Who Doesn't Like Snub-Nosed Revolvers?

PDA

TOADMAN
October 2, 2005, 01:47 PM
Yesterday, I bought a S&W 640! Had to have it. Now I have four of-em (S&W 642/442/60-14/640). Is it possible not to like them? Do I have a short barrel revolver problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Doesn't Like Snub-Nosed Revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grimjaw
October 2, 2005, 01:52 PM
I also have a S&W 640, and the jury is still out. I love the fact that it's a concealable .357 Mag, but I'm lucky if I can shoot .38's out of it. Practicing to get better, though. Ordered some combat grips for it in hopes that it would help me tame it better.

jmm

cookekdjr
October 2, 2005, 01:54 PM
IMO, snub-nosed revolvers are the ULTIMATE in concealed carry.
I ordered a S&W 431PD on Thursday. Picking it up Tuesday. Life is good.
-David

FPrice
October 2, 2005, 02:05 PM
I am with those who like a snubbie revolver for easy concealed carry. If the general threat environment is low a snubbie should get you past 95% of the threats you may encounter. But if the threat were higher and I could not avoid being there I might opt for a bigger or higher-capacity handgun with a longgun nearby.

Ala Dan
October 2, 2005, 02:22 PM
I'm a snubby fan; as I own quite a few~ :D

mec
October 2, 2005, 02:28 PM
they're great. Besides which the pseudos who have heard of Freud but not read him are more inclined to make fun of you for the ones with long barrels.

also better than having this happen
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29505&stc=1

CajunBass
October 2, 2005, 02:30 PM
I had one. It was ok. I traded it off for something else.

Dollar An Hour
October 2, 2005, 02:54 PM
Owned a .44Spl Charter Arms Bulldog Pug with the bobbed hammer, produced in the '80's. Pretty nice gun, lots of power in a small package, but never was any fun to shoot.

I think the ultimate in CCW firepower has to be a compact semiauto 9mm or larger caliber. Alot more than 5 shots and less recoil, muzzle flash and noise to deal with. :cool:

R.H. Lee
October 2, 2005, 02:58 PM
IMO, snub-nosed revolvers are the ULTIMATE in concealed carry.
Ditto that. Drop 'em in a pocket or tuck 'em into a waistband. You hardly know they're there.

magsnubby
October 2, 2005, 03:01 PM
Isn't it amazing how many experts tout the virtues of the big bore handguns then slyly admit to "occasionally" dropping a J frame into their pocket?

DennisE
October 2, 2005, 03:30 PM
I've got a S&W 66 and 386PD. Can't imagine needing anything more in 99.99% of the incidents civilians are involved in. The exception would be of course the motorcycle gang high on angel dust packing full auto machine pistols and rocket launchers that has taken a blood oath to kill me or die trying. Statistics, such as they are, suggest that this will happen to me, or to you, only rarely! Dennis

nero45acp
October 2, 2005, 04:51 PM
Centennial-type snubs = the ultimate civilian CCW/close quarters weapon

nero

BBBS
October 2, 2005, 05:08 PM
I love my snubs (696,Cobra,Diamondbacks(2) and I also ride.

Mastrogiacomo
October 2, 2005, 05:56 PM
Sold my 442 - just didn't like it. Love my S&W 60 2" and 2" SP101 and hope to get the 649 and 640 at some point. For me, weight is my friend; personally I prefer to carry the gun in a holster or coat pocket rather than my pants.

kahr404life
October 2, 2005, 06:58 PM
Snub revolvers are no good :scrutiny: . Any decent person would get rid of them. You can send them to me and I will put them with the rest of the terrible snub revolvers I have saved people from buying. Sometimes you have to take one for the team :D . My least favorite is a S&W M-60. I hate it so much I place it on my ankle every day to remind it how low it rates in the world.

EddieCoyle
October 2, 2005, 07:53 PM
You can add me to the "for" list. I carry a S&W 642 with me nearly everywhere. In a Gould and Goodrich pancake holster, I've literally forgotten that I've had it on. In the summer, it goes in the pocket of my cargo shorts.

Some of the other "CCW guys" that I know tell me that a .38 isn't powerful enough or that 5 shots isn't enough. When I've asked them, "Can you show me what you carry?" They all tell me about the high capacity big bore that they have at home in a safe. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against big bore or high cap autos, my favorite gun is my S&W 4506. It's just too big to carry. You can take a light snubbie anywhere.

Rule No. 1 - "Have a gun".

RyanM
October 2, 2005, 08:31 PM
I definitely love my 2" SP-101. I shoot it just as well as a full-sized revolver, and it's a lot easier to carry.

eagle45
October 2, 2005, 09:23 PM
Count me in. I have three Taurus snubbies, an older 85, a 617 and an 851BUL. Just picked up a Ruger SP 101 2" last weekend. Just something about them I like. :D

pezo
October 2, 2005, 09:44 PM
to know the snubby is to love the snubby. its the best conceal carry peice. imho.

gulogulo1970
October 2, 2005, 10:46 PM
I like them, I just don't shoot them very well.

GregGry
October 2, 2005, 10:59 PM
I didn't like them, until I shot one (stupid me).. Although they tend to have to small of grips for my hands, I want a snubby .357 so bad I already have .357 mag ammo, and no gun that shoots it :what: :D .

fiVe
October 3, 2005, 01:28 AM
The S&W 642 is one of my favorites and my primary carry.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/five610/sw642_sat_01b.jpg

juneau803
October 3, 2005, 02:04 AM
I got a colt magnum carry. Love it! Accurate too. I've got a S&W 66-1 in the mail coming to me now. I think I'm gonna love it too.

BlackHive
October 3, 2005, 08:15 AM
I've recently picked up a S&W 340PD and have been very happy with it. While I'm still having trouble with any amount of accuracy at the range, I know I just need to keep practicing. I can imagine it being immensely easy to carry all day (WI has no CCW so I wouldn't know).

Yes, .357s are ridiculous in this 12oz thing. Ridiculous. It feels like a prize boxer punching the palm of your hand with brass knuckles. .38s are very controllable and easy to shoot out of it, though.

Now I just need a S&W 41 or Sig Trailside for range fun.

http://www.pbase.com/natron/image/50200326.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/natron/image/50200327.jpg

Diamondback
October 3, 2005, 11:17 AM
Count me in...I have more than I need.....but enough to occupy my fondness.
I like this quote from above:
Isn't it amazing how many experts tout the virtues of the big bore handguns then slyly admit to "occasionally" dropping a J frame into their pocket?......I too think that for 99.99% of life's little problems a snub works just fine for me...YMMV however and I respect that.

-Regards

foghornl
October 3, 2005, 11:22 AM
Can't shoot 'em worth a hoot, but I do like the look of a good snubby. Something to do with short sighting radius & my 50+ year old tri-focused eyes not playing well together.... :D

Had one of the mid-70's vintage Charter .44Spl Bulldogs. Lot of oooomph in a small 5-shot package. Man, was that .44Spl ammo pricey back then...about $7-$8 per 50 more that .44Mag.

roo_ster
October 3, 2005, 12:21 PM
fiVe:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks 5 rounds on a speed strip is fine if you only have 5 chambers n your snubby. For some reason, a few folks thought I was foolish for not loading the strip with 6 rounds.

BTW, my snubby is a Taurus 651 Total Ti "Protector" (S&W Bodyguard ripoff). Five rounds of .357mag punch in a 17oz package.

sgt127
October 3, 2005, 12:29 PM
You realize how short this thread would be if people only the people that DIDN'T like snubbies answered? I have several. I've carried the same 642 for 12 years as a backup gun...(See, I just answered the same question that wasn't asked)

Charles S
October 3, 2005, 12:31 PM
I personally love short barreled revolvers. I have three. I find they ballance power and comfort well.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6974

Charles

Kramer Krazy
October 3, 2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't like them. I didn't like the way they looked. I prefered a 6" barreled Python or Anaconda with a full lug and that sexy, ribbed top, but, now......I have a Colt Detective Special (Second Issue) and really like the gun. I wouldn't mind having another one with a full extractor shroud (Third Issue), but I really like this DS. The wife has been looking at some S&W 38 and 357 nubbies, but she hasn't gotten one, yet. I think the last one we looked at was an older Model 60 in nickle that she really liked. The $350 price tag was just a little more than we were looking to spend, so......we got her a S&W 22A-1 pistol instead, that day. :D

Dr.Rob
October 3, 2005, 02:56 PM
Harder to get a speed loader up to a small framed snubby.

Other than that... no reason not to like 'em.

fiVe
October 3, 2005, 03:11 PM
jfruser said:

five:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks 5 rounds on a speed strip is fine if you only have 5 chambers n your snubby. For some reason, a few folks thought I was foolish for not loading the strip with 6 rounds.

With just 5 rounds in the speed strip, I have a little more of the strip to grab. I've been practicing to load 2 - 2 - 1 as fast as possible. It seems to work well, and you can carry a reload without the bulk of a speedloader.

This setup just suits me (i.e. it feels right), and the 642 is so easy to carry.

R/fiVe

LHB1
October 3, 2005, 03:37 PM
OK, I confess. My name is LB and I DON'T like snubbies. I prefer my revolver barrels to be at least 4" and not more than 6.5". On semi-autos, I prefer 5" to 7" barrels. Of course, this is of no concern/interest to anyone but me.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ruger357
October 3, 2005, 03:51 PM
I favor the S&W 637.

cidirkona
October 3, 2005, 04:10 PM
I actually dont' like revolvers in general, and 357s and snubbies being at the top of the list. Althought I've thought about picking up a 38 for carry, a 357 4" or less usaully hurts my ears even with nice plugs in.

I've got a 454 BP I've had for 6 months or so and sitll haven't shot.

-Colin

MillCreek
October 3, 2005, 05:20 PM
Can't imagine needing anything more in 99.99% of the incidents civilians are involved in. The exception would be of course the motorcycle gang high on angel dust packing full auto machine pistols and rocket launchers that has taken a blood oath to kill me or die trying. Statistics, such as they are, suggest that this will happen to me, or to you, only rarely! Dennis

+ 100!

Candiru
October 4, 2005, 02:58 AM
I gotta admit, I would like to like snubbies, but the ones I've shot thus far haven't done much for me. I tried out a S&W 642 to see what all the buzz was about; like most guns under 16 ounces its feel in the hand and under recoil was strange. Also, I couldn't hit anything with it.

Then I tried a Ruger SP-101 in .22. It felt hefty enough, but the trigger was lousy. Also, I couldn't hit anything with it.

Finally, this weekend, I tried out a S&W 640 in .357 Magnum. The recoil was eyebrow-raising (but kinda cool). The cylinder was sticky, though, and the extractor took a gouge out of my hand when I finally go the shells out. Also, I couldn't hit anything with it.

Obviously, none of the above is any sort of realistic indictment of the platform, and my inability to hit anything has more to do with my sight picture and trigger technique than any inherent limitations in snubbies. Maybe I haven't found one that works for me.

Coronach
October 4, 2005, 04:14 AM
I think that a snubby like a S&W 640 makes the ultimate BUG, especially if forced to carry on an ankle or in a pocket.

That Said (tm), I only use my 640 as an ankle BUG. If I can carry IWB, I will carry my 3" S&W M36. With no loss of stealth, I gain:

1. longer sight radius
2. full ejection stroke
3. velocity (a little)

Plus, a blued 3" bbl J frame with a square butt just looks right.

Mike

Nematocyst
October 4, 2005, 04:31 AM
Snub revolvers are no good . Any decent person would get rid of them. You can send them to me and I will put them with the rest of the terrible snub revolvers I have saved people from buying. LOL :D +2.

Also, Millcreek: +1.

I seem to have developed a recent affection for 3"-bbl .357 revolvers. :evil:

{Hypothesis} They got slightly more ... something, whatever ... than a 2" bbl, but: A) are still reasonable CCW; B) 1" less steel on the barrel tip means (for smaller folk) ever-so-slightly faster up from low ready, steadier pointing, but with reasonable pressure & fps.

Mikey likes it. ;)

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a Ruger SP100 or GP100. (The later of which, so friends tell me, best fits smaller hands when outfitted with compact grips designed for the fixed-sight model. Um hmm.)

Question for SW 640 users: how does the grip feel for smaller hands? On the larger SW686, I found that the finger ... grooves, ridges ... on the grips forced my smallest finger into an un-natural, non-ergonomic position. Perhaps it was "correct", but given my habits with holding pistols, it didn't feel right to me.

But perhaps it was because the 686 was designed for medium-sized hands whereas mine are not? Perhaps the 640 is better suited to smaller hands?

Opinions appreciated.

Nem

Smoke
October 4, 2005, 08:28 AM
I have a SP101 and a Taurus snubbie I bought to loan to someone....and then they gave it back.

They don't do a lot for me. No more concealable than my Kimber Ultra Carry. Heavier. Less Capacity. They have their place....but for me, I'm not sure what that place is :scrutiny:

I keep them for the wife if a defensive situation arises. SImplicity of use since she's not a gunny.

Smoke

Trebor
October 4, 2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the J-frame size snubs. I just don't shoot them well. They don't fit my hand right and they aren't comfortable to shoot.

The closest I get to a snubby is my 3" Smith M 65.

Paco
October 4, 2005, 12:03 PM
:) :) :)

Love my 340pd. Big fan. Great companion in the woods or town.

WOW, I JUST NOTICED THAT MY 340TH POST WAS ABOUT MY 340PD!!!!!

-WHAT'S THE CHANCE OF THAT!

MICHAEL T
October 4, 2005, 01:25 PM
I put a older blue bodyguard on layaway Fri. I like the older S&W snubs Don't want a new one. But I want you all to buy the new ones. As it leaves a better selection of Blue and Walnut, no lock for me :)

Bart Noir
October 4, 2005, 02:29 PM
Paco, I just gotta burst your bubble.....

It looks like that was your 341st post.

Bart "Grinch" Noir

Nematocyst
October 4, 2005, 02:37 PM
Actually, Bart, it probably was 340 when he posted it, but the number of posts by our names gets updated in every thread that we post to as we submit new posts.

For example, by my name, I have right now 291 posts, but I'm willing to bet as soon as I post this, it'll read 292, and by weekend over 300.

Nem

Paco
October 4, 2005, 03:33 PM
Dear Bart Noir,

Ha!

Sincerely,
Paco :neener:

p.s. Nema, good work! You'll get your treat later!

Fatelvis
October 4, 2005, 05:51 PM
Its hard to hit the 200 meter rams with snubbies. :p

Omaha-BeenGlockin
October 4, 2005, 06:15 PM
Charles---I see you found my gun------how did you find it so far away??----lololololol

The only 2 revolvers are both snubs---a 2'' SP101 decked out exactly like Charles' and 2.5in 686P----so ya---I like snubs.

Have a 4'' GP100 on lay-a-way for a little variety---soon.

Nematocyst
October 4, 2005, 06:50 PM
You folks are making it very difficult for me to maintain my personal commitment to financial responsibility.

:fire: :mad: :( :o :)

OK, I'm over it. Please continue... :D

FunYet
October 5, 2005, 06:36 PM
When I started shooting years ago I bought a S&W 442. After a few trips to the range I had to ask myself "what was I thinking?" I couldn't hit anything with it. I sold it. After a year or so of shooting I started to had a better understanding of technique and had to ask myself "what was I thinking when I sold my 442?". I bought a new 442 and found I could shoot well with it. I guess I just needed to grow into it. I now have several snubs and like them.

XLMiguel
October 5, 2005, 08:46 PM
Snubbies are fine for what they are - pocket/BUG guns. For day-to-day seriously social CCW, I prefer something with a little more 'reach', such as my Kahr P-9, Sig 239, or Cmdr sized 1911.

That said, I recently picked up a S&W 642, been practicing a bit, and I'm confident I could use it well in an 'up close and personal' situation. Beyond 7 yards, tho, it gets real sporty. I know there are those who shoot them well, but I'm not one of them, and a man's got to know his limitations, eh?

A snubbie is way more convenient, though, than any of the above (just drop it in my pocket with a Bianchi Nemis holster), and I'm on my way. Most of the time, that's what counts, I don't have to 'saddle up'. I'm a candy-assed suburbanite in a low threat environment, and I just feel better with a little something in my pocket in the highly unlikely event . . .

FWIW, my Tomcat is an oz. lighter (loaded), an inch shorter, and has 3 more rounds, and fills the bill just as well. (Speed strips or spare mag=wash). I have found that practicing with the DA S&W has helped my shooting overall :D A spring kit may be in order, tho -

Ichiro
October 5, 2005, 11:12 PM
My snubbie, a 2" SP-101 in .357 mag, is my only carry piece. I am fairly new to handling and shooting, much less carrying, guns, and am much more confident with a revolver. For me, some of the annoying traits of the snubbie are actually safety or tactical benefits to me. The extra weight makes it "feel" more like a weapon to me, which is good for my mind-set. The clearing procedure is very simple, as is loading/unloading. The long, heavy trigger pull acts as the safety. It's also DAO, so there's only one mode of operation. The simpler, the better.

I also realized that I am more confident and accurate with this gun at short distances if I do not use the sights. With an "aggressive" isosceles stance and point-shooting, I can hit close to where I'm pointing at 15-20 feet. I use the targets that have five separate circles on them. My Ruger holds five cartridges. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I know that if this gun needs to make an appearance in society, it will be a very high-stress situation. As far as I'm concerned, the simpler the platform, the better. No safety, no jamming, and no sight-acquisition. Point and fire. In 90% of SD cases involving a gun, no shots are fired. Of the remaining 10%, the vast majority of shots are fired within 10 feet, with an average of 2-3 shots fired. With these stats, a snubby seems like the best platform for carry, given its simplicity. I want more of them.

~Ichiro

gunnut75
October 6, 2005, 09:45 PM
i have a sp101 it's accurate its a little heavy but "no internal lock" to fail and the frame just absorbes all the recoil so to me it's a winner best wishes to all

Mastrogiacomo
October 7, 2005, 05:01 AM
Funny how it so many people on this thread own and love their SP... ;)

Stainz
October 7, 2005, 06:59 AM
My accurate and fun to shoot snubbie is a 2" 10, sporting the wood service stocks. The 10 was bought new 9/03 - and has stock springs. I can plink away at 12" plates at 110yd and hit them amazingly somewhat regularly, once I determine the drop. For PD, I carry it loaded with five of the +P 158gr LHPSWC's - and one CCI snake shot round - with a couple of #10 HKS speedloaders similarly loaded close at hand. My wife's PD/HD is a 3" 65 similarly loaded.

My favorite PD companion, which resembles a 642 on steroids, is a 2.5" 296 - .44 Special five-shot. I keep it stoked with 200gr GDJHP's, usually GA Arm's load - some 21 oz loaded. These rounds hit coincident POI/POA at 12 yd, and are acceptable, recoil-wise, with the backstrap-enclosing rounded Uncle Mike's Combat grips, like the ones which came with my 10, in place of the slightly smaller OEM boot grips. Odd how just a small increase in grip size can make such an improvement in a revolver's shootability. I demonstrated this to several female day shooters while working as a public range RO at a local range. They each had a 642 for a purse gun - and the slightly longer Hogue grip we carried in the range store did the trick.

The absolute worst snubbie - the second worst recoiling handgun for me - was a friend's 340SC, loaded hot. He recently sold it. He also has the worst... the .50AE DE. When you think it's recoil is over, it hits the stop - and twists your wrist - really rough on my CTS. I owned and shot a .454 Casull SRH for years - and shoot a myriad of .44 Magnum & .45 Colt loads... that 340SC loaded hot was miserable!

Stainz

TonyB
October 7, 2005, 03:26 PM
I have 2 snubbies..the SP101 and a Rossi that is the size of a k frame(it's so accurate I shoot it at idpa)
I HAD an airweight Bodyguard that I traded :banghead:
lately I'm in the mood for another airweight.....been looking for another used bodyguard......real men shoot snubbies BTW :neener:

Moonclip
October 7, 2005, 03:28 PM
I had a friend who did not like them, he liked things like 8 3/8" S&W's but he even had to admit they had thier place and he had a few and even replaced his AMT 45 Backup with a 3" S&W mod 60 357mag for a carry piece.

I like them but I like less 3" versions. I feel for most instances they are too big for a pocket and too small for an exposed "duty" style carry. A gun writer once wrote the few times in his life where a gun looked like it might have to be employed in self defense, it was always a snub revolver at hand.

These guns have a way of always being able to be around and handy. My experiences mirror his but in one case the snub revolver was augmented with a 20 gauge Mossberg pump :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Doesn't Like Snub-Nosed Revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!