Cleaning the Forcing Cone

PDA

Kramer Krazy
October 3, 2005, 05:56 PM
The thread on cleaning the face of the cylinder got me thinking of a constant question my wife is always asking me......How do you clean the crud that accumulates around the forcing cone, especially between it and the top strap of the revolver? My wife likes to try to get her S&W 629 spotless, and that is the worse part for her to attempt to clean (BTW, her 629 is stainless).

Note: If the name of this part is not the "forcing cone", someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning the Forcing Cone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
October 3, 2005, 06:01 PM
Me? I use dental floss.

Seriously, I use a brass bore cleaning brush to scour the flat surface of the forcing cone. To clean between the forcing cone and the top strap, I use a tooth pick and/or a patch wetted with Hoppes.

Old Fuff
October 3, 2005, 06:10 PM
Brownells (www.brownells.com) sell a little tool called a "Lewis Lead Remover" that makes the job easy. They also sell a cloth that will remove all traces of lead, but use it on stainless steel, and keep it away from a blued gun.

Standing Wolf
October 3, 2005, 09:22 PM
Don't laugh at dental floss: it can be a help.

I've got an old, old, very old copper scrubbing pad that works wonders on lead and crud. As needed, I peel away a wire from the pad and use it like dental floss between the top of the breech and the top strap of the frame.

sfhogman
October 3, 2005, 09:59 PM
Flatten the end of a spent .22WMR cartridge and use it for a scraper. I use a smooth-faced machinist's vise for this purpose. Gets right in between the barrel stub and the topstrap. The soft brass is harmless to the steel gun.

Standing Wolf's copper floss sounds like a good idea, too.

Jeff

Fatelvis
October 4, 2005, 09:07 AM
I use bore solvent, and one of the brass bristled "toothbrushes" (sold by Remington), I think. Those bristles can sneak in the smallest of crevices!

Master Blaster
October 4, 2005, 11:43 AM
Hoppes brass and nylon bristle tooth brush with a large brush on one end and a small brush on the other.

JoeHatley
October 4, 2005, 11:58 AM
Lead Wipe Away cloth and a popsicle stick.

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning the Forcing Cone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!