out there about safes. The average consumer or retail salesperson has little or no clue what they're dealing with when dealing with security products, and often make decisions based on their feelings or misleading information. I often hear these salespeople repeat bogus information they have read in the sales catalogs.

Same goes for buying used safes at auction. You ought to see the look on a persons face after I explain that not only will their $500 purchase not go inside their home, but because of it's weight and location, it will cost another $1,000 just to move it into their garage.

karlsgunbunker
October 2, 2005, 10:19 PM
My wife's store has the Sentry safes. (Wal-Mart in Plainfield, IN).

I'm planning on getting one myself, and I get 10% off.

weedsnager
October 2, 2005, 10:25 PM
karl,
does your wifes wal-mart carry that safe on the link i gave? or do they just carry the cheaper ones?

Moondoggie
October 3, 2005, 12:02 AM
I've had one of the "Winchester" safes from Sam's Club for several yrs.

Perfectly happy with it.

Tough enough that the average scumbag isn't gonna get inside using common tools and heavy enough that they're not gonna carry it off without considerable effort. I have a couple of added difficulty factors...it's bolted through the floor into the basement, and I have it offset inside a closet with shelves (screwed together) built around it so that it can't come out of the closet without dismantling the shelves first.

Similar to AJ Dual, one of my intentions is to "redirect" the scumbags to electronics, etc plus fire protection.

hksw
October 3, 2005, 12:12 PM
I have one (or one nearly the same). Even bought it through SAM's or Wal*Mart (can't recall which now). Anyways, shipping was much less than what was estimated.

IMO, the safe is adequate. A bit on the light side (I prefer 1000 lbm +) and small on the interior but it holds guns and locks up. The interior is, of course, adjustable to fit your needs. The one I have has movable dividers that hang on the walls that keep your guns separated when leaning and are made of light plastic. I bit low quality but they work. THe one pictured seems to be slightly better with an actual panel shelf for rifle resting. It worked OK in my apartment when I lived in southern OH.

To compare, I also have a couple Browning safes, one regular, one fire rated. The Sentry is well below the ruggedness of the Brownings, even the non-fire rated one. If you want something more than those school locker-type safes but can't afford the $2000+ of a good fire rated gun safe, it'll do, IMO.

Dr.Rob
October 3, 2005, 01:03 PM
Be aware 24 long guns in that safeis a stretch of the imagination... unless you are happy to scratch/stuff /cram things in there.

karlsgunbunker
October 3, 2005, 09:17 PM
karl,
does your wifes wal-mart carry that safe on the link i gave? or do they just carry the cheaper ones?

Looks like the same safe. 500+ lbs fire proof for 32 min 24 gun.
You may have to wait until the new store opens here on Oct 23.
I know they sold one and may have sold the second on (only had two).
Call the store at 317-839-2261 or Avon at 317-209-0857 and check before making a trip.

CB900F
October 3, 2005, 09:45 PM
Moondoggie;

If the scumbag has gotten a minimal education in the current U.S. penal system incarceration tanks, then; Yes, he is going to get into your unit in 15 minutes, max.

RSC's are RSC's & there isn't a whole lot of protective difference between any of them. I will say however, that I've seen some of the asian junk where the door outweighed the rest of the container. Oh, and another thing concerning the asian junk. The combo's are rather difficult to change, very cheap locks. So - - - - if Cecil, the misunderstood child, should happen to obtain a list of the combo's.

What's that you say? The locksmith wanted how much to change the combo on your bargain box??!! The nerve, the audacity, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

You get what you pay for.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Sentry 24-Gun Fire Safe from wal mart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!