What are you going to with your guns when you die?

PDA

TMM
October 3, 2005, 04:16 PM
this struck me as a very important thing, because i don't plan on having kids, and the only 2 or 3 people i'd consider giving them to would either be my age or older... and i am sure as hell not letting the po-po's take them...

~TMM

If you enjoyed reading about "What are you going to with your guns when you die?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MM
October 3, 2005, 04:23 PM
When I pass, I doubt guns will be as easily obtained as they now are. So I intend to continue buying quality weapons and will them to my daughter to enjoy as she wishes. Hopefully these quality weapons will be something she can turn into a mound of cash for her own pursuits.
SatCong

J Miller
October 3, 2005, 04:42 PM
Since I don't have kids, and probably never will, I'm going to take them with me.

Well at least my OM Blackhawk.

Seriously though, one will be left to my long time friend in Phoenix. The rest will be willed to the GOA to sell and apply the money to their political fights.

This will no doubt tic my wife off, but what the heck.

Joe

odysseus
October 3, 2005, 04:58 PM
Family Trust with explicit instructions.

Ala Dan
October 3, 2005, 04:58 PM
My firearms (and other collectibles) will be left to my daughter, son inlaw,
and grand-baby~! :D

Vern Humphrey
October 3, 2005, 05:04 PM
I'm taking mine with me. I don't know where I'm going, but I want both hands full when I get there. :D

Sharps Shooter
October 3, 2005, 05:18 PM
They'll go to my wife, or her's to me, depending on which of us leaves first. After that, our daughters and hopefully on to our grandchildren. We already have a .22 rifle for each of our 3 grandsons in our gunsafe. It will be a few more years before any of them are mature enough to handle a gun of their own. Our youngest daughter doesn't have any children yet, but when she does we'll purchase a .22 rifle for each of them. :)

GunnySkox
October 3, 2005, 05:22 PM
Dibs on TMM's guns when he kicks out his last jam.

If I have a spouse, i'd pass my firearms onto them, with the stipulation that they be passed on (in whole or part) to any children. If my spouse doesn't want them, I'd probably will my guns to my brother, my parents (if they live when I'm toast), or to a close friend.

~GnSx
"We gotta kick 'em out... We gotta kick out the jams!" ~Beck [I think]

CAPTAIN MIKE
October 3, 2005, 05:26 PM
Step 1: Establish a Living Trust
Step 2: Put Everything into the Ownership of your Trust that you want to avoid probate (i.e. home, vehicles, bank accounts, mutual funds, FLP etc.)
Step 3: Prepare an Inventory of your Personal Property (i.e. collections, artwork, firearms, etc.) and make SURE that your Living Trust specifically incorporates by reference the existence of your Personal Property Memorandum.
Step 4: Have your Successor Trustee distribute the items in your Personal Property Memorandum as one of his or her first duties following the death of you and your spouse.
Step 5: Have the Successor Trustee directed in your Trust document to then distribute the remainder of the assets belonging to the Trust.
Step 6: Make sure your Will has a "Pour over Provision" so that anything controlled by your Will is 'poured over' into your Trust for Distribution.

** In my case, my brother is Successor Trustee and he will pass ownership of all my firearms to my son (except for my Rock River Arms AR15 which I'm taking "with me" just in case !)

TMM
October 3, 2005, 05:28 PM
skox, chances are, you'll be gone before me. how old are you? 20? 30? i'm 15...

JMiller: what is GOA?

~TMM

oh, and i was thinking of donating them to a gunshop that i like - that way i know they'll be in good hands.

Rembrandt
October 3, 2005, 05:29 PM
Hopefully my entire collection will be gone before I pass on.....plan to give it all away to our two sons and grandchildren as birthday and Christmas gifts. The fun part will be determining which gun fits which personality and interest. May each recipient enjoy them as much as I did.

scout26
October 3, 2005, 05:36 PM
To Mrs. Scout26, and then the kids. My 11yo Daughter already has "her own" 20ga shotgun and and .22LR Marlin 60. My son turns five 1 Nov and we're looking at getting him a .22, but I'm looking at one of those H&R or Rossi combo's. With a single shot .22 barrel and either a .410 or 20ga for when he's a little older.

I guess I should decide who gets what, so there won't be any fights when I'm gone.

I'll also provide a warm loving home to any future orphans in need of adoption, and can assure that your "children" will be well cared for whether they're wall hangers, safe queens or field/working guns. And that they will be passed on to people who will cherish them as much as you do.

(Was that laying it on a little too thick ??? :D )

Monkeyleg
October 3, 2005, 05:41 PM
If I go before my wife does, she'll know by then to sell them on consignment (she doesn't really shoot much, and we don't have kids). That way, she'll have some extra money.

If she dies before me, I'll pass them on to nieces or nephews or any of their kids who I know are into guns.

afasano
October 3, 2005, 06:35 PM
they will go to a friend with some instructions.

Growler
October 3, 2005, 06:51 PM
I'll leave mine to my son and daughter, the wife alrdy has her own :)

GunnySkox
October 3, 2005, 06:55 PM
TMM, I'm only eighteen, though it's heartwarming (and heartstopping) that I sound 2-12 years older than that. :D

~GnSx
"Man, [GunnySkox], you hate too much stuff."
"Good to know that I've got a head start on being a bitter old man."

TIMC
October 3, 2005, 07:27 PM
My wife said she's selling everything when I'm gone. I told I won't mind I because I'll be through with them! You guys get ready and start saving your pennies cause I have some nice toys. I'll be ready to go in about 35-40 more years. I'll try to keep them in good shape for you.

Tory
October 3, 2005, 08:00 PM
No kids and the wife won't want them. Any I haven't sold to buy meds and health insurance with are bequeathed as follows:

LONG arms: The NRA, of course.

HANDGUNS: My state firearms rights organization.

The gift that keeps on giving...... ;)

iamkris
October 3, 2005, 08:11 PM
Kids

Dionysusigma
October 3, 2005, 08:14 PM
Not planning on kids or marriage...

I wonder if the local Boy Scout troop would (could) take 'em.

Standing Wolf
October 3, 2005, 08:22 PM
When I'm admitted to that great shooting range in the sky, I expect to be handed a fine collection of mint Pythons and High Standards, so after my death, all my guns are to be sold, and the proceeds divided between the N.R.A. and the G.O.A.

thatguy
October 3, 2005, 08:22 PM
The only reason my wife doesn't complain about my gun buying is because I've told her how much they will appreciate in value by the time she sells them. No kids, so my collection is her inheritance. It will be a Hell of an auction. Too bad I have to miss it.

waterhouse
October 3, 2005, 08:27 PM
I'm fairly young, not married, no kids. Several years ago before doing a sailboat race to Bermuda someone suggested i have a will drawn up. It was pretty straight forward, "sell crap off, pay off debts, split all the money among the nieces and nephews" stuff until the lawyer asked if I had any material items that I wanted to go to a specific person. My brothers will be splitting up the collection if they outlast me. Coin flip to see who picks first.

If you are talking to your lawyer and he asks you about this and you can't think of anything good to say, try: "I know this nice guy down in Austin, and I'd like all my guns to go to him." I'll treat them real good, I promise.

Turtle Club
October 3, 2005, 08:47 PM
I'm fairly young, not married, no kids. Several years ago before doing a sailboat race to Bermuda someone suggested i have a will drawn up. It was pretty straight forward, "sell crap off, pay off debts, split all the money among the nieces and nephews" stuff until the lawyer asked if I had any material items that I wanted to go to a specific person. My brothers will be splitting up the collection if they outlast me. Coin flip to see who picks first.

I dislike that Idea. My Great uncle (my moms uncle) died about 10years ago. I was 12-13. he had tons and tons of guns and knives and military valuables that dated to the Civil War. My Mother nor my Aunt really cared too much about that stuff. He had no other relatives. Well my cousins (my Aunt's daughters), they are all female 3 of them didnt care much about anything either let their husbands rummaged through everything. These men had never met my uncle..EVER! My older brother and I arrive over at my Great Uncles house to do some yardwork oneday to find these A** Holes loading up thier cars with our Uncles Belongings. We called the cops to stop them saying they were not authorized to be there. Everything went into probate. It turns out that, before probate could start, everything had to be appraised, the military relics were vaulued at over $75,000.00, funny then everyone wanted a piece of the pie. My brother and I grew up listening to WW2 stories and drueling over the old uniforms guns and plethera of military relics that he collected over his life. For us it wasnt about the money. I dont care if it was a crappy walmart brand pocket knife. No one that had never met the man, who was only related by marrage deserved anything!. Everything was tied up in probate for 3 years. It turns out that through help from my father, whos best frriend happened to be a lawyer, we got everything. Trust me, I have 1/2 and my brother has 1/2. I will never sell any of that.

rust collector
October 4, 2005, 01:39 AM
Certain guns go to little brother and to son and daughter. Better to sell the rest than saddle someone with them, especially if they aren't likely to use them. You can preserve the value and do maximum good by insuring that they are appraised and sold by someone who knows what they are doing.

FNFiveSeven
October 4, 2005, 02:43 AM
Well, here in CA, when you die, you cannot leave your "assault weapons" to anybody, which is just fine with me. You see, when I die, I have requested that my AR-15 be rendered inoperable and buried with my body. That way, in the afterlife, my spirit can be reunited with the spirit of my rifle, and we can journey together on the road to Valhalla.

Kim
October 4, 2005, 02:50 AM
Living trust with explicit instructions. Maybe a few in a good place for when the SHTF kinda like Travis McGee book wrote about. :scrutiny:

stevelyn
October 4, 2005, 03:10 AM
Take them with me.

Majic
October 4, 2005, 03:32 AM
My youngest son gets them. The oldest could care less about them and have his eye on other things around here.

mr_dove
October 4, 2005, 04:30 AM
I have 2 sons now and will probably have more in the future. All my firearms will go to them.

Gabe
October 4, 2005, 04:38 AM
Lot auction on eBay?

shooting time
October 4, 2005, 07:35 AM
they are going to my daughter she is into guns and loves to shoot

Bullet Bob
October 4, 2005, 07:41 AM
Just so you'll know, 15 is very young to decide not to have kids. I made the same decision at 15, 20, 23, uh, first boy at 25.

I also know that you won't believe me, and that's okay. Enjoy it while you can.

Camp David
October 4, 2005, 08:09 AM
I'm donating my entire arsenal to Sarah Brady after I croak! I bet she would just orgasm shooting the .50 Caliber Rifle! :D

Feanaro
October 4, 2005, 08:23 AM
Nothin', I hope. Death tends to prevent most physical interactions. I don't wanna be no durned zombie! :evil:

When I become *cough*... old, I will pass out the wealth. Give all my firearms and unneeded things to brothers(no sisters to give anything to, unless my father uses PVC piping to reverse that vasectomy), cousins, children, and so forth before the government can tax it. Though a few guns may follow me into the Great Beyond. There might be ghouls, goblins, and Ted Kennedys on the other side. ;)

'Course, I have a will just in case. If what my mother says is correct, I'll be dead before 30. :D

chuckles
October 4, 2005, 08:52 AM
Vern Humphrey wrote:I'm taking mine with me. I don't know where I'm going, but I want both hands full when I get there.
Good answer Vern! +1 here :cool:

2 of my 3 sons are LEOs so I will leave them in better hands than mine.

waterhouse
October 4, 2005, 10:54 AM
Turtle

I dislike that Idea.

Which part do you dislike? My brothers have certainly met me, and they aren't just related to me by marriage. They are my actual, real deal, beat the crap out of each other when we were little, brothers. It's not like two strangers will be fighting for control of my guns. Plus the coin flip just seemed fair. It's what we did to split up my dad's knife collection, and no one got stabbed, so it must have worked OK.

Mnemesyne
October 4, 2005, 10:56 AM
Well if I die before the husband and being that we have no children as of yet...he always teases me and says he'll bury me with my 2 45's one in each hand crossed across my chest :evil:

M2 Carbine
October 5, 2005, 12:22 AM
If I have time before I die I'll get my three good friends over for a cook out and give them my guns. Except one that I may need.

If I die suddenly they have instruction to have a cook out and divide up my guns.

There are a couple guns earmarked for certain people. Like one friend wants my Wife's 1903 Colt 32 and a particular M1 Garand.

106rr
October 5, 2005, 03:55 AM
It might be a good idea to list the approximate value of each gun. I have listened to a lot of gun show dealers swear that they took advantage of a widow. I would hate to have these laughing hyenas get my guns cheap.
She will want to get rid of most guns. She owns her own Glock and that is her only gun. I insisted that she learn to defend herself in case anything happens to me. She has been safety trained but needs futher combat training.
No kids and my nephews/ nieces have no interest in firearms. I may give few to old friends.

silverlance
October 5, 2005, 05:04 AM
that's a crazy story, and a damn good motivation for me to send a new will to my lawyer hs friend up in oregon. he's my executor and i'm his.

techmike
October 5, 2005, 08:43 AM
What are you going to with your guns when you die?

Uh...nothing....I'll be dead. :evil:

I figure Heaven will be full of custom 1911's and Hell won't let me have them anyway. :fire:

I like Vern's answer best. :D

Seriously though..I intend to leave my weapons to my children.

Frandy
October 5, 2005, 09:15 AM
My wife has instructions to have a friend of mine (he has and knows guns) to assist with selling my firearms (we have no children). His appreciation will be to take any one of the firearms as his own and all the ammo and any holsters that remain.

Q.E.D.

Frandy

QuicksDraw
October 5, 2005, 09:33 AM
Distributed to friends by lottery at a cookout so they can have a swap table for the ones they really want.

Alfadog
October 5, 2005, 10:08 AM
I have a specific provision in my will that all firearms I own at the time of my death will be held in trust for my son and given to him when he turns 21. (Nice thing about having only one kid, no worries about how to divide them up.)

My son is only 4 now. I plan to spend a lot of time training him in the safe and responsible use of firearms, but just as importantly, teaching him the practical and philosophical reasons for owning weapons. If I don't have the opportunity to do that, I have directed my wife to give him my Jeff Cooper books when he is in middle school. I'll just have to hope for the best.

oweno
October 5, 2005, 10:17 AM
I owned 3 handguns that had a family history behind them. One was Grandpa Tom's service revolver, S&W .32 Long (state police issue in the 1930s!); and 2 that Grandpa Dan brought back from WW-I, a Colt 1918 revolver (.45 ACP) and a 1911. All 3 are in really nice condition, original holsters, etc. especially, now that I think of it, the 1911.

Each of my 3 children had, over the years, expressed interest in one of the 3 and they all especially liked a different one. (Happy situation, that.)

So, at Thanksgiving a few years back, I gave each of the 3 the one they wanted. I'm happy, they're happy.

I suppose my being a bit long in the tooth made my decision to pass these guns along easier but there you have it.

Owen

btw, they were all a tad worried at first as to why I was doing this but I assured them that nothing was wrong, etc.

armoredman
October 5, 2005, 10:29 AM
Everything goes to the wife first, son second, and brother way last, after Hillary Clinton.....

Faithless
October 5, 2005, 10:39 AM
One gun for Valhalla. Rest to the kids.

grnzbra
October 5, 2005, 11:36 AM
Give a trusted friend the key to your house, the code to disable the alarm system and the combination to the gunsafe, along with the instructions that while everyone is at your funeral, he goes in and "disappears" the guns.

J Miller
October 5, 2005, 12:10 PM
TMM

JMiller: what is GOA?

TMM, The GOA is Gun Owners of America ( http://www.gunowners.org/ ) They are one of the pro gun rights organizations that don't compromize when they fight in congress.

Joe

Larry Ashcraft
October 5, 2005, 12:27 PM
I intend to do what my father in law did.

He was dying of bone cancer so he sat my son down and handed his guns over, one at a time, with instructions to take care of them and enjoy them. My son was 10 years old at the time and the only grandchild who could be trusted with them.

He is 28 now and still has and cherishes them.

The Freeholder
October 5, 2005, 12:49 PM
Family trust with some very explicit instructions. Yes, I plan on excercising control from the grave. :evil:

irontorc
October 5, 2005, 01:39 PM
Larry,

You brought tears to the eyes. I think we all need to start having more kids, or our ilk will be hopelessly outnumbered in the future.

irontorc

Luchtaine
October 5, 2005, 02:02 PM
My underground vault for the resistance... erm I'm never going to die yeah thats it...

well since I am only 21 and don't have any kids or wife yet thankfully. How should I know at this point they will probably go to someone I trust if none of the other options don't pan out.

one thing I do know the gubmint can't have em, I'll throw em in the sea before I let them get their grimy mits on them.

Ky Larry
October 5, 2005, 10:32 PM
It's all in my will. I have records of what I paid for each gun and when I bought it. Wife doesn't really care about my collection (other than my Colt Det. Sp. she carries) so it will be appraised and sold. I don't really have anything super valuable, just good, solid shooters. A few will be given as gifts to family members and friends. I'm going to give my brother my Weatherby 7mm Rem mag. My cousin and main shooting buddy and best friend Butch will get my S&W Model-29.

bulbboy
October 5, 2005, 10:49 PM
Leave to my Dad and my daughter (wife won't want them!)

22-rimfire
October 5, 2005, 11:23 PM
All guns go to a big dealer for firearms auction or retail sale. Proceeds go to my wife exclusively if she is still alive. None go to her children or their families. As time progresses, I may revise my plans. But, I hope to begin selling them off when I move into my 70's and it may never come up. Just have to see how healthy I am when the time comes.

junyo
October 5, 2005, 11:48 PM
Well, I'm hoping the guy behind me picks it up, reloads, and keeps firing.

el44vaquero
October 6, 2005, 12:07 AM
I really haven't given much thought to what would happen to my collection when I move on to the other side. I guess this plays hand in hand with me not really knowing or caring what will happen with my remains when I'm gone. I just told my lady she can do what ever she wants with me when I'm gone. She could toast me and sprinkle me around her rose bushes for all I care.

odysseus
October 6, 2005, 12:11 AM
I intend to do what my father in law did.

He was dying of bone cancer so he sat my son down and handed his guns over, one at a time, with instructions to take care of them and enjoy them. My son was 10 years old at the time and the only grandchild who could be trusted with them.

He is 28 now and still has and cherishes them.

Thanks for that. That is how it should be; and how it was with my Grandfather.

It's scary... in that some states a increasingly trying to restrict inheritance. Cali does with certain firearms. It's a shame.

berettashotgun
October 6, 2005, 06:26 AM
My Grandpa gunsmithed, had a few M-14's and a dozen Garands. Aunt (with no sons) TOOK them to N.M. , Their house was broken into- rifles stolen. Imagine that :rolleyes: , Make serious plans- at times of death some people are evil. That said, I have 2 sons, each with different tastes, but, I always have got 2 of everything- heck, every Spyderco knife in the stash has a twin. I don't think they will have any troubles over the guns- but I've always let them settle their differences the hard way :evil: . The $$ is what I'm concerned with, death taxes on insurance or 401 plans are a joke on the public. Invest in brothels or abstract/title companies is what my Dad always said, they both screw people out of their money..........

GregGry
October 6, 2005, 06:41 AM
When my grandfather passed away, he had a bunch of nice old rifles/shotguns. I was to young to inherit them, and my father didn't live in a place that he could keep them, so they went to my cousins :(. I can say that I plan on having quite the collection by time I die, and I will request to be buried with my most favorite pistol, a good 12 guage sxs shotgun out of my collection, 2 boxes of the best .45acp I have, and two boxes of 12 ga shells. The rest I would order to be given to certain family members/friends. What was left after that I would want to be sold, and the money go to my wife (if I am married) kids (if I have any) and other family/friends.

Mr.None
October 6, 2005, 11:30 AM
When il die il be baried whit them so i can shoot some dame sceleton ass in the underworld.

And if il be a zombe il dont need to scrach or bite anybudy il just shoot at the dude and il dont hawe to even go there.

But i hope that im not going to die soon :evil:

Mannlicher
October 6, 2005, 01:06 PM
My will says that my wife gets first pick of anything she wants. The person that gets the rest, is my best friend in the world, and just happens to be my son. :)

f4t9r
October 6, 2005, 01:31 PM
never thought that hard about it
I better come up wth a plan, thanks for reminding me

parsec
October 6, 2005, 03:28 PM
This topic is actually very important to me, though I didn't have the opporunity to read the whole thread. Whatever any of you do, if you have guns hidden in the house leave instructions to your loved ones on how to find them should you pass on. Do this TODAY! My father died suddenly five years ago and we're still finding rifles he had hidden in the utuility room behind air ducts and such (hey, there's a lot of junk in there). I know some may be concerned (read paranoid) that the government might use the instructions to confiscate your guns, but be creative and find a way to tell your loved ones.

Jim PHL
October 6, 2005, 05:33 PM
Nothing. I'll be dead.

Buzztail
October 6, 2005, 06:16 PM
I'm taking mine with me. I don't know where I'm going, but I want both hands full when I get there.

Best answer so far!! I'll go with that

jdseven1
October 6, 2005, 06:39 PM
Told my wife to get the blue book if she sell them and try to get a least what their worth. Other than that bury me in my gun safe with them

ghost squire
October 6, 2005, 07:28 PM
Whatever I do with the rest, I'm taking the one with the highest melting point with me.

Matthew748
October 6, 2005, 07:33 PM
I have thought about this. I am single and the odds that I will ever get married are slim. The odds that I would have children are even slimmer. I am also the last male of my family in this country. I try not to think about it too much, it is rather depressing.

Anyway, assuming I outlive my parents and sister, I will probably pass them on to a friend. Failing that, the state rifle association of whatever state I finally end up in permanently.

reagansquad
October 6, 2005, 07:46 PM
If you guys want to just leave them to me, I will make sure they are always happy, clean and well used. :o

Gus Dddysgrl
October 6, 2005, 08:02 PM
Right now my hubby. If he isn't alive either they'll go to my dad. When kids arrive they'll go to the kids if hubby isn't alive.

Gus

scout26
October 6, 2005, 08:05 PM
Anyway, assuming I outlive my parents and sister, I will probably pass them on to a friend.

Matt, sing it with me....."You've got a friend in me, I say, you've got a friend in me......" [/ bad Randy Newman impersonation].

Whatsit
October 6, 2005, 09:08 PM
I, for one, do not intend to die :)

CannonFodder
October 7, 2005, 12:50 AM
Family, Friends, and Charity

With the stipulation that they're all fired off at my funeral.

Kharn
October 7, 2005, 10:07 AM
Current arrangements are that two of my best friends from college each get one (randomly selected) handgun, and my brother gets everything else I own, house, guns, vehicles, etc.

Kharn

halvey
October 7, 2005, 11:51 AM
I hope you guys who are getting buried with guns aren't serious. What a waste.

Funeral home directors strongly recommend nothing else is buried with the body. Heck, you don't even get shoes.

Dan0076
October 7, 2005, 09:30 PM
I have only one son. And most likely all of my firearms will be willed to him.

Stevie-Ray
October 7, 2005, 11:23 PM
Don't know, probably the NRA. Don't have kids and the nephews I thought I'd will them to........well let's say that I wouldn't trust any of them with my lowliest .22. I suppose if I go first, my wife could sell them. Guess I should write up a paper telling her what they are worth, so she don't get taken.

ghost squire
October 15, 2005, 09:50 PM
I, for one, do not intend to die

*Dale Gribble voice*

Colloidal silver, every orifice, every day... *exhales cigarette smoke*

artherd
October 16, 2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks to the boneheaded legislature in this state, I cannot will, give, etc my most expensive firearms. I suppose they'll be destroyed.

Vern Humphrey
October 16, 2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks to the boneheaded legislature in this state, I cannot will, give, etc my most expensive firearms. I suppose they'll be destroyed.

Can you sell them? Sell them to your heirs (go through an FFL and offer him $10 or $20 per gun ot handle the paperwork.) Then borrow them back.

rust collector
October 16, 2005, 05:03 PM
Artherd, can you convey your non-pc firearms to an out-of-state third party or trust subject to a life estate in you, or a remainder interest in your intended beneficiary? It would certainly seem that the state cannot deprive you of the value of your property by making it totally nontransferable. It can keep you from transferring to another party in state, but this prohibition may not stand the test of time, either.

AndrewTB
October 16, 2005, 05:15 PM
I want my gun burried with me but loaded with one in the pipe. I can imagine 200K heres from now after humal life almost being wiped out new age scientist digging up my body and finding it. That would be awesome. LOL.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are you going to with your guns when you die?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!