Help: Installing Wolff mag spring in SA 1911 GI factory Mag.

PDA

Retro
October 2, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi, I am new to this site, and I have searched for this but could not find an answer.

My new SA 1911 .45 WWII GI has this "Bolt-over-base" misfeeding problem, and it leaves the last round in the mag or misfeeding it in the chamber.

I took the advice of ordering Wolff 11-LB mag spring to solve this problem, and I was looking at my factory SA 7 round mag, and don't know how to disassemble it and replace the factory spring.

Please let me know how to take apart the SA 7 rd mag.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help: Installing Wolff mag spring in SA 1911 GI factory Mag." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Soap
October 2, 2005, 09:27 PM
Welcome to THR! If I'm not mistaken...aren't the floorplates welded on?

Retro
October 2, 2005, 09:32 PM
yeah, exactly... so it means that there is no way to replace them?

Darn it... I ordered 4 mags from SA yesterday.

I also ordered an Wilson 7rd mag (47A), and will the Wolf 11 LB spring fit that mag? Since the website site said that Wolff fits gov't/ commander except wilson combat.

I am hearing conflicting reports of needing a stiffer spring in the Wilson mag 7rd mag, and that Wilson 7 rd is good "as is" without any modifications.

Thoughts?

1911Tuner
October 2, 2005, 10:01 PM
Howdy Retro,

Easy to do.

Load 3 rounds in the mag. Insert pin through the second witness hole from the top. Shake out the rounds. Remove the follower by tapping the mag on a wooden tabletop. You may have to use needle-nosed pliers to lift it out.Hold thumb over lips and remove pin. Work Wolff spring into the mag and hold it there with your thumb. Reload the 3 rounds directly on top of the spring. Insert pin again...same hole. You may have to slip it in on an angle and lift to get it under the spring coil that's visible through the hole.(Make sure the round top loop is facing forward.) Shake out the rounds. Replace follower, and push it down until you feel it seat. Place thumb over feed lips, and slightly below flush with the tip. Pull the pin...It won't hurt. Make sure the top loop of the spring is behind the slidestop shelf. If it's not, push it backward with a small screwdriver. If you feel it seat on the spring, it should be right...but once in a while it's not. Done!

Retro
October 2, 2005, 10:31 PM
Oh, my god! It works like a charm!

Thanks for your help, 1911Tuner!

:D

1911Tuner
October 3, 2005, 06:27 AM
Mighty welcome lad. Carry on!

Oh! The Wolff spring probably won't work in the Wilson mag. Haven't seen a 7-round Wilson in years, but they used to take a proprietary spring. I know the 47D won't work with'em unless they're modified on the top loop. Call Wolff. They may have a spring that'll work.

Soap
October 3, 2005, 08:26 AM
Learn somethin' new everyday, thanks Tuner!

1911Tuner
October 3, 2005, 12:50 PM
;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help: Installing Wolff mag spring in SA 1911 GI factory Mag." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!