Guns of historical notoriety

PDA

MatthewVanitas
October 8, 2005, 02:03 AM
Random, perhaps morbid, thread.

What firearm do you find interesting due to it's use in a specific notorious historical event?

Note, "specific event", not just a firearms generally used by Communists, the Baath party, etc, but individual negative moments in history.

I'll go first:

Star .380: in 1951 William S. Burroughs (a compatriot of Beat poets Kerouac and Ginsberg) and his common-law wife Joan Vollmer went to an apartment above an American expat bar in Mexico, to sell Burrough's Star .380 automatic. While waiting for the buyer, the couple and a friend drank heavily. Burroughs turned to Joan and said "I guess it's time for our William Tell act. Put a glass on your head." She did so, Burroughs aimed the pistol at the glass, fired, and put one round through his wife's forehead. After being charged with criminal negligence by Mexican authorities, he fled to Morocco, where he wrote his famous Beat book "Naked Lunch".

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns of historical notoriety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mr.trooper
October 8, 2005, 02:12 AM
Um... Oswald, in the repository, with the Carcano?

Ala Dan
October 8, 2005, 07:16 AM
the old Colt snubby that Jack Ruby killed Oswald with. If memory serves me correctly, it auctioned several years ago for $225,000.

Trebor
October 8, 2005, 09:34 AM
The most notorious gun in history has to be the FN .32 pistol used to assassinate Archduke Ferdinand and start WWI. Nothing else comes close. No other single firearm has had the impact on world history.

El Tejon
October 8, 2005, 10:35 AM
Trebor, good one.

How about the Kalishnaklone that Patrick Purdy used to murder five children in Stockton, California?

armoredman
October 8, 2005, 10:50 AM
The .22 revolver John Hinkley used to wound President Reagan and Jim Brady, triggering the Brady Bunch....

jobu07
October 8, 2005, 10:51 AM
Can't remember exactly what they used, but how about the guns that Klebold and the other screwy kids used in Columbine? I think one of them was a Hi-point Carbine.

Quantrill
October 8, 2005, 11:05 AM
The "Make my day"" .44 Clint used. (It was actually a .41 you know because the studio did not have a model 29 on hand). Anyway that gun is responsible for a lot of quotes over the years. And of course the deringer that was used to kill Lincoln. Quantrill

M-Rex
October 8, 2005, 11:57 AM
I'd like to have any of the Browning BAR's that took out Bonnie and Clyde. Either that, or my hero, General George S. Patton's S&W Model 27, .357 and Colt 1873 SAA.

xdoctor
October 8, 2005, 12:02 PM
I'd like to have one of the weapons used in the storming of the bastille. Can you imagine? Owning a French weapon that has actually been fired? :D

GunGoBoom
October 8, 2005, 12:31 PM
St. Valentine's Day massacre.....Tommy Gun. Not a specific gun, but a specific type and a specific event. Some tommies WERE used, weren't they?

Kurush
October 8, 2005, 12:35 PM
Supposedly the Yugo AK kits that came into the country were used by Bosnian Serb paramilitaries. When I finally get around to cleaning mine off it's going to be strange knowing that the crud in the bore may have been deposited during an atrocity :uhoh:

otomik
October 8, 2005, 12:38 PM
Sergent York's 1911?
Buffallo Bill's Peacemaker?

enfield303
October 8, 2005, 12:48 PM
Patton's ivory handled revos.

Sleeping Dog
October 8, 2005, 12:50 PM
the FN .32 pistol used to assassinate Archduke Ferdinand
+1.
Gavrilo Princip really started a series of war, retribution, and more war that continues through today. That little pistol (Browning design?) he used to shoot the Archduke in Sarajevo should be a museum piece, if it could be found and proven to be "the one".

armoredman
October 8, 2005, 01:23 PM
True - a magazine of FMJ started TWO World Wars, and changed the face of the world forever...and all he did was kill two people.

jacobtowne
October 8, 2005, 01:38 PM
Currently on display at the MFA in Boston is part of the collections of Edward Koch (I think that's his name), including art (Modigliani) and some rare artifacts from the Old West.
Included:
The Smith & Wesson Model 3 used by John Ford to kill Jesse James.
Bat Masterson's special order engraved, inscribed, Colt SAA.
JT

Quantrill
October 8, 2005, 02:17 PM
I think that is BOB Ford, not John. I think John Ford was a movie director.

Justin
October 8, 2005, 02:26 PM
Either that, or my hero, General George S. Patton's S&W Model 27, .357 and Colt 1873 SAA.

At least as of a few years ago, those pistols were on display at The Patton Museum, Ft. Knox, KY. I assume they still are.

For anyone near the area or passing through it, I highly recommend stopping in to see the museum. Not only do they have a lot of Patton's stuff there, but they also have a large collection of tanks covering everything from WWI to the modern era.

smokemaker
October 8, 2005, 03:08 PM
The S&W bodygaurd used by the Saigon police officer( I thought I read it was the chief somewheres) to assasinate the VC, or VC supporter during Tet, and recorded for historical record on film.

Ultima-Ratio
October 8, 2005, 03:41 PM
Or perhaps one of the many guns used by Porter Rockwell?

WarMachine
October 8, 2005, 03:59 PM
The rifle used to assassinate Martin Luther King Jr. I am not sure of the make or model however, anyone know?

Onmilo
October 8, 2005, 05:29 PM
Carlos Hathcock's Winchester Model 70.

rbmcmjr
October 8, 2005, 06:41 PM
The S&W bodygaurd used by the Saigon police officer( I thought I read it was the chief somewheres) to assasinate the VC, or VC supporter during Tet, and recorded for historical record on film.
Lt. Colonel Nguyen Ngoc Loan. He used to be the Maitre D' at Nick's Seafood Pavilion in Yorktown, VA.

Based on the photo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Nguyen_Ngoc_Loan_executing_a_Viet_Cong_prisoner_in_Saigon , I think it was a Centennial.

Rick

Hardware
October 8, 2005, 08:34 PM
How about the derringer used by John Wilkes Booth to kill Lincoln? Or Guiteau's revolver used to kill Grover Cleveland? And the revolver used by Jack Ruby to dry gulch Lee Harvey Oswald?

Rich K
October 8, 2005, 09:05 PM
IIRC,Charles Guiteau killed President McKinley,not Grover Cleveland.

Kamicosmos
October 8, 2005, 09:14 PM
The rifle used to assassinate Martin Luther King Jr. I am not sure of the make or model however, anyone know?

Remington Gamemaster 760 slide-action 30-06.

I have one. It was my grandfather's deer rifle. He bought it in 1953. It still shoots pretty well. How he took mule deer up in the mountains of CO and WY at some pretty long distances with that 4x 3/4" objective scope, I don't know! But it's a pretty darn good rifle.

Dionysusigma
October 8, 2005, 09:25 PM
My dad's old Daisy BB gun. My uncle still has a scar above his left eye... :scrutiny:

The lever-action 12ga used by Schwartzenegger (sp?) in T2, along with the mini-gun.

The first rock ever thrown at somebody.

Dr.Rob
October 8, 2005, 10:21 PM
Charles Gitaeau killed Pres. James Garfield (you two must not be Johnny Cash fans)

I'd love to have some of the guns of Bonnie and Clyde, including their BARs.

Ditto for Hamer's crew that took them down.

MatthewVanitas
October 9, 2005, 01:00 AM
Leon Czolgosz was the one who killed president McKinley at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo. McKinley was at the festival for some "shake hands with the president" event, and Czolgosz got in line with the rest. Seeing that the security was searching the crowd, he put his pistol in his palm and wrapped a hankerchief around his hand as a pretend bandage. Apparently, his ruse worked.

And Czolgosz's weapon of choice (as mentioned in the old-time song "Hard Times"):

"And the people they came runnin' round to see what had been done/
The said 'you have shot the president with your Iver Johnson gun.'"

.32 caliber, presumably one of the little topbreaks copies off of S&W.

Oleg Volk
October 9, 2005, 01:12 AM
French m.1935 submachine gun used to ice Mussolini.
Whatever rifle was used to retire Alliende.
Guns Tam used to ward off evil and feral things.

Vex
October 9, 2005, 02:42 AM
Whatever rifle was used to retire Alliendesalvador allende of Chile? self inflicted retirement via gold plated AK, with inscription "from my good friend Fidel Castro."

Norman Schwartzkoff's M9?

MountainPeak
October 9, 2005, 03:23 AM
Kurt Kobane's shot gun. I might be able to sell it for a few bucks.

ulflyer
October 9, 2005, 07:28 AM
Several years ago at Charlotte Gun show a guy had a Luger with big time blood pits and in all seriousness said "it was used by Hitler to kill himself". In all seriousness I traded him a Rossi revolver and $100. Dang thing was clean as a whistle inside, all parts matched, and shot good, but as with much of my stuff I sold it to a guy who collected guns with that kind of pitting. Should have keep that piece of history. :neener:

Trebor
October 9, 2005, 08:57 AM
Gavrilo Princip really started a series of war, retribution, and more war that continues through today. That little pistol (Browning design?) he used to shoot the Archduke in Sarajevo should be a museum piece, if it could be found and proven to be "the one".

The pistol still exists. There was an article about it a year or so ago. It was found in a Monastary in Europe somewhere (of all places). The serial number matched the numbers of the pistols known to have been supplied to the terror group that the assassin was a member of. A search should turn up the link. And yes, it was a Brownign design.

Hutch
October 9, 2005, 10:36 AM
Princip simply lit the fuse. That powderkeg was gonna go off the next time anyone sneezed in Europe, anyway. May as well blame the cannoneer the touched of the first shot fired on Fort Sumter for the War between the States.

smokemaker
October 9, 2005, 10:54 AM
RBMCMJR,
Thanks for verifying the facts there, I didn't have time to do a fact check on that statement before I posted, and I know it was a bit foggy, so I'm happy somebody squared it away.

MuzzleBlast
October 9, 2005, 11:12 AM
Hutch: Good point.

My contribution: The .22 revolver used by Sirhan Sirhan to ice Bobby Kennedy. This event was a large part of the push for gun control that led to the Gun Control Act of 1968, which created the ATF and the whole gun dealer licensing system.

Hardware
October 9, 2005, 12:52 PM
Dr. Rob,
I stand corrected. The memory is the second thing to go on you. I forget what the first thing is.

repsychler
October 9, 2005, 01:12 PM
How about the pistols that Hamilton and Burr dueled with? Not sure what they were though.

Ala Dan
October 9, 2005, 01:53 PM
One mo', the original 2.5" barrel Colt Python .357 that the actual
Walking Tall hero Buford Pusser had in the glove box of the
Corvette that he was killed in~! :uhoh:

Now on display at the Cops R' Tops police museum located
in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

fm451
October 11, 2005, 02:26 PM
For a notorious gun, how about the selective fire Mauser Pistol (Model 1932 or Model 712) used by Assassin 'Vlado Makedonski' to kill King Alexander II of Yugoslavia on 9 October 1934. The Assassin was armed that day with 1. The Mauser 7.63 machine pistol (no stock), with one ten and two twenty round magazines. 2. A Walther PP 7.65 mm pistol with 7 (!) eight round magazines; 3. Two Italian grenades with "all ways" impact fuse, to be used during his escape.

There were, in fact, several assassins along the King's planned route, and all were armed in exactly the same manner - Mauser and Walter pistols, and grenades.

Saw the newsreel footage of this political murder - the first captured on film.

This is the only real world use of the M712 that I have come accross. In the cinema, it became fashionable in several British based crime thrillers during the '70s - Sitting Target (1972), Brannigan (1975) and The Disappearance (1977). Quite an impressive looking gun!

BigG
October 11, 2005, 02:58 PM
a magazine of FMJ started TWO World Wars, and changed the face of the world forever...and all he did was kill two people.

Boy, that is an overstatement, imho. :uhoh: The crowned heads of Europe were itching for an excuse - any excuse to be at each others' throats. Princip gave them an excuse but he did not CAUSE WWI, it would have happened anyway.

Dragun
October 11, 2005, 08:04 PM
MountainPeak, i heard Kobane's drug addicted old lady had that evil shotty melted down so it would not kill anyone again. Bad shotty, Bad!!!

realmswalker
October 11, 2005, 08:07 PM
Not really a ntorious gun, But how about the pistols used by the earp brothers and doc holiday and the clantons used at the OK corral shootout. Those wouold be awesome pieces of history to own.

bjbarron
October 11, 2005, 08:24 PM
I always told myself that if I hit it rich I would track down every gun that Nathan Bedford Forrest ever owned.

KriegHund
October 11, 2005, 08:34 PM
This is gonna take some thought....

ANy of the various guns saddam or his sons used to target practice.

The AR-15 style gun used by the DC sniper.

Stoney
October 11, 2005, 08:49 PM
The one I would like is a shot yet to be fired.With luck, it's the one A USMC sniper sends Osama Bin Laden straight to Hell with. :fire:

Gewehr98
October 11, 2005, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't mind having Winston Churchill's Broomhandle Mauser, the one he carried in the Sudan as a young officer in 1898.

Oh, and one of Saddam's gold-plated AK's, preferably an underfolder, thank you. :D

c_yeager
October 11, 2005, 09:38 PM
In terms of world gun control one cannot ignore the AR15 used by Martin Bryant in the Port Arthur Massacre nor the shotgun fired by Thomas Hamilton in the 1996 Dunblane, Scotland school shootings.

fm451
October 12, 2005, 12:35 AM
For those who want more information re the Browning automatic that Princip used to shoot the Archduke, the links below give good information.

check out these links.....

http://www.gunsworld.com/world/browng1910_us.html

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=714342004

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=15785&st=0

The third link is a forum discussion, and actually shows a picture of the Browning 1910 (.380) that was used. Scroll about 3/4 down. And I always thought it was a Browning 1900 7.65!

Carl N. Brown
October 12, 2005, 04:30 PM
Thought Hitler shot himself with a 7.65mm Walther PPK.

Would like capt. Frank Hamer's Model 8 .35 Remington
autolaoding rifle from the Bonnie and Clyde takedown
if that fits the definition of notoriety.

MountainPeak
November 1, 2005, 10:30 PM
MountainPeak, i heard Kobane's drug addicted old lady had that evil shotty melted down so it would not kill anyone again. Bad shotty, Bad!!! Wanna bet she will regret that later?

mattdus
November 1, 2005, 10:53 PM
Thought Hitler shot himself with a 7.65mm Walther PPK
That is correct i believe, I know it wasn't a luger. the weapon which Hitler supposedly killed himself with was a small pistol along the lines of a pp or ppk.
I have seen pictures of the gun, heavily engraves with I believe ivory grips with initials A.H. inlaid or engraved on them. the gun was show on an episode of tales of the gun where they claimed that there are traces of blood in the engraving to this day. I wouldn't mid owning that myself, considering that it is easily worth millions just due to the fact of Hitler owning it regardless of weather or not he shot himself with it.

sterling180
April 5, 2006, 11:16 AM
Micheal Ryans weapons used in the 1987 Hungerford Massacre were: 1 AK-47 (Type-56 commercial variation)
1 Beretta M92FS 9MM, 1 Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, 1 M1-Carbine .30 and some riot shotguns, Thompson SMG .45ACP and others that were kept in his safe

Thomas Hamiltons weapons used in the 1996 Dunblane massacre were: 2 Smith and Wesson 586 .357s and two Browning Hi-Power GP35s Mk3 (Practical model) Semi-automatic pistols.

I hate those two morons because they killed innocent people and got us our dumb gun-laws.:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
April 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
"Son of Sam" David Horowitz's .44 special Charter bulldog

Gun Wielding Maniac
April 5, 2006, 12:24 PM
I want Simo Haya's M28 Mosin Nagant. Maybe his 9mm Suomi submachine gun too. All in all, accounted for well over 500 Russians. Not bad for a few month's work.

Lone_Gunman
April 5, 2006, 12:26 PM
Dick Cheney's shotgun.

Nashmack
April 5, 2006, 12:34 PM
The most notorious gun I can think of is actually a type rather than a specific gun. The types I am thinking of are the Brown Bess muskets used by the Minutemen on Lexington green in Massachusetts, the same type of musket used by the British to fire upon civilians in Boston, and later the French Charleville musket used by the early Americans to dislodge the British from our soil.

That's just my .02

kjeff50cal
April 5, 2006, 04:58 PM
Nashmack wrote The most notorious gun I can think of is actually a type rather than a specific gun. The types I am thinking of are the Brown Bess muskets used by the Minutemen on Lexington green in Massachusetts, the same type of musket used by the British to fire upon civilians in Boston....

That's just my .02

And the same Brown Besses that were sold to Mexico to put down an insurection in Northeastern Mexico in a State called Texas.

jondar
April 5, 2006, 05:04 PM
How about the Colt SAA Pat Garrett used to kill William Bonney? In all the movies about this it is referred to a lot as a .45. But according to Garrett's biographer it was actually a .44-40. Prior to going out after Bonney he stopped by the jail. He had forgotten to bring his sidearm. The jailors had disarmed and locked up a drunken cowboy the night before who was wearing a gun belt with a SAA .44-40 in the holster. Garrett simply buckled it on. IIRC Pat gave the gun to a judge there in Lincoln County and it is still in private hands.

Springfield_1911SS
April 5, 2006, 07:07 PM
probably the .22 used to kill Sam Giancanna

a Chicago mob used tommy gun

a Chicago mob used 1911

the American gun that fired the first shot in the American Revolution

Rembrandt
April 5, 2006, 07:17 PM
Audie Murphy's M1 Garand.

Matthew Courtney
April 5, 2006, 10:57 PM
The dueling pistols that were used by Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton for the duel in which Hamilton was killed.

sterling180
April 6, 2006, 08:56 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C.Yeager

That guy, on March 13 1996 (Thomas Hamilton) drove into Dunblane Primary (Elementary) School armed with four handguns-2 being Browning Hi-Power 9mms;and the two were Smith and Wesson 586 .357s- and started to kill as many kids as possible. Teachers were also targeted,but after killing 17 kids and their teacher, the guy cocked one of his his 586s into single-action mode, put it into his mouth and blew his head off.

This is why we have a standard-handgun ban, not a repeating-shotgun ban, although the antis are still wanting these types of shotgun banned.

sterling180
April 6, 2006, 08:57 AM
C.Yeager

That guy, on March 13 1996 (Thomas Hamilton) drove into Dunblane Primary (Elementary) School armed with four handguns-2 being Browning Hi-Power 9mms;and the two were Smith and Wesson 586 .357s- and started to kill as many kids as possible. Teachers were also targeted,but after killing 17 kids and their teacher, the guy cocked one of his his 586s into single-action mode, put it into his mouth and blew his head off.

This is why we have a standard-handgun ban, not a repeating-shotgun ban, although the antis are still wanting these types of shotgun banned.

LandShark
April 6, 2006, 12:28 PM
Any of Theodore Roosevelt's double rifles that he took on safari.

Hokkmike
April 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
Well, I own the first competition gun of the current World Champion in Skeet for the US Army team. Also Junior World Champ a few years ago in Brasil. That's kind of special I think.

Sistema1927
May 21, 2006, 06:07 PM
I can't believe that this thread has gone three pages without anyone mentioning George Armstrong Custer's 1873. (Or any other gun used at the Little Big Horn.)

Ala Dan
May 21, 2006, 06:45 PM
Actually, James Earl Ray bought the wrong gun used in the Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. murder. He went to Aeromarine Supply in the
Eastwood Mall section of Birmingham, AL and did indeed purchase a
Remington model 760 .30-06 "Gamemaster"; the Friday before Dr.
King was killed. According to records, he returned the pump-action
rifle to Don Woods owner of Aeromarine the following Monday; in
exchange for a Remington model 700 bolt-action rifle in .30-06.
History tells us that this was the type of gun used to murder Dr.
King~!:uhoh: ;)

Roadkill
May 21, 2006, 08:42 PM
The Mauser 96 used to remove Nicholas and the Romanovs
The Sten used to kill Heydrich
Any of the SS guns used a Lidice
The musket that first opened up at Lexington
Nathan Bedford Forest's LeMat
Col Chamberlains Colt
Rommel's PP
McAuliffe's 1911A1
Eva Braun's .25 Walther
Pistol used by Hohler to shoot Horst Wessel

rk

Matt G
May 21, 2006, 09:15 PM
Mark David Chapman's Charter Arms .38 Special would be one.

MatthewVanitas
May 21, 2006, 09:46 PM
Nathruam Godse, who killed Mahatma Gandhi for having "sold out" India's Hindus by allowing Pakistan to separate upon independence from the United Kingdom:

Godse assassinated Gandhi on January 30, 1948, approaching him during a public appearance, bowing, and shooting him at close range. The gun used by Godse was a Beretta M1934 semi-automatic pistol in .380 ACP caliber, serial number 606824.

CSA 357
May 21, 2006, 09:55 PM
elmer keiths 44 magnum! skeeter skeltons 5 inch 27, what are yall thinking about?:D *csa*

Azrael256
May 21, 2006, 10:16 PM
The first one that made a difference: Charles VIII's mobile artillery.

TheotherMikeG
May 21, 2006, 10:22 PM
Has anyone mentioned Charles Whitman and his arsenal? Rem 700 (6mm?), M-1 Carbine,...don't know what else.

Snap
May 22, 2006, 12:23 AM
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone's mentioned the 6.5mm Carcano Lee Harvey Oswald is supposed to have used to assassinate JFK. Not to open that old can of worms or anything, just saying for the sake of the thread. :)

Steelharp
May 22, 2006, 12:31 AM

You mean, the one James Earl Ray used to miss Jesse Jackson? :neener:

Limeyfellow
May 22, 2006, 02:52 AM
Dan Wells' musket used to kill Major General Robert Ross in the War of 1812 was quite a biggy. Saved the American troops at Baltimore who were able to retreat and most likely the whole US.

Buffalo Bill Hickok's Colt Navy revolvers are quite famous too, due to what he did with them.

Matt G
May 22, 2006, 08:46 AM
Did I miss seeing John Wilkes Booth's derringer listed? :confused:

RangerGrant
May 22, 2006, 08:49 PM
Another notorious gun would be the Ak-47 used in the Stockton Ca. school yard shooting that caused California's assault weapons ban.

pdowg881
May 22, 2006, 09:01 PM
Anybody mention Hitler's Walther PPK he committed suicide with?

Freddymac
May 22, 2006, 09:11 PM
My father has my grandfathers 1911 that he carried in WWII. Itís a real 1911, not a 1911A1. My Grand Pa said that that 45 sent a few Nazis to the great battle field in the sky, but who knows.

4v50 Gary
May 22, 2006, 10:00 PM
Agree with Trebor on the gun that killed Archduke Ferdinand. Millions upon millions paid the price. While the death of Lincoln was tragic and resulted in a harsh reconstruction with lasting backlash against the Afro-Americans (as evidenced by the Jim Crow laws and the need for the Civil Rights movement of the '60s), it didn't result in the magnitude of death and destruction, the rise of facism and communism and the Cold War - all of which are plagues upon mankind that followed in the wake of WW I.

sterling180
May 23, 2006, 06:29 AM
The Ruger 10/22:Used by Kipland Kinkel,Julian Knight,Sylvia Seegrest and Thomas McIlvane, in their respective massacres.

The Ruger P85 pistol,carried by Colin Ferguson and George Hennard, in their massacres.

The Glock17:Carried by Kipland Kinkel,George Hennard,Robert Steinhauser and Richard Durn-in their massacres.

The Winchester pump-action shotgun:Used by Tony Martin to kill Fred Barras and to injure his accomplice, in 1999.

3jaw
May 23, 2006, 10:38 AM
Sgt. York's P-17 Enfield.
Any one of Audie Murphy's guns.

Matt G
May 24, 2006, 02:01 PM
Edmundo Mireles' .357 revolver and Platt's Mini 14, from a little engagement in Miami in 1986.

Old Time Hunter
May 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
How about any one of the Winchester 1895's use to assasinate the Romanov family in 1917 when the Bolsheviks under the guise of being proletariats and communists revolted against the Aristocracy and Bourgeois. Changed the face of the earth too!

Ala Dan
June 3, 2006, 04:00 PM
CORRECTION:

In my response to the gun used to assassinate Dr. Martin Luther King,
I inadverently had the weapons reversed. The actual weapon used to
kill Dr. King WAS a Remington model 760 (Gamemaster) pump-action
.30-06; not a Remington model 700 bolt action .30-06, as I had
originally stated. On the Friday before the fatal shot was fired, James
Earl Ray did purchase a Remington model 700 in .30-06 from
Aeromarine Supply, Inc. in Birmingham, AL. But, during the following
weekend, some (unknown) character advised him that the model 760
pump gun would be better suited for the job at hand. Thus, the
following Monday James Earl Ray returns to Aeromarine to swap
his newly acquired Remington model 700, for a NIB Remington model
760. I apologize for the incorrectness of my previous post, as I now
stand corrrected.

Detritus
June 3, 2006, 08:21 PM
Sgt. York's P-17 Enfield.

Um, Alvin York used a 1903... he always maintained that the rifle used in the action for which he received the MOH was a 1903 that he'd traded his issued 1917 for. he was more comfortable with the sights of the '03 (after years of shooting over non-aperture iron sights, he was more accurate with them as well).

me i want his 1911 :D

p35
June 3, 2006, 08:54 PM
In Eyewitness To History, a collection of first hand accounts of historical events- great book if you're into history- they have a description of the murder of the Romanoffs by one of the participants. He describes using Nagant revolvers.

I'm surprised by how many people are interested in guns that were used to commit some ugly crime. Bad karma IMHO. I'd much rather have, say, one of the Thompsons carried by the Rangers at Pointe-du-Hoc on D-day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns of historical notoriety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!