Ammo Question

PDA

HKcenterMass
March 29, 2003, 06:18 PM
Hey All, I have a simple question, what is the difference between a .45cal in 180grain, 200grain and 230 grain? and, what is +p, +p+ and 45 super?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
March 29, 2003, 06:29 PM
The difference between 180, 200 and 230 grain bullets is weight for the most part. +P and +P+ refers to pressures higher than SAAMI standards, and .45 Super is a newer high pressure .45 ACP type round.

Greybeard
March 29, 2003, 06:57 PM
IIRC, 440 grains = 1 ounce. Typical 230 grain .45 FMJ twice as heavy as 115 grain 9mm. Due to more weight and typical lower pressure, 45s generally a few hundred fps slower.

coonan357
March 29, 2003, 09:24 PM
and a .45 super is an animal all by itself do not try to fire this out of a standard .45acp gun. its a special barrel made to handle the much higher presures that will open up a standard like a banana .

cratz2
March 29, 2003, 10:02 PM
230 Gr is considered the standard weight for the 45 ACP. Most FMJ ammo for 45 ACP is in 230 Gr.

The 200 Gr and 185 Gr are the two other standard weights mostly for getting more velocity out of shorter barrels and a while back, the higher the velocity hollow point bullets expanded more reliably. These days, with the 45ACP and good bullets such as Gold Dots, Golden Sabers and Rangers, all the weights expand fairly reliably.

And some will say different guns shoot different bullet weights more accurately. I haven't found this much with my own guns but some have reported tiny little 2" groups at 25 yards with one weight while another weight only turns in 10" groups at the same distance. I don't buy into this reasoning at these distances. All of my 1911s shoot about the same with all different weights.

Personally, my preference for self defense is 230 Gr +P Rangers from Winchester, 200 Gr +P Gold Dots from Speer, 230 Gr +P Gold Dots from Georgia Arma and 230 Gr Golden Sabers from Remington in that order but I certainly feel confident with any of them. Many law enforcement agencies use the HydraShoks but many testers have found them to expand very unrelliably but they almost always penetrate adequately which is generally more important for law enforcement than for citizens. In my opinion anyway.

coonan357
March 29, 2003, 10:20 PM
all I care about is they group in COM on the bad guy , but then again when I am trying bullseye ..

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!