Range report from Beijing

PDA

pmcbooks
October 9, 2005, 01:47 PM
There's an interesting thread on a range trip outside Beijing going on in the SomethingAwful Forums here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1688820)

You cannot handle the ammunition for some stupid reason, nor load your own clips. There will be 2 attendants with you at all times, one to load the ammuntion and operate the bolt and one observer who just stands there and has a pistol on his belt. If you don't know how to shoot, the "operator" will give a brief 30 second explanation on how to fire and hold the gun wrong.

It degenerates into a discussion of chinese food pretty quickly and has an obligatory picture of a chinese Wal[star]Mart sign.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report from Beijing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kage genin
October 9, 2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the link to the post, pmc. I've been living in Beijing now for close to a year and have been looking into rumors of a shooting range where one could fire an RPG. Looks like I've found it :)

I've been to one "olympic sports park" in Beijing where they had a small firing range. It sucked. Sounds like the situation at all public ranges is pretty much the same. Highly supervised, you can't touch the bullets, you can't even chamber the gun or touch anything but the trigger :what: Didn't recognize the handgun I paid to shoot or what caliber of ammunition it was. It was extremely small caliber ammo, barely larger than .22 but shorter overall cartridge length. Hardly made a pop when fired either.

A big surprise was their outdoor shotgun range. Trap shooting with an over/under 12-ga Beretta shotgun! But ...eh... not worth going again :rolleyes:

...for an RPG tho... :evil:

atek3
October 10, 2005, 01:58 AM
wow, china is wack, but it's certainly less wack now than 20 years ago.

atek3

chris in va
October 10, 2005, 02:41 AM
They're too afraid the People will rise up and overthrow their sick government.

50 Freak
October 10, 2005, 05:34 AM
Go to Cambodia, a grenade is $20 and a RPG is $100.

You can shoot full auto M-60 and M-16's left over from the Vietnam War when we "never went into Cambodia".

This is all at the "pricey" touristy range run by the Army.

If you don't want to spend all that money, you can buy stuff cheap on the blackmarket. Heard grenades were going for $2 to $3 bucks if you know the right people. :eek:

Don't ask me how I know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/WeaponsWall.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/M60.jpg

AechKay
October 10, 2005, 05:46 AM
wow, china is wack, but it's certainly less wack now than 20 years ago.

+1.

Hrmm, for an RPG...I'd do a lot. I wonder if they'll let me fire a law if I choose the option to go to basic next summer. That might be interesting.

Mumbles_45
October 10, 2005, 12:31 PM
wouldn't be a LAW in basic, it'd be an AT-4. Actually, unless your the one lucky guy to fire the live round it would be a 9mm tracer fired from a modified AT-4 tube. Of course this is Army Basic, dont know how its done in the other branches.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report from Beijing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!