Indiana Memorial Union Shooting Range?

PDA

ZeroX
October 4, 2005, 11:02 PM
According to this link http://www.packing.org/range/indiana/range.php?range=213 and El Tejon (who says to be the former rangemaster), there is a shooting range under the Union here at IU. I went to look for it about 20 minutes ago, following the directions from the link. There was a door as described but it was locked (it was well before 9). There's no information about it past 2001 on IU's website and nothing indicating its existence inside the Union (which actually isn't too shocking, I doubt they'd advertise it). What's the deal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Indiana Memorial Union Shooting Range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Boss Spearman
October 5, 2005, 12:31 AM
Maybe the sheep that are scared of guns got it shut down?

ZeroX
October 5, 2005, 01:11 AM
Maybe the sheep that are scared of guns got it shut down?

That's likely.

m39fan
October 5, 2005, 08:39 AM
According to the neighbor, who is affiliated with IU, that's exactly what happened. Don't worry, it sounds like it was a mixed blessing anyway. Friends that were on campus during the "bad old days" said using the range was a good way to make enemies of the liberal profs and fellow students.

Post here if you need another place to shoot and I'm sure someone can hook you up!

Take Care,
Mike

Thin Black Line
October 5, 2005, 09:30 AM
Yes, IU had a nice little indoor range. The school had quite a few donated
.22 Remington competition rifles and Ruger pistols for the Rifle Class and
for the IU Rifle and Pistol Club. There were many classes and club meetings
held at the indoor range.

The Union did away with the range in the early 1990s. Rumor was the
space was converted into a break room for union employees.....all
further mention of the range is verbotten.

ShackleMeNot
October 5, 2005, 09:50 AM
The range was still around when I was at IU until '96.

CAS700850
October 5, 2005, 09:54 AM
My wife is an I.U. grad, so I've spent many a football weekend at the Union. I'd imagine that an indoor range there may have been shut down for environmental (lead) issues as much as political issues. Can't imagine it was "modern" in terms of lead contamination.

Does IU still have competitive shooting teams?

El Tejon
October 5, 2005, 12:30 PM
Did the university shut it down? :confused: Man, have to get down there more. :scrutiny:

Zero, I was there from '87 to '91.

ZeroX
October 5, 2005, 09:41 PM
Damn, I was afraid of that. It would have been so conveniant too, I'm a 5 minutes walk away.

Erich
October 6, 2005, 02:54 PM
I was there from '84-'88, pre-Tejon rangemaster days (Otter Melaniphany (?) was the rangemaster I remember). Man, did I shoot a lot of rounds in there. I'd go shoot every day. I was told that the backstop was good for a .458 Winchester, but who knows? Biggest thing I shot in there was a .357. :)

El Tejon
October 6, 2005, 06:48 PM
Erich, my sophomore year when Cam was Rangemaster some knucklehead cop brought in his 870 to "sight in" for deer slugs.

The backstop held, but the slug came back to see us! :what: :uhoh:

I nearly dropped my copy of Guns & Ammo. :D

Jimbobillybob
October 6, 2005, 11:15 PM
I remember the range and Cam... He was a sore loser when I out-shot him :evil:

Thin Black Line
October 7, 2005, 02:46 AM
Poor Cam had to enforce IU's unwritten unoffical policy of banning CCW
holders from carrying on their person into the indoor range.....

Erich
October 7, 2005, 01:10 PM
(I'm assuming Cam was the large former Marine guy who came to work there in Spring of '88?) As I recall, he just about choked when I took my .357 out from my IWB. There was some pantywaist professor type shooting a .22 rifle with his son who complained, and then Cam told me I had to get a case to carry in the unloaded revolver or I couldn't use the range anymore.

I was just about to graduate and the weather had gotten better, so I simply declined to return. Last time I was ever there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Indiana Memorial Union Shooting Range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!