S&W 637 bead finish

PDA

Kacerdias
October 5, 2005, 12:12 PM
When I bought this particular airweight revolver it had a beautiful bead-blasted finish. It hasn't been over a year and it's flaking badly. Most of it appears damaged from areas where my skin makes contact with it. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm not THAT acidic. I haven't used any solvents except Breakfree and a soft-bristled toothbrush. What's up with S&W putting crappy finishes on their guns? :mad:

What would you recommend I get as a replacement finish that won't wear out? Tennifer? Gunkote? Hard chrome? I'd probably finish everything except the cylinder since it doesn't appear to have the same weak finish as the rest of the frame.

This is my uber-concealable piece for when I can't hide anything else in the Texas heat. Cooler months I'll be going to a Walther P99c.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 637 bead finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Master Blaster
October 5, 2005, 12:42 PM
The fact that the frame is aluminium and the barrel and cylinder/yoke are stainless steel is going to make refinishing by an aftermarket company Challenging, since they will have to use two different processes. I would call Smith & Wesson and complain, the gun is under warranty and it should not cost you a penny to get it refinished, maybe they could hard annodize the aluminium frame???

My 642 is losing its finish as well, but mine is rubbing off from 2+ years of daily carry.

pcf
October 5, 2005, 12:45 PM
Smith & Wesson will refinish the gun for free (and pay shipping), call them at 800-331-0852.

TheEgg
October 6, 2005, 05:37 PM
I had exactly the same thing happen.

What you are seeing peeling off is a spray-on coating, on there for the sole purpose of more closely matching the finish on the aluminum parts and the stainless steel parts.

After I got over how mad I was at such a cheap and ineffective finishing method, I simply cleaned all the flaking crap off, and decided I did not care a wit about the color difference -- and that is all there is, a color difference.

If you send it back to S&W, you will get the same spray on finish you started with. Do like I did, learn to live with it. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 637 bead finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!