500 S&W Load Differences

PDA

tc300mag1
October 10, 2005, 01:08 PM
Heres one for ya like a Good hand loader i go my Lyman Book and The data sheet from lee that came with the dies

I almost always use the Data in the Lyman to start Using the 350 Grain xtp Hornady powder listing is Starting 38.8 Max 40.0 So i start 38.9 load 10 then move up to 39.5 and run out of brass

Go shoot today and Excellent Groups with one small problem Cases wont extract.. :cuss: Get looking at the Shells and Have Blow by cartridges are black where its not sealing to Chamber..

Come home read little more Run over to Hodgdon website (duh should have stopped there first i guess) And wow look at the Difference in load data

500 S&W 350 Grain XTP Hornady
H-110 Start 39.0
Max 43.0

Why the Real big difference between the 2 even the lee sheet follows the Hodgdon website they Very same loads to the #

Both Companys used a 10 inch barrel Same cases Main difference was Lyman used CCI and Hogdgon used Winchester Primers

Ive Complained Before i though some loads 44mag Espically were light in the lyman Manual and this is the Handgun Edition 3 im uses

Any Thoughts? Guess its back to the bench for a Work up session again If the Cases would extract i wouldnt bother was a good shooting load though 38.8-39.5 but if you cant punch them out whats the point of it being Accurate

Thx

P.s

Also had some sizing issues last night had to use sizing lube to size the cases they were that tight wiped off all sizing lube.

Tonight after tumbling the rounds i shot today they sized no problems with no lube.

So whats your take on that

If you enjoyed reading about "500 S&W Load Differences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Werewolf
October 11, 2005, 04:56 PM
Well - FWIW...

I have the Lyman manual, a Hodgdon and an Accurate manual. Of the three the Lyman is always the lowest.

In none of the manuals do the max loads come closer than about 80% of SAAMI spec max pressure for the cartridges I reload with the exception of .45LC in which the max load is usually very close to SAAMI max.

I'm just guessing but it's probably a matter of product liability and Lyman chooses to err on the safe side more so than others though they err on the safe side too.

dmftoy1
October 12, 2005, 06:43 PM
Did they both specify brass that used the same "type" of primers? I've seen differences like that in data where one was using the early hornady brass that used "Magnum" Pistol primers, and the other load data was using the Starline brass that used the "Large Rifle" primers.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

tc300mag1
October 12, 2005, 07:04 PM
Yes both were using Rifle primers was hopeing to get out an try again today but didnt work out that way

rborensr
October 12, 2005, 07:36 PM
I don't know where you got your starting and max loads, but I checked my QuickLoad program and you should be starting at aroung 50.5 gr min to a 55. gr max with H110. I would do some more checking, I used a conservative SAAMI pressure.

tc300mag1
October 12, 2005, 08:12 PM
One Starting load was From lyman pistol manual other from lee's paper work came with dies and Hogdgon website only real published data i could find

tc300mag1
October 16, 2005, 11:50 PM
Ok while Cleaning the 500 tonight had to put it off since i had a tooth cut out and put me down most the week.

So tonight im cleaning it and i notice the grit which there was plenty off looks like small brass pieces,

This is new starline brass never fired then sized in new lee carbide dies then loaded. Tonight i noticed a lot of brass on press also cases look normal just hard to size

Could what happen be excess brass when i sized them ? Never had any of these problems with the 454 44 41 or 45 colt

So what do ya think ?

If you enjoyed reading about "500 S&W Load Differences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!