Single Six for Silhouettes?

PDA

MatthewVanitas
October 10, 2005, 12:42 AM
I recently attended my first silhouette match, and had a blast. I brought my Contender along, only to find out that it was the year's only "No Contenders Allowed" match. Fortunately I had my MkII along as well, so shot that instead.

The gentlemen next to me had a stainless Single Six, and did quite well with it. But the other competitors seemed surprised that someone would compete with a Single Six, but they were unable to explain why they thought it was a bad idea.

Is the Single Six not a good piece for open-sight Smallbore Silhouette? Does it lack accuracy compared to the Buckmark or MkII? You only need five shots per string, and you have plenty of time, so I don't quite see the disadvantage.

Anyone out there shoot Single Six in matches?

Any reccommendation as to what barrel length to go for if I stay involved in Silhouette? I already have a Contender, so if I get a Single Six it will be my open-sight gun. Thanks for any info from the sixgun side of the house.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Six for Silhouettes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
October 10, 2005, 09:25 AM
Years ago revolvers were common at Metallic Silhouette shoots. The Super Single Six will work, and if allowed you have the option of using a .22 Magnum cylinder. Long barrels are preferred, and if you are shooting from a supported position the 10-inch length (if you can find one) is probably best. Otherwise go for the 6 1/2" length. They also make a "hunter" version with a ribbed barrel that can take scope rings. You may not use a scope at matches, but one is handy for deciding what brand of ammunition is best. The rib also adds weight to the barrel, which is usually helpful.

I would also consider the Ruger line of .22 pistols with long/heavy barrels. In .22 LR they are usually more accurate than a revolver (with a possible exception being a Dan Wesson) but you donít have a Magnum option with the pistol.

YodaVader
October 10, 2005, 12:24 PM
If I were to use a Single Six I would probably go with a the 9.5" version. You have the longer sight radius and higher velocity.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/celestron4/149H.jpg
The new 9.5" versions are only in blue.

BlkHawk73
October 11, 2005, 05:55 PM
i'd also go with the 9 1/2" bbl model. preferrably, I'd try to find one in .32 H&R magnum if it's allowed in your matches. While I do like these Single Sixes (have a 5 1/2" one) I'd perhaps look for something else for serious shooting as they were manufactured to shoot both the .22 lr and the .22 WRM rounds, the bbl is bored for the larger round. This isn't huge difference, but enough to take away some accuracy in the .22 lr especially at precise shooting events.

Clemson
October 12, 2005, 11:34 AM
The knock on single-action revolvers for silhouette is that they are slow to load. Yes, you can do it within the time constraints, but generally all the other competitors are ready to go before the single-action shooter is. This can actually lead to strained nerves and muttered epithets.

Clemson

41 Redhawk
October 12, 2005, 01:35 PM
I never had any trouble loading my Blackhawk and being ready to fire when the 30 second prep time was over. I usually fired my first shot right after the fire command was given.

The thing with revolvers is that they tend not to be as accurate as Contenders or autoloaders. That is a disadvantage if you compete in the same class. IHMSA Big Bore silhouette had seperate classes for revolver and single shots.

mec
October 16, 2005, 11:04 AM
I used to shoot local NRA short course matches with the 9.5" Single Six. It was probably illegal under NRA barrel length rules but nobody cared because they knew I wa at a disadvantage to the semi-autos. Actually, I was not. The timed and rapid fire cadence was set up when revolvers were in general use and were not a problem with the SS. Neither was accuracy a problem. I won a lot of matches and was shooting high-expert/low master by the time I got tired of it.

Also used this gun in some early silhouette matches including a sanction NRA hunter pistol in the Dallas area. My score was in the mid-high 20s and I beat the president of the texas association. I either took the first or second place ribbon- Don't remember.

I had an early stainless 9.5 that shot everybit as good as the one I did all the match shooting with. Both would group most long rifles and a good many of the magnum loads very well.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30005&stc=1&d=1129474930

I have never done any where near as well with any of the shorter single sixes except for a 6.5" bisley that shoots long rifles only

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Six for Silhouettes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!