Handguns in rec. vehicles

PDA

Pappy John
October 6, 2005, 07:53 PM
I'm the happy new owner of a travel trailer, planning a trip across several states. Some of them honor my PA CCW permit and some do not, with our final destination state, Alabama, in the "not' category. Said state also doesn't allow for a handgun to be in my vehicle legally either, in any usable manner.

My question concerns the trailer. Is this an extension of my home, and therefore legal to have my handgun inside in any locale where mere possession of a handgun itself is not illegal?

I did a search on Packing.org and here and got nowhere.

Should I just give up and pick out a long gun for PD for the duration of the trip?

If you enjoyed reading about "Handguns in rec. vehicles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SIOP
October 6, 2005, 07:59 PM
I would never recommend anyone break the law, but when is the last time the cops searched your travel trailer?

roo_ster
October 6, 2005, 08:08 PM
New Hampshire CCW

Look it up on packing.org

It'll cure what ails you...in ~10 days

Pilgrim
October 6, 2005, 08:39 PM
There have been a few SCOTUS decisions which say that when on the road the travel trailer is like an automobile. It can be searched without warrant provided probable cause exists.

When the trailer is parked in a manner it is not readily movable, as in a RV park or campground with power, water, sewer connected, it becomes a dwelling and Fourth Amendment protections apply.

Pilgrim

biere
October 6, 2005, 09:01 PM
If you don't already know about escapees I would run a search to find the proper way to the sight and then run a search on their site.

I personally don't know.

Gunpacker
October 6, 2005, 09:41 PM
Florida non resident CCW would solve your problem.

MikeIsaj
October 6, 2005, 09:44 PM
Join the Good Sam Club. In addition to lots of good RV info they sell a publication on handgun law specifically written for RV owners. All your answers are there.

enfield
October 6, 2005, 10:08 PM
I would never recommend anyone break the law, but when is the last time the cops searched your travel trailer?

The last time I took it across Boulder Dam, March 2003.

firefighter4884
October 7, 2005, 05:58 AM
Would it be legal for you to store the firearm in a locked container in the trailer while you're on the move? And only take it out for PD while stopped.

I know this isn't an ideal situation, but, it's probably better then nothing...

--Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Handguns in rec. vehicles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!