One man's deadly choice
By LINDA MCNATT, The Virginian-Pilot
© September 29, 2005
Last updated: 11:53 AM

It was late when they got home, so late that the cluster of town
houses at the top of the hill was dark.

Earlier this month, Fred Taylor, a Suffolk native and first-year law
student at Mercer University, was returning from a fancy birthday
dinner with his girlfriend to his home in Macon, Ga.

When the couple went inside, Taylor switched on the lights in the
living room, the dining room and kitchen. Ceiling fans whirred.

Taylor's girlfriend, Adrienne Warren, 22, went upstairs, changed
clothes and settled downstairs on the couch in front of the TV.
Taylor, also 22, was watching "Law & Order," sitting in a chair
across the room.

Warren, a senior at Christopher Newport University in Newport News,
remembers that she dozed off for a while. The TV show was ending when
she woke up around midnight.

That's when Taylor heard something outside the dining room window,
footsteps on the wooden deck.

"Get upstairs," he told Warren. "Somebody's outside."

She ignored him.

Instead, she walked across the room and peered out of the peep hole
on the front door. The motion-detection floodlight at the front of
the house erupted, but Warren said she couldn't see anybody.

She felt her boyfriend lay his hand on her shoulder. He told her to
get away from the door and go upstairs.

By then, he had cut out all of the lights in the house, turned off
the television and gone upstairs to retrieve his gun. Taylor, who
graduated from Nansemond River High School and Old Dominion
University, had gotten the gun, a .357 Magnum, after applying for a
concealed weapons permit a year ago. He traveled a lot late at night
for a civic organization, he said, and believes in the right to bear
arms.

Taylor quickly pushed his girlfriend up the stairs and into the
bedroom . He told her to lock the door. By that time, both of them
could hear the screen being cut on the dining room window.

Taylor was still at the top of the stairs and Warren was on the phone
to the police when they heard glass break, echoing through the
three-level house with hardwood floors.

The alarm system blared like a siren, Taylor said.

Upstairs, a trembling Warren didn't know what was happening below.

Holding the handgun in both hands, Taylor started back down the
stairs. At the second landing, he stopped, sat down and waited.

Edward Wayne Anderson, 42, had gotten out of jail the day before
after serving time for pimping prostitutes, according to Macon
police. On the night of Sept. 17, Anderson walked past the other dark
houses on Taylor's street.

He walked up onto the deck around the second floor of Taylor's town
house, popped the top off a Smirnoff Ice, left the top near one of
the doors and eventually threw the bottle in the backyard, police
said.

Before the glass broke, the couple heard Anderson painstakingly try
each of three downstairs doors, rattling the knobs. He disarmed the
house's automatic sprinkler system. Taylor said he might have thought
it was the alarm.

Sitting on the landing, five steps above the dining room, Taylor saw
Anderson's hand, wrapped in a rag, reach through the broken window
glass. He heard him ease the window up.

The darkness inside the house was dotted with several night lights
Taylor liked to leave on. Anderson , who according to police had a
string of convictions in the Macon area, stepped through the window
and looked up the stairs, where his eyes met Taylor's.

Taylor remembers thinking that there would be no negotiations.

Taylor fired his gun once, striking Anderson in the upper torso.

Anderson fell over, and Taylor ran back upstairs.

It took several seconds to persuade Warren to open the door. When he
got inside the bedroom, he turned and locked the door again. The
police were outside by then.

By the time police led Warren downstairs, a sheet had been hung to
hide Anderson's lifeless body.

Taylor's family from Virginia arrived a week ago, after Warren had
left from the Atlanta airport to go home.

The blood has been cleaned up by a service the police recommended.

The screen and window have been repaired, the sprinkler system
reconnected and the alarm system checked.

Just a few days after the incident that made front-page headlines in
Macon, police returned the .357 Magnum to Taylor.

He will not be charged in the incident, said Howard Simms , district
attorney for the Macon Judicial Circuit. Georgia law is similar to
Virginia's, he said. If somebody makes a forcible entry into your
home, you are entitled to defend yourself.

"There is no doubt about what happened," Simms said. "You can hear
the window glass breaking on the 911 tape."

When Warren returned to school on Tuesday, her Shakespeare class was
studying Richard III, a monstrous villain who, in Shakespeare's play,
killed everybody who got in his way.

She said her professor turned to her and asked if she thought Richard
got what he deserved.

"Good riddance to bad rubbish," she remembers saying.

And she cried, ending up in a counselor's office for several hours.
For her, she said, the experience will never be over.

Looking back, Taylor said he believes that Anderson thought Warren
was in the house alone. He thinks Anderson may have peeped through
the crack at the side of the blinds on the window and seen Warren on
the couch.

"I regret being put in the position I was put in," Taylor said. "I
regret having to take a human life."

But under the same circumstances, he said, he'd do it again.

And so, thanks to another brave man, the world is a little safer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Virginia Man Shoots & Kills Intruding Pimp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
October 2, 2005, 09:36 PM
This was from the Virginian-Pilot. I wonder what the Newport News Daily Pravda had to say about this incident -- probably demanding the victims be executed without trial.

Standing Wolf
October 2, 2005, 10:47 PM
If I were a wagering man, I'd bet the criminal won't try that again very soon.

JohnKSa
October 2, 2005, 11:05 PM
Another one rehabilitated! :D

Mixlesplick
October 2, 2005, 11:15 PM
Good riddance. I hope they can put this behind them. The police returned his pistol quickly. Good for them.

He thinks Anderson may have peeped through the crack at the side of the blinds on the window and seen Warren on the couch.

I bought extra slats when I got wood blinds and installed them vertically on the sides of my blinds. I'm not paranoid, I just had a nosy neighbor who liked to peep in my windows when he came over to annoy me. Grrr. :fire:

SIGarmed
October 2, 2005, 11:16 PM
Another dirtbag gone. Good riddance.

Janitor
October 2, 2005, 11:19 PM
He turned the guy into a good pimp.

But what's up with stuff like this? -
The motion-detection floodlight at the front of the house erupted

"erupted'? The floodlight "erupted"?

gunsmith
October 3, 2005, 12:14 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :evil: :p :cool: :D

thorn726
October 3, 2005, 04:07 AM
im just a little confused-
pimp Audio pronunciation of "pimp" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pmp)
n.

One who finds customers for a prostitute; a procurer.

was there other info about the BG somewhere?

you know the screwy thing about burglars, it's easy for the person who has never been burglarized to say
"well, that is harsh punishment for break and enter"

but having come home to a robbed apt, thinking what it would be like to have someone bust the glass if i had been home?
id like the option of at least putting a fat hole in a leg BEFORE BG pulls out a weapon, which isnt the case here or most places.

seems like this law doesnt allow shooting someone who is simply trespassing correct?

forcible entry does make a lot of sense, and sounds like a real good deterrent.

i would hope people would make a slight effort to remember that BIG guy up there who set down some rules, and maybe attempt to disable BG rather than "kill" though.

Cosmoline
October 3, 2005, 04:22 AM
Good reporting there. Very clearly written. I love the bit about the pimp shutting off their sprinklers :neener:

Nightfall
October 3, 2005, 08:38 AM
was there other info about the BG somewhere?thorn726, the article has some information about the bad guy in it, specifically...Edward Wayne Anderson, 42, had gotten out of jail the day before
after serving time for pimping prostitutes, according to Macon
police.

mrtgbnkr
October 3, 2005, 09:14 AM
Thorn,
Ever been through a home invasion? I have, and at the time I wasn't prepared or equipped to deal with the situation. This resident was....and did the right thing. You don't shoot to wound or disable, you shoot to stop the threat. The best way to do that is to shoot for center of mass. If that happens to result in DRT (dead right there), then so be it. I think the victim showed remarkable restraint only firing one shot...you won't get that kind of chance at my place, not again anyway.

lee n. field
October 3, 2005, 09:38 AM

:rolleyes: Now that's service.

Spreadfire Arms
October 3, 2005, 10:29 AM
another fine example of Darwinism in action.

i worked as an LE officer for 7 years and i never saw "pimping" on anyone's rap sheet......! :D

MechAg94
October 3, 2005, 11:29 AM
Considering the Big Guy upstairs has ordered entire nations to be put to the sword, I doubt He would be overly concerned if you "killed" someone defending your home. The commandment was not to "murder" after all.

Sounds like the guy was alert and knew what he had to do. Good for him. Considering the pimp knew someone was home and awake says to me that he was interested in more than burglary.

thorn726
October 3, 2005, 03:18 PM
ah, so he was a pimp, ok.

and i am not disputing the "aim for center of mass" especially in the dark, etc.

i am a little ocncerned there is no indication guy said anything to BG first though.
i guess it is too much to ask we all shout "get out of here i have a gun"

and as far as Big Guy sending us to war- i want you to think real real hard about that one. as yourself when was the last time God sent anyone to war, and WHO came to us since then.

the commmandment does not say murder, read it again. it says kill.

i don't expect a single earth bound human to be willing to take it, i know people will shoot, i just think maybe a bunch of folks are just a little too excited about a death that may not exactly have been necessary.

just seems that for a group that at times appears very religous, y'all are real good at forgetting about the possibilty of forgivness and mercy.

i just don't think Jesus would be shouting for joy if he shot a BG.

dasmi
October 3, 2005, 03:21 PM
Exactly what the police ought to do when coming to collect a deceased home intruder.
"Thank you, Mr. Homeowner, for taking this man off the streets. Here is the number to a great carpet cleaning service. Have a nice evening."

dasmi
October 3, 2005, 03:23 PM
Read it in another translation.
Or read it in the original Hebrew.

DelayedReaction
October 3, 2005, 03:39 PM
It would be hard for the Word to say "thou shalt not kill," because the Lord cannot abide sin and there has been several examples of His angels killing people. I have trouble believing the Lord would order his angels to sin.

It sounds to me that shootings such as this are exactly the kind of situation other states ( :cuss: MARYLAND :cuss: ) needs to look at. Good shoot, and I hope the guy's girlfriend gets the therapy she needs.

hso
October 3, 2005, 03:40 PM
"Taylor was still at the top of the stairs and Warren was on the phone
to the police when they heard glass break, echoing through the
three-level house with hardwood floors.

The alarm system blared like a siren, Taylor said."

Thorn,

The criminal broke the window, set the alarm off and came into the house anyway.

It's not murder when someone goes through the locks, ignores the alarm, and keeps coming anyway. You should be in fear for your life and respond as if defending your life.

Mongo the Mutterer
October 3, 2005, 03:51 PM
A bit off subject, but does anybody get the "ceiling fans" part of the story...

When the couple went inside, Taylor switched on the lights in the
living room, the dining room and kitchen. Ceiling fans whirred. This gal thinks she is Mickey Spillane or something. :D

On subject, as others have said the perp KNEW someone was home. He wanted more than robbery. He got a dirt nap. Good riddance.

dasmi
October 3, 2005, 03:55 PM
Exodus 22:2-3 tells us "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed. If the sun has risen on him, there shall be guilt for his bloodshed. He should make full restitution; if he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft."
If we're going strictly by what the Bible says, this guy got what was coming to him. Broke in at night, got killed, "there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed."

And before anyone says "that was the old testament, before Jesus..."

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8)
"For I am the Lord, I do not change" (Malachi 3:6).
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Justin
October 3, 2005, 04:06 PM
I'd prefer that this not become a discussion about religion.

Thorn, if you really feel the need to nitpick how this guy defended his home, the Strategies & Tactics forum is thattaway.

Byron Quick
October 3, 2005, 04:16 PM
would hope people would make a slight effort to remember that BIG guy up there who set down some rules, and maybe attempt to disable BG rather than "kill" though.

The foregoing ignores the physiological results of stress on the shooter's body. Unless you have no physiological reactions to stress as well as being a super shooter, then you had best aim at the center of mass.

am a little ocncerned there is no indication guy said anything to BG first though. i guess it is too much to ask we all shout "get out of here i have a gun"

You are free to shout anything you please. And give your opponent a place to aim at and time to do so. Just think: After you're dead, the way to your girlfriend is clear.

The pertinent Georgia law does not require that you give warning to a home invader. The law was followed in both spirit and letter.

just seems that for a group that at times appears very religous, y'all are real good at forgetting about the possibilty of forgivness and mercy.

Sorry, I am not a Christian, have never claimed on this board or any other to be Christian, nor do I play one on TV. I have read the Bible, though. Please refer me to the pertinent sections where Christ forbids killing in self defense.

Am I pleased with this criminal's death? Yes. Very pleased. As a Georgian who goes to Macon several times a year; I am safer due to Mr. Taylor's action. You are welcome to have all the misplaced sympathy and compassion you want for those who would kill, injure, and degrade you. As one who has been burglarized and been assaulted; I have none whatsoever.

And several warnings were given to the deceased: a locked window, intact window panes, locked doors, and an audible alarm, lights going on and off, and it being obvious to an observer that the home was occupied. After all these warnings, do you honestly believe that a verbal warning would have sufficed?

thorn, I sincerely hope you are never placed in the position of being in need of defending yourself or your family. Your mindset appears to be woefully unprepared.

Instead of saying,"I've got a gun!"...would you say,"Here I am! Shoot over here!" One's about the same as the other, friend. :rolleyes:

Working Man
October 3, 2005, 04:36 PM
MechAg94 & dasmi

.... you hit it on the nose.

Werewolf
October 3, 2005, 04:45 PM
^^^^^^ One of many, many reasons why Mr. Quick is a moderator and I am not.

His sensitive and diplomatic reply to Thorn says everything I wanted to say but couldn't without breaking forum rules.

I applaud you sir!

cookekdjr
October 3, 2005, 04:59 PM
I have to say I am very proud to be a Mercer Law Grad. BTW, One of the biggest student clubs at Mercer's law school is Ducks Unlimited, a Hunter's conservation group. Many of the law school students are hunters, and many carry guns.
-David

Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law Class of '96

kirkcdl
October 3, 2005, 06:47 PM
One more on the subject of a verbal warning-ANY criminal that calls me first to give me a verbal warning of his intent will get a verbal warning as to my intent in return,but only if he notifies me first... :D

thorn726
October 3, 2005, 07:25 PM
ok, ok i see the very good point about the lights being turned off, you're right.

BG did have ample reason to believe house was occupied, you've convinced me shooting was a resonable idea.

i guess i am assuming a little too much- that good guy had clear sight of BG-
who had his hands full with the window. but that must not be the case.

it figures the one in fifty non religous person responds to that part of my post, you should realize i dont expect an athiest to care about life at all.

i just don't see a killing as something joyous, and it doesnt seem like great PR for gun owners to be cheering about "we got another one"
unarmed intruders being killed is what makes lamo parents go full on anti.

SORRY- but i am trying to examine all points of view here, regardless of whether i personally would like to see 99% of thieves shot dead.

the big problem with this kind of shooting is eventually some rich loser CA parent lets their kid get hooked on speed, the kid gets killed, the parent uses their millions to create BS laws.

think it doesnt happen? or that some civil liberity group doesnt do similar?

just trying to get some thinking happen that's all.

i retract my statements about warnings, there were plenty of non verbal warnings for this intruder.

dasmi
October 3, 2005, 07:29 PM
you should realize i dont expect an athiest to care about life at all.
Very very poor assumption. I am not an atheist, but I know quite a few who are decent, caring human beings. In fact, I'd suspect most are. I also know some "christians" who are not decent, caring human beings.

thorn726
October 3, 2005, 07:30 PM
i know i know, just being prickly there.

i mean reality- there are many lifetime thieves i know of that the law keeps letting slip - would i really care if they disappeared? hardly.

His sensitive and diplomatic reply to Thorn says everything I wanted to say but couldn't

that makes me laugh on so many levels.

but i guess this site isnt about convincing antis, i have to remember that.
it's really just about the same rhetoric from the other side, no real effort to make sense out of each other. you laugh at the brady bunch, the brady bunch laughs at you, and a few of us citizens lay low in the middle.

it is impossible to be a " 100% honest" citizen.

Cosmoline
October 3, 2005, 07:35 PM

LOL. The Torah was not written in the King's English. Neither was the Septuagint. You've been reading this thing called a "translation."

thorn726
October 3, 2005, 07:40 PM
honestly i am thinking about something beyond that, but let's let the religous nonsense go already, and possibly consider an actuasl issue, how the gung ho kill em all attitude might scare a bunch of soccer moms into voting for anti regs.?

or just add me to ignore like everyone else here.
hehehe what this thread must look like to 80% of highroaders.
i love it. send yer kids to private scholl, get yer jobs thru friends , never ever expose yourself to any people you might not get along with,
you'd have to shoot them.

and then wonder why idiots write laws we all have to ignore

Turkey Creek
October 3, 2005, 07:42 PM
The girlfriend ignors his order to go upstairs the first time and then has to be pushed up the steps- I bet she responds quicker, Lord forbid, there is a second break in-

dasmi
October 3, 2005, 07:49 PM
send yer kids to private scholl, get yer jobs thru friends , never ever expose yourself to any people you might not get along with,
Don't have kids. Got my job because I'm good at what I do. Work with people I don't agree with. Haven't shot them yet. Of course, they've never tried to break into my home.

Jeeper
October 3, 2005, 07:51 PM
LOL. The Torah was not written in the King's English. Neither was the Septuagint. You've been reading this thing called a "translation."

Sorry for the thread drift and off-topic post but this might be very interesting to some people.

If you want a good place on the web to look up what the language of a verse means including translations then go to

http://www.blueletterbible.org/

This also has web based concordances. if you dont know what a concordance is then here is a definition.

The Strong's concordance is a very useful tool for studying the scriptures. It takes every single word of the King James Version and lists where each word can be found in the scriptures. It is useful for locating scripture verses that you know the words to, but don't know the book, chapter and verse.
For example, let's say that you know of a verse that says our hairs are numbered. You could look up the word "numbered" in a Strong's Concordance and it would give you a listing of all the verses that contain the word "numbered". You would then find Matthew 10:30, where Yahushua said that "the very hairs of your head are all numbered". You can find the Strong's Concordance in most any bible bookstore (See the graphic to your right).

Also beside each verse reference there is a number. That number represents a Hebrew word (if in the Old Testament) or Greek word (if in the New Testament). In the back of the book it lists Hebrew and Greek words used to translate the bible into English. Each has a a number beside them so that we may only need to know the number to locate a Greek or Hebrew word. Then we can do a word study by reading the meaning of the original word. Whenever I refer to a number in the Strong's concordance, you can look up the number for yourself in the Strong's Lexicon or other lexicons that use Strong's numbers to verify everything.

TallPine
October 3, 2005, 08:04 PM
I regret having to take a human life.

Am I the only one that finds this sort of thing perplexing...?

Maybe I'd feel different if it actually happened to me, but I think I'd feel no more remorse about it than shooting a porcupine (less even, because porcupines have to make a living too - I just don't want them to do it off of my trees).

I'd be thinking about all the women that won't have to deal with this scumbag in the future. ;)

Yardstick
October 3, 2005, 08:04 PM
you should realize i dont expect an athiest to care about life at all.

I am an atheist and this kind of statement from religious people makes me extremely angry. A theist has some place they think they go when they die, an atheist does not. In my mind that makes the theist less likely to value their own life or that of others. For an atheist this life is a one-shot deal, no heaven, no afterlife, no eternity. Life is finite and I value mine and others above all else.

Strings
October 3, 2005, 09:07 PM
>it figures the one in fifty non religous person responds to that part of my post, you should realize i dont expect an athiest to care about life at all.<

Hey, wait a sec. I'd be willing to bet the other pagans here have the same attitude twords the deceased as I do: he made his choices. I'm glad one more who thinks someone else's house is his own personal shopping spree is gone. Not to mention whatever he planned on doing with the girl...

>i just don't see a killing as something joyous, and it doesnt seem like great PR for gun owners to be cheering about "we got another one"
unarmed intruders being killed is what makes lamo parents go full on anti.<

Maybe not. However, if more people HAD the "we got another one" attitude, we'd have far less crime. Which to me, seems the better path...

Werewolf
October 3, 2005, 09:20 PM
honestly i am thinking about something beyond that, but let's let the religous nonsense go already, and possibly consider an actuasl issue, how the gung ho kill em all attitude might scare a bunch of soccer moms into voting for anti regs.?

or just add me to ignore like everyone else here.
hehehe what this thread must look like to 80% of highroaders.
i love it. send yer kids to private scholl, get yer jobs thru friends , never ever expose yourself to any people you might not get along with,
you'd have to shoot them.

and then wonder why idiots write laws we all have to ignoreThorn - I suggest that you review the meaning of the word stereotype and the concept of broad general statement. Then get back to us.

hso
October 3, 2005, 09:53 PM
Thorn,

You might do well to research who the people on this board are before you sling monkey crap at the whole crowd. You can try to dismiss the folks who offered counterarguments to your statements with a lame ad hominem attack, but it won't stand examination. You will find far more people here who are creative, productive, intelligent, well traveled, self starters with a wider range of religious beliefs (or absence of) than the lame provincial stereotype you tried to hang around everyone's neck. Heck, the single largest profession here is IT geeks.

IF you take the time to look you'll find posts from Pax, me and others who have also brought up the question of whether some members sound bloodthirsty. We've asked how others might view us as a community. We've discussed how anti's might use the site against our unifying belief that every individual has the right to defend themselves and others with the most effective means available, firearms. What you won't find is these issues discussed reasonably because we got spanked for sloppy clichéd thinking.
:banghead:

And just so that others from the outside reading this don't think I'm some KKK hillbilly - non-IT technical professional, home owning, classical liberal, agnostic, theater season ticket holding, ballet watching, symphony supporting, environmentalist, military weapons collecting, martial arts practicing, PERSON!

Atticus
October 3, 2005, 10:11 PM
This proves to me that a .357 revolver is more effective than a 9mm sem-auto. A very similar inccident happened to me years ago, but when I let the slide go on my Walther, the dude dashed back outside like a bolt of lightning. :) I was glad I didn't have to shoot him, but I always wondered what evil deeds he committed after that. I later learned that someone matching his description had done multiple B&E's and a rape or two in my apartment complex.

mbs357
October 3, 2005, 10:31 PM
Edward Wayne Anderson, 42, had gotten out of jail the day before
:cuss:
. Anderson , who according to police had a
string of convictions
:cuss:
Just a few days after the incident that made front-page headlines in
:cuss: :cuss: Yea, it could've been weeks...but still, why take it from him to begin with? I've never understood this part of the process.
He will not be charged in the incident
:D
But under the same circumstances, he said, he'd do it again.
:D

Yet another case of a well known bad guy going right back to business after his (probably cut short) jail time.
But still, score one for the god guys.

Solo
October 3, 2005, 10:40 PM
it figures the one in fifty non religous person responds to that part of my post, you should realize i dont expect an athiest to care about life at all.

Why?

I am, and I know plenty of, athiests who care for life.

Cosmoline
October 3, 2005, 10:54 PM
If by "gung ho kill them all" attitude you mean kill all the people who try to cut the phone line to my house and break in while I'm there, then yes I have a "kill them all" attitude. Whether it's a low-life pimp, a high-life pimp or a justice on the Supreme Court is completely irrelevant.

i guess it is too much to ask we all shout "get out of here i have a gun"

Yes, it is too much to ask. By breaking into a house with people in it, the intruder has already made it clear he is willing to kill you or worse. Why give him a target? Take the shot from concealment and end it.

Byron Quick
October 4, 2005, 12:20 AM
and then wonder why idiots write laws we all have to ignore

Once again, the shooter followed a Georgia STATUTE specifically in this shooting.

I guess Georgia just doesn't have the same type of idiots making laws that California does. Which is not to say that Georgia doesn't have some idiotic laws. Georgia legislators, however, are just not in the same class as California legislators. Consider the difference between the minor leagues and the major leagues. Our idiots are in awe of your idiots.

Taurus 66
October 4, 2005, 01:25 AM
Confucious say: He who Boom Boom pimp today get no Boom Boom tonight. :D

dasmi
October 4, 2005, 12:56 PM
For anyone who is interested, I just emailed a trusted pastor friend of mine, who happens to read and speak greek, hebrew, and aramaic. The word in the commandment is murder. Specifically, jx^r` vb. murder, slay - Qal murder, slay, with premeditation;

NineseveN
October 4, 2005, 02:07 PM
The sheer level of ignorance that thorn726 has introduced into this thread boggles the noggin. But wait, my opinion doesn't matter, I'm an Atheist and I'm not expected to value human life...so why should I expect others to value my opinion?

P.S.
I'm not really an Atheist, Agnostic without a doubt, er, with a doubt, well without a doubt about the doubt...hell, I don't know, which explains the agnosticism. :cool:

It's not nice to stereotype or slur people of different religions, or those without religion at all. Nuff said.

Working Man
October 4, 2005, 03:03 PM
I'm not really an Atheist, Agnostic without a doubt, er, with a doubt, well without a doubt about the doubt...hell, I don't know, which explains the agnosticism.

I'm not Atheist or Agnostic, but that is funny. :D

Strings
October 4, 2005, 08:15 PM
NineseveN: so... are you sure about the doubt, or is there doubt involved in it? :evil:

NineseveN
October 4, 2005, 09:15 PM
so... are you sure about the doubt, or is there doubt involved in it?

I only know that I know nothing. Loosely quoting Socrates for the win!

Strings
October 4, 2005, 09:16 PM
Right up there with his famous quote of "I drank WHAT?!?!?"... :D

NineseveN
October 4, 2005, 09:22 PM
Hehe. :D

silverlance
October 4, 2005, 09:44 PM
Imho the part about the gunnie saying "i regret having to take" is probably for the papers and potential lawyers. if i had to shoot a goblin busting through my windows I'd probably cry hysterically for hours afterwards in addition just to be sure i could claim "reasonable fear for life". or whatever the legal term for it is.

this girlfriend seems like a total moron though. my girl would retreat immediately into the bedroom so she can start loading the benelli. she wouldn't have done something stupid like say, "oh i'm sure it's nothing, lets go find out who this is!" i used to have a girlfriend who would dismiss my caution as gun-nut paranoia... i dumped her. my soviet-bloc trained current girlfriend thinks it's sweet when i holster up whent he security system goes off. :)

and as for the bg - it's too bad his life culminated in being shot at the foot of a flight of stairs, but anyone who persists in robbing a house despite locks and alarms is truly a dirtbag.

i'm grateful that i live in a house where i've been able to install a buffer zone (secured patio) so that i don't have to open doors vis a vis to find out if the guy who triggered my proximity alarm is fedex or some pimp who got out yesterday.

silverlance
October 4, 2005, 09:57 PM
Byron,

I agree with your comment about your idiots being in awe of my idiots. For those of you who have misgivings about the necessity of developing a warrior mentality regarding personal security, I can only direct you to the following website:

http://www.lapdonline.org/bldg_safer_comms/prevention_main.htm

be aware, however, that the "crime prevention tips" contained herein boil down to essentially living like a squirrel - and that the average wait time for LAPD's 911 dispatch to even answer your emergency distress call is about 10 minutes.

Oh, by the way - that's only if the line isn't busy.

Been there too many times; done that; will rely on self now.

Hardtarget
October 4, 2005, 11:19 PM
Like I've said MANY times...just leave me alone and we'll get along fine. When my window or door is locked ...or even just closed...and an uninvited intruder steps in...all bets are off. Nice walks....no,RUNS...out. I will defend my family and home without hesitation and with no regrets. If there are half a dozen and I can pile 'em up in the door, well thats OK. If I survive thats OK too.Again, I'll like it just fine if the BG's just leave me alone. I'd rather shoot at targets at the range and develop friendships with fellow sportsmen. As for this young man...he was perfect. One shot...defense finished. Prefect! :D
Mark.

thorn726
October 5, 2005, 04:05 AM
ok this is totally wacked, i need to do some research.
the "duty to retreat" related threads are covering exactly what i meant to bring into play here
in MOST States,. i would have to agree, you appear to be correct here-

thorn, I sincerely hope you are never placed in the position of being in need of defending yourself or your family. Your mindset appears to be woefully unprepared.

HOWever- now this is where i need to research- California law is unclear to me at this point.
in a few states, this would not follow the "duty to retreat" guidelines

questionable that such laws should ever be obeyed, but unfortunately this is the mindset i am coming from. seems like most Californians, myself included are under the false impression we have to do everything possible to avoid using deadly force, even at home.

in which case, even if it does only mean a few months in jail (which would bankrupt me anyway), sometimes means taking into consideration the avergage California speedfreak burglar already has felonies, and is therefore unarmed. most drug addicts sell their guns for drugs. drug DEalers and muggers have guns. (again, huge generalization that the law here perpetuates)
i KNOW its one big risk , and the more i listen to you guys the more i personally feel id take the 12 over the 6, os feel smug about that.

hey- i am not Thorn for nothing (although the 726 is totally arbitrary), but i aM more on your side than not, this prickle wants to be thoroughly convinced.

makes me laugh. SOME of y'all are for sure the type that would try and fight me in a bar but end up buying me a beer.

NOW- as far as the idiots aND their laws- you're missing the point.
the law , good. mass publicity cheering about it - bad.
why? well, sure as usual, it doesnt affect you doesnt matter right?
until some CA senator gets scared by y'all and writes a bill.

how much violence in other states is used as ammo by antis ?

think of the national press of the FL law.
as long as nothing goes wrong it's all good.
one bad shoot and whatever gun is used will be banned here.

not a great example but hopefully you get the drift now.....

gunsmith
October 5, 2005, 05:11 AM
When I lived in NYC I had a home invasion.
I cooperated and they stabbed me after they tied me up.
Shooting to wound doesn't work ...just recently a home invader died from a shot in the leg (AZ)
the femoral arteryhttp://www.doereport.com/imagescooked/7344W.jpg
as you can see is a main vein to the heart, leg wounds can often result in a quick death.

It, really , really , is thou shalt not murder, if you read that part of the Bible where Moses brings the ten commandments you will notice in a page or two he kills some infidels for blasphemy.
Good enough for Moses--good enough for me! :evil:

k_dawg
October 5, 2005, 11:10 AM
I regret having to take a human life.

Am I the only one that finds this sort of thing perplexing...?

When I read statements like this, I generally interperate it to mean this:

"I regret that this situation ever occured."

i.e. He probably would rather have NOT had his house broken into, and never been put thru this experience.

As much as I am willing to kill an intruder, I would far rather never have to!

Byron Quick
October 5, 2005, 12:03 PM
Imho the part about the gunnie saying "i regret having to take" is probably for the papers and potential lawyers.

I've been watching for this for about thirty years here in Georgia (wrongful death lawsuits after a justified shooting). I am not aware of any. Why? Georgia attorneys have this hangup...they like to be paid. It's very difficult to find a Georgia attorney to take a wrongful death lawsuit in a justifiable homicide on a contingency basis. The reason is simple. Georgia lawyers are familiar with Georgia juries. And have passed math class. What's 40% of zero?

Strings
October 5, 2005, 12:10 PM
>What's 40% of zero?<

[JayneCobb voice]Well lemmie do the math... nuthin', plus nuthin', and carry the nuthin'[/JayneCobb voice]

JohnKSa
October 5, 2005, 07:29 PM
The blood has been cleaned up by a service the police recommended.That's an important point that is rarely mentioned. It's NOT just a good carpet cleaning service, there are services that specialize in cleaning up blood, and it's worth using them since it's not just a simple rug shampooing.

Shooting to wound, that is intentionally shooting a person (anywhere, leg, hand, finger, toe) when you do not have legal justification to kill them is never legal. Shooting a person is deadly force, and it's called DEADLY for a good reason. If you don't have justification to aim center of mass and pull the trigger then you don't have justification to shoot at all--that probably includes warning shots as well.This proves to me that a .357 revolver is more effective than a 9mm sem-auto.It proves no such thing. :rolleyes: While it may very well be true that a .357 is more effective than a 9mm, this story has absolutely no bearing on that argument. Unless you can show how the outcome would have been different had the homeowner been armed with a 9mm.

hso
October 6, 2005, 12:28 AM
The very idea that I would have to consider retreating after someone has broken into my locked house, setting off the alarm, with me in it boggles the mind. A homeowner should retreat to a postion of optimum safety when a violent person crosses the threshold. Not to provide the intruder the optimum safety.

The "homeowner" in this case retreated to the stairs and took up a blocking position on the stairs to protect the defensless girlfriend who was summoning the police.

This even seems consistent with those states where there is an obligation to retreat.

As to the law school student saying, "I regret having to take a human life", I consider it to be an honest response. If we don't value human life, even that of someone as far removed from ourselves as the POS pimp that seemed intent on violence towards the GF, then we're little better than the dead pimp. Turning people into "things" to be treated any way we want is the thinking that the criminals use and is a slippery slope for us normal folks.

44Special
October 6, 2005, 03:04 AM
If somebody wants this to be neither a debate about the way the Bible would have us do it, nor one about the tactics used, somebody tell me what the subject IS.

I was in a similar situation once. In my case, the intruder was trying to unlock a gate to enter my fenced and enclosed patio at night in a tough neighborhood. I yelled, "Come through that gate and I shoot." He didn't and I didn't. And that's how I DIDN'T kill the cop who was chasing a robbery suspect and thought the suspect might have hidden on my premises. And that's how the other four or five cops right behind him didn't shoot me, and how I lived to be an old man who has more than once asked a question first, and never had to shoot later. I'm not going to judge that Virginia boy, that's between him and the Commonwealth and the almighty, but I don't think I would have done it and I would recommend nobody else do it either.

sturmruger
October 6, 2005, 01:32 PM
I guess I don't get the part about the fans. I know after a fancy birthday dinner I am probably not going to sit around and watch TV. ;)

This is one of the better pieces I have read about a home defense situation. The guy had it coming for sure.

The_Antibubba
October 6, 2005, 02:09 PM
On a legal level, it reinforces the "Having to" part.

And the taking of life unintentionally can be hard on all of us. Heck, I'm distraught when I'm driving and I run over a squirrel. :o We can call this "pimp" whatever we like, but at some point, he was as much a human being as anyone here, and all of us have the opportunity to change ourselves, even when we are at our very worst. That the pimp didn't turn himself around is a waste. That he wasn't killed by a fellow lowlife, but instead by a prepared citizen protecting his house and loved ones, is also regrettable.

And I truly hope the girlfriend has had her eyes opened, and that she decides to keep them open.

dasmi
October 6, 2005, 02:13 PM
+1
I am torn between being glad this scum won't cause pain to anyone else, and the needless loss of human life. And for the record, I don't believe his life was taken by the homeowner. When this man chose to break into someone else's home, and cause them harm, when he made that choice, his life was forfeit, it was only a matter of time.

NineseveN
October 6, 2005, 02:28 PM
I would say that this "pimp" committed suicide through apathy. His blatant disregard for the sanctity of someone else's home and the ramifications of his unwelcome intrusion upon such is what brought about his death. He killed himself the minute he decided to commit the act. True, most criminals never die from breaking and entering, but then again, the majority of suicides via more conventional means aren't all that prone to a high rate of success either.

MechAg94
October 6, 2005, 04:17 PM
I think the ceiling fan switches are normally right next to the light switch, or the lights are mounted on the fan and one switch hits them both. :)

I think I would probably regret having to shoot someone, but that wouldn't stop me from doing it if I had to. Emotions should influence, not rule.

Other than that, I don't care what other people in other states will think of me, I'll just try to make the right decisions and help make sure Texas has the best laws possible. I might change my message to suit others, but I don't think I'll change my prinicples for a reason like that.

Byron Quick
October 9, 2005, 11:24 AM
I'm not going to judge that Virginia boy, that's between him and the Commonwealth and the almighty, but I don't think I would have done it and I would recommend nobody else do it either.

44Special,

Couple of problems with the above quote. The first is the the Virginia boy shot the intruder in Macon, Georgia Therefore, the Commonwealth has absolutely nothing to say about the matter.

The second problem is that the Virginia boy exactly followed the Georgia statute on forced entry into a person's home. Do you really want to be in the position of recommending that people not follow the law?:)

And with your example, look up the Georgia law. There is no exemption in the law that allows law enforcement officers who do not have a warrant to break into a home. If a cop forcibly enters a dwelling in Georgia, without a warrant, and gets shot by the resident...the law is on the side of the resident. So the smart cop in Georgia rings your doorbell and says,"Sir, we think a miscreant is hiding in your humble abode. Do we have your permission to search for him?"

As for the Almighty...if a person enters my home here in Georgia and I obtain a sight picture then the intruder will be able to ask the Lord immediately for His opinion of my actions. There will be no questions. I've got the answers to the only questions required by the statute: forcible entry? Check. Not a resident of this house? Check. Engage.

txgho1911
October 9, 2005, 09:35 PM
Any killing I ever am forced to expedite will not be for entertainment value. The possibility of such an action is revolting. I to would be found emotionaly traumatized and requiring medical attention.
Given the circumstance as I have read I would dispatch the requested correction at the earliest possible moment.
Beyond the grief and sarrow at or about the situation I would have to end the relationship as one detrimental to anyones well being. Some fememinism and stuborn attitude just doesn't mix every time with every situation.

Kurush
October 10, 2005, 12:09 AM
All he was trying to do was rustle up some ho's and this so-called boyfriend has to come along and turn it into a violent confrontation. What he should have done is just given the pimp what he wanted, then paid the pimp every week or so so he could see his girlfriend. There would have been no violence, and everyone would have walked away happy. Other than the girlfriend that is. Pimpin' ain't easy I guess.

1911_sfca
October 10, 2005, 05:25 PM
With all due respect, please do a whole lot more reading (here and elsewhere) and a lot less posting. Your try at intellectual deconstruction of the situation seems to have confused yourself and annoyed everyone else.

As for California law, there is no duty to retreat. If you have a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury, you are justified to defend yourself (note: bare fear is insufficient).

When an intruder forcibly enters your residence, there is a (rebuttable) presumption that they intend to do you serious bodily harm. In the case shown here, it would be a justified homicide under California law as well, with no duty to verbally warn the intruder before firing on him.

I hope that if someone cuts through your screen door, breaks your window, opens it up with a rag-covered hand, and while the alarm is going off, climbs through the window and advances on you, you won't be paralyzed in a mental exercise of figuring out what his intentions are and what the appropriate laws are.

1911_sfca
October 10, 2005, 05:29 PM
Please read this document,
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

focusing on "Protecting One's Home," starting on page 30.

Offwhite
October 11, 2005, 11:04 AM
Thorn you said
"i would hope people would make a slight effort to remember that BIG guy up there who set down some rules, and maybe attempt to disable BG rather than "kill" though."

theres a couple of things wrong with this but mainly this: What if the BG didn't have a weapon & you shot him, now true he broke into your house but in many states (thankfully not mine) you could get time in jail or at the least a few years of probation and a tarnished record. If the intruder testifies against you that he didn't have a weapon or even a gun you have little chance. But if you kill him (shoot to kill) he can not testify against you ...this has told to me by my Godfather who is a retired US Marshall.

Push comes to shove my family comes first, not some ex-con pimp fresh outta jail..you break into my house you better get my first cause you aint walking out brother.

of course you gotta get through a 70 pund Pit and a 160 pind Neopaliten Mastiff before you'll ever reach us.

thorn726
October 11, 2005, 03:36 PM
nothing better than a ridiculous legal justification.

Offwhite, the thread as a whole had more or less won me over, your post is not very intelligent.

it all depends what state you are in. in NC, a dead BG may be better. in CA somehow, i doubt it.
a dead guy with no gun is just as descriptive as a live one. (of course, i imagine you're factoring in time to place a bunk gun in BG's hand, nice, very nice.)

i dont know, you guys are all convinced there is no alternative to shooting.

i suppose given the situation, in this particular case maybe there wasnt.

but having read over CA incidents, while we have no "duty to retreat" law= if i kill some guy breaknig into my house, i am spending the next 3 months in jail and court- and when i get out, i will be homeless with nothing.

and yes, being alive would be better than dead.

when you have a gun, and laws that protect its use, this is all not such a big deal.

not everyone can think like that.

Offwhite
October 11, 2005, 03:58 PM
You also might live in a state that tries to protect the person commmiting the crime as the same as the victim. And you can't really say one way or the other until you've been in a similar situation.

I was stabbed when I was 19, and I had told the man robbing us that he could have whatever just don't hurt me or my (at the time) girlfriend. After robbing us he stabbed me in my side 4 times. I tried to end the situation peacefully without violence but that didn't happen. I used to think some-what along the lines of what you've been saying, but after that particualr incident I not only change my thinking but almost my way of life. If I'd been 21 or older & been carry my CCW (as I have since being 21 & being certified) I would have "done what I could" to make sure that niether of us would have been hurt. Its like I was taught when I was boxing, if you hesitate or wait to make the first move you might not get another chance...

No disrespect to you or how you feel, I'm only talking through life lessons

Sportcat
October 11, 2005, 05:07 PM
"pimpin' ain't easy" :D

odysseus
October 11, 2005, 05:38 PM
As to the law school student saying, "I regret having to take a human life", I consider it to be an honest response. If we don't value human life, even that of someone as far removed from ourselves as the POS pimp that seemed intent on violence towards the GF, then we're little better than the dead pimp. Turning people into "things" to be treated any way we want is the thinking that the criminals use and is a slippery slope for us normal folks.
That was very well said. Basically summed up my thoughts on this thread with Thorn.

Essentially there is a level where protecting and keeping safe human life means sometimes stopping someone who is out to harm people might mean that the aggressor dies from trying to stop them. Also no one should be expected to not meet with equal and strong force anyone who would forcibly break into their home with them inside. It does not mean you don't value human life; does not mean you would not feel terrible for taking it. In fact, this person was protecting himself and his girlfriend. It was the aggressor who was careless with human life and it's sanctity.

Trying to second guess this and say "shoot them in the leg", while understandably is an honorable idea, is marked with erroneous logic and plain false idealism to the reality of violent force. Trying to guess what really is the intent of the aggressor breaking into the home, i.e. what level of crime, is going to do is also erroneous and sorely naive, to the point people have died from not reacting with equal strength. It's very naive.

Offwhite
October 11, 2005, 06:27 PM
"It was the aggressor who was careless with human life and it's sanctity."

Very well stated Odysseus

bobhaverford
October 11, 2005, 11:36 PM
Thorn,

I wouldn't want one of my sisters or daughters to have a relationship with you. You clearly are not up to the most important task at hand. And in case you still haven't figured that out - protecting your women!! You are unfortunately a bit addled and confused. I guess your mind has been numbed by the Leftist mist. My recommendation to you: sell all of your guns. You very well could hurt yourself or others because your mindset and attitude are not up to the resposibilities of gun ownership.

Janitor
October 12, 2005, 09:23 AM
Ok. I'm not saying this to be one more guy to jump on the "Rip on Thorn" badwagon. But the 'Dicey Logic' police insisted I point this one out.
taking into consideration the avergage California speedfreak burglar already has felonies, and is therefore unarmed.
So in this statement, you're saying that the average speedreak/burglar isn't armed, as they've been busted and it's now against the law for them to carry? You must have a much kinder, gentler class of drug addict out there than we have in the midwest. Here, they don't seem to give a rip if they're breaking the law.

In defense - the next line in your post:
most drug addicts sell their guns for drugs.
Presents a more believeable argument for feeling the druggie is probably unarmed.

Every day, we bet our, and our loved ones lives on probabilities. We probably won't get in a car accident. There probably will not be a terrorist attack on the grocery market while I'm there. There probably will not be a guy driving on the sidewalk at the mall.

Wanna bet your teenage daughters life that the criminal that just broke through your locked door, knowing you were home probably isn't armed?

Ryder
October 12, 2005, 11:13 PM
It does seem possible that they misled the robber/pimp into believing nobody was home. I don't have a problem with that but it doesn't take much effort to yell "who's there?" when someone is outside your house in the dark. I do it all the time.

dasmi
October 13, 2005, 01:08 AM
It does seem possible that they misled the robber/pimp into believing nobody was home. I don't have a problem with that but it doesn't take much effort to yell "who's there?" when someone is outside your house in the dark. I do it all the time.
Irelevant. Home or not, he did not belong in that house. He made the choice.

Warren
October 13, 2005, 04:20 AM
Any word on who got custody of the goldfish in the heel of the dead pimp's platform shoe?

If you enjoyed reading about "Virginia Man Shoots & Kills Intruding Pimp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!