Is your significant other ProGun?

PDA

hkmp5g17
October 6, 2005, 10:46 PM
Is your significant other pro gun? Totally anti gun? Middle of the road? Or?

Anthony

If you enjoyed reading about "Is your significant other ProGun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HighVelocity
October 6, 2005, 10:58 PM
My wife goes to the range often and is very supportive of my addiction.
She likes 1911's and Single action revolvers. :D

Rob1035
October 6, 2005, 11:01 PM
yes, now that I showed her guns weren't just 'tools of death' and can be a lot of fun to shoot

P95Carry
October 6, 2005, 11:02 PM
I needed to see two more options - pro-gun and anti-gun.

My wife is definitely pro gun and accepts my carry - and now has her own CCW but I'd not say she was ''strongly'' pro. I have to work on it a bit to get her to range for necessary practice!

That said - I am pleased she is as accepting and supportive as she is.

Scottmkiv
October 6, 2005, 11:08 PM
She is largely indifferent. She is fine with my views, but doesn't really care much one way or the other herself. She has fun shooting .22s a few times a year, and that is about the extent of her involvement.

CajunBass
October 6, 2005, 11:09 PM
My wife informed me not long ago. "You don't understand. YOU don't get any more guns. You can borrow MY guns."

hkmp5g17
October 6, 2005, 11:11 PM
Lucky guy!! :)

Freeze N
October 6, 2005, 11:14 PM
Has her CCW license, carry's everywhere. Make's sure I am armed. Tote's her Glock 26 around the house if I am gone. Like's to shoot, if I can get her away from making cookies, brownies, salted nut rolls, and other's. Too give away!

MountainPeak
October 6, 2005, 11:23 PM
Well, my ex-wife is. We still go plinking 13 years after our divorce. It is one of my favorite times with our grand daughter. AND, like I tell my buddies, if she wanted to "hit" me, she's a good enough shot to do it! :D

mr.trooper
October 6, 2005, 11:38 PM
She is largely indifferent.

Sometimes we play target-shooting games with airguns in her basement when we are bored, but beyond that she realy doesnt do anything gun related. She has no problems with me owning guns, or with people who hunt or target shoot, but she doesnt own any guns, and probably doesnt ever plan on it, so i would say she is middle of the road.

Shes kind of like a gun spectator. :confused:

ZenMasterJG
October 6, 2005, 11:40 PM
My SO is my Browning auto-5, so... yes. :D

No_Brakes23
October 6, 2005, 11:47 PM
She was an anti when we met, she had mellowed when we got married, and after becoming a mother she got her own pistol. She is still not an ardent enthusiast, though.

hkmp5g17
October 6, 2005, 11:49 PM
:scrutiny: No comment! :uhoh:

robert garner
October 7, 2005, 12:21 AM
I never bought a carbine she didn't appropriate'she hasn't decided whether she prefers revolvers or auto's so she has both! We go shootin and I'm havin fun
She..... is ded serious! Well not that I would; but crossing her wouldn't be an act of sanity.

Biker
October 7, 2005, 12:34 AM
When I first met my wife, she was pro self defense but thought that a knife was adequate because she "didn't want to kill anyone". She's since been edified and now carries an old Charter Arms Off Duty .38 that I spruced up a bit (shaved hammer and trigger job). I feel better knowing that she is safer *and* I have a pretty woman at my back.
Biker

Rezin
October 7, 2005, 01:18 AM
She IMs me links to assault rifles and gun shops.

She brings home CLP... "Just in case"

She has her own CCW.

Yup, all that and she's cute too!

:D

psyopspec
October 7, 2005, 01:28 AM
I voted strongly pro, but simply "pro-gun" would be more descriptive. She believes in SD, likes to go gun shopping, makes regular range trips with me, supports carrying - and this is just after the first month. Doesn't own any of her own yet, doesn't have a CCW. Give me another 60 days ;).

hkmp5g17
October 7, 2005, 01:31 AM
Wow! I remember the last female I spoke with about guns. I showed her a picture of an AR I was buying. She called it "one of those evil terrorist/gangbanger army guns"

Can't seem to find a good girl who's also pro gun. :( A lot of girls really like me until they find out I'm a shooter. Then they look at me like I just kicked their dog!

You're a lucky guy!

Anthony

WayneConrad
October 7, 2005, 01:32 AM
Pro, and then some.

She bugs me to load more ammo so she can go to the range and make it go bang. She wonders when she's getting her next gun. She hopes to go out shooting if the gummit comes to take her guns.

She carries concealed. I carry openly. Between us, we have the open vs. concealed carry debate clinched.

Zach S
October 7, 2005, 03:16 AM
I voted middle of the road, even though I'm single. Most of my past GFs have been in the middle of the road, (however to the left enough that me owning guns is a little problem).

Generally, antis dont last past the second date or so. I guess me owning a gun is a serious problem for them.

Sam
October 7, 2005, 03:51 AM
Ain't got no significant other.
Got a wife and she carries more than I do, thinks she might be pro gun.

:D
Sam

Nail Shooter
October 7, 2005, 08:17 AM
Quote:
"My wife is definitely pro gun and accepts my carry - and now has her own CCW but I'd not say she was ''strongly'' pro."

Pretty good description of my S.O. too. She would feel uncomfortable if I DIDN'T carry, but she doesn't carry herself--well, maybe to and from the range if I bug her to strap it on. I mainly thinks she likes it because our circle of friends knows she has a CCW. Like just having the blue card in her wallet provides her w/ an extra layer of protection when she's out and about.
:rolleyes:
She will go to the range (if it's not too hot or cold, or if the bugs aren't biting
:) ) most anytime w/ me. She has shot the AR and doesn't think it's too bad to shoot--mainly cause it doesn't hurt! She's deadly accurate w/ my 45 acp full sized Glock, which she would rather shoot than my 9mm. Has her own Lady Smith. She shoots almost as good as my buddies which she somewhat enjoys.

Z_Infidel
October 7, 2005, 10:48 AM
My wife doesn't shoot nearly as often as I do, but is a strong believer in the RKBA. She has claimed the S&W 457 pistol as her own.

rageofangels
October 7, 2005, 10:54 AM
The girlfriend of two years plus has a S&W 5 shot J-frame 640-2. She is becoming increasingly more and more interested in firearms, mainly to keep up with me. She's a decent shot and is learning, just as I am learning. The other day, she promised that if I provided her with a few rings for her left fore finger, she would provide me with a firearm for my right index finger. Not a bad trade, eh guys?

BTW, I am also presenting a Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec at a wedding this afternoon, to the groom from the bride. :neener:

Kramer Krazy
October 7, 2005, 10:55 AM
My wife is definitely pro-gun. She was pretty much middle-of-the-road, but I've converted her. :p Now, she goes with me to the range all the time, complains if I don't buy her more ammo when I buy ammo, likes to have us buy matching firearms, has dreams about shooting, curls up in bed with gun magazines, has a list of firearm "wants", has her carry permit, and is now a member of THR. Also as a nice compliment, she also likes riding motorcycles, and we like the same types of music..........plus, we produce really beautiful offspring, as the first one represents. :D

middy
October 7, 2005, 11:06 AM
I don't have a SO, you insensitive bastard! :D

thereisnospoon
October 7, 2005, 11:26 AM
Yes, otherwise she would be my insignificant former other...

Greymoor
October 7, 2005, 01:43 PM
I chose Strongly Pro Gun because my wife leans more towards that than indifferent. But we needed a 5 choice vote with a mostly pro gun choice.

DelayedReaction
October 7, 2005, 02:16 PM
Single, but Pro-gun is practically a requirement given how much I shoot. :D

garyk/nm
October 7, 2005, 02:34 PM
Middle of the road, drifting toward anti.

Recent conversation:
Her: Are those loaded? (look of surprised disgust)
Me: Yeah, otherwise they're paperweights.

After 28 years, whadda ya do?

Warren
October 7, 2005, 02:39 PM
She has a ccw and has no issues with folks owning MGs or mortars etc so I guess that makes her strongly pro.

On the other hand she won't let me buy whatever I want, so does that make her anti?

NoahFN
October 7, 2005, 03:04 PM
My girlfriend, and more than likely soon to be fiance is pro gun. She believes in the second amendment, and is supportive of my shooting habits and gun collection. I'm not sure I could describe her as "strongly" pro gun though. She doesn't own any firearms herself, which may change, and she doesn't have a CCW license, which may also change. She will occasionally shoot with me, but I think she enjoys doing so more because it makes me happy than enjoying the actual shooting.

cornercarver
October 7, 2005, 05:39 PM
My SO owns three pistols and enjoys shooting. We've gone to the range together several times and I'm always impressed with her natural ability.

We took our CCW class together and she is going to join the rifle & pistol club to which I belong.

alpineman
October 7, 2005, 05:49 PM
She's pro, has her CCW and carries (though I have to remind her sometimes). Sadly, she's a big Glock fan, though I'm working to convert her to the Sacred Church of the 1911.

Working Man
October 7, 2005, 06:34 PM
She has a HK compact .40 blued. It used to be mine.
Now she has her sights set on my stainless. :(

Hell, the first thing we did together outside of work was go shooting.
She handled my .44 magnum pretty well so I figured I'd see where
this would end up. :evil:

Yes, otherwise she would be my insignificant former other...

That's great. :D

larry starling
October 7, 2005, 06:39 PM
Pro gun? Heck yea.....:what:

DirksterG30
October 7, 2005, 06:48 PM
My wife is pro-gun, but not as "into it" as I am. She has her own pistol (a CZ), and we go to the range together often.

Third_Rail
October 7, 2005, 07:04 PM
My wife likes guns more than I do. MUCH more.

Also, she likes the opposite of what I do. She likes semi-auto pistols and shotguns and new stuff, I like old things, revolvers and rifles.

I'm just happy she's not an anti!

Chut1st
October 7, 2005, 08:17 PM
Very pro-gun. She grew up shooting and hunting (sorta. Wouldn't actually pull the trigger on Bambi's daddy.) with her father. One of our first trips when we started getting serious was to the NRA convention in Nashville. We went through the carry permit class together and she beat most of the other folks at the range with her 9mm Beretta. Never finished the paperwork, though, since she trusts me to provide the firepower.

Definitely a keeper . . . . at least with respect to RKBA. :evil:

I'm pretty lucky. But then I never had more than one date with any woman who wouldn't go the range with me on our second date.

HI express
October 7, 2005, 09:28 PM
My wife was reluctant to carry a gun but she supported me protecting her but it was hard to get her to carry a sidearm. I'd find her bag left at home and I would put it in her car without scolding her...then one day after dropping our daughter off at kindergarden, my wife was going to work on a rainy day, when some jerkoff took personal issue with my wife's driving.

She said it was raining cats and dogs and she was at two cars distance behind his car when he did a hard brake. She would stop a safe distance to wait to see what he would do. He did this several times, when suddenly he slanted his car in front of hers, jumped out of his car with a tire iron and started towards my wife in her car.

She did not think of her car as a weapon, but she opened her driver's side door partway and hunkered down behind the door. She drew her S&W 3913 and held it ready out of sight.

He paused and stopped his march towards her..ran back to his car and took off.

After that she makes sure that she has her CCW and a a BUG every day that she goes out.

She just asked me if I will be looking for another handgun to buy. I would say that she is very supportive of guns.

Dan0076
October 7, 2005, 10:34 PM
My wife is pro gun, has her permit and carries.

eagle45
October 7, 2005, 10:42 PM
Strongly pro gun and pro CCW, not really shooter though.

AJ Dual
October 7, 2005, 11:52 PM
Logically and in theroy she is pro.

Understands the basic axiom: "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.." etc.

Her other political beliefs and voting patterns align well with a pro stance.

Supports us getting CCW here in WI, has a logical understanding that criminals can already do as they please, and that you currently can't defend your life outside your door makes no sense.

Bought me a Kel Tec Sub9 carbine for my b-day back in '99.

However... :rolleyes:

When it comes to me personally, spending time and money on firearms or shooting, I'll get grief. Not serious, but enough.

Gave me both the "When we get married... when we have kids... the guns are leaving the house speech." I gave the "When it snows in hell" speech, and won.

Gets irritated when I carry a 2" pocketknife, so when we win CCW here in WI, I know I'll have a fight on my hands to train, get the permit, and actually carry.

It could be worse.

Moonchigger
October 7, 2005, 11:52 PM
This is my first post so hello everyone!

My wife is middle of the road. It's funny because she was raised in a household with many guns (south texas with two brothers who hunt constantly). I grew up in an anti-gun household that was very conservative (ironic I know). I've always been strongly pro gun and have wanted at least a home defense weapon for a while.

Well I think I've finally convinced my wife that we need a defense weapon. After the whole NO gun confiscations she is starting to believe we won't be able to buy guns in the future. So we actually went to Cabella's today and I showed her the guns I was looking at.

I think we'll be getting a Mossberg 500 pretty soon since we can use that for pretty much anything. I also showed her the Ruger GP100 I had my eye on, but she said she wasn't sure about revolvers and then looked at the Kimber 1911 and said she really liked that one :what:

hmmm...I think I'm getting to her

Stevie-Ray
October 8, 2005, 12:00 AM
Middle of the road. Not anti, but couldn't care less about guns herself. Doesn't begrudge me my toys, but rolls her eyes when I strap on my CCW. (Does this sound familiar?) But after 30 years of marriage, she knows I won't change, and I'm certainly not changing her even though I still try.

phoglund
October 8, 2005, 01:08 AM
I had always thought my spouse was more middle of the road. Then we had a bit of a political discussion about a certain female politician. When I mentioned the politician's pro gun-control stance she said, "If they ever try to outlaw guns I'm going to take all my guns and head for the mountains!" and "I'll fight rather than give up guns!"

I was very pleasantly suprised by these statements. I did point out to her that she didn't actually own any guns...they are all mine. I guess it's time I pick her one up I guess.

therealsteamer
October 8, 2005, 02:08 AM
When we were married my wife wanted nothing to do with firearms whatsoever.... Two years later, I knew this had all changed when I was working nights and came home one morning to see a 9mm round on top of the TV. I woke my wife to ask her why it was there, her response was simple. "I heard something downstairs and wanted to check it out." And the single round on the TV was there because........? "When I was done I emptied the chamber, but the bullet would not fit in the magazine(that 15th round can be tough ya know), so I got the spare one and put it in." Apparently she was paying attention during our trips to her parents back pasture for "testosterone time/ plinking"

She now has her own Charter Arms 5 shot snubbie for SD/HD and has claimed my 10/22 as hers. She can outshoot me with both and does so regularly, as well as giving me a run for my money the the PT92...... It could be worse, now shooting is "family time". YEA!!!!!!!!!!

Shorts
October 8, 2005, 02:48 AM
My husband and I are both Pro gun. Although I have to do a lot of buttern' up if I want to buy another. He doesn't get as big a thrill buying a new one as I do. I think I need to get him his M1 or something to rekindle is gun purchasing spirit ;)

greg700
October 8, 2005, 11:31 AM
My wife is very much ProGun, though she is not in the least interested in guns.

CW Spook
October 8, 2005, 11:45 AM
I met my wife 40 years ago on a coon hunt at a conservation camp. She's always been pro-gun, though not as enthusiastic as I. She has a .22 rifle of her own, and enjoys going to the range but isn't really interested in handguns. She IS very supportive of me carrying and a strong 2nd amendment supporter as well as an NRA member.

cslinger
October 8, 2005, 12:09 PM
Do the math and here is a hint, that ain't "my" AR15 :D

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/070335.JPG

Silver Bullet
October 8, 2005, 12:20 PM
Is your significant other ProGun?
If she weren't, she wouldn't be significant.

Rabid Rabbit
October 8, 2005, 07:46 PM
I don't really know but I'll be sure to ask when she comes back from the range.

shooting time
October 8, 2005, 09:21 PM
Yes she is she has carry permit and so does my daughter
and we all actively shoot

oneshooter
October 8, 2005, 09:31 PM
I shoot Highpower across the board and my Loving Wife shoots reduced course!! :D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

bjbarron
October 8, 2005, 09:42 PM
Maybe it's a bit strange, but my wife looks at my guns as 'objects of art'. Her approval of what I buy is related to how it looks.

We've been married 33 years and she was a 20-year-old artist when I met her who has made a life of art and design. Me, I'm an engineer.

She makes her decision my guns dependant on looks. She likes the classic looks of the 'old army', the 'hand ejector', the 1911, and the Luger. She hates the looks of the Walther P series, and the Glocks. She likes lever guns and bolt action rifles (except the Steyr Scout), but doesn't think much of automatic rifles (except for the old style BAR). To her, the Garand comes in behind the M1 Carbine.

She shoots rarely, but will go shopping with me and drool over an old Colt single action. Me, I want to shoot them...she wants to see how they look on the wall.

Detritus
October 9, 2005, 12:30 AM
pro-gun but not as strongly so as I am. (when she gets home i'll try to get her to post to this, and remove this blurb)

Sewerman
October 9, 2005, 08:40 AM
My wife is very pro gun, she has a glock 22 and a ruger single six that she can wear a target out with, shes also pretty much stolen my hi point .40 too :D

Essex County
October 9, 2005, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't have married her in 1966 if she was't pro-gun.....Essex

Moondoggie
October 9, 2005, 12:41 PM
When I met my beloved 27 yrs ago we were both armed security guards at a nuke power plant.

She had her own Model 10, a 12 gauge, and a .22 rifle. That was more guns than I owned at the time!!!

She bought me a CVA Hawken .50 BP rifle for a wedding present.

We've hunted and shot together throughout our 25 yrs of marriage. In the early days when tempers flared and we would say "That's it, time to file for divorce" we always had to renege since we couldn't agree on how to divvy up the guns!

She has no problems carrying. One of her .38's stays between the cushions of her favorite chair. Another is in a kitchen drawer. HER 625 is under her pillow.

IF Nebraska gets CCW in a couple of months (hopa, hopa, hopa!!!), she'll get a permit too.

Dead
October 9, 2005, 12:58 PM
Any significant other that I have been in a relationship was either A) pro-gun, or B) turned pro-gun ny myself. Most were infact turned pro-gun, when they realized that "guns do not= instant machines of death & destriction" but are just plain fun to shoot, and do not cause harm or death when one is touched.

Nicky Santoro
October 9, 2005, 03:24 PM
My wife is strongly pro gun and has a 649. She just can't understand why I need more than 1 handgun, 1 rifle, and 1 shotgun. I can't understand why she needs a dozen tablecloths and matching napkins for a dining room table we use twice a year.
Go figure.

Barbara
October 9, 2005, 03:35 PM
No SO, but it would be a requirement that he at least lean pro-gun.

aguyindallas
October 9, 2005, 10:22 PM
My wife was pretty much a semi-anti when we met. The interesting thing about that is that her entire family hunts, so she has been around guns all of her life.

Now, she is certainly not anti, although not quite as pro as I am. She has a couple of her own guns, but does not get out to shoot much (neither do I).

She has told me more than once that she is happy I carry since sometimes we just dont end up in the best part of town.

rhubarb
October 9, 2005, 11:28 PM
The tail end of a conversation today:

She tells me, "If they was a burglar tryin to get in and you wasn't home, I'd shoot him before he come through the door."

I say, "You ready to come with me to the range so I can learn you how to shoot a gun?"

Her reply, "No. I don't wanna shoot no gun."

I reckon that makes her middle of some road.
yellow brick road
:banghead:

hkmp5g17
October 9, 2005, 11:43 PM
No SO for me yet either.

I've had a lot of girls who I've liked and vice versa- until the self defense and firearms issue came up! I always hear something to the effect o f"but you seemed like such a nice guy!)

The girls who like the fact I'm a shooter tend to think I'm a "bad boy" so that doesn't work either- as I'm not.

I guess I could tolerate someone middle of the road- but if they are strongly anti I'm just not interested.

Anthony

If you enjoyed reading about "Is your significant other ProGun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!