Dennis Miller Gets One (or ten) Right

PDA

Wombat
March 29, 2003, 11:05 AM
Miller gets it simple and right for the great unwashed, the savy-impaired, and other non-THR masses:

"TRYING TO HELP" By Dennis Miller

All the rhetoric on whether or not we should go to war against Iraq has got my little brain spinning like a top. I enjoy reading opinions from both sides, but I've detected a hint of confusion from some of you. Maybe this can help.

As I was reading the paper recently, I was reminded of the best advice anyone ever gave me. He told me about the "KISS" method ("Keep It Simple, Stupid!"). So with this as a theme, I'd like to apply this theory for those who don't quite get it. My hope is that we can simplify
things and recognize a few important facts.

Here are ten things to consider when voicing an opinion on this important issue:

(1) Between President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad guy.

(2) If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right things, keep this in mind: the UN has Libya heading the Committee on Human Rights
and Iraq! heading the Global Disarmament Committee. Do your own math here.

(3) If you use a Google or Yahoo search and type in "French Military Victories," don't be surprised if your computer panics at its inability to respond to your inquiry.

(4) If your only anti-war slogan is "No War For Oil," hire a pit bull lawyer and sue your school district for having allowed you to slip through the cracks and robbing you of the minimum education that any non-troglodyte deserves.

(5) You can take this one to the bank: Saddam and bin Laden will NOT seek UN approval before they try to kill us.

(6) Despite common belief among some, Martin Sheen is NOT the President. He only plays one on TV.

(7) If you are anti-war and even an outright "America Basher," to bin Laden you are still an "infidel" whom he wants dead.

(8) Be careful: if you believe in a "vast right-wing conspiracy," but not in the danger that Hussein poses, the only job you may be able to
get is as an Ivy League college professor.

(9) Even multi-culturalists who try to browbeat us into believing that all cultures are equally deserving of respect have trouble explaining
the past 1500 years of Islam.

(10) Whether you are for or against military action, our young men and women overseas are fighting to defend our right to speak out on these
issues. They deserve our unreserved support.

I hope this helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dennis Miller Gets One (or ten) Right" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DeltaElite
March 29, 2003, 11:09 AM
I love Dennis Miller's work. :D

Chris Rhines
March 29, 2003, 11:14 AM
You know, I bet that Dennis Miller would be really offended if you compared him to Martin Sheen, but they're both entertainers, and as such neither is know for being a font of well-devloped inductive thought. As Dennis just demonstrated.

- Chris

Lone_Gunman
March 29, 2003, 11:25 AM
Chris Rhines, sometimes even an entertainer can be right.

Ronald Reagan kind of comes to mind.

Zander
March 29, 2003, 11:35 AM
As Dennis just demonstrated.Seemed well-reasoned and articulate to me.

Airwolf
March 29, 2003, 11:45 AM
We need all the help we can get.

For every Dennis Miller, James Woods or Kurt Russell standing up for this country there are hundreds (or thousands) of mush-brained Hollywood limousine liberals spouting crap.

While I agree that being an actor doesn't give you some special knowledge of geo-politics (as some of them seem to think), many of us do recognize that First Amendment rights are in play here (up to the point when your words cross the line into treason or sedition).

I for one am glad to hear some voices that reflect the majority of the people for once.

ahenry
March 29, 2003, 11:49 AM
You know, I bet that Dennis Miller would be really offended if you compared him to Martin Sheen, but they're both entertainers, and as such neither is know for being a font of well-devloped inductive thought. As Dennis just demonstrated. Well since you asked me to pontificate on your Fred article (or maybe it was somebody else?), I’ll return the favor. How has Dennis just demonstrated not being a fount of “well-developed inductive thought”?

DeltaElite
March 29, 2003, 12:04 PM
Odd, I have been a Dennis Miller fan for years and he is as well informed and more intelligent and intuitive than those that continually demean him.
Maybe since he doesn't have a PhD, (piled high and deep), after his name, his opinion and insights mean less. ;)

Bulldozer
March 29, 2003, 12:18 PM
Grandpa always said that PHD after someone's name meant Piled High and Deep.

The more I see of the "academics", the more I believe that Gramps was dead-on right.

Airwolf
March 29, 2003, 12:44 PM
I learned it as:

BS = Bull:cuss:
MS = More:cuss:
PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper

gburner
March 29, 2003, 08:23 PM
chris,

i think you may be doing a bit of projecting. If your posts are any indication, you won't be teaching any DOD seminars on geo-politics either.

Dennis Miller's opinion is worth exactly whatever anyone elses is...whatever value that the marketplace of ideas places on it.

DeltaElite
March 29, 2003, 08:25 PM
If your posts are any indication, you won't be teaching any DOD seminars on geo-politics either.
ROFL :neener:

Chris Rhines
March 31, 2003, 05:14 PM
If your posts are any indication, you won't be teaching any DOD seminars on geo-politics either. (private laugh.) I suppose that you list an FPRI or a Brookings Institute fellowship on your resume, then. Face it GBurner, there are maybe two or three people (that I know of) on this board who are really qualified to comment on international relations. The rest of us are all armchair experts.

AHenry -

Fair enough. I'll go through it point-by-point.

(1) Between President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad guy. No supporting evidence offered, nor a definition of "the bad guy." Miller is essentally asking us to believe in his say-so.

(2) If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right things, keep this in mind: the UN has Libya heading the Committee on Human Rights and Iraq! heading the Global Disarmament Committee. Do your own math here. Although I suspect that our views on the usefulness (nay, the continued existence) of the UN are similar, I'd like to see some offical documentation on Iraq heading the "Global Disarmament Committee." In twenty minutes of browsing, I have been unable to confirm even the existence of a UN Committee on Global Disarmament, much less Iraq's membership/presidency of same. Perhaps Miller is refering to the UNDIR Conference on Disarmament (http://www.unidir.org/html/en/home.html), of which Iraq is indeed a member (at least as of 1999.) But that ain't a committee, it doesn't have the same power.

(3) If you use a Google or Yahoo search and type in "French Military Victories," don't be surprised if your computer panics at its inability to respond to your inquiry. While French-bashing is a well-regarded pastime, I have trouble seeing how France's military record has any relation to the Iraqi war at all, much less the question of whether or not to procede in such.

(4) If your only anti-war slogan is "No War For Oil," hire a pit bull lawyer and sue your school district for having allowed you to slip through the cracks and robbing you of the minimum education that any non-troglodyte deserves. Although I agree with this point, an explanation of why the war is not about oil would seem to be called for here.

(6) Despite common belief among some, Martin Sheen is NOT the President. He only plays one on TV. It seems somewhat ironic that a professional entertainer takes another professional entertainer to task for expressing political opinions (which is what prompted my original post.)

(8) Be careful: if you believe in a "vast right-wing conspiracy," but not in the danger that Hussein poses, the only job you may be able to get is as an Ivy League college professor. Again, no facts. Why is Saddam a danger to me? How does invading Iraq aleivate that danger? If Dennis Miller wants his views to be taken seriously, these are some of the questions that he should address.

(9) Even multi-culturalists who try to browbeat us into believing that all cultures are equally deserving of respect have trouble explaining the past 1500 years of Islam. So let me get this straight. Miller says that we should invade Iraq in order to destroy Islamic culture? Or just that Islamic culture is somehow evil and/or unworthy? Neither opinion strikes me as being the product of rational thought.

Aside: Islam is rapidly replacing Redneck as the "safe" socio/ethno/religous group to express one's bigotry on. Interesting, that.

(10) Whether you are for or against military action, our young men and women overseas are fighting to defend our right to speak out on these issues. They deserve our unreserved support. Our young men and women over in Iraq are NOT fighting for our freedom. Invading Iraq will at best have no effect on our individual liberties, and at worst it will severely curtail them. Even a cursory amount of thought reveals the illogic of that statement - was Iraq in some way endangering our ability to speak out here in the US?

As for the "we support our troops" thing, I've already expounded upon that at length. It makes no sense to support someone doing something that you think is wrong.

In short, the bulk of the article was Dennis Miller's personal bully pulpit, an attempt to advance his opinions based upon his fame rather than on the ideas' merit. As such, it was no different than Martin Sheen blathering on about "No Blood for Oil."

- Chris

D.W. Drang
March 31, 2003, 05:19 PM
It seems somewhat ironic that a professional entertainer takes another professional entertainer to task for expressing political opinions (which is what prompted my original post.) Why? Takes one to know one, after all. Myself, I am pleased ot see that that SOME entertainers understand the fact that BEING entertainers does NOT endow them wisdom or knowledge.
As much as I appreciate it when R Lee Ermey takes Barbara Striesand to task for letting her crocodile mouth take control from her hummingbird brain...

MrAcheson
March 31, 2003, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately Miller is wrong about (7) as well. Like the Vietnamese, Hussein and Bin Laden are counting on the American left and "peace" movement to undermine public moral and in effect keep them in power.

ahenry
March 31, 2003, 05:39 PM
I was going to type up a rebuttal to what you said Chris, but on second thought I just don’t feel like debating with somebody that says this, “Our young men and women over in Iraq are NOT fighting for our freedom”. It becomes hard for me to take anything you say as worth much when you appear to not even grasp the most simple of requirements of our Nation’s makeup. Dislike the makeup itself all you want, it is your right after all, misunderstand simple concepts of national defense and the need for such and I start to feel like I’m talking to somebody from another world. I appreciate the time you took to state your views on the article.

Chris Rhines
March 31, 2003, 05:48 PM
As you like.

The problem, AHenry, is not that I fail to understand anything about the workings of the USG, but that I reject out of hand a number of the assumptions that you base your philosophy on. For all intents and purposes, you are talking to someone from another world.

But if you don't wish to debate, that's fine.

- Chris

Silver Bullet
March 31, 2003, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure about Mr. Miller. About a year ago I heard him making anti-NRA statements, so I don't know if he's really on our side (RKBA) or not.

Nothing wrong with folks going to college and getting educated with new ideas. The problem is when they substitute those ideas for values.

Blackhawk
March 31, 2003, 06:04 PM
Nothing wrong with folks going to college and getting educated with new ideas. The problem is when they substitute those ideas for values.Ironically appropriate! :D

Thumper
March 31, 2003, 06:07 PM
Nothing wrong with folks going to college and getting educated with new ideas. The problem is when they substitute those ideas for values.

Common theme around here lately. I have to say I agree.

There are many who will always fail to see a higher purpose than "self." Self correcting problem, though. From what I've seen (and according to greater philosophers than myself), this tendency fades as one ages.

They're pretty hard to take seriously anyway.

Moondancer
March 31, 2003, 06:44 PM
FWIW, as an entertainer, I really like Dennis Miller. Whether his opinions are yours, their pretty close to mine.

I always loved his rants when I could watch Dennis Miller "Live".

As I have seen alot on another forum, tho, YMMV.

Dannyboy
March 31, 2003, 07:25 PM
Somebody really needs to lighten up and maybe get over himself.

Jmurman
March 31, 2003, 08:27 PM
I sure did like his last tv show. Now I like him even more!

Frohickey
March 31, 2003, 08:58 PM
Saddam Hussein - aka "Butcher of Baghdad"
George W Bush - aka "Butcher of the English language"

:D
I like the "strategery of nucular detergents". :p

OF
March 31, 2003, 09:36 PM
Something about that post doesn't sound like Dennis Miller to me. I'm betting it's not him.

- Gabe

PS: Yep. Found it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/miller.php

MitchSchaft
March 31, 2003, 10:05 PM
I heard him making anti-NRA statements
I do that all the time. And there are plenty on this very board that do so as well.:neener:

Sergeant Bob
April 1, 2003, 06:11 AM
Dannyboy
Somebody really needs to lighten up and maybe get over himself.

Amen!

Abe
April 1, 2003, 08:10 AM
...but that I reject out of hand a number of the assumptions that you base your philosophy on. For all intents and purposes, you are talking to someone from another world.

I work with a bunch of people that sound just like this. They attempt to sound so intellectual, so infinitely logical, so infinitely rational. They can't possibly stand for anything as their feet are firmly planted in mid-air. It is indeed like arguing with "someone from another world." (I might add that they are all in the 22 to 32 range so that in and of itself may be the problem.)

Here's a quote from G.K. Chesterton (from "Orthodoxy" first published in 1908, so we’ve seen the type before) that I believe sums up the situation nicely.

“…But the new rebel is a Skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which he denounces it. Thus he writes one book complaining that imperial oppression insults the purity of women, and then he writes another book (about the sex problem) in which he insults it himself. He curses the Sultan because Christian girls lose their virginity, and then curses Mrs. Grundy because they keep it. As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of time. A Russian pessimist will denounce a policeman for killing a peasant, and then prove by the highest philosophical principles that the peasant ought to have killed himself. A man denounces marriage as a lie, and then denounces aristocratic profligates for treating it as a lie. He calls a flag a bauble, and then blames the oppressors of Poland or Ireland because they take away that bauble. The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts. In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite skeptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.”

- Abe

seeker_two
April 1, 2003, 12:19 PM
I like the "strategery of nucular detergents".

[bad singing] I'm gonna wash Sa-daam right outta Iraq... [/bad singing]

Chris Rhines
April 1, 2003, 02:04 PM
Abe -

I'm afraid that you've mistaken me for a relativist. My ethical principles are quite firmly planted on the ground, thank you. ;)

Good quote though. I've been reading The Man Who Was Thursday on and off for the past year or so. Good book, in the literary sense anyway, but the politics in it are kind of tough to wrap my head around.

- Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Dennis Miller Gets One (or ten) Right" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!