DIY hot blueing

PDA

greatgoogamooga
October 5, 2005, 09:45 PM
Anybody here tried Blindhogg's hot blueing recipe?

http://www.blindhogg.com/homemadesalts.html

goog

If you enjoyed reading about "DIY hot blueing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
October 5, 2005, 10:03 PM
Home made or not, that product is nothing more than regular bluing salts. The ingredients are very dangerous and need to be handled with extreme care to avoid serious burns. In addition, bluing must be done in a well ventilated area, with all precautions, including a face shield (goggles don't cover enough), long gloves, a long rubber apron, a close shower with an emergency release and a high water flow, etc.

So, no, I don't consider hot salt bluing a DIY operation for casual touch up. It takes some serious planning and setup to do right, and is not a "kitchen sink" operation, even if the salts are "homemade" rather than bought.

BTW, he says no aluminum pots, but doesn't say why, and it could be missed. The reason is that the salts will dissolve aluminum, so using an aluminum pot could mean getting a good dose of boiling salts right where you don't want it as the pot comes apart. Nor do I think it is a swift idea to store the stuff in plastic jugs. Maybe the plastic would hold, but I wouldn't trust it.

He does, at the end, have all kinds of caveats, and I hope the prospective user reads them all. But he makes the whole process sound so simple that I am afraid some folks might just jump into doing it without knowing what they are getting into.

Jim

Old Fuff
October 6, 2005, 12:08 AM
Jim is absolutely right. However if you contact Brownells (www.brownells.com) they have some safer alternative that you can do at home.

If you enjoyed reading about "DIY hot blueing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!