What Holster for SAA for woods gun?

PDA

itgoesboom
October 7, 2005, 01:04 AM
I am looking to purchase a holster for my 4 5/8" .357mag Ruger Blackhawk to use as my woods gun.

I am trying to decide if I should go for a crossdraw or a strong side holster.

Any ideas?

I.G.B.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Holster for SAA for woods gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Master Blaster
October 7, 2005, 08:39 AM
Take a look here

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_field.html

really nice for a little more than Galco or Bianchi JUNK

timothy75
October 7, 2005, 08:40 AM
I use a Hunter that can be worn crossdraw or strong side. I think it ran me 30 bucks.

itgoesboom
October 7, 2005, 11:00 AM
Timothy,

I think that is one of the ones I am looking at. How is it? Comfortable? Does it hold the pistol well?

Thanks.

I.G.B.

OH25shooter
October 7, 2005, 11:11 AM
Here's a ton of sites to check for holsters and other misc. gun stuff. Enjoy: http://urona.com/links/

itgoesboom
October 7, 2005, 11:47 AM
I have tons of links to holster makers, I just need to decide if I should go crossdraw or strongside.

This will be my woods gun, and I will probably take it with me if I go hunting.

I.G.B.

Dr.Rob
October 7, 2005, 01:05 PM
I prefer cross draw for getting in and out of the truck, average walking around... a hammer thong or flap is essential for retention in either case. (your hands will be full of rifle/shotgun anyway)

It's expensive to find a good solid hi ride strong side holster w/ a retention screw for a cowboy gun.

I got my 'hunting' holster made by Trailrider products, it's a solid 1873 'cavalry pattern' full flap holster worn cross draw with 18 loops for spare cartridges. (12 didn't seem like enough) its' a good, servicable rig I've used for maybe ten years.

Try looking through the cowboy and "Hunter" leather goods at your local Sportsman's Warehouse... they have a big selection and don't mind you looking it over closely. Prices aren't bad either.

I almost always carry crossdraw with a large revolver, it's just more comfortable that way.

scbair
October 7, 2005, 01:32 PM
If you're planning to carry your revolver and a longarm, consider whether you'll be using a sling to tote the longarm. If so, a crossdraw rig might be sorta in the way . . .

October 8, 2005, 08:35 PM
+1 for mernickle. great holdters!

Mannlicher
October 9, 2005, 12:05 PM
I had an outfit in Gainesville Fl make me a cross draw, full flap holster for my Ruger SA. I hunt a lot in very heavy cover, thickets and swamps. I like the ease with which I can draw my Ruger, and I like the full flap to protect the gun. It is configured so I can also wear it on an across the chest strap, if I am wading through a swamp.

Frandy
October 9, 2005, 03:15 PM
Another vote for Mernickle...

Mernickle field holster page (http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_field.html)

The FC2 can be worn cross draw or strong side. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "What Holster for SAA for woods gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!