BREAKING NEWS -- New Threat Against NYC Subways

PDA

David
October 6, 2005, 07:41 PM
Here we go again...

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051006172109990007

NYC Increases Subway Security After Threat
By TOM HAYS, AP

NEW YORK (Oct. 6) - Authorities stepped up mass transit security Thursday after receiving a credible threat that the city's subway system could be the target of a terrorist attack in coming days.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said at a news conference the threat originated overseas. Bloomberg said it was the most specific threat New York officials had received to date. He said no one in New York has been arrested.

A law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the threat is "specific to place, time and method" and involves a bombing.

"We have done and will continue to do everything we can to protect this city," Bloomberg said. "We will spare no resource, we will spare no expense. We have increased our police presence on our subways."

Kelly urged the public to report suspicious people or activities. Police planned to start looking through bags, briefcases, baby strollers and luggage in a large-scale search of the city's mass transit system.

"We have never had before a specific threat to our subway system," Bloomberg said. "Its importance was enhanced above the normal level by the detail that was available to us from intelligence sources."

New York's security level remained at orange, the second-highest. It has been at that level since Sept. 11.

An estimated 4.5 million passengers ride the New York subway on an average weekday. The system has more than 468 subway stations.
:what: :uhoh: :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "BREAKING NEWS -- New Threat Against NYC Subways" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
October 6, 2005, 07:46 PM
ho-hum

MDG1976
October 6, 2005, 08:14 PM
This may not happen. But I'm convinced that the next attack on US soil will be simultaneous bombs against mass transit, a la London.

rick_reno
October 6, 2005, 08:15 PM
Popularity falls - time to rachet up the threat index. "Get 'em scared Karl, good and scared. Then they'll start believing."

EasternShore
October 6, 2005, 08:33 PM
CNN reported that Homeland Security didn't feel it was crdible, New York felt it was, CNN covered it like an attack had already occured, I'm not sure whose gonna come out the biggest donkey in this one, but I am betting on Mayor Bloomboogie.

boofus
October 6, 2005, 08:46 PM
Bush's fault. Blood for oil, Halliburton and the Jews. :rolleyes:

dinosaur
October 7, 2005, 06:25 AM
Elections in NYC next month.

mete
October 7, 2005, 08:22 AM
Ramadan started on Tuesday .I'm still interested in why there has been so little coverage of the Norman OK bomber last saturday !!

davec
October 7, 2005, 08:39 AM
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9281/aproval_vs_alert_chart_NEW.th.gif (http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aproval_vs_alert_chart_NEW.gif)

These things are clockwork. Every time in the past there was an alert some bad news about the administration has come out.

Ken Lay gets subpoenaed - Terror Alert
FBI agent Coleen Rowley testifies to congress about writing memos about Arab flight students, crizizes FBI - Terror Alert
AbuGrhab allegations come out - Terror Alert
David Kay quits looking for WMD's in Iraq - Terror Alert
Kerry names Edwards his running mate - Terror Alert
Democratic convection winds down - Terror Alert

now...

Delay facing charges, Plame affair indictments about to be handed down....and just like clockwork.... terror alert!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-05-10-ridge-alerts_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

The Bush administration periodically put the USA on high alert for terrorist attacks even though then-Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge argued there was only flimsy evidence to justify raising the threat level, Ridge now says.

Ridge, who resigned Feb. 1, said Tuesday that he often disagreed with administration officials who wanted to elevate the threat level to orange, or "high" risk of terrorist attack, but was overruled.

His comments at a Washington forum describe spirited debates over terrorist intelligence and provide rare insight into the inner workings of the nation's homeland security apparatus.

Ridge said he wanted to "debunk the myth" that his agency was responsible for repeatedly raising the alert under a color-coded system he unveiled in 2002.

"More often than not we were the least inclined to raise it," Ridge told reporters. "Sometimes we disagreed with the intelligence assessment. Sometimes we thought even if the intelligence was good, you don't necessarily put the country on (alert). ... There were times when some people were really aggressive about raising it, and we said, 'For that?' "

They can take their terror alerts and stick them places Arts Grandmother doesn't like to hear about.

I ride on the NJ PATH and NYC subway almost daily...so I'm putting my butt where my mouth is.

These things are a joke.

c_yeager
October 7, 2005, 09:25 AM
Oh no, better stop thinking about things and start being afraid again :rolleyes:

This is starting to get sad.

RaggedClaws
October 7, 2005, 11:15 AM
I really wish the terrorists would pick a different city already. America is not New York! Sheesh.

:neener:

boofus
October 7, 2005, 11:17 AM
Guess the terrorists aren't too bright. They keep targeting their allies in democrat cities. Maybe they'll put San Francisco and Hollywood and Chicago on their hit lists.

GunGoBoom
October 7, 2005, 11:48 AM
Elections in NYC next month.

Ahh, that would explain it. Waggin' that dog again.

Crosshair
October 7, 2005, 12:11 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Justin
October 7, 2005, 12:29 PM
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed--and hence clamorous to be led to safety--by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -H.L. Mencken

Frandy
October 7, 2005, 12:36 PM
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."
-- Joseph Goebbels, German Minister of Propaganda, 1933-1945

Camp David
October 7, 2005, 12:40 PM
How long before we see armored subway cars with forward and tail gunners armed with twin .50 cal terrorist suppression devices?

I keep waiting for insurance companies to set up Life Insurance Quick-Stop Booths in subways!

Sad Sad Sad....

hkOrion
October 7, 2005, 12:54 PM
How long before we see armored subway cars with forward and tail gunners armed with twin .50 cal terrorist suppression devices?

If we get a special MetroCard can we man them? Maybe get some armored taxis too! :what:

Waitone
October 7, 2005, 01:04 PM
Yea, yea, yea. What will the esteemed forum say when NY is lit up again? What would the esteemed forum say if no warning was given and the subways were bombed?

Problem is the enemy thinks like a bunch of Arabs projecting their cultural biases on the US (which is exactly what we do in fighting them). If they were smart they'd forget NY and thump middle America like Chicago or Kansas City or Peoria.

Werewolf
October 7, 2005, 01:07 PM
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed--and hence clamorous to be led to safety--by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -H.L. Mencken Wasn't Mencken a journalist? Surprising thing for a journalist to say.

Even so he gets it. That's for dang SURE!

GunGoBoom
October 7, 2005, 01:33 PM
What will the esteemed forum say when NY is lit up again? What would the esteemed forum say if no warning was given and the subways were bombed?

I will say that Liberty, including the 4th amendment, has a price. And the price is worth it, given the alternative of the road to slavery which we are now on.

davec
October 7, 2005, 01:42 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051007/capt.nyjs21210071511.nyc_subway_nyjs212.jpg

Authorities briefly closed part of Penn Station on Friday and commuters headed to work under the watchful eyes of police after a newly disclosed terror threat against the New York subway system.

A discarded soda bottle filled with an unidentified green liquid was found at the station during morning rush hour, Amtrak officials said. The substance did not pose a threat to passengers and was removed for testing.

Officials later determined the substance to be an unusual mixture of water and carbonation known by the trade name "Mountain Dew".

"This so-called Mountain Dew is a dangerous mix of sugar and caffeine that if allowed to fall into the wrong hands could cause unprecedented irritability and emotional instability. A state which terrorists call being 'amped up'," said a New York City Police Spokesman.

Mayor Michale Bloomberg, who himself took the subway during his morning commute, praised the response of New York emergency response. "The quick action and professionalism displayed by our first responders should put every New Yorkers mind at ease," said the Mayor. "We are dedicated to the fight against terrorism and carbonated beverages. We will not be held hostage to Mountain Dew, no matter how much they threaten us with it."

A majority of the station was reopened by about 10:45 a.m., more than an hour after it was closed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051007/ap_on_re_us/nyc_subway;_ylt=AuphkaZYN5UGCSzNKKXo4Sus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

stevelyn
October 7, 2005, 01:48 PM
*yawn* Another credible uncorroborated terror threat. Wake me up if something actually happens............on second thought don't. I don't live anywhere near NYC.

Double Naught Spy
October 7, 2005, 02:23 PM
This may not happen. But I'm convinced that the next attack on US soil will be simultaneous bombs against mass transit, a la London.

There was not simultaneious London bombs. The only two that come close happened 6 minutes apart. There was 56 minutes between the first and th fourth. Simultaneous, maybe, in geologic time, but not real time.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/london_bombings_timeline.html

You know, the terrorists don't actually have to do any real damage to the US with bombs, shooting, or whatever, not for quite a while. All they need to do is to let various cell locations get discovered and raided and have planted in those locations realistic plans of attack. Once found, we run around in circles like a dog chasing its tail as we try to figure out how to stop a ficticious attack that won't be coming, but we don't know that...yet.

People cried over 9/11 because all the signs were there for a looming attack. There were signs. There were also signs for several dozen other possible attacks that never materialized. The US prior to 9/11 was dealing with investigating or trying to determine if investigations were warranted for several dozen supposed threats every week.

BenW
October 7, 2005, 11:35 PM
Once found, we run around in circles like a dog chasing its tail as we try to figure out how to stop a ficticious attack that won't be coming, but we don't know that...yet.
Though I agree with the above, I was also thinking of this from a slightly different view. While watching coverage on the news this morning, I thought to myself, "If I were a terrorist, a great way to gather intel on how the US responds to potential threats, and how to find holes in the response, is to leak some fake threats and have my operatives sit back and take notes on strengths and weaknesses of the response.

I don't believe it's too far-fetched to assume that some of the terrorists have read Sun Tzu.
Know your enemy as you know yourself and you will always be victorious...

Werewolf
October 8, 2005, 02:28 PM
Once found, we run around in circles like a dog chasing its tail as we try to figure out how to stop a ficticious attack that won't be coming, but we don't know that...yet. If they're smart - and they are - then just run the drill two or three times until folks get used to it and slack off.

Find the holes in the system like the last poster said. Plan accordingly and implement.

Americans have very short memories. The above would work a couple of times until the denser among us learned their lesson. Then the terrorists would have to come up with a new plan - NOT terribly difficult to do IMO.

What really surprises me is that they still haven't attacked the US directly since 9/11. Probably too busy in Iraq?

Dead
October 8, 2005, 02:57 PM
THey have no reason to attack, we are doing a good job at working towards their "goals" (whatever they might be?) on our own. Wait dont they only want strike terror into the hearts of the people? Wait Wait.... That is being done already. :banghead:

ravencon
October 8, 2005, 03:21 PM
If "they" thought there was credible threat I doubt if the Mayor of NYC would have been in the subway doing a photo op.

As others have noted, the alleged threat probably has more to do with Bush's declining poll numbers and the various Republican scandals (the real ones and those imagined by the libs).

captlid
October 8, 2005, 04:05 PM

I spend at least 3 hours a day on the subway commuting... They would have to redesign every single tunnel and increase the ceiling room to do this... (thats alot of track) As a practical matter the crowds of people and the trains just fitting into the tunnels are just not suitable to large guns.

The terrorists dont have to attack our subways.. they are over a 100 years old and can break down themselves quite well as was shown when some homeless guy needed to keep warm, litup a fire in his shopping cart and fried most of the circuits (when the fire kinda spread) near the A line on chambers st. near the world trade center.

Or the "scare" on the manhattan bridge where at least 4 trains go through. Some woman wanted to jump off the bridge, but then changed her mind but left a large breifcase of sorts and that whole bridge was closed down for the day while the bomb squads investigated..

Terror Alert!!!! :evil: Please, I am taking the subway when I need and want to, not going to let some stupid folks in some third world hole dictate how I live my life. Cause thats all they want us to do. Doesnt mean we have to oblige them.

CraigJS
October 8, 2005, 04:20 PM
A terrorist doesn't have to attack to get their job done if "the threat of their attack" gets people to change their activities! Terror, deals with peoples fears as much or more than killing those people.. A Terrorist may kill a relativly small number, but their act instills fear in far greater numbers. If NYC does nothing in a case like this they will take a far bigger ration of s... if something does happen, than if they react and nothing happens!!
CraigJS

If you enjoyed reading about "BREAKING NEWS -- New Threat Against NYC Subways" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!