engraved delta elite

PDA

grsmithmd
October 4, 2005, 02:25 PM
I've had this delta elite for several years, it's in storage right now....and I'm very curious to find out any information I can on it.....the pictures are not good quality....doesn't do the gun justice.......any idea what it's worth? Thank you for your help.....

grsmithmd

If you enjoyed reading about "engraved delta elite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
October 4, 2005, 02:29 PM
is it factory engraved by Colt?

That makes all the difeference.

grsmithmd
October 4, 2005, 02:55 PM
Unfortunately, I have no idea who engraved it.....no papers with it, or signatures, just the gun and the very sturdy, nice case.....about a year ago, I wrote to Colt and never heard back.......

grsmithmd

sc1911cwp
October 5, 2005, 10:59 AM
Is it the P.Diddy model?

Johnny Guest
October 5, 2005, 12:10 PM
Dr. Smith(?), it appears from the rather unclear images that you may very well have a factory engraved pistol. Looks a lot like Colt grade "C" engraving. You could probably get a firmer answer if you could have some better photos taken.

I suggest you go to the Colt Archive site at - -
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp
and read it carefully. The price for their very nice "Factory Letter" is not low, but it is probably worthwhile for ANY custom grade Colt. You're probably looking at the basic $100 fee, plus a special fee for an engraved model.

If I was doing the research, I believe I'd phone Colt's and tell them I simply want to verify that this is a factory engraving job, and that, if so, I'd be sending them a check for a factory letter. They MAY want to charge you the basic $25 fee for phone research, so have a credit card handy when you call.

Difficult to tell, but it appears your pistol wears a set of Jay Scott "Pearllite" stocks - - Just plastic laminated to a dark background. Whether factory or aftermarket engraving, such a nice pistol deserves nicer stocks. Ideal would probably be aged, yellowish, ivory, preferably relief carved. Though somewhat delicate, genuine mother-of-pearl has a lot of character, General Patton's remarks notwithstanding. Me, I'd probably look for a nice set of slender stag, but checked ebony would be very nice on the silver-color pistol.

This appears to be a very nice piece, and it can be considered somewhat rare - - The Delta Elites are seldom seen with engraving. This sort of embelishment is more often ordered on Government Model .45s, revolvers of various types, or the more petite "Lady's pistol."

Please let us know what you learn.
Best,
Johnny

Stevie-Ray
October 6, 2005, 11:39 PM
It's probably not worth much of anything. How much do you want for it?

Moonclip
October 7, 2005, 12:51 AM
kb4ifs, it's just "Diddy" now, where have you been? :)

If you enjoyed reading about "engraved delta elite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!