CO: Letter countering Tom Mauser Published

PDA

CaesarI
October 8, 2005, 07:35 PM
W00t! The Denver Post decided to publish my letter calling out the president of Colorado Ceasefire as a blind issue monger.

Tom Mauser's Oct. 5th 2005 letter:
Jim Spencer is onto something when he says kids' easy acces to guns is an issue in the case of Eric Stoneman, the 14-year old Glenwood Springs boy charged with shooting a friend.
Recently, Silvia Johnson, the Arvada woman who wants to be a "cool mom," was arrested for allowing a 14-year-old girl to drive her car. Few people would question Johnson's culpability and lack of responsibility. But in the case of Stoneman, is there a double standard? Stoneman used his mom's .22 caliber handgun to shoot a 9-year old companion. There's no doubt that he is responsible for what happened that fateful day. But to what extent do we consider whether his mom contributed to that tragedy by not adequately denying him access to her handgun? Authorities should thoroughly investigate how he got hold of that gun and whether his mother was negligent.
The problem is that Colorado lacks an adequate law on adult responsibility for securing guns from children. Gov. Bill Ownes sponsored such a "safe storage" law when he was in the legislature. I urge him to demonstrate his leadership by promoting such legislation again.

My response, as published in the October 8th 2005 paper:

I find it telling that letter-writer Tom Mauser proposes we pass new laws restricting firearms before authorities "thoroughly investigate" how 14-year old Eric Stoneman acquired his mother's pistol. I, too, used to support gun control--until I thoroughly investigated the matter. I suppose Mauser spends too much time proposing legislation anytime someone dies to bother with investigating.

-Morgan

If you enjoyed reading about "CO: Letter countering Tom Mauser Published" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
October 8, 2005, 10:04 PM
Your published response sounds as though some self-appointed genius edited out about two thirds of the response you sent.

I believe Mauser is the father of one of the kids killed at Columbine High School several years ago. He's been agitating for leftist extremist so-called "gun control" all over everywhere since then.

Kim
October 8, 2005, 10:15 PM
He is the guy who wears his dead kids shoes and sits outside the NRA building in VA and has been arrested there many times for tresspassing. He is like Cindy Sheehan---------his mind is gone.

CaesarI
October 9, 2005, 12:00 AM
Your published response sounds as though some self-appointed genius edited out about two thirds of the response you sent.

Usually I tend to be a bit more verbose, but since I wanted to actually get published this time, I made it as short as possible, while still getting the main point across. It appears that strategy works. They actually *added* a little content.

-Morgan

If you enjoyed reading about "CO: Letter countering Tom Mauser Published" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!