New 4473s

PDA

waterhouse
October 6, 2005, 05:21 PM
I just got today's mail and included was a stack of the new 4473s. If you purchase a gun anytime after October 17th, be ready to see a white form with a slightly different format. Mostly they just changed stuff to clarify certain issues (there are now boxes for "last name," "first name," etc. to make sure people put their last name first)

If you enjoyed reading about "New 4473s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
October 6, 2005, 05:56 PM
How about giving you more than an inch to not abreviate UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

Yowza
October 6, 2005, 06:00 PM
What is with that no abbreviations thing, anyway? I've only had one or two dealers tell me that, but man it's a hassle trying to write everything out.

Rick

JohnBT
October 6, 2005, 06:02 PM
And bigger print, we old folks need bigger print.

John

waterhouse
October 6, 2005, 06:45 PM
You won't even have to write "United States of America" or even "USA" anymore. The new form has a question that says: What is your country of citizenship?

Then there is a checkbox for "United States of America" and one for "Other (please specify)________________" I'm actually fairly proud of this since I called and suggested they do this almost a year ago. I doubt that had anything to do with it, but it's there now and should save time.

Also, the boxes in general are bigger, and they have boxes for everything. No more "Write your address here and include street, state, county, etc." Now there are individual boxes for each segment Street:_________, City:_____, and so forth.

It seems like this should be a little less confusing (people ALWAYS forget to put the County)

Sorry, the print size is still pretty small. Also, the form is now 3 pages instead of two, but this is mainly due to the Boxes for information, not due to thre being more questions.

One other interesting Box is the UPIN, or Unique Personal Information Number. I called the ATF, and they said "Let's say you have a common name and are constantly delayed because a felon has the same name. You can get a UPIN, and then this will help you to not be delayed." I'm not sure how the system will work.

MaterDei
October 6, 2005, 07:05 PM
I have a very common name so the UPIN feature is nice for me.

Wait a minute. Since I have a CHL I skip the check. :neener:

rageman
October 6, 2005, 09:18 PM
Fantastic. I hate hate hate having to do 4473s, because people always screw them up the first (or 2nd, or 3rd. . . :( ) time around. Especially the "County" bit.

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2005, 09:46 PM
You can get a UPIN, and then this will help you to not be delayed." I'm not sure how the system will work.

That's okay. Neither is the B.A.T.F.E.

Husker1911
October 6, 2005, 09:52 PM
From a cursory first look at the new 4473s, I like the fact they've boxed out the answer areas, making it much tougher for the customer to miss vital info. My biggest complaint, and I'm sure most FFLs will agree, is that the forms are no longer on yellow colored paper. Now, they're white. Believe me, the white forms will be much more likely to get mixed into other paperwork, and misplaced. C'mon, ATFE, the forms have been yellow since their inception (1968, I believe.) Dumb move. Ah, well. It's what I've come to expect.......................

El Rojo
October 7, 2005, 12:31 AM
If my dumb city would just issue my business license then I could send all my info to Sacramento and maybe before the New Year I could fill out my very first 4473. Waiting is no fun. I have streets to fill up with guns. Don't these people have any consideration?

waterhouse
October 7, 2005, 12:32 AM
Husker, according to the ATF the reason they switched from yellow is so that you STOP using the yellow forms. They want to make sure you don't give a customer an old one on accident. You are correct about the white though, it would be nice if they had switched to something other than white.

Zach S
October 7, 2005, 03:27 AM
It seems like this should be a little less confusing (people ALWAYS forget to put the County)
Not always. Just most of the time. I'm caught off gaurd when I see they remembered the county.

Henry Bowman
October 7, 2005, 10:59 AM
It seems like this should be a little less confusing (people ALWAYS forget to put the County) That's my usual mistake.

The last 5 purchases/transfers I was in and out in 10 minutes. Now maybe I can do it in 9. :D

EOD Guy
October 7, 2005, 11:46 AM
One other interesting Box is the UPIN, or Unique Personal Information Number. I called the ATF, and they said "Let's say you have a common name and are constantly delayed because a felon has the same name. You can get a UPIN, and then this will help you to not be delayed." I'm not sure how the system will work.

See page 8 of the February 2005 FFL Newsletter. It will explain the new Voluntary Appeal File system.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/0205fflnewsletter.pdf

Vern Humphrey
October 7, 2005, 12:52 PM
Wait a minute. Since I have a CHL I skip the check.

Now the next step is to change the law so the CHL becomes an FFL as well, for private, mail-order purchases. :p

waterhouse
October 7, 2005, 12:53 PM
EOD,

thanks for the link

If you enjoyed reading about "New 4473s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!