Working on a political campaign

PDA

Jeeper
October 9, 2005, 10:56 PM
Who here has worked on a political campaign in a significant position (more than just cold calling or handing out stickers)? I am curious what you got out of it and if you would do it again. I am mainly curious how many people here really get involved in politics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Working on a political campaign" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Monkeyleg
October 10, 2005, 12:24 AM
Jeeper, you can get out of it what you want, which is to say that you'll get out of it what you want to put into it.

What are you trying to accomplish? If you're just trying to elect the candidate, just showing up is fine. If you want to have the ear of the legislator whom you helped elect, you'll want to be doing a lot and be around often.

Working a campaign gives you access to the candidate you helped. It also gives you a varying degree of access to other legislators who were made aware of your efforts.

If you really bust your butt, you could wind up being an aide to a legislator, which then really gives you access to the inside track. (Of course, you won't make any money for years).

In the end, though, working on a campaign wasn't supposed to be some crooked endeavor, but rather the duty of every citizen who wants his voice heard.

When you hear of voters being "disenfranchised," ask yourself what that means, because I don't know what it means. Other than there's a whole lot of people who just want to wander into a school gymnasium once a year (or two years) and take five minutes to make a mark on a ballot. And then scream fraud if their candidate doesn't win.

Victory= volunteer time + donations.

MikeIsaj
October 10, 2005, 12:24 AM
Last year I worked on my local congressmans campaign. He is a long time friend who was drafted to run when the incumbant pulled out. We ran a ten month campaign in nine weeks. I worked in a problem solving role, which means I did all the stuff that popped up at the last minute. Two days before the election, I was up at the courthouse getting 76 watchers certificates issued that had been neglected.

I work on political campaigns for people I believe in. I do not buy into the onsense that all politicians are in it for themselves or are corrupt. I suspect people say that as an excuse to not get involved. There are some bums but they make it more important to get the good guys elected.

What do I get out of it? The satisfaction of good representation. The knowledge that I did something important. An insiders knowledge of just how the electoral process works. I also have the ear of my congressman. You also get on some pretty neat christmas card and calander mailing lists.

Rembrandt
October 11, 2005, 08:38 AM
Have worked in a number of political campaigns, mostly Presidential candidates. Got started with Texas Sen Phil Gramm when he ran for Pres and was somewhat bitten by the political bug. Have also worked as a local chairman for GWB in his first and second run.

Basic duties were lineing up other volunteers and making arrangements for events (transportation, food, security, mailings, media interviews, etc). Have met some amazing people.

It was hard work and long hours, no pay...all volunteer time. The rewards were the satisfaction of seeing the candidate win. Had the opportunity to see how things work and the planning strategey behind each move.

It forced me to do things I would never have done in a hundred years...like introducing dignitaries, celebrities, and GWB in front of over 600 press credentialed sharks and live TV....but I survived and would do it again

kwelz
October 11, 2005, 11:37 AM
I work on just about every political campaign in my area. Of course I am on the YR and GOP central committees in my county as well so I don't have much choice.

I have learned a lot through doing it. Sadly I don't think a lot of people here on THR would like the lessons because mainly I have learned that idealism doesn't work in politics.

I have also gotten to meet a lot of interesting people ranging from local state senators all the way up to the Vice President. Sadly I haven't got to meet the Boss man yet. But I hope to before the end of his administration.

I have learned a lot, met all these interesting people and found a new path that I want to take my life down. I would definitely do it again.

TheEgg
October 11, 2005, 12:22 PM
When I used to work on campaigns for politicians, mostly what I found out was that you were cheap (free) labor, that the candidate said nice things about you, promises are made to be broken, and that your point of view was completely and totally ignored.

I don't work for politicians any more.

Monkeyleg
October 11, 2005, 07:31 PM
TheEgg, that does happen. Maybe you need to screen your candidates more carefully.

TheEgg
October 12, 2005, 12:46 PM
TheEgg, that does happen. Maybe you need to screen your candidates more carefully.

What, you don't think Dukakis was a good choice? :uhoh:

:)

lostone1413
October 12, 2005, 12:49 PM
Use to work on allot of them. Funny thing is they all know you while you are working for them. Then after the final vote is counted it is who the H**L our you. I don't work for them anymore

MikeIsaj
October 12, 2005, 11:13 PM
Then after the final vote is counted it is who the H**L our you. I gotta stand up for my congressman. I was invited down for his swearing in. He had a big reception in D.C. I had emergency surgery the day before. That evening I got a phone call from him, and a visit at the hospital two days later. But then again, we knew each other before the campaign.

If you enjoyed reading about "Working on a political campaign" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!