Pre-18 S&W 1952

PDA

BBBS
October 8, 2005, 05:17 PM
Hi, Can anyone tell me if these are the right grips on this gun? And what do you mean that the grips are numbered to the gun? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Pre-18 S&W 1952" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
October 8, 2005, 05:25 PM
Remove the grips and check the inside surface. If those are the grips that came with the gun, the gun's serial number will be stamped on one of the grips.

HSMITH
October 8, 2005, 06:38 PM
If that gun is from 1952 the number will probably be written in pencil......

Shear_stress
October 8, 2005, 06:43 PM
You may be right about some guns. On my 1953-vintage K22 Combat Masterpiece (serial # K197xxx), the serial number is stamped faintly on the inside of the righthand grip.

BBBS
October 8, 2005, 09:13 PM
Serial #1867XX I'll look to see it they are marked. Thanks

Turangi
October 8, 2005, 11:42 PM
BBBS, The grips on your Model 18 are target grips and will not be stamped with the serial number. Normally only service or Magna grips are numbered because they were sanded mounted to the gun frame before finishing to match the contour of the frame. Target grips cover most of the frame so do not require sanding to the frame. The grips may well be the proper grips and certainly appear to be of the same era. Just as a note, the pencil marking of the grips is a pre-war method, post-war grips were normally stamped. Hope this helps. John.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pre-18 S&W 1952" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!