Ammo Paperwork--20 years out of date...

PDA

musher
October 5, 2005, 03:56 AM
Recently I had an interesting conversation with an Alaska State Trooper.

We were discussing a case he was in the process of working out. Someone had shot some animals and left them to die. He and another trooper had recovered 2 bullets from the carcasses and determined that the caliber used was a 270.

When I was talking with him he casually stated that 'to buy ammo you have to show ID and have your name and address logged by the vendor.' He then continued by saying he had examined the 'logs' of the vendor in the village near where this event had happened (in Alaska) and had located a person who had purchased a box of 270 ammo on September 1 and again on September 23. These dates spanned the approximate date when the offense had occured.

He was planning to go to a judge in an attempt to get a warrant to seize the rifle of the fellow who had purchased the ammo (for ballistic testing). As it turned out, he didn't need the warrant because he got the guy to confess.

Later, I asked him what law he thought required the logging of ammo purchases. He at first said it was a federal law. When I mentioned the record keeping and FFL requirements for dealing in ammunition had been repealed in federal law in 1985, he then speculated that perhaps state law required it (it doesn't). I pointed out that buying ammo in Fred Meyers in Fairbanks required no more than a twenty and a smile. He allowed that maybe there wasn't a legal requirement any more, but that a great number of cases had been made and continued to be made from the records kept by village stores selling ammuntion. He wasn't going to spill the beans to the village stores.

What do you think? It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it took 20 years before the vendors in remote Alaska finally complied with federal law. Now 20 years after the repeal, these same vendors continue to comply with a law long since off the books.

No doubt it's good police work, after all he got his man. However, it did bother me a bit to hear the cavalier attitude towards allowing, even encouraging, village vendors to continue complying with a law that no longer exists.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Paperwork--20 years out of date..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Moparmike
October 5, 2005, 04:08 AM
If I were near* any of those villages, I would go to the stores with a copy of the repeal, seeking to buy ammo. Any ammo would suffice, like a $3 box of .22lr.

*Near* being a subjective term in Alaska...

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Paperwork--20 years out of date..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!