good single barrel trap gun

PDA

jhf
October 2, 2005, 10:28 PM
Looking for a single barrel trap gun for the budget conscience that I can upgrade as I go along, ie, vent, adj choke, hydro stock

If you enjoyed reading about "good single barrel trap gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flatfender
October 2, 2005, 11:12 PM
Remington 870.

Really!

USMCshooter
October 2, 2005, 11:44 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between trap and sheet

Dave McCracken
October 3, 2005, 04:53 AM
870 Trap grades are excellent choices, so are the Model 12s still performing yeoman service. Whiile either can be worn out, it's not easy nor fast.

Browning's BT99s and BT100s are quite popular.

For less recoil, trap style 1100s are common.

HTH....

Hawken50
October 3, 2005, 07:11 AM
i've been using an Encore with a 12 ga 26" vent rib barrel. works well for me. and talk about upgradeability! nothing like a shotgun that you can "upgrade" to a 300 win mag!

Scoupe
October 3, 2005, 01:22 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between trap and sheet

Sure. In trap, the birds are thrown from a single trap house 16 yards out from the first arc of shooting stations. The birds generally fly away from the shooter and can be launched in a random 44 degree arc so as to have to swing a little one way or the other.

In skeet, there are two trap houses, one at each extreme of the shooting station arc. The one on the left throws from 10 above the ground and the one on the right from three feet above the ground. The birds always fly the same path. As a group of shooters moves from one station to the next in the arc, the angles of attack change, thus presenting the shooter with most of the angles (s)he would see in the field on say, a grouse hunt.

Here's better detail: http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/skeet/SKEET.htm

http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/trap/TRAP.htm

They both can be a lot of fun, although I prefer skeet.

chris in va
October 3, 2005, 02:37 PM
You're gonna laugh, but...

NEF Pardner. Seriously. Can't 'upgrade' anything on it, but damn does it shoot nice. I picked up a 20ga and 410, both for $100. :D

I know, I know...single shot. Kinda hard to do doubles with it.

ThreadKiller
October 3, 2005, 03:14 PM
Ya just can't beat the good ol' BT99. Been lots and lots and lots of good scores shot with them over the years. And they are real workhorses. Rugged and reliabie.

Tim

TrapperReady
October 3, 2005, 03:49 PM
If you are going to be "serious" about trap, and are set on a single-barrel, then the BT-99 is definitely worth considering.

rudolf
October 3, 2005, 04:50 PM
NEF single shot.
Or, but I don't know if you get these in the US, the Baikal single shot. If both cost the same, buy US.

Bill B.
October 3, 2005, 08:00 PM
Ditto on a Browning BT99! They made them in a lot of barrel lenght's, bore dia.'s and stock styles so shop a bit before purchasing. Some just the way they are made recoil a bit less than some of the other older styles. :)

adaman04
October 3, 2005, 09:10 PM
My buddy has a Browning BT-99. He loves it, but I have a Stevens 20 ga. I got for 25 bucks that does the same thing. :neener: I think its crazy spending that much money on a single barrel. They are nice guns though, so that would get my vote I guess. Also look in to Spartan by Remington maybe, I think they have one.

October 4, 2005, 12:09 AM
When I decided to get into Trap to see if I really wanted to pursue it I bought a Baikal single shot and I'm still using it. I really don't shoot it any better than my Winchester 1200 but at least I look cool carrying it around broken open :D Seriously, when I first started I just used my 1200 pump and it seemed everyone was telling me a "Field Gun" was not going to take me very far so I got a complex about my equipment and had to have a dedicated trap gun. Now that I've hit Trap pretty hardcore for a while I can honestly say that it's way more the shooter than the weapon being shot. Find a gun you like and enjoy yourself!!

Skofnung
October 5, 2005, 09:22 PM
My father used a BT-99 for as far back as I can remember to good effect, and I still have it. He was very good with the thing, but I don't do very well with it. It just doesn't fit me well.

For me, an Ithaca 37 is the best fitting, swinging, and pointing gun that ever I held to my shoulder. I used to get funny looks from the high end crowd, but I held my own against them.

An English stocked Remington 1100 20 gauge also worked very well for me when I was a kid.

If you enjoyed reading about "good single barrel trap gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!