Any truth to this?

PDA

answerguy
March 29, 2003, 12:59 PM
Can a gun dealer refuse to sell a gun to anyone based on apperances, some kind of special protection that only gun dealers have?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any truth to this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coronach
March 29, 2003, 01:01 PM
Uhm...

Any business can refuse to sell any item to any one, at any time, for any reason.

Mike

gudel
March 29, 2003, 01:02 PM
what kind of appearance are you talking about? ugly people?

QuarterBoreGunner
March 29, 2003, 01:12 PM
Absolutely;when I was in the biz we had prominent signs stating that we could refuse serve to anyone on any grounds.

And I denied sales to people based on un-scientific methods and my own experience. Like the guy who said, he was depressed and he hoped someone would feed his cat and oh by the way can I see that .44?

Hah. No gun for you.

But based on looks alone? Nope.

A mixture of looks and attitude? Yes.

If it looks like a straw deal; yer outta here.

As a firearms dealer it’s easier to deny a sale then have to explain to a reporter after an incident.

answerguy
March 29, 2003, 01:29 PM
A gun dealer in Michigan is refusing to sell guns to muslims. Do you agree that is within his rights?

keyhole
March 29, 2003, 01:39 PM
His store, his rules.

cuchulainn
March 29, 2003, 01:42 PM
A gun dealer in Michigan is refusing to sell guns to muslims. Do you agree that is within his rights?

Within his rights? Yes. (edited to add: "rights" doesn't necessarily mean "legal" or "not actionable.")

But how does he know they are Muslim? If they can recite the Nicene Creed do they get to buy?

Coronach
March 29, 2003, 01:44 PM
hehehhehehehhe. Ah, the old question. Can one, as a matter of policy deny business in a blanket manner to members of an ethnic group?

On the one hand, as a private businessman, I can deny service to anyone I want.

On the other hand, if every business in town refuses service to, say, arabs (or whites, or blacks, or hispanics), that certainly does create a situation that can only be described as racist and oppressive.

Care to revist the entire civil rights movement?

In answer to your question, I don't think that there is a particular "protection" extended to the gun industry in this regard.

Mike

blades67
March 29, 2003, 06:07 PM
Any truth to this?

Yup.

answerguy
March 29, 2003, 08:00 PM
A Northern Michigan gun dealer is stirring up controversy by refusing to sell guns or ammunition to Muslims. Former Michigan Militia leader, Norman Olson has owned the Alanson Armory Gun Shop for the last ten years. Now, he says it's within his rights to refuse to sell firearms to anyone he says posses a risk to others. Olson says he fears American-Muslims might buy guns that could be used for terrorist acts and are a near and present danger.

http://www.tv7-4.com/Global/story.asp?S=1199367&nav=1vrjEpnn

boing
March 29, 2003, 10:48 PM
I wonder if Mr. Olson remembered to renew his AGS membership. :rolleyes:

Mr. Purple
March 30, 2003, 10:05 AM
Hi, hate to start contraversy on my first post but, discrimination based on race, religion, or other protected status alone is actionable under the discrimination statutes.

Resturants and hotels found this out by failing to serve or acommidate blacks during the sixties.

The rational for making the statutes actionable for this type of behavior is that it adversly affects interstate commerce.

justice4all
March 30, 2003, 10:08 AM
Mr. Purple is correct.

FPrice
March 30, 2003, 10:24 AM
I agree that refusing to sell a gun to someone due to ethnic characteristics is wrong and against the law.

But suppose there are other concerns? Suppose two people come into your store, one in ordinary clothing and one in "gang colors"? Suppose they start talking quietly between themselves and the one in colors points to a certain gun, and the other then asks to buy it? Do you assume that the one in colors is a gun expert and is advising the other person on what gun they should buy for themselves? Or are you witnessing the beginning of a strawman purchase?

One of the reasons i ask is because a few months ago a group came into my local dealers store and began discussing the guns on display in a language other than English. They pointed out certain guns on the wall. They left and later that night broke in and stold those particular guns.

Refusing service based upon some concerns, valid or otherwise is a ticklish situation at best. Should you swallow your concern, bow to the pressure, and possibly have your name connected with a headline sometime later, "Local Gun Dealer Makes Strawman Sale to Gang member"?

How and where do you draw the line?

beckrodgers
March 30, 2003, 10:30 AM
Maybe I am getting old I find that practice so so so wrong or out of What? I lost it . United States of America. I dont fear folks w/firearms.

Diesle
March 30, 2003, 11:20 AM
Yes

Diesle

If you enjoyed reading about "Any truth to this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!