I found an M1 carbine in the closet!

PDA

Kaylee
January 1, 2003, 08:23 PM
Well... sorta. :)

http://www.wolfhillarmory.com/grandad.jpg

This is my grandad, over on extended holiday in Europe, circa 1940's. Gramma was showing me some family pictures, and this was one of them.

She never said much about his service ... apparently he never said much of it neither. Apparently his unit was assigned to cleaning up the mess after battles. Sounds..umm... I don't think we have a word for how that sounds. :(

Anyhow... just thought I'd share. :)

-K

edit... anyone know anyone from the 70th Infantry Division, I think Company A? His name was Jesse ER Shelton.

If you enjoyed reading about "I found an M1 carbine in the closet!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
January 1, 2003, 08:25 PM
If you go to the National Archives, I'm sure you can find out more about him and his unit. BTW, what's the stain?

pax
January 1, 2003, 09:11 PM
Sounds..umm... I don't think we have a word for how that sounds.
Grim.

pax

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived. -- George S. Patton, Jr

Redlg155
January 1, 2003, 09:17 PM
Gezz..and I thought burning latrines was a bad duty during Iraq. :D

I looked at the title line and thought..wow..this lady really needs to clean more often. She needs to check her sock drawer. She might find a Colt Peacemaker in there.:p

Good Shooting
RED

Jeff White
January 1, 2003, 09:21 PM
Kaylee,

Here's a short history of the 70th Infantry Division. It came off the US Army Center for Military History website.

You can find more info here:
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/documents/eto-ob/70ID-ETO.htm

If you can find out which Regiment he was in, I can find you the regimental history on the Infantry School's website.

HTH
Jeff

70TH INFANTRY DIVISION

World War II

Activated: 15 June 1943. Overseas: 8 January 1945. Campaigns: Rhineland, Central Europe. Days of combat: 83. Distinguished Unit Citations: 1. Awards: DSC-13 ; SS-228; LM-11; SM-16 ; BSM-1,469 ; AM36. Commanders: Maj. Gen. John E. Dahlquist (June 1943-July 1944), Maj. Gen. Allison J. Barnett (July 1944-July 1945), Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Herren (July 1945 to inactivation). Returned to U. S.: 10 October 1945. Inactivated: 11 October 1945.

Combat Chronicle

The three infantry regiments of the 70th Infantry Division landed at Marseille, France, 10-15 December 1944, and were formed into Task Force Herren before the arrival of the remainder of the Division on 18 January 1945. Task Force Herren took over defensive positions along the west bank of the Rhine, 28 December 1944, in the vicinity of Bischweiler, south of Haguenau Forest. Elements took part in the fight to stop the German winter offensive, and struck at the enemy at Phillipsbourg and at Wingen. In mid-January 1945, the Task Force moved to an area directly south of Saarbrucken, where it carried out reconnaissance and combat patrols, and improved defensive positions. Upon the arrival of the remainder of the Division, Task Force Herren was dissolved. Patrolling and combat raids continued as preparations were made for an offensive drive in mid-February. On 17 February 1945, the attack jumped off just below the Saar River. The 70th drove onto high ground overlooking Saarbrucken, smashed into Forbach, took Stiring-Wendel, and continued across the Saar to take Saarbrucken, 20 March 1945. Pushing through Siegfried Line defenses along the north bank of the Saar, the Division took Volklingen and other Saarland cities and towns. In April it took part in the reduction of the Saar Basin, and after VE-day was engaged in occupational duties, with CP's at Otterberg, Bad Kreuznach, Frankfurt, and Oranienstein.

Assignments in the ETO*

20 December 1944: Seventh Army, 6th Army Group. 28 December 1944: VI Corps. 3 February 1945: XV Corps. 25 February 1945: XXI Corps. 22 March
1945: Seventh Army, 6th Army Group. 31 March 1945: 12th Army Group. 8 April 1945: Third Army, 12th Army Group.

General

Nickname: Trailblazers. Shoulder patch: Red, in shape of axe-blade with white axe-head superimposed on red background; below the axe, in white is a replica of Mount Hood, beside which is a green fir tree. Association: 70th Infantry Division Association, Col. Lee A. Bessette, 402 Chamber of Commerce Building, Pittsburgh
19, Pa. Publication: Trailblazers; by unit members; TI&E, ETOUSA; distributor, secretary, 70th Division Association; 1945.

*See footnote, 1st Infantry Division.

[Nota Bene: These combat chronicles, current as of October 1948, are reproduced from The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950, pp. 510-592.]

Betty
January 1, 2003, 09:42 PM
Cool, Kaylee! Found a photo of my grandpa recently standing with his crewmembers on front of their B17. He was a navigator and retired a Lt. Colonel. He would tell us grandkids stories sometimes, and sometimes grandma would whisper in our ears, "He's exaggerating, that's not what happened!".

So did he or did he not really fly a few feet over a farmer's head and nick his hat off? :D

Sisco
January 1, 2003, 10:36 PM
My Father was on a troop ship headed for the Phillipines when the war ended. Ship full of happy soldiers, war's over! Not quite. Seems there were still lots of Japanese soldiers up in the hills that either hadn't gotten the good news or they just didn't care.
Someone had to find them and tell them it was OK to come on down. They were only allowed to fire in self defense, biggest challenge was keeping the Phillipine nationals from killing the prisioners.

Big_R
January 1, 2003, 11:11 PM
That is so cool. While cleaning out a relative's house, we found a diary kept by my great aunt (now deceased) who lived in Germany during and after the war up to 1956 when she emigrated to the U.S. I can't speak German at all, so another relative is translating it for us. It looks very interesting, and disturbing. If I get time, I'll try to post some of it when I get it.

Ryan

Skunkabilly
January 1, 2003, 11:14 PM
Neat photo.

Most family photos were destroyed in the 1940s when fleeing China.

Traveler
January 2, 2003, 02:14 AM
Here are some books that cover the 70th ID. The unit was also mentioned in "Band of Brothers". The Trailblazers patch is now relegated to a Reserve unit in the Pacific Northwest.

70TH INFANTRY DIVISION

A Working Bibliography of MHI Sources

Arnold, Edmund C. The Trailblazers: The Story of the 70th Infantry Division. Richmond, VA: Seventieth Inf Div Assc, 1989. 299 p. #05-70.1989.

Barton, Jack. A War Remembered: 19 Dec ’44 – 20 Mar ’45. n.p., 1996. ca. 160 p. D769.3.70th.B37.1996.

Cheves, Wallace R. History of the 70th Infantry Division, "The Trailblazers." Paduch, KY: Turner, 1984. 128 p. #05-70.1984.

"Distinctive Insignia Awarded 70th Div." Army Reserve 15 (Apr 1969): p. 14. Per.

"70th Division (Training)." Army Reserve 12 (May 1966): pp. 4-5. Per.

Dixon, Steven K., comp. The 70th Infantry Division Association Home Page. Valdosta, GA: By the compiler, 1997. ca 300 p. #05-70.1997. Essentially printouts of website www.surfsouth.com/the70th.

Stanton, Shelby L. Order of Battle, U.S. Army, World War II. Novato, CA: Presidio, 1984. pp. 139-40. UA25.5S767.1984.

U.S. Army. ETO. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II: European Theater of Operations, Divisions. Paris: 1945. pp. 217-23. D767U52.

U.S. Army. Forces in the European Theater. Trailblazers. Paris: Dupont, 1945. 33 p.#05-70.1945.

U.S. Army. 70th Inf Div. 70th Division (Training) Summer Camp, 1963, Fort Leonard Wood. Baton Rouge: Army & Navy Pub, 1963. 35 p. #05-70.1963. Chiefly pictorial.

U.S. Dept of Army. Hist Div. Combat Chronicle: An Outline History of U.S. Army Divisions. Wash, DC: 1948. p. 58. #05-1948/2.

Wilson, John B., comp. Armies, Corps, Divisions and Separate Brigades. In the official Army Lineage Series. Wash, DC: CMH, 1987. pp. 401-06. UA25W547.1987. Lineage & honors from WW2 through Dec 1984.

Yarosh, Frank. World War II is Not Over: A Combat Infantryman's Experiences in a German POW Camp: 70th Infantry Division. Ambler, PA Akashic Pr, 1992. 193 p. D805G3Y37.1992.

Kaylee
January 2, 2003, 10:15 AM
1 -- Thank you VERY much Jeff, Gary, and Traveler for the historical info and tips -- this is great!

2 -- I don't know what the stain is... my guess is some kinda water damage from this or another photo in the box. They were all stored loose in a box in a closet.

3 -- Finding a Peacemaker in my sock drawer.. now THAT would be neat! Presuming I could get that oil smell out of my stockings, at any rate. :)

Wow... history is real, and not just something on TV. Ain't that cool? :p

-K

Traveler
January 2, 2003, 02:22 PM
Kaylee-

Someone who's any good with Photoshop could scan your photo and make you a print without the stain.

Just an idea.

If you contact the Department of Veteran Affairs they should be able to tell you where you can get a copy of the gentlemans service record. That will let you know just where he was and what he did in a general way. You could also find out what medals and ribbons he was awarded.

cordex
January 2, 2003, 02:29 PM
Kaylee,
If you email me a high-res scan, I'll see what I can do to clean it up.

P12
January 2, 2003, 03:00 PM
My dad served during WW2. He was in mortars. Didn't speak about it a lot.

Most I heard was about some topics brought up by a movie when I was young.

Once he said that "That damn gun don't sound like that!" I don't know the make and model of gun but the nick-name was a German "burp" gun. Stupid me asked how do you know. Well he says it's kinda hard to miss when your in the same explosion crater one when and it's so dark you cant see your hand infront of your face. That was the end of that short discussion. That's as close as any of us got to actual battle stories.

He didn't talk about the battlefield much at all. I always got the impression it was to rough for him. All we ever got was general info and good or funny stories. Can't say that I blame him.

He did pull a P38 a Lugar and a revolver of some sort from the plants after the towns were "liberated." My mom still has the P38. The Lugar was traded for a carton of cigs on the ship home. The revolver was stolen from my uncle's car.

If you enjoyed reading about "I found an M1 carbine in the closet!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!