Some judges are still doing things the right way.

PDA

Clean97GTI
October 5, 2005, 12:42 AM
Just a short story that I thought High Roader's might like.

This morning, I was in North Las Vegas justice court to appear because of a speeding ticket. I arrive early, check in and await my turn as this court requires everyone to appear before a judge. The court goes through its dockit in alphabetical order and as my last name falls in the M's, I had a while to wait.

One of the guys ahead of me gets called and greets the judge. The judge responds and is polite as he reads through the charges and asks for the man's pleas. The charges are pretty serious including possesion of cocaine and a firearm. The man pleads guilty to all charges and is awaiting sentence recomendation from city atty. The attorney is a little behind as he shuffles through papers, then he turns to the defendant and asks for the man's green card. The man replies that he doesn't have one.
Now, this catches the judge's attention. The judge asks him very directly if he is here legally. The man responds negatively and the judge's pleasant demeanor immediately disappears. I swear, you could hear the defendant thinking "Oh s***."
The judge immediately orders the man taken into custody and instructs the clerk to contact the ATF and the US Attorney. He then addresses the man and says (I'm paraphrasing here) "You don't sneak into MY country, sell drugs and carry guns!" "You let all your friends know that I'm not playing around and I don't think the sentence you'll get is long enough."

The whole time, I'm thinking that this judge has the right idea and its too bad his thoughts on the matter aren't echoed in Washington.
I would have liked to catch the judge after court and ask his opinions on things of this matter. He seemed like a very tough, but fair man with an excellent understanding of how laws are to be applied. He also seemed to have a sense of justice that seems to be lacking in other courts. Shame really that a small town judge is doing it right in a small town when he could be doing it right on a bigger stage.

Judge VanLandschoot, you're a good man.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some judges are still doing things the right way." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
October 5, 2005, 01:47 AM
Wish we had more like him!

Henry Bowman
October 5, 2005, 09:39 AM
So how did it go on your speeding ticket?

dolanp
October 5, 2005, 10:19 AM
Shame really that a small town judge is doing it right in a small town when he could be doing it right on a bigger stage.

That's the problem really, because if he was on a bigger stage the Jesse Jackson types would be coming out calling him a racist anti-immigration bigot and all of that garbage. :barf:

Clean97GTI
October 5, 2005, 12:14 PM
My speeding ticket was only 10 over.
Went in, plead No Contest, paid my fine and I have to attend traffic school sometime in the next 30 days.
Ticket reduced to a non-moving violation and no points on my record.

Next time, I'll be more careful. Fairly inexpensive lesson learned. I'd imagine mine was a nice break after some of the other more colorful characters in the court that day.

The ones that amazed me were the people who had come back to court and hadn't completed their assigned work programs (usually for more serious offenses)
All they had to do was show up, work as required and they avoid jail time. Guess they like the accomadations. :rolleyes:

Gordon Fink
October 5, 2005, 06:37 PM
The whole time, Iím thinking that this judge has the right idea and its too bad his thoughts on the matter arenít echoed in Washington.

Donít worry. A lot of the folks in Washington, D.C., think you shouldnít have guns or the wrong drugs either.

~G. Fink

Standing Wolf
October 5, 2005, 11:43 PM
Shame really that a small town judge is doing it right in a small town when he could be doing it right on a bigger stage.

Yeah, but he's not a crony of the rich and powerful.

Crosshair
October 6, 2005, 12:57 AM
OK, you need to find this judges favorite beer. We can all pitch in and buy him a keg of it. :cool:

c_yeager
October 6, 2005, 03:52 AM
Yeah, i love judges who are all about calling the ATF cause someone was "carrying guns". Notice that the *one* federal agency that wasnt named was the INS?

Molon Labe
October 6, 2005, 12:23 PM
i love judges who are all about calling the ATF cause someone was "carrying guns".Yea, I was kind of thinking the same thing.

IMO his biggest crime was coming here illegally. He had a gun? So what? He has a right to keep and bear arms...

ChiefPilot
October 6, 2005, 12:39 PM
Wow. We do need more judges like this one.

IMO his biggest crime was coming here illegally. He had a gun? So what? He has a right to keep and bear arms...

Sorry, I disagree with this. His biggest crime was possessing cocaine, which was then amplified by carrying a weapon, in addition to being here illegally.

Alex45ACP
October 6, 2005, 12:46 PM
Whoop de do.

Carrying a gun and possessing drugs, two things that shouldn't even be illegal.

I'm glad he got caught for being an illegal alien though.

Molon Labe
October 6, 2005, 01:48 PM
His biggest crime was possessing cocaine, which was then amplified by carrying a weapon, in addition to being here illegally.Oh, I see. So keeping and bearing arms is a privilege bestowed upon people who adhere to government-defined rules. :rolleyes:

GunnySkox
October 6, 2005, 03:04 PM
Uhm, I think he probably had them call the ATF since, if the fellow was a DRUG DEALER and an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT that his weapon was probably acquired in some MASSIVELY ILLEGAL fashion; the ATF probably wants him to find out who sold him the gun, to aid in any investigation into illegal arms trafficking that might be going on.

:rolleyes:

~GnSx

ChiefPilot
October 6, 2005, 03:08 PM
Oh, I see. So keeping and bearing arms is a privilege bestowed upon people who adhere to government-defined rules.

No, keeping and bearing arms is a right for law abiding U.S. citizens. Your hero was neither.

:scrutiny:

RealGun
October 6, 2005, 03:30 PM
On a grander stage, perhaps the Supreme Court would rule that an illegal immigrant was denied due process. :rolleyes:

This morning the Senate passed a bill to grant special rights to Gitmo detainees. My sense of right and wrong does not include being impractical, certainly not suicidal. Their prisoners get decapitated. Ours get special laws to make them comfortable.

Gordon Fink
October 6, 2005, 05:43 PM
No, keeping and bearing arms is a right for law abiding U.S. citizens.Ö

Wrong. The right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, bestowed not by government butóas some would have itóby God.

~G. Fink

ChiefPilot
October 6, 2005, 06:49 PM
Wrong. The right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, bestowed not by government butóas some would have itóby God.

The affirmation of that right is not contained in a document that has world-wide jurisdiction but rather in one that applies only in the United States. That the B.O.R. affirms or grants rights is not at issue here, but rather that the right is affirmed for citizens of the U.S..

Our hero is an admitted criminal here illegally. Sorry, no rights for you. And that is how it should be.

Molon Labe
October 6, 2005, 07:15 PM
The affirmation of that right is not contained in a document that has world-wide jurisdiction but rather in one that applies only in the United States. That the B.O.R. affirms or grants rights is not at issue here, but rather that the right is affirmed for citizens of the U.S..I see. So I have a right to bear arms only as long as a government recognizes it. :rolleyes:

ChiefPilot... every human on this earth has the right to keep and bear arms. Furthermore,

- This right does not come from the UN's Declaration of Rights. (Blasphemy!)

- This right does not come from the government. (Our government does not have the authority.)

- This right does not come from the Constitution / Bill of Rights. (Our Bill of Rights does not give us any rights; it simply says that the government won't take them away.)

- This right does not come from the Founding Fathers. (Our Founding Fathers did not have the authority.)

- This right does not come from the Declaration of Independence.

Our natural rights pre-date government, and thus do not depend on the government for their existence. They can only come from one source: God. (Or if you prefer, our "Creator.") In other words, you're born with them.

Now having said that, if you live in a country where guns are prohibited (e.g. Japan), you still have a right to keep and bear arms. But the government has prohibited you from exercising this right.

Understand, now? ;)

RealGun
October 6, 2005, 07:43 PM

~G. Fink

I certainly wouldn't say that. Arms are just tools. Needing arms is a practical matter. I consider self defense to be an instinctive reaction to danger and then of a much higher order, spiritual if one chooses to look at it that way.

Allowing that one might own and use weapons respects and facilitates the right of self defense and self determination. Using the law to declare and protect a right to own and carry weapons is a social contract. What use of those weapons is considered acceptable is also a social contract. We are not and never will be free to use weapons at will.

If their was a better weapon that weighed about 20 ounces less and fit in my pocket, I would be happy to carry something other than a gun and then do all my shooting at the range.

Gordon Fink
October 6, 2005, 08:38 PM
Our wonderful Bill of Rights merely establishes a legal framework in which we can contest violations and infringements of our natural rights. Without it, our only alternative would be force.

Rights are inalienable. They can neither be taken nor given away. The only way to deprive a man of his rights is to kill him.

~G. Fink

RealGun
October 6, 2005, 09:00 PM
Our wonderful Bill of Rights merely establishes a legal framework in which we can contest violations and infringements of our natural rights.

Once we agree via the law what those rights might be. I believe that is the central issue on the abortion question, assisted suicide, right to die, and many would contend RKBA on the State and local level.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some judges are still doing things the right way." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!