M1 Garand range report.

PDA

Steve in PA
March 28, 2003, 11:32 PM
I've posted this on several boards.....thought I'd share :)

The wife and I went out ot the range to shoot my recently acquired CMP SA/SG. First time out for the M1, was going to shoot up some 165gr hunting handloads I had (IMR 4064) and try out my reloads for the M1.

Its a 2,7xx,xxx SA, with a dark walnut stock. Only things I found not SA on it are the rear sight (DRC) and the safety (HRA). Serial number puts receiver at April 1944, barrel is November 1943. The only thing I did was clean up the stock a bit with some Murphys Oil Soap and the usual rifle cleaning.

Bullet was the Hornady 150 FMJ-BT, Remington cases, CCI LR Primers and IMR-4895 (46.5, 47.0, 47.5 and 48.0) fired from a seated bench position.

To say I was quite impressed would be an understatement. After making sure I was on paper I shot each 8-round load at a different target. Best group was #2 with 6 shots giving me a 1 1/2" group....the other two flyers took it out to about 2 1/2".

Rifle functioned great......and no slam fires with the standard primers.

The hunting ammo was Hornady 165gr BTSP, Winchester cases, CCI LR primers and 48.3gr of IMR-4064. My wife was watching my groups through the spotting scope and kept saying....."oh yeah......oh yeah" Seems my rifle also liked the 165gr/IMR-4064 combo too.

I'm going to load up some more 150/IMR-4985 and some 168/IMR-4064 rounds to try out. If our scanner was working I'd post the picture of the target

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand range report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hps1
March 28, 2003, 11:49 PM
47 Gr. of H4895 and the 168 gr. Sierra Matchkings give same velocity and poi in my M1 as GI M72 match ammo (173 gr. FMJ @ 2460 fps). Very good in accuracy dept.

Sounds like you got a good shooting rifle.

NRA puts out a booklet on the M1 which outlines steps you can take to accurizing the M1 (will usually make a moa rifle out of a good M!).

Regards,
hps

Dave P
March 29, 2003, 07:00 PM
Those Hornady 150 FMJ-BT work very well in my garands - and a great price!

Now, that was a 1.5" grp of 5 at 100 yrds???

jacks308
March 29, 2003, 07:44 PM
I haven't graduated to using anything but surplus M-2 bullets and pulldown powder yet . But it sounds like you got ahold of a great starting point when I do .

Jack

Steve in PA
March 29, 2003, 09:46 PM
Yes, it was from 100 yards, off a bench using a rest. Not too bad I might say for someone who hasn't used iron sights at that distance for quite awhile!!!!!.

If you go to www.midwayusa.com and download their pistol target I'll try and describe the grouping.

I put a Birchwood Casey 2" orange circle dot in the center. I put 6 shots into the upper left quadrant of the 4" bullseye. About a 1 1/2" group. The other two shots were lower right.

David Wile
March 30, 2003, 11:55 PM
Hey Steve,

May I ask where you are located in PA? I live about two miles south of the little farm community of Dillsburg and would welcome some shooting company with a Garand. I have two SAs and one Win-13. If you would prefer to respond via E-Mail, mine is davidwile@juno.com.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand range report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!