Steyr - SA, DA or "Safe Action"????

PDA

StressPuppy
March 29, 2003, 12:55 AM
I am desperately trying to find out what the Steyr M series pistols are classified as. Are they Single Action (don't think so) or Double Action or "Safe Action" (like the Glock)??? No one can seem to give me a straight answer.

:banghead:

The ultimate goal to my inquiry is to find out what division this gun is shot in for IDPA (I posted in the competition area asking as well).

In the manual, it says that the gun has a Reset Action Safety System, whatever that means.

:confused:

HELP!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr - SA, DA or "Safe Action"????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Handy
March 29, 2003, 01:03 AM
Well, the IDPA classifications are fairly insipid, to start with. They put the P7 in ESP and a Glock 34 in SSP. Anyway...

The Steyr system is mostly like a Glock. It is neither fully cocked or completely relaxed. But it is cocked more than a Glock, just not fully cocked, like an XD.

It probably should be put in SSP with the Glocks, but realisticly, so should the completely cocked XD. Classifying a pistol by its internals rather than its trigger pull is stupid. But who knows what the geniuses who made CDP into the ".45 only division" will do next.

arinvolvo
March 29, 2003, 03:21 AM
It is similar to a Glock's safe action mechanism...

Pin seems to be about 80% cocked before the trigger is pulled...trigger pulls it the remaining 20 percent and lets it go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr - SA, DA or "Safe Action"????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!