Don't mean to brag, but I've just had an incredible gun experience

PDA

hillbilly
October 7, 2005, 10:33 PM
Okay, I've been holding back all week.

But since Monday night, I've been at the U.S. Olympic Training Facility in Colorado Springs, CO.

I'm here attending the Advanced/International rifle coach course and attending the national coach convention.

Tonight, I helped folks load trucks, transport, and unload trucks....the stuff on the trucks? Things that will be auctioned off tomorrow to raise money for the U.S. Olympic team.

Tonight, I've had the most incredible experience.

I have walked across the campus of the U.S. Olympic Training Facility with a flawless Springfield National Match M1 Garand in my hands.

Is this a great country or what?

hillbilly

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't mean to brag, but I've just had an incredible gun experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
October 7, 2005, 10:51 PM
Cool! What a great time.

P95Carry
October 7, 2005, 11:56 PM
Great stuff Hillbilly - that is an elite unit you are involved with and I have tried now and again to support them -

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/shoot6/usa-shoot-team.jpg

akluvr
October 8, 2005, 08:59 AM
Any way to hook a brother up with one of those flawless M1's? Congrats Hillbilly, a great honor indeed. Drink it in.

esheato
October 8, 2005, 09:12 AM
Any way to hook a brother up with one of those flawless M1's?

Ditto, but I'd settle for some pictures. :D

Ed

AirForceShooter
October 8, 2005, 10:00 AM
Mondo Cool.
Enjoy the feeling
Is it better than sex?

AFS

hillbilly
October 8, 2005, 11:52 PM
No, not better than sex.

Very cool, though.

There will be pictures coming, as soon as I get home and download them.

Yee-haw.

By the way, that Garand sold at auction for only $925.

A Remington 40X with a Unertl 20X went for about $1625. I think the scope alone was worth more than that.

hillbilly

dk-corriveau
October 9, 2005, 07:23 AM
$925 :what:

Damn, when is next year's auction? I will start saving now!

blume357@bellsouth.net
October 9, 2005, 08:56 AM
It's a wonder you are not in some federal detention facility indefinately.......

VARifleman
October 9, 2005, 11:40 AM
A Remington 40X with a Unertl 20X went for about $1625. I think the scope alone was worth more than that.
No, it isn't, but if you bought that and sold them seperately you'd make a profit.

It's a wonder you are not in some federal detention facility indefinately.......
Care to explain that?

hillbilly
October 9, 2005, 11:13 PM
Here's a couple of pics from the Olympic trip.

The first pic is Sarah Blakesley on the line at the USA Shooting center. Her air rifle is hooked up to an infra-red laser system (bullseye on the screen in the background) that can analyze her hold before shot, her trigger squeeze, and her follow through after the shot.

Next to that is the view from atop the Olympic visitor's center. That big stand thing is where they use the Olympic torch to light a flame atop the building that burns all the way through the Olympics. Flags, Rocky Mountains.....tres cool.

hillbilly

larry_minn
October 9, 2005, 11:36 PM
By the way, that Garand sold at auction for only $925.
Dang that sounds like a great price esp if $$$ going to good cause. Any chance they will live webcast it next year?

hillbilly
October 9, 2005, 11:37 PM
Okay, three more pics here.

First, the $3500 special collector's edition Ruger that was raffled off at $20 per ticket. Gary Anderson, director of the CMP, won the Ruger.

Second, me in front of the seal on the wall right inside the Athlete's Center at the USOTC.

Lastly, me holding that Garand I posted about. I was smiling very largely, until I thought the person shooting the picture couldn't figure out the camera, and then I started to say something, and FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a lot more happy than I look in the shot.

hillbilly

Justin
October 9, 2005, 11:38 PM
The OTC freakin' rocks. Best competitive shooting facility I've ever been to.

Have you met Lones? :evil:

hillbilly
October 9, 2005, 11:44 PM
Two more.....

First, Pike's Peak as seen from the front of the Athlete's Center this morning.

Cool, huh?

And, Matt Emmons--Gold Medalist from 2004 Olympics, autographing posters.

And yes, I got my own poster autographed just after snapping this photo.

hillbilly

hillbilly
October 9, 2005, 11:54 PM
Justin wrote:

"Have you met Lones? "

As an answer to that question, I present one last picture of a special DVD I got.....It's sponsored by Daisy and focuses on the US Olympic shooters.

And check that signature that somehow got on the front of my copy of that DVD.

hillbilly

The Tourist
October 10, 2005, 03:04 AM
P95Carry,

Glad to see you posting again. I miss the debates.

P95Carry
October 10, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hey Tourist! Not gone - just more ''behind the scenes'' these days.

What's maybe called a ''more lurking'' mod - sheesh with my obscene post count I've probably said all I can say - and some! :D

Hillbilly - some great pics - memorable period of time for you I'll bet :)

esheato
October 10, 2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the pics...sounds like a heckuva time...congrats.

Ed

No_Brakes23
October 10, 2005, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a great time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't mean to brag, but I've just had an incredible gun experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!