Child molester moving into our neighborhood.

PDA

BamBam-31
October 3, 2005, 06:46 PM
My wife just informed me that one of our neighbors, who's renting his home, is being evicted by the owners so that their son, a convicted child molester, can move into the house. This is the next block over, but that's still too close for comfort. I've got an 8 month old son, and our whole neighborhood's filled with infants, toddlers, etc.

The neighbors we're best friends with have two sons (one 2 yr. old, one 7 months), and the convict is moving in right next to them. They just spent a ton remodelling their entire home, and now they're trying to figure out a way to finance a move if the guy really does move in. Needless to say, they're pretty upset. The guy that's getting evicted just started getting to know all the neighbors, too, and now he's getting the boot.

We've read up on the subject a bit, and it seems there's not too much we can do. Our neighborhood watch leader is trying to schedule a meeting to see if we can protest somehow, maybe take legal action, but it seems like there's really nothing of consequence that is available to us. In fact, there are laws protecting the guy from harassment from unhappy neighbors, so it's not like we can camp out on his lawn and chant, "Hey hey ho ho, child molester's gotta go!"

Anyways, my question is this: Aside from keeping my child home 24/7 (which will probably be unbearable for the poor kid) and away from this guy as much as humanly possible, what else can I do? I was very much looking forward to my kid growing up, visiting, and playing with all the other kids in the neighborhood, but this kind of killed that notion. And all it takes is one slip up, one incident, and the S is really gonna hit the fan. :fire:

I'm trying to be rational about it, but the reality of the situation really hasn't even hit me yet, and I'm already upset. I know we're not being fair to the guy--even child molesters need a place to live, right? Until he moves into YOUR neighborhood, however, and you've got a couple of young ones of your own, you probably wont understand. Moving is a last resort (especially with the real estate craze here in Kali), but I guess it's an option. We plunked down a bit of cash making our home nice and cozy, and my wife and I got married in the gazebo in our back yard. IOW, it's far, far easier to say, "Just move!" than to actually do it.

So, anyone with any kind of experience in this matter? How did you handle it? What kinds of extra precautions did you take? Are there any other avenues we can pursue to get this guy out of our neighborhood? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and passed along during the neighborhood meeting.

Man, there goes the neighborhood. :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Child molester moving into our neighborhood." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
October 3, 2005, 07:00 PM
the irony is that the sicko has paid his debt to 'society', but he can never repay humanity for the choices he made.

you dont have to be rude to get your point across. you and your neighbors could draft up a letter to him that you all sign, so he knows that everyone is on alert.

Zundfolge
October 3, 2005, 07:09 PM
Don't contact this guy, don't make any public stink (especially one that has your name on it).

What sucks is that if something bad happens to this guy, then if you where engaged in some sort of protest activity then you're a suspect.

I'm thinking that an anonymous letter mailed to this guy's house saying "we know who you are ... we're watching you ... you screw up and you're going down hard!" is about all you can do.

Maybe have someone unrelated to you mail it from out of town (but not out of state).

Nimitz
October 3, 2005, 07:13 PM
Theres no rules about child molesters being in a certain distance of a school/school children?...

i feel for you...

Chad

TallPine
October 3, 2005, 07:19 PM
Just remember that even if there isn't a known child molester living in your neighborhood, your children are still at risk :(

Child molesters own cars and drive them too, you know... :rolleyes:

ID_shooting
October 3, 2005, 07:25 PM
We have 8 in my neighborhood (there is two low-rest trailer parks just down the road) and while we are concerned, we havn't really adjusted our life to them. I made it point to know who they are and I do not our kid play outside un supervised, but I would not do that anyway.

None of our guys are multiple rapists or child beheaders, at least according to the sherrif's Web site.

So I guess, what kind of guy is yours rated? Have you looked him up on the local dadabase to get his picture and stats?

Soap
October 3, 2005, 07:30 PM
Be a good neighbor and bake him a ricin pie :evil: <---DISCLAIMER- JUST KIDDING.

I'd try to get as much info as I can on him, including his past crimes.

pcf
October 3, 2005, 07:34 PM
1. Is it legal for the property owner to evict the tenant? Unless it's stated in the lease agreement, evicting someone for a family member probably won't fly.
2. Talk to a Lawyer (have one on retainer), there a plenty of ways to legally harass someone. You're going to need a lawyer.

Jeeper
October 3, 2005, 07:39 PM
2. Talk to a Lawyer (have one on retainer), there a plenty of ways to legally harass someone. You're going to need a lawyer.

I like that line. It is good that you are informed. I bet most people have no idea how many sex offenders live near them.

Jeff White
October 3, 2005, 07:43 PM
Have you looked at the various websites to see if there are others living near you that you aren't aware of? It might surprise you just how many are out there.

The best advice I can give you is to continue to live your life like you normally would. Teach your children how to protect themselves (just like you would if the sex offender hadn't moved into the neighborhood). Tall Pine is right, they have cars and they can prey on your children no matter where they live.

Getting involved in a campaign to run him off is a good way to become a suspect if anything happens to him, the property or his parents or their property. Don't think that an anonymous letter threatening him won't be looked into by the police. Don't think that mailing it from out of town will eliminate you as a suspect.

There isn't anything legally you can do. You know the threat is there, that's half the battle to keep your kids safe. The threat is always there.

Teach your kids not to have contact with strangers, to tell you if an adult approaches them, not to take anything from anyone they don't know etc. Just all of the basic rules for living safely.

Jeff

Note to members: WE WON'T ADVOCATE OR DISCUSS ILLEGAL WAYS OF DEALING WITH THIS SITUATION. This is a good opportunity to review the things that all parents should do to keep their children safe.

ny32182
October 3, 2005, 07:43 PM
I was just going to say... many people are branded a "sex offender" for life just because their girlfriend in high school's dad didn't take kindly to the fact that his little girl wasn't the angel he thought she was. First, check to see if the guy is actually a real child molester, or just an 18 y/o with a 17 y/o gf many years ago. If it turns out the guy really is dangerous, only you can decide based on your circumstances what the appropriate action would be. If your son is only 8mos old, he's a long way from unsupervized outside play anyway... maybe the guy will be long gone by then. Hopefully you can raise your son such that he knows to tell you if anyone makes inappropriate moves toward him. As someone else mentioned, child molesters have cars too. I've looked at the internet public records for my town, a very small place, and there are several listed.

Can't keep a kid cooped up forever. One day he has to go out and discover the world... at that point, he will have only what you have taught him as a guide.

Zundfolge
October 3, 2005, 07:48 PM
Just remember that even if there isn't a known child molester living in your neighborhood, your children are still at risk

Good point. I wonder how many of us are living near child molesters who haven't ever been caught. Assuming you're "safe" just because there's no registered sex offenders in your area is just false security.

Note to members: WE WON'T ADVOCATE OR DISCUSS ILLEGAL WAYS OF DEALING WITH THIS SITUATION.
/me hangs head in shame

True ... don't break the law umkay.

dakotasin
October 3, 2005, 08:03 PM
bam-bam... first, make sure he really is a child molestor, and not a victim of circumstance (eg, he was 18, his g/f was 17, and they didn't like him - or something similiar).

second, go to your sheriff's office and find out how many more molestors are near you - you may be shocked.

last... a child molestor decided to move into town here, within walking distance of the school. of course, this didn't set well... word has it that the guy got a letter from somebody pointing out to him that he was now living in the middle of pheasant country and farmers, where every home he sees has shotguns. incidentally, it was supposedly pointed out to the gentleman that a double-barrel shotgun leaves almost no evidence behind, and in a town of about 600 people and around 2000 shotguns, he might be careful, especially around pheasant opener... the non-residents that invade s.d. are careless shots.

the guy didn't care for pheasant hunters i guess, because he left town within a month...

--disclaimer-- i did not write, sign, send, deliver, or anything else w/ the letter. its just something i heard that happened as to why the guy left town so soon after closing on a house.

bratch
October 3, 2005, 08:07 PM
bam-bam... first, make sure he really is a child molestor, and not a victim of circumstance (eg, he was 18, his g/f was 17, and they didn't like him - or something similiar).

Took the words out of my mouth.

LaEscopeta
October 3, 2005, 08:16 PM
We have 8 in my neighborhood.You got us beat; we only had 3. It is a nice (well... nice except for the convicted child molesters) suburban subdivision, built in the 60’s. Apparently the 3 guys we have got out of prison and moved back in with their parents (original owners) because they had no place to go. 2 of them have moved on, and the one still here is on parole. The talk around the neighborhood is the terms of parole for all 3 was they had to stay a minimum distance away from kids under 18, but I don’t know if this is true or not.

We did some research when the first guy moved back home. Apparently the “experts“ currently think these guys are never cured; they will always have the desire to go after kids. While they have them in prison and on parole, they try to train them to remove temptation from their lives, and stay away from kids even after they are off parole. So the neighborhood association prints their photo and address in the newsletter, with the advice that if any one sees one of these guys close to a kid, drinking in public, not wearing a seatbelt, spitting on the sidewalk, we call the police. Newsletter is delivered to every house in the neighborhood, included where the released pre-vert lives. Maybe this is why the first 2 moved out.

Teach your children how to protect themselves (just like you would if the sex offender hadn't moved into the neighborhood).
Can't keep a kid cooped up forever. One day he has to go out and discover the world... at that point, he will have only what you have taught him as a guide.
I wonder how many of us are living near child molesters who haven't ever been caught.+1

1911 guy
October 4, 2005, 01:33 AM
First, I'll repeat what has been said, The sherrif's website should say if he's actually a child molester or the 18yo wth 17yo girlfriend. Secondly, the eviction sounds fishy. Renters and landlords both have certain rights and obligatons and an eviction for familial preference violates the renters rights and the landlords obligations, I believe. Suggest to him that he contact an atty. All you good neighbors might help him with this one. He wins, you win. He loses, you all lose, too. Thirdly, there is pleny of opportunity to politely let someone know that you don't like them and wish they would move on. Gathering your kids close and a hard stare when he's around will send the message. Especially if everyone on the block does it.

BamBam-31
October 4, 2005, 02:26 AM
Thanks for all the advice, folks. I'll pass it along during the meeting. :)

As for the guy in question, here's what I've gathered: He's a middle-aged Caucasian who molested his 12 year old stepdaughter. One of the neighbors who'll be living right next to him is an attorney, and she did as much research into the guy's background and criminal case as she could. He's been in jail for the past three years, and he's getting out in May. That's when he'll be moving in. I only know the guy's first name, so I couldn't check www.meganslaw.ca.gov using his name. He hasn't moved in yet, obviously, so I couldn't use my zip either. I'll get his full name from our neighbor first thing.

One bright note: The guy that's getting evicted has already found another house to rent one street over. Landed right on his feet, this guy. Good for him. As for local eviction laws, I'm a landlord with properties in the city of L.A. There, strict rent control laws protect poor innocent tenants from big bad landlords like me, and even there, eviction of a tenant to move in an immediate family member (as long as that family member lives there for a specified period of time) is as legally legit as non-payment of rent. Needless to say, the local laws around here give the landlord even more leeway.

You know, we live right in the middle of two elementary schools. I mean we're literally within about a mile of each school. Aren't there laws about how close a registered sex offender can live to schools? Gotta look into that.

Anyways, with all the "Best caliber for Bears/Zombies/Mutants/Aliens" threads, I was hoping for some advice along those lines for a real life monster. :p :neener:

One more thing: After discovering that it was a 12 year old girl that was molested, I thought my 8 month old son was safe. Not really, according to my child therapist wife. Sex crimes arent always about sex (huh?), and the children they prey on don't have to be ambulatory yet, either. Man, that's so sick, it's beyond me. :barf:

The_Antibubba
October 4, 2005, 03:24 AM
Bam-Bam, he was convicted of molesting his 12 yo stepdaughter. Keep in mind, he could be a victim of a divorce gone bad. Research is the key. Maybe he was railroaded, and he has nowhere else to go.

He's probably scum, but keep the other possibility in mind.

Jeff White
October 4, 2005, 04:01 AM
Bam-Bam,
In most states the sex offender can't be within 1000 feet of a school. If he's just been released, he's certainly on parole and his parole officer is going to have to approve where he lives. I bet they have already checked to make sure the proposed residence is in compliance with the conditions of his release.

Jeff

Tierhog
October 4, 2005, 08:36 AM
Check the local laws, if he cannot live within a certain distance of a school get together with the local parents and open a licensed in home day care.

just a thought.

GRB
October 4, 2005, 09:15 AM
Until he moves into YOUR neighborhood, however, and you've got a couple of young ones of your own, you probably wont understand. I have two children. I have and do live in neighborhood(s) wherein convicted child molesters have also resided, let alone those who have not yet been caught (a few reported around schoos already, schools that my children attended). We just received notice recently that another sexual offender has moved into the neighborhood. So what? You seem to be writing out of mostly emotion. Your neighbor who is moving seems to be panicking. Sure a child molester, if that is truly what he is (as opposed to a lower level sexual offender) can try to molest more children or, he can go straight and cease the bad stuff. You never know. The thing is though, yu do not move out of your neighborhood because a neighbors kid was seen drinking, or drinking while intoxicated. There are two other crimes (yes both are crimes) that can easily lead to your child being killed; and I think if you did sone checking you would see that your child stands much more of a chance being hurt or killed by a car than by a child molester.

As for precautions take the same precautions you would take in bringing up your child as usual. Give them the whole don't go near or talk to strangers bit, secure your home, buy a dog that is at least a watch dog size or maybe one that is a guard dog type (I am not talking about training it to kill or anything but about the variety of dogs suitable to the task). Watch your young children when they are outside the house playing. Make sure the house and grounds are secure when they are inside. Check on them frequently. Buy older children a cell phone. Make sure they know and agree for you to be checking on them every couple of hours.

As you plainly stated, a convicted (and probably therefore already punished)child molseter has to live somewhere. While it may be extremely uncomfortable to have one in your neighborhood, at least you know exactly where he is and who he is. Sure he is likely someone to still worry about, recidivism is high among child molesters - so take precautions but; remember that the ones you don't know about are even more dangerous. It could be uncle Harry, aunt Mildred, or maybe your parish priest, rabbi, a school teacher, chief of police - who knows.

If you ever come across a heinous act in progress wherein a molester is actually physically molesting a child, such as raping, then make sure to do the right thing.

SteveS
October 4, 2005, 10:28 AM
As for precautions take the same precautions you would take in bringing up your child as usual. Give them the whole don't go near or talk to strangers bit, secure your home, buy a dog that is at least a watch dog size or maybe one that is a guard dog type (I am not talking about training it to kill or anything but about the variety of dogs suitable to the task). Watch your young children when they are outside the house playing. Make sure the house and grounds are secure when they are inside. Check on them frequently. Buy older children a cell phone. Make sure they know and agree for you to be checking on them every couple of hours.

Excellent advice. Many child molesters lure their victims with some type of "help me" story, such as "help me find my lost puppy." There have been studies done where most of the subjects will fall for these types of lines. One way to combat this is to tell your children that adults almost never need a child's help. If they lost their dog or need help changing a flat, they can find another adult.

I have been a family therapist for the last 10 years or so and have worked with hundreds of child victims. I realize that this is not a representative sample, but rather anecdotal. It is my understanding that most molesters pick children that they know and have some type of relationship with. In my practice, this is was definately true, as I never treated anyone that was molested by a stranger. All of them were molested by a relative or "family friend." My advice is to get to know all of the adults that your child interacts with on a regular basis. This includes parents of their friends, teachers, scout masters, etc.

Nimitz
October 4, 2005, 02:29 PM
You know, we live right in the middle of two elementary schools. I mean we're literally within about a mile of each school. Aren't there laws about how close a registered sex offender can live to schools? Gotta look into that.

I thought that as well, and Im pretty sure its a law in Florida....check your local laws.

Good Luck

Chad

antarti
October 4, 2005, 03:55 PM
Those who prey on children will unceasingly find their way into jobs/professions/situations where they can be near kids. That might mean school itself, church, scouts, local park worker, or just a rental or even odd job right across from a bus stop or on a long stretch where kids walk to/from a bus stop. Count on it and educate/act accordingly.

The poster who mentioned its not about sex is correct. Its about control, violation, and domination of someone vastly weaker who cannot possibly retaliate, and most of the time doesn't even have the words to describe the crime. Makes the crime even sicker (if that's even possible) when you think about it.

I think the courts do a terrible disservice to the victims of such crimes. 3 years is no justice for a kid whose psyche will never be the same.

If you ever come across a heinous act in progress wherein a molester is actually physically molesting a child, such as raping, then make sure to do the right thing.

+P+

SigLaw
October 4, 2005, 04:06 PM
People have been quite successful in getting child molesters out of the neighborhood by picketing night and day, nothing illegal just voicing your displeasure that the guy is in the neighborhood.

If something happens to him, who cares that you and all the other picketers are suspects. You did nothing wrong other than exercise your First Amendment rights. It cannot hurt to let him know, very vocally, that the entire neighborhood depises his presence.

Good luck.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
October 4, 2005, 04:19 PM
This was just this summer. I didn't follow the case too much since I don't really live near there, but townfolk in the city of Issaqah east of Seattle has had some good fortune with the courts.

http://isspress.1upsoftware.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=182&ArticleID=2788

I had a level II dipstick living next to us for a bit. We didn't know it for about a year. But he lied on his rental app so the landlord evicted him as soon as we told him. Still, he's in the area. We live rural, so it's pretty easy to notice strangers. But one can never let their guard down.

Start with your local city or county government! Pack all the kids in a house with some good armed baby sitters. And get the rest of the neighborhood voting adults to go to a council meeting and raise a stink. Also check with your local agencies, the laws in most states allow you a list of "ALL" sex offenders in town. Many even list most of the address for the b@st@rds.

-Steve

Biker
October 4, 2005, 04:46 PM
I had little trouble in making sure a cho-mo vacated my neighborhood. I alerted his neighbors in his apt. complex, I put up posters copied from the Idaho State Police website on power/telephone poles in the immediate vicinity and let his landlord know that any new renters would be informed of his presence ASAP. I also made direct eye contact with him at every opportunity and let him know that I was responsible for his troubles. His kind is uncomfortable around those who can fight back. Turn on the lights and the cockroaches will run.
He moved...
Biker

Havegunjoe
October 4, 2005, 05:15 PM
These guys are usually on a very short leash with the authorities. They have a lot of checking in and counseling to attend and one little slip up puts them back in custody. Most of them don't make it, they miss a meeting sooner or later.

The neighborhood watch can do just that, watch him. Keep an eye on his moves so he doesn't roam the neighborhood without someone knowing what he is up to. You can't harass him, but you can watch him.

iiiwew
October 4, 2005, 05:21 PM
I agree with Issac.
I do not have kids but have nephews and nices.
Parents- I know that it is tough but due to the society these days your children need to have adult supervision that you can trust all of the time.
Our society is so preverted that it cares more for child rapers than children.
Big dog(s) raised with kid, constant supervision, responsible firearm available at all times (electronic safes), mace, pocket air horn, etc.
Any time you should see the pervert, you always have a very assertive posture and do not iniciate talking to him but let him know by your attitude that he is not welcome any where near you and yours.
If you have to talk to him let him know that will protect your child with all means available to you and say it with attitude (say nothing more).
Do not go onto his property or confront him unless he come up to you or enters your property.
I keep NRA stickers on my cars and doors of my home (I know that some people thinks this invites thieves) but I have found it to be a deterent probably especially so in this situation.
I also have six very nice but very large and protective dogs as well a number of attack cats.
Eternal vigalence.

svtruth
October 4, 2005, 05:34 PM
Just as we must gun proof our children so they will know what to do if they come across a gun, they should be adult proofed or inappropriate touching proofed, what ever the term is.

charby
October 4, 2005, 06:30 PM
Try and get your city council to pass a law that restricts where they can live. Iowa has a law where a convicted child molester can no live with 2000' of a school or licensed day care. In Des Moines, Iowa which is over 300,000 in the metro are there are very few places in the area convicted sex offenders can live and there is a hub bub in the city councils of the towns that make up the area to have laws that include 2000' of parks, swimming pools and libraries, this would virtually illiminate any where in the area they can live. The sheriff's office in Polk county is telling the sex offenders that they have to move very soon or they will be forced, this is a very new law in the state of Iowa.

One town in Iowa called Ely which is between to larger towns, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, didn't have any schools or daycares so they passed a local law to include parks, swimming pools and libraries. The citizens were concerned that town would become a haven for sex offenders who were forced to move out the areas.

Remember don't harass the pedofile but get politically active and get laws made. I can't see any political party standing up for rights of child molesters except the extreme wackos.

my 2 cents

Charby

Jeff White
October 4, 2005, 06:40 PM
I am moving this to legal and political. We seem to be concentrating on passing laws, not how to proof our children against this.

Jeff

GRB
October 4, 2005, 11:48 PM
We did not seem to be concentrating on any such thing as far as I could see...... I saw a few answers mention political means to address this situation as well as a few others that talked about how to prepare children to deter peodophiles, as well as a fe others with posts on other means to address the situation including the psychological aspects of it.I thought it was pretty varied myself.

Sam
October 5, 2005, 01:56 AM
They had one up Albuquerque way last year, they just picketed him.
He hooked up his trailer and moved and they followed him everywhere he went.
Someone put some coal oil down the chimney :D and he left the state.

Sam

EvilOmega
October 5, 2005, 02:11 AM
As you plainly stated, a convicted (and probably therefore already punished)child molseter has to live somewhere.

I know the perfect place, people are just dying to get in. :evil:

If he is a child molester, not just screwed by ex-wife or something, find every possible legal way of harassing the hell out of this guy. You can officially consider any time spent making a child molesters life an insurable hell a good dead for the day.

Bad Words
October 5, 2005, 02:14 AM
Just thought I'd add that I don't think this guy's much of a threat. Molesting a step daughter is a good distance from abducting a neighbor's child. The number of guys who will cop a feel at their daughters is far greater than most people realize or be comfortable with (well I guess most people wouldn't be comfortable with a single one).

GregGry
October 5, 2005, 02:20 AM
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but in child molestation cases, more then 80% of the men that did it knew the child. People get freaked out and on alert when a known sex offender moves into the area (as you should be), but don't keep your guard down for everyone but the guy that is going to move in. When it comes to your children, its your job to keep them safe, which could mean from everyone...

pax
October 5, 2005, 12:33 PM
It is my understanding that most molesters pick children that they know and have some type of relationship with. In my practice, this is was definately true, as I never treated anyone that was molested by a stranger. All of them were molested by a relative or "family friend." My advice is to get to know all of the adults that your child interacts with on a regular basis. This includes parents of their friends, teachers, scout masters, etc.
Good advice, worth repeating.

pax

Powderman
October 5, 2005, 12:47 PM
Just thought I'd add that I don't think this guy's much of a threat. Molesting a step daughter is a good distance from abducting a neighbor's child. The number of guys who will cop a feel at their daughters is far greater than most people realize or be comfortable with (well I guess most people wouldn't be comfortable with a single one).

Not as far removed as you might believe, my friend.

Also, heed what Jeff has been saying. You must not do anything illegal--or even close to it--to protest this person coming into your area.

Stay alert, and stay vigilant. Until my children were older, the unbreakable rule was that all of their activity occurred in our line of sight. When they visited friends, we took them over, dropped them off and picked them up. They were always in our line of sight when we were out.

Stay alert, be alert, be careful.

charby
October 5, 2005, 01:01 PM
http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051005/NEWS01/510050342/1001

Offender caught with 20-month-old girl in library restroom
The man has a prior conviction in Texas for assaulting a woman.

By TOM ALEX
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

October 5, 2005

Police said a registered sex offender who lived at a Des Moines homeless shelter kidnapped a toddler Tuesday at the downtown library and sexually assaulted her in a locked men's room while employees worked to open the door.

James Carson Effler Jr., 32, grabbed the 20-month-old girl about 11 a.m. as she played on the floor near her baby sitter, who was using a library computer, investigators said.

Library employees helped the baby sitter search for the girl before they heard a child's cry. Employees then called police and removed the handle on the restroom's door to gain access and reach the girl; they held Effler until officers got there, Capt. Kelly Willis said.

"Most of the police work was done by the library staff before we even arrived," Willis said.

No one else was hurt. The child was taken to a hospital for evaluation, and her parents were contacted. The extent of her injuries was not made public.

The incident illustrates the difficulty lawmakers face in trying to attack child molestation by such measures as requiring offenders to register with the state or limiting where they may live.

Effler was convicted in Texas in 2003 for sexually assaulting a 31-year-old woman.

Javier Sambrano, public information officer for the El Paso, Texas, police department, said the conviction against Effler stemmed from a May 2002 incident in which he knocked on the door at the home of a 31-year-old woman and asked to use the telephone. Once Effler gained entry, he sexually assaulted the woman.

"They did not know each other, he was not someone she knew, but in the area where the victim lived, many of the neighbors often would ask to use the phone," Sambrano said.

He was sentenced to three years in prison and later paroled. Officials have not determined how long he has lived in Iowa.

Effler is listed on the Iowa Sex Offender Registry, but because the conviction involved an adult victim, he was not covered by a new state law that bans child molesters from living within 2,000 feet of a school or child care center.

Effler, who police say lives at Churches United Shelter, 205 15th St., reported his address to registry officials as 201 1/2 Fifth St. in West Des Moines.

He is charged with first-degree kidnapping, second-degree sexual assault and failure to comply with rules of the registry, because he was not living at the address listed. The kidnapping charge is the most serious of the three; it carries a life prison term.

The baby sitter noticed the child missing about 11 a.m., police said. She told officers the girl had been playing at her feet while she surfed the Internet at a table not far from the men's restroom on the main level of the library, 100 Locust St.

The baby sitter and library employees immediately began a search for the child, and then someone heard a child scream in the restroom and saw an adult's shadow on the other side of the frosted glass.

Library workers tried to force their way into the restroom, then called for a maintenance worker with a screwdriver.

Willis said that employees William Stokes and Pam Deitrick removed the handle and opened the door, and that they then pulled the child out of the restroom and shut Effler inside.

"They are heroes," Willis said. "They grabbed the baby and shut the door on him."

Library Director Kay Runge referred all questions about the investigation to the police.

Police have been called to the main library 51 times this year for a host of minor problems.

Tuesday's incident "was an awful thing, horrendous," Acting City Manager Rick Clark said. "We are really thankful the library staff was there and attentive and took the initiative to do something about this."

Effler was jailed in May for public urination and arrested less than a month later for drunken driving. He spent 30 days in jail, according to court records.

Records also show Effler was charged with shoplifting in Windsor Heights on Aug. 29. He was ordered to pay a $50 fine.

Doug Epperson, a psychology professor at Iowa State University who helped Minnesota officials develop guidelines to evaluate sex offenders before they are released from prison, said child abductions by strangers are rare.

"Typically, with a victim that young, it's a related perpetrator or a perpetrator who is connected in some way with the parents, or it could be a friend of the family," he said. "Normally a stranger would not have access to a victim that young."

The March abduction and murder of 10-year-old Jetseta Gage of Cedar Rapids — the man accused in her death, Roger Paul Bentley, 38, was a friend of the family — sparked Iowa lawmakers to pass a handful of laws to crack down on sex criminals.

Police Sgt. Barry Arnold said 20 to 30 of the Churches United shelter's 125 or so residents have been warned that they must move under the residency restriction law. Effler was not one of them.

Register staff writer Abby Simons contributed to this article.

Lemon328i
October 5, 2005, 01:32 PM
Well, it seems that the only solution is to protest to your legislators. Get them to pass a law that child molesters automatically get life sentences without parole or the death penalty.

This is exactly the kind of situation that shows why prison doesn't work. If these felons have paid their debt to society, then they should be free to live where they choose without harassment. If they still pose a threat to society, then they should never have been let out and clearly prison did not "rehabilitate" them. Since the law is on his side, you can protest all you want; it won't make any difference if he is determined to stay and has a good lawyer. He could sue anyone who harasses him just as easily as you can.

I feel for you, but this guy is no different than if a convicted rapist, arsonist, or murderer moved into your neighborhood; you'd just have no warning that they were there. As another poster said, your children are always at risk. You can only prepare them to protect themselves wherever they are (of course schools won't let them carry anything useful)

thorn726
October 6, 2005, 04:45 AM
on dealign with these guys, as some of the replies make me shudder a little.

pouring coal oil down his chimney?

GOOD, let's commit as many crimes as possible, do as many dishonest, evil things as possible to show how wrong he is. ARGH.

result?? guy keeps moving till he finds a place no one knows him. everyone hated him, he's already judged guilty for life, so what does he do?
MOLESTS again.

why NOT- act normal, EDucate the heck out of aLL kids in the area, make sure EVERYONE knows what guy "Is" and keep an eye on him.

i think any kid with a tiny bit of sense can avoid being molested, ESpecially if they know who to watch out for specifically, and everyone is safer in the long run.

the kicker will be when one of these days a group chases out a known molestrer and an unknown, trickier one moves in his place.

artherd
October 6, 2005, 07:28 AM
In most states the sex offender can't be within 1000 feet of a school. If he's just been released, he's certainly on parole and his parole officer is going to have to approve where he lives. I bet they have already checked to make sure the proposed residence is in compliance with the conditions of his release.

START AN OFFICALLY CHARTERED PRIVATE SCHOOL IN YOUR LIVING ROOM!!! I AM NOT KIDDING, IT WILL WORK IF HE IS WITHIN THE DISTANCE EXCLUSION.

PCGS65
October 6, 2005, 09:58 AM
If he is on parole and I'm sure he is. Keep an eye on him as I'm sure you all will. Call the police for anything illeagal he might do. If you see him drinking in his yard watch to see if he drives anywhere and keep his licence plate number written down. Call the police for loud music ect. If you get lucky maybe one of these things will be a parole violation. By calling the police that will remove you and the rest of the people in the neighborhood of possible harassment.

Tried'nTrue
October 6, 2005, 10:17 AM
Aren't there laws about how close a registered sex offender can live to schools?
Yes, there are. You can speak with your District Attorney and find out whether or not the dude is in violation. I'd talk to the DA and voice your very real concern, especially since he's a verifiable convict. Other'n that, do you have an alert dog? Always a good idea, regardles...
Sorry to pop in and out like this so quickly, I may have more cogent thought/advice later.

geekWithA.45
October 6, 2005, 11:48 AM
There was a molester in one of the neighborhoods I grew up in.

Everyone knew his name, face, and what he had done, and he was basically shunned.

Every so often, Mom & Dad would remind me not to go near X, and if X ever tried to speak to me, to run away and tell them.

And that's all there was to it, we otherwise carried on with the happy childhood thing as normal.

That is the KEY: to take the whole thing in matter-of-fact stride. Staying away from X was treated as an everyday thing, just like looking both ways before crossing the street. As a result, I did indeed have a happy childhood, without any undue stress concerning X. In fact, I forgot all about him until I saw this thread.

The advantage we have today is that pictures can be obtained for reference and reinforcement. Back then, mom or dad had to surrepticiously point X out when driving by, so I'd know what he looked like.

MudPuppy
October 6, 2005, 11:51 AM
Thorn, I'll tell you why we have to take extremes against the animals and, at times, take it to the point that the true defenders of the innocent will break the law.
1) The people that molest kids are animals. They're not right. And when you're broken in the brain and that level, you don't "get better".
2) The legal system isn't protecting these little ones from these vermin. It's obvious by the recent reports of kids being murdered by molesters that had already been caught previously.

The people that will stand and heriocally break the law to protect the helpless are in the same league as those who hid the Jews from the Nazis or the folks pulling slaves out with the underground railroad.

I'm not so warm and fuzzy that I'm willing to let the government protect my kids and trying to "educate" these vile predators--and all the while the situation continues and little ones lives are destroyed because "oh, it would be the wrong thing to be mean to these poor molesters."

Sometimes you HAVE to break to law to do what is RIGHT. There is no more sacred duty we have beyond protecting our little ones. I absolutely would want these people to repent and get forgiveness, but if it was up to me, they'd better do it quick (if you catch my meaning.)

SJG26
October 6, 2005, 01:20 PM
Seems a few known molesters have vanished over the years. I didn't say move....................I said VANISH :rolleyes:
Left behind belongings, cars, furniture, etc...............no forwarding address.

Lots of woods around here too..............................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :evil:

Kurush
October 6, 2005, 01:32 PM
Effler was jailed in May for public urinationI guess that's why peeing in public gets you on the list, it's a gateway sex offense :rolleyes:

(I know I shouldn't be making light of that gruesome story but I couldn't resist :p )

Rezin
October 6, 2005, 01:32 PM
There are probaly more in your area than you know about.

I did a search a while back on the Nat. alert registy, and there were SEVENTEEN in my small town.

TallPine
October 6, 2005, 01:34 PM
"They are heroes," Willis said. "They grabbed the baby and shut the door on him."
I don't think I would have had that much restraint... :fire:

Gordon Fink
October 6, 2005, 07:37 PM
BamBam, have you looked at the Megan’s Law map for your neighborhood? I just checked it for mine. There must be at least a dozen registered sex offenders within a half mile of my house … right here in Republican-voting, God-fearing, gun-loving Orange County. At least there aren’t any on my street … yet.

Teach your children the truth. The world isn’t a safe place, and there are monsters out there.

~G. Fink

Cosmoline
October 6, 2005, 08:18 PM
So much of this is rampant and baseless paranoia, based primarily on a few isolated incidents that get hyped up. If you are a parent, you must remember that you most likely already suffer from brain damage. The worst thing you can do is coddle your teens. Just let them know where the potential danger lies and how to avoid it.

Life is full of dangers and threats far, far greater than some guy down the street who got busted for sexual assault. The worst monsters have never been busted at all, and in most cases are members of the victim's own family.

TallPine
October 6, 2005, 08:32 PM
The worst monsters have never been busted at all, and in most cases are members of the victim's own family.
+1 :(

Which is why my father in law know longers knows where we live - which is for his protection as much as anyone else. :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Child molester moving into our neighborhood." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!