Budget 9mm poll thread

PDA

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 11:22 AM
Which do you prefer for regular shooting (100-200 rounds a month~)

I know the prices are different on each gun, but for the most part between 300-400 which puts them all in the same ballpark when making a choice... if I wasnt cheap I would buy a HK USP or a SIG...

If you enjoyed reading about "Budget 9mm poll thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
farscott
October 6, 2005, 11:44 AM
I only have experience with only two of the guns on the poll, the Glock 17 and the CZ-75B. Of those two, I like the CZ-75B. The option of SA/DA, the ability to carry it "cocked and locked", and the steel construction all sway me to the CZ-75B.

marshall3
October 6, 2005, 12:18 PM
The Kel-Tec P-11, which is shot a lot by many people. The ALMOST ideal pocket gun:
http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal.htm

Dollar An Hour
October 6, 2005, 12:29 PM
Tough call. The Rugers are bulletproof, I just don't like the grip on the 9mm Rugers, too blocky. Terrific value though! The XD is super right out of the box and I've heard of quite a few Glock converts, high praise indeed. The CZ is the one that feels like a 'real gun' with the absence of polymer, but I'm disappointed that CZ continues to ship handguns with terrible, gritty triggers, and they don't seem to care.

mattw
October 6, 2005, 12:30 PM
I think the XD is probably the cheapest of that bunch except for maybe the Ruger. I've got an XD exactly for this reason: budget 9mm. I wanted something to shoot with that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to feed.

tbeb
October 6, 2005, 12:33 PM
I purchased a new 9mm CZ75DAO this year. I fired a Glock 17 before I made my purchase. The CZ feels more comfortable in my hand, and I also can get the front sights back on target faster in rapid fire. I have medium hands, and my trigger finger is just long enough to reach the trigger. I've fired about 150 rounds of FMJ and 100-150 rounds of HP without a malfunction. I never fired a Ruger 89, but I once owned a Ruger 95. I like the CZ a little better than it. I think the 89 would compare better because it is heavier than the 95. Anyhow, I voted CZ.

Kramer Krazy
October 6, 2005, 12:58 PM
I typically shoot 45 ACP, but I like the 9mm guns. I actually voted for the Ruger because they are fairly inexpensive and never seem to fail (I've got a P-89DC). I would have rather voted for the Glock 17, as I prefer to shoot my 19 over my Ruger, but the additional $100+ just isn't worth it to me for your question, but.......You didn't offer the 9mm that I'd have prefered to have voted for......a S&W 5903 or 5906, ex-cop gun. We picked up a really clean 5903 ex-cop gun for $348 at a gun show back in November for my wife. It cleaned up VERY well and is one of the most accurate guns that I've shot. I've even been tempted on getting one, myself, but I haven't run into one that has been as clean as my wife's. The one that came close, I didn't have the money at the time. Also, in about 2500-3000 rounds, we've only had ammo issues or cleanliness issues (failure to go to battery because of extreme filth and dry rails). The gun will feed and extract everything you give it. We've even shot cheap, steel-cased ammo such as Wolf and Brown Bear but also WWB. I know my wife is very pleased with it.

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 01:33 PM
Kramer- Its funny you mentioned that gun. I actually shot it at the firing range (Tactical 9 on the side) and I liked it....

However It is about 50-100% more expensive than some of these models so it doesnt fall into the budget range... i would rank it up there with the P229, HK USP, etc..

ChristopherG
October 6, 2005, 01:54 PM
If I was nine-shopping right now, I wouldn't buy until I'd had a chance to shoot the S&W M&P.

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 02:13 PM
M&P ? Do you have a link

Thanks.

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=777

is that it?

Vitamin G
October 6, 2005, 02:37 PM
FM browning hi-power retails for about $325. You could alternatively get an FN for $75 more.

My 9mm of choice

MrMex
October 6, 2005, 02:45 PM
If I was to buy a 9mm right now with a budget, Id go with the FN FNP-9. Polymer frame, 26 oz with 16 rd cap. Comes with 3 mags. Can be found for close to $400.

Everyone that owns one says nothing but great things: great trigger, eats anything, +P rated, excellent fit and finish. Everything you can expect from FN.

ChristopherG
October 6, 2005, 02:59 PM
dxetc.,

Yup, that's it. I realize they're not out just yet, so that won't work if you're hot to buy right now.

Kramer Krazy
October 6, 2005, 03:03 PM
Kramer- Its funny you mentioned that gun.I mentioned the S&W 5903 and 5906 as, eventhough they are quite pricey when new, you can find them all-day-long in the $325-$425 range with all the police trade-ins. I recently saw someone advertising the blued 5904 at under $300 ($249 rings a bell). Plus, the original poster didn't state if he was actually looking at new or used, and for the same price, there are a lot of 9mm police trade-ins that I'd rather have at $350-$400 than a new gun at the same price.

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 03:22 PM
the CZ75 is dominating the poll despite the gritty trigger?

camper
October 6, 2005, 03:38 PM
I definately like the XD9s. Have two, but if you can do a little research, you can get a NIB Sig 228 for about $550.00. Little more than the XD, but of all the 9s I have, I like and use the 228 most.

TC-TX
October 6, 2005, 04:15 PM
The S&W SW9VE is:

Least expensive of the bunch (<$300.00)
Great Capacity (16+1)
Light Weight
Rock-Solid shooter

NOW - if I can hold out long enough for the S&W M&P :)

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 05:00 PM
Man, poor sigma is losing badly with 2 votes heh

Sinsaba
October 6, 2005, 05:07 PM
I read about the Kel-Tec P-11 that it is reliable if you keep it clean and lubed. I have a Steyr that I bought from a friend. After I'd been practicing with it a while it started to FTE. I talked to him about it, he asked me how many rounds had I shot through it. I explained I had put about 400 since I bought it and he said ... "well you do have to clean it, it isn't a Glock!"

That's why I like a Glock ... pull the trigger, it goes bang! Simple as that.

duncan
October 6, 2005, 05:08 PM
A used second gen Glock 17 can be had for $399 on a good day if you buy regular from a good gunshop.

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 05:21 PM
I was looking at a G17 new, for 368 + shipping and FFL, so around $400-415

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 06:13 PM
Glock pulled ahead and is now in second place... I need to take a closer look at the glock next time im at the range.

lyricsdad
October 6, 2005, 06:36 PM
I would get the glock out of that list, if its your "first" 9mm. because of the price, and of course all the cool things you could get for it. Its been around for some time. I would love to get a hi cap magazine and a class III conversion to make it full auto. Would be fun.

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 07:39 PM
Do most firing ranges that rent guns allow you to bring your own ammo? Last time I went I got pummeled for $12 for a box of 50 9mm... Im just going to run to walmarmt and get 2 100 boxes for $11.34 each

Mulliga
October 6, 2005, 07:51 PM
the CZ75 is dominating the poll despite the gritty trigger?

Not all of them have gritty triggers. The DA on my 75 is smooth, though heavier than a SIG. The SA is decent, sort of spongy like a Glock, but about as light as a Glock with the target connector. Mine has been accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.

The CZ dominates probably because it's the only steel framed handgun out of the bunch. ;)

Do most firing ranges that rent guns allow you to bring your own ammo?

Most do.

dxkj21
October 6, 2005, 07:53 PM
Are there any other steel frame handguns in that price range?

albanian
October 6, 2005, 08:14 PM
A couple that you left out that are pretty decent, Ruger P-95 and used S&W 5906s. I know that you are stating new guns but there are so many used S&W autos right now that it would be worth your time to check them out. The Ruger P-95 I had was impressive, not as accurate as most but it could be shot fast and was 100% reliable.

I voted XD-9 BTW because of the ones on the list, it is best IMHO. The Glock just doesn't feel good in my hands and the CZ-75 is harder to shoot as well as the XD. My XD has been outstanding in the accuracy department.

Black Majik
October 6, 2005, 08:56 PM
For an all out range gun, my pic would be 1) XD 2) CZ-75 3) Glock 19.... pass on the other 2 on the list.

The XD is a great shooter, the Glock would own if you were going to also use the gun as a CCW. The CZ-75 fits my hands well, but the XD slightly better.

IMO, get a CPO SIG 226/228. Look around on the net such as CDNN. I'd much rather have a SIG in the end.... :D

HighVelocity
October 6, 2005, 09:03 PM
I chose the Glock 17. BUT, a Sig 226 would be MUCH better and you could get one for $400 or even less if you are patient and look hard enough.

IZinterrogator
October 6, 2005, 09:53 PM
The CZ dominates probably because it's the only steel framed handgun out of the bunch.That pretty much the reason I voted for it. Not a big fan of them, but less of a fan of the plastic fantastics.

KONY
October 6, 2005, 10:18 PM
Are there any other steel frame handguns in that price range?

S&W 5906/5946
Bersa Thunder 9
FN HP-DA/SA & DAO (CDNN)
Some of the Ruger pistols

tc300mag1
October 6, 2005, 10:31 PM
i went with the Xd in the poll but the Ruger and Glock are dang good also

XLMiguel
October 6, 2005, 10:50 PM
I have a CZ75 PCR that compares very favorably to my SIG228. IIRC, I paid $459 for it.

outofbattery
October 6, 2005, 10:52 PM
Factory refurbed G17's and G22's are $399 at my favorite MA gun shop and come with 2 standard cap. mags;that's a tough deal to beat.

FWIW, I paid $389 for my NIB SIG Pro,I like it much better than I do my Glocks.

dxkj21
October 7, 2005, 02:32 AM
I liked the feel of the P89, the XD wasnt bad... glock, meh so so

dxkj21
October 7, 2005, 11:39 AM
Getting my WI drivers license today (hopefully) So I should be able to start buying weapons!!!

dxkj21
October 8, 2005, 12:04 PM
Heading out to a few stores locally today. going to take a second look at the XD, Glock and CZ

albanian
October 9, 2005, 12:24 PM
One thing to remember about these polls is that they really only reflect how many people own or have shot certain guns.

For example, if you asked what the best .45 auto was for self defense and you inlcuded SIGs, CZ, Ruger, H&K, and 1911s, you would get 1911 as the winner every time. Does that mean that they are the best? No. It means that more people own 1911s than probably all the others put together. People are going to vote based on what they know. If they only owned a Glock and a CZ and they liked the CZ better, it will get their vote.

Remember this when you see a poll that has a very common pistol (Glock 1911) against not as common guns (SA XD-9, Kahr ect.)

My point is, it is almost a popularity contest. Glock should have won hands down based on this. That it didn't shows that CZ and XD-9 although not as popular are well loved 9mm and worth a look.

dxkj21
October 9, 2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks alba,

Ive been unable to find the 24/7 available to shoot at a range, so i will just hold off on that one ...

I've tried the

Glock 17
HK USP
Sig P226
CZ 75B
SA XD
S&W 9mm Tactical (forget model)

Out of those I definitely like the CZ the best, though the USP and sig are pretty sweet too :) but about 300 more

New_geezer
October 9, 2005, 02:15 PM
I own a Ruger P-89. It's blocky and bulletproof and a decent bludgeon when empty. Almost as good as my SA GI-45 ;)

duncan
October 10, 2005, 02:29 PM
Funny but with the CZ-75 in the mix, why not the original? :rolleyes:

Full-szied 9mm with 1911 style controls.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051005m.jpg

The Browning Hi-Power!

Dang, we also forgot the SW 3913:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/sw2.jpg

Another nice shooter - good for range and CCW. 5906 is okay too.

Ala Dan
October 10, 2005, 03:13 PM
In my locale, the least expensive is the S&W Sigma at $299~! :D

But, I voted for the Ruger P89 as it is not only bullet proof;
but tank tuff. :uhoh: :)

Here is a breakdown on pricing in MY area:

Taurus 24/7 $359.95
Glock 17 489.88
Springer XD 439.95
Ruger P89 349.88
CZ-75 Don't Know?

Jedi_7.62
October 10, 2005, 03:24 PM
I was looking for the same thing recently. I went with a used CZ 75 PCR great for range and carry excellent reputation. $275 used. Best deal I've gotten. High cap mags are available.

I don't personally care for plastic guns :barf:

But to each their own.

dxkj21
October 10, 2005, 03:26 PM
Duncan- Thats a damn sweet looking gun :) how much does it run

Ala Dan

The CZ-75 locally costs about $489 for the basic gun + tax and $8 bg fee, so around $525

I ended up getting the retro version online for $340 + 43 for shipping, ffl, and bg check fee, so about $383

I couldnt find a sigma to range test, or the taurus, and the taurus locally was 430 :(

XD was 519... they price up a bit... I shot as many of these as i could atl ocal ranges, and ended up with the CZ, I guess we will see how that works out :)

Found it http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=007B&cat_id=051&type_id=005

nice looking gun :)

http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-15783.html

$722, unfortunately, over 2x what I paid for a CZ after all is said and done :(

denfoote
October 10, 2005, 04:31 PM
Since you specified inexpensive, I'll have to go with the Ruger P89.
I have one and it is as tough as my P95, which is another good budget 9mm.

Zach S
October 10, 2005, 04:41 PM
My 9mm plinker is a G17.

yayarx7
October 11, 2005, 02:31 AM
You bought the best gun of the bunch IMO. The CZ is truly world class pistol on par with the more expensive offerings out there.

The trigger on the Sigma is simply atrocious and the Glock trigger is squishy. The Rugerís accuracy is diminished by the long travel to reset trigger. The Taurus I cannot comment on but the Croatian XD has more muzzle flip than the similar Glock.

I own five inexpensive 9mms and the CZ is the best of them. The gritty trigger will smooth out over time, shooting and dry firing.

duncan
October 11, 2005, 01:56 PM
For anyone else looking for their first or another good 9mm, the deal with buying a Glock is:

1. Accurate and battle tested - favorite sidearm of most LEA and military men;

2. Durable and has passed the most insane torture tests known - that tenifer finish takes holstering like a champ too - no wimpy blueing;

3. With only 34 or so parts, many made from polymer, you can ususally fix your own Glock - no gunsmith needed most of the time;

4. More accessories out there than just about any other gun save for the almight 1911;

5. You have a huge online support network with armorers with more than 50K other Glock shooters;

6. With hundreds of LEAs in America carrying Glocks and parts being all over the country with a tons of vendors, most parts are only days if not hours away; and the American LE community and our military will make sure these parts and guns stay in the US for an even longer time;

6. On a good day, if you hit the gunshop after a local PD has dumped their Glocks, you can snag a used one for as low as $379-400 with a pair of high cap mags.

As we have discussed, there are a lot of great 9mm guns out there.

But if things go bag or you need absolute relibaility, few guns can offer that security. Glock does.

That's why I'll always have a ocuple Glocks on hand.

What's my favorite 9mm Glock? The Glock 34 is the nicest shooting and probably the most accurate of all of their 9mm Glocks too.

But the Glock 20 in 10mm is a blast to shoot too ;)

raghorn
October 11, 2005, 07:24 PM
I have to concur with Vitamin G on the Hi-Power. Otherwise my choice is the G17.

If you enjoyed reading about "Budget 9mm poll thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!