best ankle rig?

PDA

medic_guns
October 5, 2005, 07:40 AM
I am going to start wearing boots and an ankle rig. The gun is the 342 S&W. Who here uses an ankle rig? Are any of them comfortable?

Thanks,
Ric

If you enjoyed reading about "best ankle rig?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jojosdad
October 5, 2005, 07:54 AM
What kind of boots? Lace-up or slip on?
I wear cowboy boots and have found that an ankle holster is too large for them. I carry a Taurus 605 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster instead. I just slip it in the top of my boot and it rides there real nicely. Tried carrying it loose in the boot but started to wear the blue off of the muzzle, and the piece would slip too far down to be accessable. This has worked fine for me.

shooting time
October 5, 2005, 08:58 AM
I use a ankle rig with a model 60 S&W Have been using it for 20 yrs or more in ankle rig you get used to it and don't even know it is there .The rig is a nylon type with velcro simular to unckle mikes type I think it was A&B industries who made it and I don't know if they are around anymore.I just purchased a smart carry and do not like it as much as the ankle holster.I think i am going to send it back.

SnubbyMan
October 5, 2005, 09:11 AM
Check out Renegade models out of Arizona.

cookekdjr
October 5, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'm also looking for an ankle rig for a J-frame, but won't be wearing boots. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

David

Texas Colt
October 5, 2005, 09:53 AM
Take a look at the DeSantis Apache ankle holster. I wear mine almost every day to carry my Colt Cobra. It fits right inside the top of my cowbot boots so that the butt of the gun is just above the top of the boot.

If you are going to carry a gun in an ankle rig, be sure to get plenty of practice with the draw. It takes time to get that hang of pulling the pant leg up and drawing, but it can be done rather quickly, especially from a kneeling position.

obiwan1
October 5, 2005, 11:51 AM
Alessi ankle holster or Ken Null ankle holsters are thought to be the best. Expensive, but good.

vmr357
October 5, 2005, 04:43 PM
I thought I'd try the NAA ankle holster for my little Guardian. Their holster is a nylon, stretchy thing made by DeSantis I think. It didn't work at all. All the weight was in the grip frame and magazine. The band would stretch and let the gun fall out. Not a good setup. I've heard better reports on leather rigs. My two cents.
Vern

Kurt
October 6, 2005, 12:05 AM
Ken Null +1

medic_guns
October 11, 2005, 09:10 PM
I guess a holster clipped to the top of the boot shaft would be ok. It is lightweight. But I am thinking of getting a G26. I do not believe that it would ride around on top of the boot real well. What about one of those clips that can be installed on the revolver? That would clip it to the boot real nice. I just dont want to chance it falling out. I will be using that mode of carry for work. :evil: Dont want the boss to know. :cool:

The Goose
October 13, 2005, 12:26 PM
I wear a Galco Cop ankle band for my 342. I wear it a lot and it is very comfortable. Also very secure, no wobble.

JCM298
October 13, 2005, 09:37 PM
I've used ankle holsters for 40 years and I think I've tried at least six different brands. The most comfortable is the Renegade:

602-482-6777

The company is in Phoenix, AZ. I've never found a web site.

I always carried a revolver in an ankle holster. Dirt, lint, hair, and dead skin tends to accumulate there and could easily clog up an auto.

John

HighVelocity
October 13, 2005, 09:51 PM
I am really happy with the Galco Ankle glove for the j-frame. It has held up very well and it's very comfortable.

Soap
October 13, 2005, 10:03 PM
I am really happy with the Galco Ankle glove for the j-frame. It has held up very well and it's very comfortable.

+1

If you enjoyed reading about "best ankle rig?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!