Threat Status of Home Invasions

PDA

Zeabed
October 5, 2005, 05:48 PM
What frequently happens is that we're made aware of a worsening urban situation only when it happens to us or to someone close to us. A case in point is home invasions. We certainly won't learn about it from the media until it's too late and things have gotten so bad they can't ignore it. And then the media'll just give it a politically correct spin to control our perception of the situation and deaden our outrage I live in South Florida. By keeping more or less alert I seem to be catching vibes from conversations over the internet, etc., that concern (or realization) is growing regarding home invasion robberies. In my area, home invasions used to occur in specific sectors and were explained away as drug traffickers shaking down other drug traffickers. Now it seems that the practice of home invasion is becoming more generalized and affecting more of us, wherever you live and whoever you are. Is this an erroneous, semi-paranoid perception on my part, or am I just smelling the coffee after waking up? :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Threat Status of Home Invasions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Alex45ACP
October 5, 2005, 06:05 PM
just smelling the coffee after waking up?

Zeabed
October 5, 2005, 07:01 PM
FYI: "Wake up and smell the coffee" is the old, highly popular saying that means: to become aware of what is happening, recognize the situation, experience reality as an epiphany, get with the program. So what I meant is: was I wrong in thinking there is a problem, or did I wake up and smell the coffee, i.e., was I right in experiencing concern about this issue, was I...Oh, what the hell. I give up.

James T Thomas
October 5, 2005, 07:15 PM
The home invasion phenomenon here in the 'burgh region seems to be increasing at a moderate rate.

However, it seems to be particulary occuring to the feeble elderly, and then those who have had some recent and indiscrete public display, by themselves, of their financial status. Someone bad had taken notice of them.

They are pitiful, because these loving souls are of a more trusting, gentler, sacrificing generation. My grandparent, mother and dad type -bless them.

From their own; archaic viewpoint. "People like that (the criminal) ought to be horsewhipped!"

Saw some threads in the Rifle Country forum of how old Cooper should be let out to pasture. Perhaps that old feeble man might give some home invaders a welcome!

After the horsewhipping, I would add some additional punishment.

Mannlicher
October 5, 2005, 07:25 PM
you might be interpolating incomplete information based on your fears, or concerns. Why not just call the agency responsible for the police in your area, and ask them for a break down by zip code of home invasions in your area. Its not a secret, they will be glad to tell you. That way, with real info, you can probably rest easier at night.

Bobo
October 5, 2005, 09:17 PM
I believe your perception is correct. This nation is going down hill fast!

In the past there were break-ins and burglaries, but there was little threat of "home invasion" as we know it today. Most criminals in the past were looking to 'score big' with as little hassle as possible. Home break-ins were usually done at night while hopefully everyone was asleep; or if during the day, when the house was unoccupied. They wanted no trouble. All they wanted was the 'loot'.

Today a gang will bust through your door in broad daylight and kill or maim anyone in their way without any concern for life, limb, or property; all for a DVD or a TV, or maybe just because it's "fun".

I've been around sixty-seven years and never owned a gun - never felt the need. I woke up and smelled the coffee about a year ago. Did a lot of research, asked a lot of questions, have taken many measures to thwart home invasion during this time including buying my first gun last week.

BTW I live in a "nice" city in a fairly up-scale neighborhood.

It's a real shame that this is happening. I believe the pendulum will begin to swing the other way, but not before things get quite a bit worse.

junyo
October 5, 2005, 10:55 PM
Historically, the news media has always emphasized bad news and crime, thus the common perception that crime is rampant and the streets unsafe. "If it bleeds it leads." So if anything, the media tends to overstate crime. While crimes do occur and some areas are safer than others, by any reliable measure violent crime in this country has been trending down for the last 3 decades, even in urban areas. It would take a sudden localized completely anomalous crime bubble for strongarm robbery to suddenly become commonplace without the media alerting the public, regardless of their agenda. None of that means you don't keep you're wits about you and maintain vigilance and preparedness for whatever might arise. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you...

Dave R
October 6, 2005, 12:10 AM
This is only a vague impression, but it seems to me that home invasions drop off real fast if the local paper prints a story about a homeowner successfully defending him/herself with a firearm.

Jeff White
October 6, 2005, 12:49 AM
You don't really believe that there is some kind of conspiracy between criminal gangs, the media and the government to cover up home invasion robberies, do you?

If you haven't noticed; If it bleeds, it leads is what the media is all about. Stories about armed invaders kicking in doors and raping and pillaging would sell a lot of papers and get lots of people to tune into the local newscasts. I don't think home invasions are on the rise at all. Still pretty rare unless you're dealing drugs for a living or a sideline.

BTW I'm moving this to legal and political.

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2005, 01:01 AM
Is this an erroneous, semi-paranoid perception on my part, or am I just smelling the coffee after waking up?

In my rural part of Colorado, home invasion would probably be tantamount to suicide. Heck, even the sweet little old blue-haired grammas have deer rifles.

Nationwide, I'd guess it's on the increase: criminals aren't getting any smarter, but more and more of them are operating in larger and larger groups. The laws in some parts of the country favor the invaders. It's got to be easier for a dozen young thugs to terrorize a couple retirees and walk away with a few hundred dollars' worth of loot than for each to specialize in a particular form of crime.

Dogs tend to form packs.

TonkinTwentyMil
October 6, 2005, 03:13 AM
... which turned out to be a case of Breaking Into The Wrong House! There's some lessons-learned here, so I'll share the story.

This actually happened years ago, one cold Christmas night, when I lived in a rural area with pretty nice "mini-ranch" homes. While playing with my new-gift scanner radio, I heard the local sheriff dispatcher responding to a citizen's plea for help: some cretins were trying to kick-in his back door. When the dispatcher gave the address to a patrolling deputy (who was 10 miles away), I instantly new it was MY neighbor (200 yards from my house)!

I already had a .38 snubby in a pocket, and it took me 10 seconds to (a) grab my coat, (b) plus a nearby Colt Commander and (c) my freshly-charged big Mag flashlight, (d) tell my wife to double check our doors and stand-by with the Mini-14, (e) switch to Code Orange, (f) and haul ash outta there.

It took me less than 1 minute to run to my neighbor's house (uphill). When the cretins saw my big flashlight beam a-searching, Punk #1 took off, running through the hills. Punk #2 was too drugged-out to run far... and he was scared spitless by my, umm, "command presence." I captured him and made him spread-eagle on the frozen-hard ground.

I heard the police siren waaaay off in the distance. When I spotted his ov'hd lights (2 miles down the mountain), I could tell the cop was lost. I used my big Mag light to guide him in to the crime scene. When he finally arrived, he thanked me... and indicated he was a green rookie deputy who'd got stuck with the thinly-staffed Holiday night duty! He had no idea where to start.

So, I "coached" him. Told him to (a) cuff the punk on the ground, (b) search the punk's nearby car, and (c) run the punk's plate. In 5 minutes the punk's car came back "stolen"... and used in a recent liquor store armed robbery!

Well, in 15 minutes, a squadron of state and county LEO's showed up to launch a manhunt for the off-in-the-hills Punk #1. Since they didn't know the terrain well, and since I was armed, trained by a national "name" pistol expert, a civicly-reputable and credible Vietnam vet (albeit, umm, "violence-prone," as Hollywood tells us), they deputized me to help lead the manhunt... searching nearby homes and out-buildings.

We never found Punk #1 that night, but he was captured a week later when he crashed another car he stole that night.

So... why'd they try to break into my neighbor's house?

Well, six months later, I discovered that ANOTHER nearby neighbor was a big drug dealer. HIS house looked much like the first neighbor's house! From a little sniffing around, I learned that the Punks just got the wrong house! It was some kind of big Dealer dispute! Remember, this was a "nice" neighborhood and I had moved from So********** to get away from stuff like this!

(Lesson #1: You NEVER get away from it.)

If something like this happened to you -- or a neighbor -- would you have the equipment, training (and cojones) Ready-To-Go at a moment's notice? So much for having your guns all locked-up/tied-up in pink ribbons From/For The Children. (Ya listening, "Americans For Gun Safety"?)

So: Do you live in a "nice" area? Crime-free? Do your "nice" neighbors have occasional dealings with folks that appear respectable... but are actually dangerous to YOUR health? Do you have other neighbors whose nice-nice lifestyle is tantamount to just placing a sign on their lawn reading "Gun-Free Zone -- Criminals Enter Here?"

P.S.: My neighbor (a hard-core pacifist-lefty) never thanked me for saving his/his family's bacon. And... HE actually had "Mondale For President" and "Ban Handguns" bumper stickers on his car. That's when I learned that the Culture War runs deep.

Would YOUR neighbors come-a-runnin' for YOU?

Final Lesson: When YOU need the cavalry -- YOU are the cavalry.

c_yeager
October 6, 2005, 03:48 AM
What frequently happens is that we're made aware of a worsening urban situation only when it happens to us or to someone close to us. A case in point is home invasions. We certainly won't learn about it from the media until it's too late and things have gotten so bad they can't ignore it.

Hm, my experience is the exact opposite. It seems to me that the media takes events that are EXTREMELY uncommon, and digs as deep as possible to make them appear to be happening all over the place. Its a well established fact that people watch the news when they are scared, do you really think that the news would take action to keep frightening information from your ears?

Robert Hairless
October 6, 2005, 04:04 AM
The story is that when Willie Sutton, the notorious bank robber, was asked why he robbed banks he is supposed to have answered, "Because that's where the money is."

It makes sense that home invaders think the same way. Why should they specialize in breaking into the homes in poor neighborhoods when there's more to get from the nicer houses of middle class people, especially because middle class people are taught to be victims.

In fact, if you think about it from the criminal's point of view, middle class people were created and raised to be victims. Middle class people work hard, spend their money on nice things with resale value, and keep cash on hand. They're trained to be submissive when faced with violence and taught to give bullies whatever they want without resisting. Unfortunately middle class people tend to report violence to the police and might testify against any home invaders the police happen to catch, so there's no reason to keep the victims of home invasions alive as witnesses. Besides, there's entertainment value in raping, torturing, and murdering middle class people while they beg to be spared.

When you think about it there's at least a coincidental relationship between home invaders who want to burgle, steal, rape, torture, and murder, and the people who advise the potential victims to not resist home invaders or other criminals. Criminals want to prey on unresisting people and advisors like middle class moms and dads, teachers, the Brady Campaign, politicians like Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, and many police chiefs advise people not to resist.

That's a good working relationship. It helps criminals to pursue their chosen profession. And it makes middle class homes an excellent venue for home invaders.

TonkinTwentyMil
October 6, 2005, 04:27 AM
CYeager: the news media never reported my (above) case. (I even mentioned it to a news reporter friend!) Gosh, I wonder why?

Robert Hairless: ya hit the nail on the head re how middle-class/cultural conditioning trains us to be victim-in-waiting Sheeple. My (above) neighbor was a classic example of that. While certain military training can go a long way in overcoming such conditioning, the American academic/news media cultural cabal's message is: "Don't Fight Back. Weapons Are Eeevil. Utilize Intelligent (*cough*) Conflict Resolution. Appease Them, Or Somebody Might Get Hurt."

Accordingly, we've begat an increasingly conflict-averse society that could not/would not fight WWII (see Iraq/WOT).

beaucoup ammo
October 6, 2005, 12:44 PM
Certainly location and preparation can lessen the odds..however, scum bags.. for whatever reason (theft, rape, drugs,etc.).. will go after what they want or need regardless of how many "security signs, beware of dog signs" or more advanced security measures such as alarm systems, etc. you may employ around your place....But....

Only YOU can protect yourself, and YOU are the only one to depend on.

I can give you many examples..we can trade war stories all day..but weapons of a lethal caliber placed around the house, is the only sure fire way to save your life and your family's. No profound statement..just the bottom line (IMO).

If you've experienced threatening, violent situations, as I unfortunately have, you want to be able to control things.. and be the one left standing.

I use a power wheel chair or cane around my property on occassion, and deemed an "easy target" by some who live in my general area.

I view them as mutant thugs to be delt with accordingly.

Some say I'm paranoid..I say I'm smart. Be prepared..be armed.

Take Care

TonkinTwentyMil
October 6, 2005, 02:25 PM
Good post, Beaucoup.

Y'all keep up the, umm, "paranoid" preparation. As we've both apparently discovered:

1. Tactical thinking based on (politically incorrect) Street Sense...

2. Plus eternal readiness for Unscheduled Target Practice...

... are the keys to not becoming another chalk outline on the ground.

Those who condemn such attitudes as "Neanderthal" and "Not For The Common Good" are NEVER there when the goblins suddenly appear from the shadows. That's when the issue starkly becomes: are YOU the Target... or, are THEY the Target?

Regrettably, the majority of folks have unknowingly submitted to the prevailing cultural conditioning ("Don't fight back! Somebody might get hurt!") that just makes them prime Victims-In-Waiting.

Keep the faith, bro'.

Master Blaster
October 6, 2005, 02:29 PM
They used to call them robberies, or armed robberies or burglaries / breakins with people home.

The somebody came up with the Cool sounding new buzzword, HOME INVASION, It sounds much more exciting and sells papers and advertising better.

foghornl
October 6, 2005, 03:58 PM
The Bad Guys have figured out that there is less profit percentage in robbing the poor. So, they get a car, and move out to the more affluent 'burbs.

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2005, 04:42 PM
Lesson #1: You NEVER get away from it.

Yep. It's an extremely dull-witted criminal who doesn't have a car, know somebody with a car, or know somebody bright enough to figure out how to steal a car.

TallPine
October 6, 2005, 07:28 PM
Today a gang will bust through your door in broad daylight and kill or maim anyone in their way without any concern for life, limb, or property; all for a joint or an ounce of cocaine, or maybe just because it's "fun".

;) :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that ... though I hadn't thought much before about the druggies getting the wrong address, too .... :uhoh:

Double Naught Spy
October 6, 2005, 07:44 PM
I believe your perception is correct. This nation is going down hill fast!

Actually, however, we are at a 30 year low in crime, so I don't know what the hell you are talking about in regard to our nation going down hill fast. My guess is that you, like each successive generation, recall the past with the clarity of an elderly person where the past is always better than the present. Heck, my own father grew up during the Great Depression in a sharecropper family and talks about what a good life he had growing up.

It is difficult to directly compare the past with the present as they are separated by the gulf of time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Threat Status of Home Invasions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!