g30 concealing help

PDA

gsrimport
October 3, 2005, 04:46 PM
Hi,

I am about to purchase a g30 because it just felt very nice and I like the specifications of it. However, I'm 5-8 and 175 pounds and I wanted to know if anyone with a similar body structure is able to conceal a g30 on them with a good iwb and a belt. I would like to carry it year round. I am also going to equip with 9 round mags instead of the standard ones to reduce the grip.

Any help is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "g30 concealing help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cidirkona
October 3, 2005, 05:04 PM
I carry a 27 small of my back. I'm 5-9 and 170 pounds and nobody knows it's there unless they already knew or I bend over to get something from under somewhere without going to one knee first. I can do just about anything I would normally do with it there spare excersizing. Running shorts can't hold up the weight. That's when Kelly (p3AT) comes out to play.

The only thing I don't really like is the "thud" against the wooden pews sitting down at church...

-Colin

SpookyPistolero
October 3, 2005, 05:50 PM
Howdy-

I carried a Glock 33 (same size I believe) OWB for a very long time and was never 'made'. Only after a couple of years with it did I try a IWB with it (not a very good one) and it was definitely even less visible. A t-shirt was all it took to hide it.

I would reccomend a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. (http://www.comp-tac.com/) and give it a whirl. I use one now for a full-size 1911 and have no problem at all concealing it. It's a smooth draw and it holds it secrurely. The balance is great with the offset clips, so the holster won't flop around or shift. It can also be removed very quickly. A big plus sometimes is the fact that it can be 'tucked', so you can wear more professional looking clothing and keep the same rig on.

I am about 6'3", 180 lbs and don't have a problem with IWB concealment, so I don't imagine you will at all. If the comp-tac holster doesn't look appealing, try searching this forum. You will find about a million threads I imagine on this exact subject.

Best of luck-

gsrimport
October 3, 2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the responses. The g30 is a little bigger than the 26/26 and the 33 even with the 9 round mags. Anyways, it seems like I won't have much of a problem and I'm picking paying for it on tuesday. I might get a g27 later if the g30 is too big for everyday carry but it would be a while. Thanks again.

james481
October 3, 2005, 06:31 PM
Well, I'm about 6'2" , 185 lbs, kinda lanky. I carry a G30 at 4:30-5:00 in a Comp Tac CTAC. It's actually pretty easy to carry and conceal, as long as you have a good belt to hold up all the weight. Also, +1 on the 9 round magazines. You gain a whole bunch of concealability at the expense of 1 round. Of course, if, like me, you carry a spare G21 13 rounder, you dont' really worry about it (23 rounds of .45 is a pretty good load...)

BTW, the G30 is not the same size as the other baby Glocks. It's actually closer in size to the mid-size models (G19, G23, G32) with a little added thickness to boot. Great gun though.

cidirkona
October 3, 2005, 07:52 PM
Yeah, the g30 and the 10mm "subcompact" are not 'babyglocks' persay. They are a bit bigger, but that's why I went with the 27... maximum power* out of the smallest package (that was available at the time). The 30 is closer in size to the 'compacts.' The XD 'subcompacts' on the other hand, don't come anywhere near and seem to be even bigger than the glock compacts... but that's for a different discussion as well.

Although, I do find the 30 QUITE a bit more controllable off the bat and the 27 quite "flippy" first time around, I knew I would get used to it, and did.

The size difference, as far as concealability, seems to be fairly neglible in this case though. Carry what is comfortable to shoot and you know well. A good belt and a good holster will help more than the size/shape of the firearm IMO. I know people not too much larger than I who carry full size 1911s without anyone ever spotting them.

Small of the back or just barely off to the right a bit works great for me - but find your own niche. Try a few different holsters, too. My Uncle Mike's felt/neoprene/whatever-it-is works great for me and is very very thin, but it doesn't have any room for reholstering either. I hope to pick up a C-tac or Guhka sometime soon though...

-Colin

*no, I won't start that debate.

Braden
October 3, 2005, 08:30 PM
When I carried a G30 I found that the best and most comfortable way to conceal it was with a FIST #7 OWB holster (kydex). With the thickness of the G30 I just never liked carrying it IWB. I could conceal it easily with an untucked t-shirt or polo shirt. That being said, my build allows me to conceal OWB pretty easily. I'm 6'1" and have broad shoulders and chest (broad other things too, but I'm working on that) so an untucked shirt drapes pretty well and you don't even see the gun. I now carry a G22 in the exact same manner.

FYI, the G30 is CONSIDERABLY larger than the 26/27/33 in length, height and thickness.

PCRCCW
October 3, 2005, 08:38 PM
Holsters are SO many for the G30. Look around and see what you like, contact the maker and see what they can do to make it work the best for you and go from there.
It will conceal on anyone, anytime, anywhere.......simply put.
Shoot well

nextjoe
October 3, 2005, 10:19 PM
I'd recommend against small of back carry... One unlucky fall and you'll be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. the Comp-tac C-T.A.C. seems like a favorite for these guns. I'll be buying one for my G29.

duncan
October 4, 2005, 06:56 PM
I like the G30/29 Glocks but the 40 cal and 357 sig Glocks are thinner.

What about a G32 used?

357 sig power, can use 40SW hi caps and thinner than than G30?

Can get them used for $399 on a good day too! I did.

If you enjoyed reading about "g30 concealing help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!