What U.S. immigrant groups are most likely to own guns?

PDA

MatthewVanitas
October 7, 2005, 09:07 PM
In the past, we've touched on the firearm attitudes of various groups of immigrants in the U.S. (Hmong, Sikhs, etc.)

Speaking in generalities, what ethnic/cultural groups are most likely to own firearms? What type, and why?

A Vietnamese friend told me that a lot of folks in his community buy AKs and SKSs, presumably out of a mistrust for central authority, and in some cases past familiarity with the CommBloc weapons.

I've heard of Sikhs who own firearms as a logical extension of the kirpan. (The Kirpan is a ceremonial knife that members of the Sikh religion are required to carry with them at all times). However, I've also seen Sikh websites argue that the kirpan is not a weapon, and that firearms are not an appropriate substitute.

That's the limit of my current knowledge, but I'd welcome any input from the assembly. And if you have any comments on groups _least_ likely to own firearms, that would also be interesting.

-MV

If you enjoyed reading about "What U.S. immigrant groups are most likely to own guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
October 7, 2005, 09:35 PM
The Scots-Irish have a long history of gun ownership in this country.

John

Biker
October 7, 2005, 09:36 PM
I've heard that MS 13 has a pretty good collection. ;)
Biker

carebear
October 7, 2005, 09:59 PM
My Mexican co-worker is looking at a SAA, today in fact.

Which is stereotypical, but he doesn't care. (I'm trying to get him to buy some bandoleros too)

:D

jeff-10
October 7, 2005, 10:11 PM
Cubans in Miami are known for there gun ownership. Maybe they dream they will have chance to use them on Fidel.

MikeJackmin
October 7, 2005, 10:29 PM
I've always been surprised that the crowd at the Syracuse, NY gun show is almost uniformly white. Maybe it only attracts a certain slice of the gun buying population, with the other folks preferring to shop in gun stores, or Walmart, or on-line.

I'm sure the BATF knows, they ask for your race when you fill out their little form. Maybe they make the totals public somewhere? I'd be interested to see it, if they do.

MatthewVanitas
October 7, 2005, 10:37 PM
JohnBT: maybe a century ago newly-arrived Scots-Irish folks bought guns, but I doubt (given the prevailing attitudes in the modern Isles) that said market segment buys many guns these days.

Being viewed a predominantly "middle-aged white male" interest is certainly not helping the 2nd Amendment cause in this country. Thus it would be interesting to figure out which cultural niches in the U.S. own firearms, particularly for political (vice sporting) reasons.

Majic
October 7, 2005, 10:50 PM
maybe a century ago newly-arrived Scots-Irish folks bought guns, but I doubt (given the prevailing attitudes in the modern Isles) that said market segment buys many guns these days.
I guess you haven't heard of the IRA.

MatthewVanitas
October 7, 2005, 11:07 PM
I guess you haven't heard of the IRA.

Majic: the guys who just put all their guns "beyond use" last month? The guys who blew up Lord Mountbatten, right?

Are you stating that IRA members/sympathizers who emigrate to the U.S. commonly buy firearms? If so, that's news to me. Not necessarily surprising (do they all buy AR-18 "widowmakers"?), but I still don't think that they constitute any noteable percentage of Irish/North Irish immigrants to the United State.

So, unless someone can explain otherwise, I'll stick by my assumption that current U.S. immigrants from Ireland and the U.K. do not buy firearms in substantial numbers, but feel free to prove me wrong. -MV

larry starling
October 7, 2005, 11:28 PM
On the corner near where I work it would appear that most of the gun owners are African-american. There gun of choice is usually a highpoint or some other low end firearm. And according to the local news they know how to use them pretty well. every morning on the local news there is a murder or shooting.....:what:

paul45
October 7, 2005, 11:41 PM
Say.....you must work near me! I think I work near that street corner also. Too bad Charlotte has already surpassed last years murder rate earlier this month. About the only time I see a police officer is when they set up "click it or ticket" road blocks !? Yes, crack whores, drugs, break ins, and murder......but Charlottes finest will bust your law-abiding a** if they catch you without your seat belt !! :fire: :cuss:

Stauble
October 8, 2005, 12:38 AM
......but Charlottes finest will bust your law-abiding a** if they catch you without your seat belt !!

thats seems to be the situation in South Florida too :banghead:

ive noticed some groups of Jamaicans at guns shows and ranges before

if i had to guess id say western europeans with the exception of the Swiss (my ancestors :D ) are least likly to own firearms.
i know a lot of people from former communist countries tend to be pro 2nd ammendment

mcg-doc
October 8, 2005, 12:39 AM
If Oleg and I any indication, Russkies love guns!

YK
October 8, 2005, 12:58 AM
+1.
There is a fair amount of Russians and Eastern European where I shoot.

October 8, 2005, 01:02 AM
I am surprised at the posts so far.
It has been my opinion that the race that absolutely love guns and are very active in sports like IPSC are Filipinos.
Second, I would say, Mexicans.

Of course some of this might be influenced by the racial makeup of your community.

c_yeager
October 8, 2005, 03:11 AM
Most of the first generation immigrant groups I have come into contact with have almost universally been open to the ownership of weapons with the singular exception of people from Africa. I have no idea why this is the case but I have known a number of Hispanics, Eastern Europeans, Asians, and Pacific Islanders who have all had a strong interest in learning more about, and purchasing, firearms but i have yet to meet an immigrant from Africa that had anything but fear and disdain for firearms and that is a well represented group in this area.

Buck Snort
October 8, 2005, 04:48 AM
I work with a lot of Mexicans and as a group they are VERY fond of firearms. They know first hand how gun control works/fails.

Wags
October 8, 2005, 05:19 AM
I would guess any new immigrant no matter what country they came from who is interested in firearms would try the shooting sports. I cannot see where any particular nationality would be more favorable than another? We ourselves have a large born and raised American anti-gun crowd here on our own soil.

My wife is a Belarussian immigrant who spent 10+ years living in Russia and she could give a hoot less about my firearms. My father in law and both brother in laws (all former Russian Army) who still live in Belarus are more interested in the fishing here! Go figure....... And of course inquiring about when I am going to send over more American visky!

gunsmith
October 8, 2005, 05:57 AM
guess you haven't heard of the IRA.

I lived in Ireland for two years, some of the rural folks hunt but for the most part it's a very anti gun culture.

kframe357
October 8, 2005, 07:44 AM
um, white guys. all immigrant groups, remember?

toblerone
October 8, 2005, 07:58 AM
Stauble: "if i had to guess id say western europeans with the exception of the Swiss (my ancestors ) are least likly to own firearms."

Certainly members of 'The Fifth Switzerland' are the most likely to be affiliated with a formal club and shoot competatively:
Auslandschweizertag,Eidg. Schützenfest Frauenfeld 05..
http://frauenfeld05.asvf.ch/thumbnails.php?album=36

c_yeager
October 8, 2005, 08:18 AM
um, white guys. all immigrant groups, remember?

Immigrants are people who have come to one country from another. It doesnt matter if your parents or grand parents made the trip. your only an immigrant if you A) have made this your permament residence and B) were born in another nation.

HighVelocity
October 8, 2005, 08:33 AM
I think my Vietnamese neighbors are fairly well armed or they just like green ammo cans. :scrutiny:

jrpeterman
October 8, 2005, 08:44 AM
During the LA riots, The media coverage showed Korean store owners who were well armed, protecting their businesses.

joab
October 8, 2005, 08:56 AM
I think my Vietnamese neighbors are fairly well armed or they just like green ammo cansThat's interesting. The VNs that I know are very non gun, if not anti gun. The few that are remotely interested are extremely unknowledgeable and refuse to be taught.

The Cubans and Mexicans I know share a healthy pro gun attitude even if they are not owners, but few are collectors.

I have never met an Israeli that was not knowledgeable and that didn't own at least one, those that I've gotten know well enough to share this info.

I used to work pest control in the Bay hill and Isleworth areas where the rich immigrants live and Azalea Park where the poor Hispanic immigrants live and a few years in the Mills Asiantown area.

From what I have seen the richer they are the less likely they are to adopt our gun attitudes
The middle class type and small business owners are most likely to own a gun
The poor seem to have other priorities

DR
October 8, 2005, 09:03 AM
JohnBT: maybe a century ago newly-arrived Scots-Irish folks bought guns, but I doubt (given the prevailing attitudes in the modern Isles) that said market segment buys many guns these days.

I'm doing my best to keep the Scots' average up there. :) Time to get a bigger safe!

marklbucla
October 9, 2005, 01:45 AM
Depending on how the question is phrased:

By raw numbers of people who themselves came from other countries, I'd bet on the Mexicans. Even if a small % of them own guns, that's still a lot of people.

By %, I'd probably agree with a previous poster and say Pilipinos (Filipinos or however you want to spell it). I've read in previous posts and from my fiancee's family that they have a fairly pro-gun country and they're looking into "Permits to Carry" as it's been talked about on international news in past months. At ranges in Los Angeles/Orange County, the Filipinos seem to make up a lot of the Non-White "Gun People." I usually see them with custom 1911s.

Tom Servo
October 9, 2005, 03:10 AM
I've been noticing ALOT more gun ownership among the black community around here lately. Mostly lower-middle to middle-class folks who seem to be seeing the liberal antigun dogma for the load of malarkey that it is (the establishment in Atlanta teaches that guns are only used by criminals and our Trusted Friends in the government).

They're a great bunch to shoot with. Very safety-conscious, open-minded and not afraid to ask questions. Some are just as sick of crime as the rest of us, and others have taken a sort of "never again" attitude towards their history here, but everyone I've talked to has rational and well-thought-out reasons for owning guns, and most are really concerned with becoming good marksmen.

There's one lady in particular who's just surgical with a SP101. I'll take her at my back any day :)

chris in va
October 9, 2005, 04:11 AM
My friend and his brother were born in Moscow. They both *adore* commbloc rifles...AK, SKS, Mosin etc.

JohnBT
October 9, 2005, 09:49 AM
Sorry, misread the question.

"Speaking in generalities, what ethnic/cultural groups are most likely to own firearms?"

thatguy
October 9, 2005, 11:35 AM
Many immigrants quickly exercise the right to own arms after escaping their previous oppressive systems of government. In my experience the Vietnamese like to arm themselves and the AK and SKS are popular. I saw one disgruntled Vietnamese immigrant complaining to the dealer who had sold him an AK the day before that he discovered at the range that it wasn't full auto. He was pissed at being sold a lousy semi-auto rifle.

Old Dog
October 9, 2005, 01:26 PM
Will concur with the posters who mentioned Filipinos. Have served with a lot of great guys from the Philippines (the Navy has a long tradition of Filipino servicemember), and a huge percentage of them are gun guys ... many of 'em 1911 enthusiasts like myself, and all of 'em favor well-made, high grade firearms.

Have been acquainted with a Hmong (family from Laos and Cambodia I believe) immigrant; he and his family are all dedicated deer and elk hunters and general gun enthusiasts.

White Horseradish
October 9, 2005, 04:10 PM
One more vote for Russians. There is even a Russian immigrant internet gun forum I know about.

joab
October 9, 2005, 07:42 PM
In my experience the Vietnamese like to arm themselves and the AK and SKS are popular. I saw one disgruntled Vietnamese immigrant complaining to the dealer who had sold him an AK the day before that he discovered at the range that it wasn't full auto. He was pissed at being sold a lousy semi-auto rifle.

Goes back to what I said earlier about refusing to be taught.

But The Viets I know hate my AK and SKS and look down on me for owning the VC guns.
The second gererationals tend to be more accepting

The older VN War vets think that 1911s are a symbol of America and tend to get pissed if they are mentioned in the same sentence as AKs

nfl1990
October 9, 2005, 07:56 PM
I personally know a Cuban immigrant who owns guns in part because under Castro he was unable to.

bad LT
October 9, 2005, 08:19 PM
By percentage, I would probably say "White African Americans" - white people born in Africa who now live in the US.

TheEgg
October 10, 2005, 01:26 PM
I work with a lot of Mexicans and as a group they are VERY fond of firearms. They know first hand how gun control works/fails.

+1.

The Mexican/Americans I know seem to be very fond of EBR's, expecially the AR-15. :)

DontBurnMyFlag
October 10, 2005, 04:29 PM
russians. in my experience, if your a russian, came from the communist regime and now live in America, you have a gun. Its just my experience. But I also ran into a few russian mobsters in my travels as well :eek:

roo_ster
October 10, 2005, 04:52 PM
I saw one disgruntled Vietnamese immigrant complaining to the dealer who had sold him an AK the day before that he discovered at the range that it wasn't full auto. He was pissed at being sold a lousy semi-auto rifle.
Man, that warms my heart. He's right to be p!ssed, too!

svtruth
October 10, 2005, 05:02 PM
I'd vote for Texans.

Moonclip
October 10, 2005, 05:04 PM
As mentioned, Filipinos like guns a lot usually, with 1911 pattern guns being a favorite. Mexicans usually like guns too, especially anything Colt. 38supers are very popular and Winchester lever actions in 30/30 are also favorites(there is even a tequila named 30/30). For some reason too, they like Boker knives.

I find that Indian immigrants, don't know about the Sikhs as much though, are almost never seen at a gun shop or range. The owner or either Ajax or Eagle grips, I forget which, is a Sikh though.

While definately not immigrants, are Native Americans usually fond of guns too? Don't know about Irish beyond the IRA stereotype though I have met some on vacation at a range and my Irish penpal did not like guns.

Vietnamese seem fairly open to gun ownership usually. I noticed them seeming to like 38 spl S&W revolvers, at least the older Vietnamese.

wingnutx
October 10, 2005, 05:09 PM
South Africans and Mexicans.

solareclipse
October 10, 2005, 07:36 PM
Generally those from countries where firearms aren't prohibited.

The excepttion would be the british but those who are here i consider emancipated and they have obviously moved for such reasons... or at least influenced by.

K-Romulus
October 11, 2005, 11:32 AM
A minivan with the following stickers:

- National Rifle Association
- flag of India
- "Indians for Christ"

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "What U.S. immigrant groups are most likely to own guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!