DFW Group Shoot - 10.09.05

PDA

TechBrute
October 6, 2005, 12:26 PM
There will be a group shoot at TDSA this Sunday, the 9th. The official start is 10AM, but a small group will be there around 9ish. If you are not a member of TDSA and you want to join us, that will not be a problem, just let me know in advance.

I look forward to seeing everyone there.

If you enjoyed reading about "DFW Group Shoot - 10.09.05" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HighVelocity
October 6, 2005, 08:32 PM
but a small group will be there around 9ish :neener:

TexasRifleman
October 6, 2005, 09:11 PM
357ish, 358ish, whatever it takes :evil:

HighV - Can you bring something in 9mm for me to shoot just so I can say I have tried 9mm? People don't believe me when I tell them I've never shot one, so I need to get it over with.

HighVelocity
October 6, 2005, 09:33 PM
^^I'll bring my 226. I love shooting that thing.
I'm also going to bring my Bushmaster with my freshfromthesandbox aimpoint that needs to be sighted in.

I know that shooting the steel with rifles is a no-no but what about a lever action using 38spl or 357mag?

TexasRifleman
October 6, 2005, 10:10 PM
Can't imagine it would hurt, but I can't imagine what it would hurt shooting steel with XM193 either. M855 maybe, but plain old ball 5.56 shouldn't hurt the steel if it is of any quality at all.

However, I won't argue that, but I would think 38/357 wouldn't hurt a thing.

I have some AP in '06 for the BAR if you ever really need to punch a hole in something.

And I'm telling you, this black powder thing can be a problem. You can sit at your PC and mail order BP handguns all day with no problems, for under 300 in most cases. It's going to be hard to not do that.

TechBrute
October 6, 2005, 11:00 PM
I'll bring the G34, too, if you want a turn with it. I never cared for the whole DA/SA thing.

I think the big problem with shooting those plates with rifles (aside from the fact that some people don't know what kind of ammo they have) is that the shock from the impact breaks the welds. The plates don't have any holes in them, but they've been broken off and rewelded repeatedly.

roo_ster
October 6, 2005, 11:55 PM
I'll likely go.

I will bring my chrony to see what some of my reloads are doing, vel-wise. If'n you wanna see how fast yer hawkleg slings lead, youse gotta swear not to shoot my gear. That honor is reserved to me.

TexasRifleman
October 7, 2005, 12:50 AM
I have destroyed 1 chrono in my life, when I was shooting IPSC. I have taken a vow never to be near one again, but thanks for the offer :D

RRTX
October 7, 2005, 01:56 AM
I'd like to try and come, if I can find a way to get my crippled butt out that way :o

orangeninja
October 7, 2005, 04:06 AM
Hey...isn't that a Saturday? What time? And where is TDSA?

HighVelocity
October 7, 2005, 09:56 AM
Hey...isn't that a Saturday? What time? And where is TDSA?

See that little clock in the bottom right corner of your screen? If you double click it a calendar will appear. :neener:

orangeninja
October 7, 2005, 02:50 PM
Aha....still on Sudays I see. Well...may the wrath of Odin smite thee with genital warts. :neener:

Oh yeah...and may he clear Techbrute's up. :evil:

roo_ster
October 8, 2005, 10:00 AM
Hey, easy with the smiting and general plagues of genital warts. Just how would I explain something like THAT to my wife?

If Len is there I'll sign up & I'll expect more Saturday outings (even if just my lonesome), since I don't wanna miss church all the time.

orionengnr
October 8, 2005, 10:36 AM
Where is TDSA?

remains unanswered...

TexasRifleman
October 8, 2005, 10:40 AM
TDSA is in the middle of nowhere :)

Head down I-45 south out of Dallas to Malloy Bridge road, then it's off to the east a few miles. It's well before you get to Ennis.

If you need directions they are on the TDSA website here (http://www.tdsa.net/)

I would guess 30 minutes from downtown Dallas, maybe a bit less.

orionengnr
October 8, 2005, 11:22 AM
since I'm a good bit North of Dallas, 30 miles south of Dallas is a decent trek. Maybe next time. Good shooting.

TexasRifleman
October 8, 2005, 11:26 AM
Well I am on the edge of Ft Worth, and it is a trek. It's also the only range within 100 miles that doesn't have a range nazi, does allow draw and shoot from concealment, and shooting rifles from other than a bench, so we suffer the drive.

HighVelocity
October 8, 2005, 11:44 AM
so we suffer the drive.

Traffic is really light on Sunday morning. As long as I don't look at the gas gauge I enjoy the drive.

TexasRifleman
October 8, 2005, 12:01 PM
Hope it's not a mud pit.

HighVelocity
October 8, 2005, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I just went out side and it's pretty soggy here. It looks like it's going to be sunny this afternoon though. Hopefully it's going to be a nice day tomorrow.

RRTX
October 8, 2005, 12:55 PM
I think most of the rain was over here to the west.

HighVelocity
October 8, 2005, 01:24 PM
^^ Can you drive yet? Are you going tomorrow?

RRTX
October 8, 2005, 01:29 PM
Nope can't drive still, I doubt I'll make it tomorrow.

TexasRifleman
October 9, 2005, 08:16 PM
4 Shooters, lots of dead swinging steel, and 2 poor cardboard boxes that took some massive tissue damage from the 00 Buck.......

My BAR was banging steel at 200 and Tech was doing the same with his AR. Love that sound!

I shot some steel at 100 from standing positions. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone I stood up.

Good weather and empty range with no one watching over you.

Nice :evil:

About halfway through the shoot some District Attorney something or other with a badge came over to borrow a target stapler, then came back to ask us what the LOUD thing was. Dunno, maybe the .357 of Jason?

By the way, what was the model number of that tiny little Glock that Techbrute had?

I hate Glocks but the more I hang around you people..... :D

HighVelocity
October 9, 2005, 09:22 PM
The weather sure was amazing. I could have stayed until the ammo ran out.
I did learn something today too. You can't place calls on a Glock mag. :neener:

geegee
October 9, 2005, 09:28 PM
Pics, ya bastiges...pics! :D

RRTX
October 9, 2005, 09:29 PM
So did you get to try out the almighty 9mm today Jay? :what:

TexasRifleman
October 9, 2005, 09:55 PM
I did get to shoot a 9mm for the first time, HighV was nice enough to let me have at his Sig 226 double stack. Very nice. And of course, a Sig so it was to be expected :D Not that I have any special preference to Sigs or anything....

Pics... 3 times yesterday I tried to remind myself to grab the camera this morning, and I walked off and left it, along with 2 boxes of .40 SW and my .380 in a bag. So, load the car when you are awake......

TechBrute
October 10, 2005, 01:40 PM
Geegee!!!! Hey brother!!! I think we'd prefer you showed up to a shoot instead of asking for pics. :D We've been missing you, but I understand you have other things going.

The baby Glock was a 27. It's a .40S&W and has a 9mm cousin called the 26.

I was actually able to hit something yesterday, a far cry from usual. I didn't shoot a whole lot, really just made sure everything was sighted in and enjoyed the weather.

I ran the Aimpoint, ACOG, and iron sights out to 200. I don't know what kind of MOA I was pulling, but even with the irons I was pulling minute-of-eight-inch-steel-plate at 200. I really need to get the ACOG on paper and see what I can do with the new gun.

I spent most of the time on the handgun range drifting the sights on some of my glocks. I'm not sure I even got through 50 rounds. :banghead:

I really need to get one of those K31 Swiss rifles or whatever that was that Jason let me shoot. The stock is a little wierd, but I really love the action on it.

roo_ster
October 10, 2005, 03:22 PM
I was running some hot reloads in my .357mag SW686. (15.2 & 15.3 gr of 2400 topped with 158gr hardcast lead SWC @ ~1450fps)

The backblast from the bbl beside me was kinda funky, as I fired.

I brought a camera, but was engrossed in testing reloads, so no pics.

The rifle I shot was a Swiss Schmidt-Rubin K31 in 7.5x55 Swiss. It is a 3 round 2 MOA at 100 yds with iron sights, when I am th etrigger puller...and I am not a great shot. $160 at a gun show. They can be had for sub-$100 if you have a C&R.

What a beautiful day. If I didn't hae the missus waiting back home takin' care of our tyke, I woulda stayed much longer.

If you enjoyed reading about "DFW Group Shoot - 10.09.05" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!