Night sights

PDA

sonar
October 2, 2005, 12:31 PM
I am thinking about good night sights for p226. Would you suggest anything?
I heard about something as sights containing fluorescent gas. I'd like to hear your competent opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badbunny
October 2, 2005, 12:51 PM
The gas isn't fluorescent, it gets it's energy from radioactive decay. It's called tritium and is a heavy isotope of hydrogen. I know of two manufacturers, meprolight and trijicon (you can google for them). Can't tell you which is better, as I have no experience with them.

Only exposure (heh) to tritium I've had was in the army, we had tritium sights on our rifles. Or to be more exact, someone had tritium sights in the rifles a long, long time ago, by the time they got to our generation, the tritium was dead and/or the containers broken. The tritium is good for about 10-15 years.

mattk
October 2, 2005, 01:54 PM
I for one dont really find them essential. With the exception of Heinie Straight 8 sights, I find dots on my sights to be distracting.
My experience(IPSC, IDPA) has shown me that night sights are useful in dust and dawn type light.

Ala Dan
October 2, 2005, 02:00 PM
I agree, I don't find night sights as essential either. As a matter of fact,
the only weapon I have equipped with night sights (Meprolights)
is my new Kimber Raptor II. I also have experience with SIGLITE night
sights that come standard on some SIG's; and are made by Trijicon.
Too me, the Meprolights are brighter and far easier to see in daylight
conditions~ :D

SouthpawShootr
October 2, 2005, 03:03 PM
I replace the factory sights on all my Glocks with Meprolights. Not b/c I consider nighsights essential, but, for some reason, I have trouble with the Glock factory sights (I think it has something to do with the white outline notch on the rear sight). Anyway, replace them with Meps and I'm good to go. Sight acquisition is quick and repeatable. One thing I recommend against, though, is having different colored front and rear sights. I have orange rears and green fronts on my 457. In low light I have real trouble lining up the sights properly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!