So his daughter's date shows up...

PDA

Oleg Volk
October 10, 2005, 04:55 PM
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29796&stc=1
This guy is awaiting the birth of his daughter. He is already practicing making an impression on the would-be boyfriends (not sure if he'd treat would-be girlfriends the same)...

If you enjoyed reading about "So his daughter's date shows up..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hobie
October 10, 2005, 04:58 PM
Oleg,

It should be, "What does "NO" mean to you?"

Oleg Volk
October 10, 2005, 05:05 PM
Fixed. Thanks!

Charles S
October 10, 2005, 05:06 PM
LOL,

I reasemble that remark. I dread the day my 7 year old daughter starts to date. At least I have a few years to get ready.

Charles

Luchtaine
October 10, 2005, 05:19 PM
I hope that my girlfriends dad is that well armed. I wouldn't be intimidated in the least assumeing she has no brother I would be thinking inheritance :D

english kanigit
October 10, 2005, 05:39 PM
It's too bad things didn't work out with my ex-girlfriend.

Her dad was almost as big of a gunnie as I am. :rolleyes:
One night I was over watching a movie with the whole family and we start talking about guns and such. Well, papa disappears for a few minutes and when he comes back, he's got a towel bundled up in his arms. So he sits down on the floor and starts laying out some pistols... it was a fun evening.
First thing he pulls out of the towel was a 1911, springfield I believe.
"Hey! I've got one o' them!" :D

Twas a fun evening.

waterhouse
October 10, 2005, 05:40 PM
I once got invited by my then girlfriend to join her family for Christmas. I had heard jokes about this sort of thing, but when I got there her dad was actually cleaning his shotgun, trying his best to look scary.

I think he was a little suprised when I just sat down and started talking guns. Then he remarked about how hard it was to clean the action of his 870, since "there was a lot of stuff in the way and gunk gets back there" so I showed him how to take the bolt assembly out and clean it and put it back in.

He and I got along really well after that.

P95Carry
October 10, 2005, 05:53 PM
Your usual pictorial excellence Oleg but I am a tad concerned about presenting this to public view - anti's of course.

I know we jest about ''daughter protection'' etc but there is lurking in this (IMO) an implicit threat that sorta says - ''touch a hair on my daughter's head and you are dead meat!!

I guess I am ever more and more aware of how we present ourselves and I am not so happy at seeing a perceived threat. Sure, if we are armed against criminals that's fine but here, for me - not the best message when, as we may hope, first dates are non-criminal :D

Test1968
October 10, 2005, 05:55 PM
Remember, you have to have the right intonations and body language.

Rule One

If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two

You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three

I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear theirs trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: you may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four

I'm sure that you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five

In order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."

Rule Six

I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven

As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh, and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight

The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or pastors within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies, which feature chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine

Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless commander of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.

Rule Ten

Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy outside of Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car-there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.

:D

KriegHund
October 10, 2005, 05:59 PM
LOL I like it!

And especially that last gun.

ny32182
October 10, 2005, 06:03 PM
I don't like the poster, really... I'd be less blunt, but it isn't just something about the wording that I think could be improved, etc... I don't like the message in general.

First of all, intimidation with a firearm when no threat is present is a crime, I believe. Second, imo, it is sending the wrong message to the kid. It says to junior (a daughter in this case), "whatever you do, your parents will bail you out of trouble". Teaching your kid from a very young age the proper values, behavior, and self respect will do worlds more for them than trying to scare their peers with a weapon.

My current girlfriend has told me that her father tried the shotgun thing when she went out on her first date a number of years ago. If he, or anyone ever tried it with me, I don't know whether I'd laugh or cry.... am I justified in grabbing my CCW if I really feel threatened? Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes: (I get along with him fine, btw, at least during the couple times that I have met him).

Monkeyleg
October 10, 2005, 06:14 PM
Test1968, I'm glad I didn't meet any dads like you when I was a teen!

:D :D :D

M-Rex
October 10, 2005, 06:19 PM
First of all, intimidation with a firearm when no threat is present is a crime, I believe.

No it is not, because the definition of 'intimidation' is squarely on the shoulders of the would-be victim - specially on private property. To be specific, I don't consider the young man in the poster to be intimidating. In fact, many times, when I arrive at one of my personal friends' homes, the living room looks exactly as is pictured in the poster. ;)

Great poster, Mr. Volk.

Oleg Volk
October 10, 2005, 06:32 PM
This isn't meant as a poster, only as a joke on my friend (pictured). I won't put this on my web site.

pax
October 10, 2005, 06:38 PM
It is funny, but Chris has a point. Glad to hear it's going no further!

Oleg, you could put it on your website with just the lower phrase. "What part of NO didn't you understand?" makes a pretty good rallying cry.

pax

Hardtarget
October 10, 2005, 07:29 PM
I had a friend(Mr. Murphy) that used a similar system. He always made it a point to meet his daughter's date/new boyfriend in his den...where all his shooting tropheys were on display. :D Told me he loved the look on their faces! Thats a good photo. I'd like to see some of the reactions!
Mark.

blume357@bellsouth.net
October 10, 2005, 07:36 PM
I have a good friend who is a retired USMC Master Sgt. He has 5 daughters.. He says all he ever told a guy taking out one of his daughters out on a date was that anything the guy did to his daughter he would do to him.... he would get some strange looks while the dude thought about it and then he would repeat it and tell them he REALLY ment it.

Blume

junyo
October 10, 2005, 08:16 PM
I know we jest about ''daughter protection'' etc but there is lurking in this (IMO) an implicit threat that sorta says - ''touch a hair on my daughter's head and you are dead meat!!Yeah, the threat needs to be explicit.

When I have kids, and if they're girls, I plan to start a program of systematic intimidation and terror against all males (and tough looking females) in a 50 mile radius. I don't want anyone coming to the house without understanding that if my daughter cries, so will they.

I'm absolutely sexist about it too, my boys will have to figure it out as they go.

bigun15
October 10, 2005, 08:24 PM
The only reason I don't like the poster is because I'd be the date. Teenage guy right here.

bjbarron
October 10, 2005, 08:27 PM
I hated it when my daughter would have wimps and sensitive types pick her up for dates. They were all so needy. I never trusted them...and they were always the ones who hurt her.

When she dated guys who liked my guns and knives, and had some of their own...those I trusted. They KNEW in their bones what would happen if they messed with my Manny (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bjbarron/blogfiles/amanda.jpg)...altho she was wicked with a Louisville Slugger.

Azrael256
October 10, 2005, 09:01 PM
Ok, picture this: I walk in to meet Dad. I arrived about thirty minutes early, as I always do for a first date, simply assuming that her father is going to want to chat with me. I know I will, and it's definitely a negative mark if her dad doesn't want to have "the talk" with me.

So, Dad is sitting at the kitchen table cleaning his guns. I see a FAL of some type, not too tactical, but pretty neat. I notice a sequential pair of Model 19s sitting side by side. There's a K-frame, I think, .38 in stainless, and a Marlin .30-30. In Dad's hands is an 870 and a cleaning rag, and he's rubbing down the barrel with some CLP. He is just about to open his mouth to start the "I got no problem goin' back to prison" speech when I spot the Mossberg Model 500.

Now lemme tell you, folks, I've got a 500, but it's the Ducks Unlimited version. I'm not saying that it's not a fine shotgun, but it's not the uber-tactical black one with all the doo-dads. This one was. I REALLY want that shotgun.

"WOW! That's the groovy tactical 500!!! Oh wow! (picking up the shotgun and clearing it) Man, this is cool! You've got the 8-round magazine, and the parkerized finish, and.. WOW! That's the speedfeed stock! Oh, cool! You've even got the fancy ghost ring sights! Hey, did you get that cool bandolier sling for it?!? I REALLY want one of those! Hey, can we go to the range sometime? I'd love to shoot this thing!"

You ever watch a fish in a bowl? You know how they just sort of open and close their mouths all the time? That's about what Dad did. He was completely speechless for nearly a minute. When he finally regained his composure, he managed to say "Uh... ok... sure..." After another thirty seconds of staring at me, he says "Sit down, young man. You want a cup of coffee?" Conversation ensues. The girl comes downstairs for the date. She has to sit and listen to another ten minutes of us boys chatting about guns before it finally dawns on him that I'm here to take his daughter out. He says, "I think she's waitin' for you, son. You two have fun, and be real careful."
"Yes sir, no problem. We'll be back at ten."

Her mom was never really happy with me, and she thought I was a little bit too much like her dad (funny, that), but I sure did have a good time hanging out with her dad and brothers at the range. *sigh* Miss that girl... Miss that shotgun more.

Edited to add: What kind of thigh holster is that? I'm in the market for one.

M-Rex
October 10, 2005, 09:11 PM
If you grabbed the man's shotgun, in front of him, without asking, I'd say you are very lucky you weren't thrown out the front window.

Hawken50
October 10, 2005, 09:40 PM
picking up a girl (now my wife) for our first date. mom invites me in, offers me a drink, makes small talk, etc. Dad walks in, looks me up and down with a hint of disgust, and throws a bullet at me and says "if you hurt my daughter, the next one will come at you alot faster.

i plan on using that one when my daughter brings boys home :evil:

bogie
October 10, 2005, 09:43 PM
Oleg, got three words for you...

You Need Curtains.

Sheesh... Artists and Designers...

odysseus
October 10, 2005, 10:14 PM
Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car-there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine

LOL :D That was a good laugh... good stuff. I am saving it for if the day ever comes...

odysseus
October 10, 2005, 10:21 PM
Dad walks in, looks me up and down with a hint of disgust, and throws a bullet at me and says "if you hurt my daughter, the next one will come at you alot faster.

I remember one very attractive girl I dated in High school. We were going out for the afternoon and her father was at home with a bunch of his friends. Yeaaa.. great. Long story short I had to prove I could do a standing kick into the air and smack the hell out a hanging milk jug they were messing with.

One another evening he had his nine at his side hammer back when I was dropping her off... but that's another story! :eek:

newfalguy101
October 10, 2005, 10:44 PM
I know we jest about ''daughter protection'' etc but there is lurking in this (IMO) an implicit threat that sorta says - ''touch a hair on my daughter's head and you are dead meat!!

You say that as if its a bad thing :confused: :confused:

A mans daughter is a special person who SHALL not be hurt!!!!!!!!!!!

I dread the day my daughter ( 11 now )starts dating, course on the kool side I can scare the living daylights out of the dumb ones and show HER that they are losers.

artherd
October 10, 2005, 10:54 PM
A girl once told me "My daddy is a cop, he has a gun!" I simply said "Cool, I have a bigger one, tell him we should go shooting sometime!"

mustanger98
October 10, 2005, 11:37 PM
As brother of a girl, I tried this tactic or something a whole lot like it. Ya'll talk about scaring the daylights out of the dumb ones... the ones my sister dated must be really really dumb 'cause they never got the hint. One of my sister's friends said you have to put it in plain talk or they won't get it. You can show 'em you're armed, but that don't tell 'em you'll use whatever you showed. One of the ones I tried it on was a dumb-ass with a sword and I've told about him in other threads.

Oh, and this is just me, but I think I might apply "WHAT PART OF 'NO' DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?" But, it reads fine as is.

Byron Quick
October 10, 2005, 11:56 PM
Had a father tell me once to not make him have to go get his gun. I just told him that mine was a lot closer than his :) Then he wanted to see it and show me his collection. 45 minutes later, my date and I left. She was angry at me.

Ever noticed that many women kinda lose interest if their parents like you?

Skofnung
October 11, 2005, 12:22 AM
I only had 2 fellas try the "scare" tactic with me back in my dating days.

The first guy was sitting on the couch cleaning a bolt action rifle, a Remington 700 if memory serves. I introduced myself, and before he could say anything smart, I asked him what caliber it was... .270 hmm? What range do you have it zeroed at? Take any game lately?

We ended up being pretty good buddies after that.

The other fellow was an old drunk. His daughter was not a love intrest of mine, just a good friend, but to him it didn't matter. I showed up at his house one night to pick up his daughter to go to a football game (we were band nerds) and he invited me in to sit at the table with him.

Sitting on the table was an unholstered S&W revolver with Faux stag grips.

Father in a threatning tone: "You know what that is boy?"

Me (age 18): "From here it looks like a S&W model 66. Nice gun."

Father: "Wrong. It's a .357 on a .38 frame, and it'll be the end of you if you touch my daughter."

Me (biting my tounge, both on the threat and the gun comment): I'm not gonna to touch your daughter, I'm just giving her a ride to the game. You shoot it much?"

Father: "Yhea, I do, and I'll shoot you if you start foolin around with my girl."

I just changed the subject and went on about my business. A few months later we ended up at the NF range at the same time, he with his pistol, I with mine (a S&W 28-2... a .357 on a .44 frame :rolleyes: ) plus a few others and we had a friendly little shootout at paper plates.

He didn't threaten me again after that, though I heard from friends that he issued the same threat to every other guy that came by, every single time they did...

Drunks are so cute.

Oleg Volk
October 11, 2005, 12:36 AM
Personally, I plan on being supportive of my kids' efforts to get laid...but that seems to be the minority view.

wingnutx
October 11, 2005, 12:42 AM
This actually happened to me once.

I was cleaning my AR & AK after a day at the range, and my 17 year old step-daughter's new boyfriend chose that moment to drop by.

I couldn't have timed it better if I'd planned it.

C96
October 11, 2005, 12:46 AM
You might want to add:

"You're going out with my reason for living and if you get the feeling you want to
hug my daughter or kiss her or touch her, remember these words, I dont have
a problem going back to prison."

BamBam-31
October 11, 2005, 01:02 AM
+1 for P95Carry and pax.

Glad I have a son! :D

You know you're a gun nut when: You eagerly await the day your son is old enough to hold the M1 Carbine while you hold the M1 Garand and Mommy's holding the camera. :D

artherd
October 11, 2005, 02:06 AM
"You're going out with my reason for living and if you get the feeling you want to
hug my daughter or kiss her or touch her, remember these words, I dont have
a problem going back to prison."

lol, some of you need a hug yourselves :)

I'm with Oleg on this one. Just don't do anything SHE dosen't want.

SpiderJohn
October 11, 2005, 02:22 AM
I had a few fathers try this "scare the lust clean out of ya" tactic, and for the most part it worked. The problem is that their daughters resented them for it, and worked hard to punish everyone in the situation by making bad decisions. I remember rather vividly walking out of a house with a young lady after one of these displays of "property rights" ("she is "MINE" not "yours", get that mixed up and you will die" speech). The young lady asked if I had received "THE SPEECH". I told her I had. She told me to ignore it. I did not.

My then future father in law treated me with respect from day one, and although I can't say for sure, I think it had an effect. The respect he showed me, earned my respect for him. I did my best to treat his daughter with respect then, and I still do (I have to, she is a better shot than I am). I had a lot of growing up to do when we first met, but he never reminded me of it. His daughter, my wife, displayed a great ability to take care of herself from the time we first met. It was one of many things I found, and still find attractive about her. He did his job well, and although he has long since passed away, I still respect him for raising a daughter that can think for herself.

We have only a short time to teach our daughters what it takes to survive and excel in this world. I hope the right answer is to constantly strengthen her ability to make decisions for herself. Give her the best education you can, lead by example the morality you hope her to have, and never forget, they will learn from your behavior long before they ever hear the words.

Concentrate on the skillset, so that they are able to accurately assess any situation they find themselves in, and can react accordingly. Teach her basic self defense skills, basic weapons skills, and do your best to tolerate her decisions.

My daughter is 10. Some days are diamonds, and some days are stones. I love her with all my heart. She is a valued part of my life. I owe it to her to treat her with respect. To behave in any kind of threating manner with a young man planning to take her out is to openly question her decision making skills. I will not intimidate a young man with a firearm or a threat. If I truly have reservations regarding the date in question, the answer will be NO right then and there. The young man will be sent on his way, and then we will have a discussion regarding my concerns.

Now should something happen that requires the use of immedate self preservation tactics by my daughter, the situation changes entirely. There is no need to discuss that. We all know what we are, or are not, capable of doing when defending the lives of our children.

When it is all over and I am playing on the floor with my grandchildren, I don't want the Son in Law to be in fear of what I might do, just because I intimidated him the very first time I met him.

I don't claim to have the answer. With daughters, the questions change every day. I don't think I will be ready for that "first date" when it actually happens, but I will not lower myself to the level of threatening anyone.

Medusa
October 11, 2005, 03:16 AM
I have a boy, also. But indeed, there are guys out there that think too much of themselves and allow themselves too much. These tend to hurt the girls and sometimes these guys must be suppressed (dispatched - "... I have a shotgun, a shovel and 5 acres land behind the house ..."). But yes, father must be supportive of his daughter and support her in need, if the boyfriend makes her cry it is reasonable that the boyfriend will be made cry.

If i happen to get a daughter I'd try to be like that, support in background and agressively only in utmost need.

BTW nice gallery (especially the weapons one), Oleg.

EDIT: my wife's father never tried this stunt on me, most people here are actually afraid of weapons and if something happens (like a 16y schoolgirl got shot in the head in the middle of the city at the rushhour time) everybody runs and hides (eyewitnesses, and plenty of them, were so afraid that there isn't enough info even for photo-robot). I haven't dared to say my wife's family that I have some firearms as people with guns are looked at like they'd have an AIDS.

SomeKid
October 11, 2005, 07:23 AM
Personally, I plan on being supportive of my kids' efforts to get laid...but that seems to be the minority view.

I am less than two hours away*, and I can safely say I always keep my guns clean. :p

(*-Offer of free use of myself only applies to ladies age 18 and older. :evil: )

bogie
October 11, 2005, 08:06 AM
Oh yeah...

Paint. Color is good.

And contraception.

I can just see this in 15-20 years... He's sittin' there, cleaning a 20mm pocket pistol, and the boyfriend walks in."

"Howdy son. You got a rubber?"

Henry Bowman
October 11, 2005, 09:25 AM
''touch a hair on my daughter's head and you are dead meat!! So? Isn't that what the blissninnies call "zero tolerance"?

warth0g
October 11, 2005, 09:30 AM
Im with Oleg on this one, why should the fathers deny their daughters to get laid??
Assuming their are old enough to comply with the local laws.

warthog

CAS700850
October 11, 2005, 10:33 AM
Funny twist on this one. My now father-in-law came to my place to borrow some tools while doing some work at my fiancee's apartment. I had been to the range the day before, and had set about cleaning. When he came in, there on my kitchen table was a Glock 19, a Smith 586, and a Smith 649. On the floor were the targets, all showing nice center of mass groups.

He looks at the guns, then the targets, then turns to me and says "Well, I guess I'll never worry about you not being able to protect my little girl."

We get along just fine.

zahc
October 11, 2005, 11:18 AM
This thread has reminded me of how I'm quite disgusted at sexist attitudes and double standards between the sexes, and how willing people are to embrace them instead of denounce them.

SteveS
October 11, 2005, 12:41 PM
Personally, I plan on being supportive of my kids' efforts to get laid...

How so....like being their pimp? :neener:

one-shot-one
October 11, 2005, 12:43 PM
but the sitcom "the war at home" father had one rule for dating his daughter:
if my daughter see's your p***s i'll remove it.
:neener:

NoahFN
October 11, 2005, 12:45 PM
This thread has reminded me of how I'm quite disgusted at sexist attitudes and double standards between the sexes, and how willing people are to embrace them instead of denounce them.

Sexist attitude or natural instinct?

Isn't it a males (father) nature to protect females (daughters) who are generally weaker than males...needing more protection, while the males (sons) are left more to defend themselves?

dasmi
October 11, 2005, 12:51 PM
A friend of mine was picking up his date. He walked up the driveway, and saw dad in the garage, in a sweaty tanktop, tattoos and all, bench pressing in the garage. Dad notices him, stands up, and hands him a bullet, with my friend's name engraved on it. Dad says "you keep that. I've got more."

I think the message was recieved :)

mrwiggins
October 11, 2005, 01:00 PM
I'm a big brother, and i am worst than my father. I scare young boys who want to take out my sister to death. the worst part for them is it's not only me, with my guns, knives, and pretty regular workout routine. I also have friends, lots of football buddies, they threaten the little SOB's as well. then there my (adopted)brother Robert. weight 285, height 6'5, skin color, midnight black.body fat content-less than 20 percent.profession-student/defensive end for University of Southern mississippi. him=scary and large. between him, me, my dad, my football buddies, they don't stand a chance. there has been one successful little guy, he's ok, but believe me he's had the once over many many times.

svtruth
October 11, 2005, 01:02 PM
Oleg-
Nice poster, but what about one where Dad is teaching daughter to protect herself?
Just a thought.
BTW, if you hurt/upset my daughter you would much rather deal with me than her mother.

TonyB
October 11, 2005, 01:35 PM
After an afternoon at the range,I was just finished cleaning my G17.I realized I had to start dinner,so the holstered Glock stayed on the counter while I cooked.Then my Daughter came in with her new Boyfriend(who she actually broke up with this weekend)....he just kind of stares at it like a deer in headlights......She introduces him and I go to shake his somewhat clamy hand.He has the "dead fish" shake.After a couple of seconds he says"is that a gun?".."a Glock actually."I say..."what's it for?"he says..."shooting"I say....."shooting what?"......"anything my daughter tells me too...."
he laughs a nervous laugh...then realizes he's the only one laughing.
A few weeks later we all go out to eat.My wife says to him:I won't make you sit next to the guy with the gun."I say"Sit across from me,so I have a better line of fire."again,nervous laughter,from him only.My daughter says"that's not funny,well maybe a little."gotta love her.

thorn726
October 11, 2005, 01:58 PM
looks like an invitation to several lawsuits and a very unhappy daughter....

i remember having my life threatened by an old grandpa whose daughter i was seeing, things to the effect of "if she is soiled, you will die"

NICE- especially since girl had been having sex for years already.

fguns are for defense, not offence.

this poster, im sorry, but it tells antis we are crazy idiots that might shoot over something incredibly stupid

The Freeholder
October 11, 2005, 02:31 PM

Wait until you have a daughter come home pregnant at some young age, or a son shows up with the pregnant young thing. Or maybe some nasty Dad has your son arrested for statutory rape. Or you get stuck with the grandkid to raise. Etc.

You might wish you hand't been quite so supportive.

30Cal
October 11, 2005, 02:41 PM
I've heard that if you really want to go for the intimidation factor, you have to be wearing only socks and skivvies when pulling the "gun cleaning routing."

Funny picture though!

Ty

dasmi
October 11, 2005, 02:44 PM
Thorn: As he stated, it's a joke on his friend, the guy in the picture.
TonyB: I hope your daughter got rid of that pansy.

odysseus
October 11, 2005, 02:55 PM
then there my (adopted)brother Robert. weight 285, height 6'5, skin color, midnight black.body fat content-less than 20 percent.profession-student/defensive end for University of Southern mississippi. him=scary and large. between him, me, my dad, my football buddies, they don't stand a chance. there has been one successful little guy, he's ok, but believe me he's had the once over many many times.

That's silly to think, more so to even write down. I can only know about what you wrote here, so here it goes. Your sister is not some object of your power trip or need for control. You jealous of her? It's funny, I dated girls who had brothers like that when I was younger - and I only had to smirk at their brothers and what the girls would tell me about them. It's a joke. Guys with the attitude and description you write here have a lot to learn. I grew up with sisters as the only boy, and I learned faster about this than most: What you give in respect and generousity to women, you get returned in multiples! ;)

Let me tell you something that might save you some trouble. Respect your sister and women as equals, it will allow you to have better relationships in your own life with woman (if that's the direction you steer) and you will get a lot more out of those relationships.

Oleg Volk
October 11, 2005, 02:59 PM
With proper safety practices, sex and firearms use can both be recreational. Just because gangbangers knock up ignorant or unwilling partners, or they shoot and injure people, doesn't mean that more civilized people have to fall into the same pattern.

Thrash1982
October 11, 2005, 03:12 PM
A friends younger sister recently started college. Soon after starting she had some guys start hitting on her. She wasn't terribly interested in them so she put up a picture of her brother, me and sever other guys standing in the woods with various firearms. As well as some of her targets from when her brother took her out shooting. The advances pretty much stopped.

patent
October 11, 2005, 03:16 PM
I don't think I had any fathers try this. Most of the dads I came across in high school just weren't the sort that could pull this off convincingly. Had a couple brothers of a girl I dated in college sort of give me a couple looks, but they knew I understood them well enough so they didn't need to be explicit about it. Probably would have done me some good had they done so.

I tend to agree with the poster that said we need to raise up our daughters to be responsible. I also believe, however, that young men need more than to simply be told no by the daughter. IMHO, they need to be encouraged to be gentlemen from the get go, not to be a lout until the girl slaps them and only then start to behave. IMHO, its a good idea for the men in society to make it clear they expect a certain sort of behavior from other young men.

Its my experience that young men will respond differently to pressure from dads than they will to pressure from women. That has certainly been true with the boys I know now, as well as with my own boys. Mom tells them to do X, and they react one way. I tell them, and they often react quite differently. This has always dissapointed me, as I want them to mind their mom the same way they mind me, but I haven't been able to get them there yet.

So, I doubt I'll ever do the shotgun cleaning routine intentionally, though if they date long enough it'll happen anyway. I do expect I'll spend some time to get to know the young man and make it clear I expect he will be respectful to my daughter, and to let him know I'm around if he isn't respectful. Despite the fact that I expect to raise my daughters to handle themselves, I also believe men need reinforcement from men.

I expect I'll also get to know the young women dating my sons, though I somehow doubt I'll be compelled to be as explicit about my expectations as I will with the young men. For those that want to scream that this is sexism, I don't particularly care. Its quite simply my observation that young men and young women are at least somewhat differently motivated, and that they typically require somewhat different supervision.

patent

Offwhite
October 11, 2005, 03:25 PM
The assistant principal at the school my father used to be a principal at pulled fun little stunt on his daughters first ever "gentleman caller" (her first ever date). For the purpose of people possibly knowing them I will live the names out:

The youngman rings the door bell and the father opens it.
FATHER: Good evening son?
YOUNMAN: Hello is ___ ready?
FATHER:She'll just be a minute you know girls. Why dont you have a seat on the couch while you wait.
The Youngman sits down and as soon as the Father's wife walks out of the room he walks over to the Youngman, pulls a pair of his daughter's painties out of his pocket and throws them at the Youngman.
FATHER: Put these on.
YOUNGMAN: (stunned)What, sir?
FATHER: I said, PUT THEM ON!
YOUNGMAN: But sir, I can't get into those...
FATHER: Thats damn right, and you remember that tonight son!

Unfortunetly it doesn't involve any good gun story, but funny non-the-less. This is a true story that happened about 4 years ago.

STW
October 11, 2005, 07:50 PM
I never considered the gun speech with my girls. We simply kept them involved with sports and helped them be very confident in themselves and in us. One of them, 5'2", has twice beaten up boys that got out of line. While I knew any intimidation I tried wouldn't be learned, a cute but intimidating girl is an ongoing lessen.

rustymaggot
October 11, 2005, 08:38 PM
overly protective brothers do more harm than good. the girl just ends up being imature and slutty. guys, if you show no respect to your sister regarding her choices and you make her feel like her judgement of someone is inferior you will just drive her to act out.

ive met a few parents and some were cooler than others but most of them liked me more than any other guy their daughters brought home. in highschool when i was a senior i dated the freshman daughter of a cop. her dad loved me. she said that i was the first guy who ever looked her father in the eyes when i met him and shook his hand and thats why he liked me.

the funniest speach i ever got from a father when i was dating his daughter went like this.... me and the girl were at her house while her dad was at work. i had not met dad yet. he unexpectedly pulls up outside and walks very quickly into the house and right past where we were sitting in the living room and walks into the kitchen. he gets a coke. comes out and says to her " YOU, come home tonight" then looks at me and says YOU, bring her home" then walks out and drives away. this led me to ask where she was the previous night. needless to say that that relationship didnt last long.

once i dated a girl whos mom was a bigger gun nut than i am. her mom gave me a pistol for christmas. it wasnt a good pistol but it was a cool gift regardless.

if i ever have a daughter ill do my best to make her a good judge of character as well as teach her how to defend herself. i dislike sexism as much as i dislike racism and hypocracy. regardless of if i have a son or a daughter ill probably raise em the same. a well raised kid is a well raised kid regardless of sex. far as a daughter, i doubt ill do anything too scarry in front of the guys she might bring home. however, i did like the "whatever you do to her im gonna do to you" speach. i might use that one. it has that other kinda level of creepiness to it.

pax
October 11, 2005, 08:44 PM
Oleg ~

If you don't get on your kids' cases so much they have to learn how to lie with a straight face and also learn how to get away with stuff without being caught by authority figures, you're denying them the opportunity to learn some important life skills.

;)

j/k.

Mostly.

pax

Titus
October 11, 2005, 09:11 PM
Back in the day, I'm sitting on the couch, waiting for the date, and her father says about the rifle over the fireplace, "You like that rifle?" "Yes, sir." "Well, don't make me use it on you!" :) All I know is that scene in Bad Boys II is about 1:30 into the movie. "That's right! I just got out of jail and I ain't goin' back!" Call me old-fashioned but that's good times.

bigun15
October 11, 2005, 09:21 PM

Are you by any chance looking to adopt a youth?

ctdonath
October 11, 2005, 09:32 PM
Massad Ayoob's older daughter brought a new suitor to meet dad.

At work.
While teaching a SWAT team.
In full body armor.
Carrying lots of guns.

Suitor did not continue pursuit.

Andrew Rothman
October 11, 2005, 09:41 PM
I think that if you treat your daughter with love and respect, she will grow up expecting (demanding) that from her gentlemen callers.

If you treat your daughter with domineering control, she'll either rebel in kind, or find a guy who treats her just as badly.

That said, I'll be teaching my daughter to look out for herself, and I'll be the backup.

And if some guy tries to hurt her, I won't need any firearms when I tear his face off. :D

RyanM
October 11, 2005, 09:43 PM
"Of all human sexual abberations, chastity is the strangest." -Ani DiFranco (I think).

Gewehr98
October 11, 2005, 10:07 PM

I'm visualizing Oleg squeezing into the back seat of a car with two hormone-raging teenagers, coaching his daughter. :eek:

The picture of our subject father-to-be would look better if there were a shovel propped up against the far wall in the background, and a tarp neatly folded beside it. ;)

mustanger98
October 11, 2005, 10:16 PM
:scrutiny: :( This thread's been one extreme to the other. :uhoh: My understanding is those of us who want our sister or daughter to stay safe- we make these efforts hoping we won't have to hurt somebody. But, the suggestion of the shovel and tarp takes us from the humorous end of that train of thought, to about the creepiest end. :eek: I don't think those of us who have any sense would actually want to have to make the guy disappear; mostly I think we'd rather the loser went on and left her alone. :(

As for what Oleg and a few others might do, well, we don't always agree with how others raise their kids, but unless really bad, not to mention illegal, stuff starts happening, we can't afford to have a dog in that fight. It takes all any of us can do to mind all our own business. We all need to do our best to raise our kids right, although some of us ain't even to that point yet.

Gewehr98
October 11, 2005, 10:52 PM
Lighten up and save your scrutiny icon for a better fight, Mustanger98. Nobody's suggesting that homicide will really be the outcome of the event. Guess I didn't use enough smiley icons. My bad. I'll not inject humor into another thread, I promise, ok?

I'd first heard it as a teenager when I was dating somebody's daughter 20+ years ago. The joke was even repeated on the movie "Clueless" not too long ago. It goes something like this:

"Young man, I own a .45 and a shovel...don't make me have to use either one."
Another variation:

"I got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anybody would miss you."

We fathers often tell jokes like that. Just like the old one about the difference between a girl baby and a boy baby. If you're humor-impaired, please skip the following bit:

If you have a boy, as he grows up, you only have to worry about one penis. If you have a girl, you have to worry about all of them. :D

mbs357
October 11, 2005, 11:34 PM
Teenage guy here too.
Not worried about dads because I'm awesome and a gentleman.
And also because I've never had a date and I don't see any on the horizon. =(

I think what it is is I'm too nice.

Agent P
October 11, 2005, 11:57 PM
Test1968, that's a great list. Had to wipe off the moniter after reading it.

Rule 5's preferred answer of an "early" return could mean 6 am, too. That's early. (At least to me it is. I'm more of a night owl.)

Greg L
October 12, 2005, 12:15 AM
As long as Oleg doesn't have boys & he turns into their fluffer - that is a bit over the top :neener: .

As a father of 2 boys & 1 girl I can see both sides of the issue. From what I've seen in my (limited) experience, raise the boys to respect their mother and raise the girls to kick their brothers butts all over the yard.

If you can accomplish both then you will have young men who can hold their own against the assorted dads (provided of course that you chose a mother worthy of their respect ;) ) and a young lady who can show all the all too prevalent metrosexual males out there what a man really should be.....

mustanger98
October 12, 2005, 12:17 AM
Gewehr98, I know it's a widespread joke. My use of the scrutiny icon was only meant to denote a serious observation of how the situation can go. I've made jokes about stuff like this too, when I was face to face with folks and they could tell I was kidding. I'm not saying we shouldn't be humorous and I'm not about to say that.

cracked butt
October 12, 2005, 12:23 AM
With proper safety practices, sex and firearms use can both be recreational.

Gotta go with Oleg on this one. Whether a daughter desides to have sex or not does not depend on how much you intimidate her dates.

M-Rex
October 12, 2005, 12:25 AM
With proper safety practices, sex and firearms use can both be recreational.

Gotta go with Oleg on this one. Whether a daughter desides to have sex or not does not depend on how much you intimidate her dates.

...and the age of consent. ;)

Detritus
October 12, 2005, 12:40 AM

Don't feel bad, when i was in HS i KNOW i was, b/c i was told that exact thing by the girl as a reason for the breakup. she did wind up being one of my two best friends right up untill i moved out of state.

will say that the ONLY time i have EVER regreted that portion of my 15-18 year old personality was when i found out well after the fact (aprox. 3 years) that another close female friend had wanted a closer relationship, ie date and see where it went from there. but i was intimidated by her, i was a shy, fat, geek, she was popular and had a "reputation" (no truth behind that, i found out btw, but she'd cultivated it same as some guys do) :banghead: but that story doesn't really belong here.....

as for the "i have a gun and a shovel....." speech i never heard it directed t me, though that's probably due to having by pure chance dated mostly girls with dead or absentee fathers.

bigun15
October 12, 2005, 12:47 AM
Teenage guy here too.
Not worried about dads because I'm awesome and a gentleman.
And also because I've never had a date and I don't see any on the horizon. =(

I think I just made a new THR friend. We have 4 things in common.

M99M12
October 12, 2005, 12:49 AM
"pure chance"

You too

:D :neener:

Titus
October 12, 2005, 01:06 AM

Take it from a guy who has been photographed with a Klingon, you can game and get chicks, but it doesn't really increase your odds. :)

Wasz
October 12, 2005, 02:02 AM
My GF's father is a shooter and used to load his own .357. He has an old Ruger security six and was jealous when I got a GP 100 in June. Im still trying to get him to start loading for me. My thought was always in a daughter based situation (should there ever be one) I would meet the kid at the door, and toss him a single round. Hed look at it and look at me. "Nice catch kid, screw up with my daughter and the next one will be coming at you a lot faster." I think that would pretty much set things straight from the word go.

Hoploholic
October 12, 2005, 05:50 AM
I don't like this one Oleg. It suggests that firearm owners espouse using deadly force, or threat of same outside of the force continuum. The liberals would love to portray us as radical hotheads and this photo statement would seem to support their desire. Even if you don't plan on publishing this photo on your site, it has been made available to the public here.

Mongo the Mutterer
October 12, 2005, 06:24 AM
The liberals would love to portray us as radical hotheads and this photo statement would seem to support their desire.Oleg, love your stuff, but I have to agree with this one...

On a :) note. Our 15 yr old's boyfriend came into the my office one day and acted kind of strangely... looking over my shoulder at something...

I ignored it, he left, and I turned around to see the silhouette target I had laid on my recliner. I always use most of the target, not just COM, and this one had the nad area completely blown away...

Guess his thought was :what:

He's gone now, was a wimp anyway...

280PLUS
October 12, 2005, 06:42 AM
I've got a 14 YO daughter who has "blossomed" in the last year or so. Suddenly boys are sniffing around. I know what they're sniffing for too. I was a teenage boy once. I remember the thing that one dad said to me that really worked. "I don't care what else you do but if you get her PREGNANT I'll kill you." I'm waiting to try that line myself someday soon. :evil:

mbs357
October 12, 2005, 06:55 AM
I think I just made a new THR friend. We have 4 things in common.
Sweet, let's get together to play with guns, play games, and cry about not having a social life. =D

Take it from a guy who has been photographed with a Klingon, you can game and get chicks, but it doesn't really increase your odds.
I was almost eaten by a Klingon once. If I was older I would have broken his neck. By the way, what's the best round for a Klingon? They're right tough.

Titus
October 12, 2005, 09:08 AM
By the way, what's the best round for a Klingon? They're right tough.

This is a common question when people are "debating" calibers. "There's an angry Klingon 21 feet away holding a bat'leth. You can have one round of 9mm or .45 ACP. Which do you choose?"

This assumes that it's not Worf though. My sister could beat him up.

JShirley
October 12, 2005, 09:24 AM
Good god.

Let me give you a hint. When girls say you're too nice to date, it has nothing to do with nice. It has to do with being whiney and unassertive.

John

mbs357
October 12, 2005, 10:04 AM
.45!

Shirley:
Well...ok.
*sits in corner and cries*

exoduster18
October 12, 2005, 10:35 AM
Detritus, mbs357, bigun15: I know that line rather well, heard from all of my ex's every time (I've only had three). Funny how they pass us by and go to the "bad" boy but then come to us for stability....Oh well.....I have to share this one though: My first girlfriend invited me to meet her parents (I was 16) and when I walked in her father had his guns laid out with ammunition for each gun. He was in the process of taking apart and cleaning his Remington 11-87. He couldn't seem to remove the trigger assembly to clean it. He was trying to remove it improperly. Just as I was going to ask about the guns, he says to me "Boy, you do see what I'm holding?" I said "Yes sir I do, and you're removing that trigger assembly wrong. You have to push up on the rear of it and slide it rearward to get it out of the reciever." He just looked at me like :what: . Needless to sat we sat and talked about guns and everything to go with them for half an hour until my girlfriend asked me to walk with her down to the local store (about a mile away). He just looks at me and says "Go ahead boy, it's alright, you seem to know how to handle guns safely, so I think you can handle yourself and anything that comes your way." I was pretty thrilled, but he was a little freaked out to know that I could disassemble a gun and put it back together the way I did. Never bothered me again.... :D

warth0g
October 12, 2005, 10:45 AM
Beeing from Europe and all that, I will try not to offend any of you. But this father protecting his daughters stuff, looks to me as it has evolved to some sort of ritual. I seriously hope you dont plan to realy shoot some poor 16 year old boy form beeing what you once was yourself.

warth0g

280PLUS
October 12, 2005, 11:14 AM
I seriously hope you dont plan to realy shoot some poor 16 year old boy form beeing what you once was yourself. All I know is my little girlfriend didn't get pregnant so I never had to find out if he really meant it. Fair warning was enough in my case...

:D

one-shot-one
October 12, 2005, 11:21 AM
of the gun talk here is with tongue in cheek.
However I like a couple of others have mentioned would have no problem inflecting serious bodily injury to any kid old enough to mistreat my daughter.

warth0g
October 12, 2005, 11:27 AM
Who is talking about mistreading your daughter? its talking about letting your daughter having sex and enjoying it. Assuming your daughter is of legal age of course.

warth0g

adaman04
October 12, 2005, 11:32 AM
(Ducking for cover...) :fire: :cuss:

Gordon Fink
October 12, 2005, 11:36 AM
Itís not really about guns or teenage sex at all. Itís about parents wanting to protect their children. Iím not one to make threats, but anyone who harms my daughter will suffer the consequences, if I have anything to say about it. Itís as simple as that.

And I wouldnít worry too much about Olegís poster. The father pictured isnít a typical gun owner. He is obviously one of the special people who can be trusted with firearms.

~G. Fink

benEzra
October 12, 2005, 11:48 AM
My daughter will be her own person. I want her to make wise choices, but I think the best way to do that is to help her to be confident in herself starting out young.

She's four at the moment, but when she's old enough to date, my wife and I have thought about taking the prospective suitor to the range with our daughter and letting him see us shoot as a family, especially seeing our daughter being supremely competent at a stereotypically "male" skill. Not to intimidate him at all, but to make him realize that our daughter is a COMPETENT AND INTELLIGENT woman, and if he wants to be part of our family, he'd better treat her with the respect and human dignity she deserves. In every area. I'm not going to do the "scary dad" routine, but her boyfriends will know that we are ALL competent in a lot of areas and that he'd better measure up.

I dated a young woman in high school whose father was a licensed pilot. He took me up in a Cessna 172 one time (he and I in the front, my girlfriend in the back) because he wanted to evaluate me in an unfamiliar situation, AND I think because he wanted me to see that he and his daughter were competent and intelligent people. I appreciated that and really enjoyed the flight (we even found my house from the air and circled it until my sister saw us and waved).

My father-in-law (truck driver from Massachusetts) did the "mean ornery dad" routine with some of my wife's dates (holding a meat cleaver), but I think it was mostly a joke--he enjoyed the reaction it got. He didn't do that with me, and I've always had a very good relationship with her parents.

thorn726
October 12, 2005, 02:35 PM
ok glad to see it's a joke.

i've been around a few such fathers- and some who were the total opposite

HA- there was my first girlfriend, a real piece or work, her dad was not so great either, anyway-
Dad bangs on her bedroom door- says "get over here!"
pulls out an old flintlock and points it at me- "you touched my daughter!"
"BANG"

AAAAAAAAAAhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.

man that thing was loud, aimed right at my you know whats. (yes, a blank)
we all laughed pretty hard, he went back to be with his wife, me and girl shut the door and went back to business.

the pill and a test folks, do that and you got no worries.

Taurus 617 CCW
October 12, 2005, 03:02 PM
Well I don't have a daughter but I do have a girlfriend. I told her that she should show this picture to any guy who makes her feel uncomfortable. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Jet22
October 12, 2005, 03:30 PM
A buddy of mine married the daughter of a guy with a large gun collection (no brothers). Even thought he lives an hour and a half away from the guy he's over there sucking up as often as possible (goose hunting a week ago). He pictures all those guns in his safe in the near future. Lucky s**t!! :mad:

I should have checked my wife's dad's gun collection before I married her!!! :banghead:

As far as my daughters go, they can all shoot better than their husbands can. They all started shooting before they could walk!! :D

scout26
October 12, 2005, 06:48 PM
My daughter is eleven, so it'll be a few years before she starts dating. That Said (tm), her first date(s) will be chaperoned trips to my club for some trap, skeet, rifle and pistol practice. :evil: :neener:

Now my son on the other hand (he is 4) wants to have his Birthday party at the club. We'll probably do that for his 8th or 9th B-day. Anyone want to volunteer to help out with a bunch of kids on 11/1/2009 ????
Free Ice Cream and Cake !!!!

Burt Blade
October 12, 2005, 09:36 PM
Let your kids know you will always be there for them, to educate them, to protect them, to encourage them, and to support them. Make sure they know how to take care of themselves, including calling for backup.

Get to know the kids who associate with your kids. Be respectable and respectful. They will figure out that you are an involved parent. And they will quickly realize form associating with you and your kids that if they cross your daugther, and she fails to kick their butt, you will hold the miscreant down so she can finish the job properly. You won't have to say a word to get this message across.

Teach a kid to handle snakes, and the kid is not likely to get bit.

Respect is _much_ more important than fear.

keyhole
October 12, 2005, 09:47 PM
My daughter had some boyfriends (ex) that had stopped by to see her. They told her, " Hey there's a patrol car parked out front", she said, "I know, it's my dad". Some never came back. :evil:

ChickenHawk
October 12, 2005, 10:03 PM
I never had to warn my daughter's dates about my two friends, Smith and Wesson.

My daughter always did that for me! :D

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

mustanger98
October 12, 2005, 10:09 PM
And yet my sister's dates and other miscelanious callers never were worried by my friends Sturm and Ruger. :confused:

CGofMP
October 12, 2005, 10:16 PM
I think when my daughter brings home her suitors, I'll smile, bring them into my office, sit them down, chit chat about worthless BS with them for a few minutes and then casually slide a target across the desk at them. I have this target already. Its a lovely little target, about the size of a half dollar with a cluster of little holes all right in the center most of them touching each other.

I envision the exchange something like this:

POTENTIAL SUITOR: :what: Uhm... yes sir I get the message....

ME: No son I really do not think you understand.....

POTENTIAL SUITOR: Uhm yes sir, I am being told that you could hurt me and that you are pretty damn good with a rifle so I better be pretty damned good to your daughter.

ME: No son, not at all... I'm NOT telling you that *I* am any good with a rifle at all.

POTENTIAL SUITOR: :confused: huh?

ME: Son, that was my little girl's first 'live fire' target. I'm pretty proud of her. She has gotten a lot better in the last four years. .....Oh and by the way... my wife can out shoot her daughter. I'd treat them both with respect and deference. ;)

http://norcalprecision.com/testimonials/cahrlestestimonialtarget2small.jpg

(As if it needs to be said... this is all tounge in cheek...a joke. I hardly think it appropriate to actually threaten anyone becasue they want to court your kid. Not to say that setting the mood as one of accountability and respect is not the order of the day, I just do not see doing it with a firearm or threats.)

mustanger98
October 12, 2005, 10:45 PM
CGofMP, FWIW, I think showing them your daughter's shooting ability is a good idea whether or not you say "you do... and I'll..." You were saying that about respect and such... what is it they say... "an armed society is a polite society". My sister's boyfriends haven't been able to outshoot her (since she learned at the same time I did which is four years younger than I did). One of her other callers (whom I've described in other threads as "swordboy") got extremely mad when she outshot him... with my revolver. My sister's husband is a ex-deputy sheriff, so he had to qual with whatever his dept issued, but the way he acts when I'm around with my guns and hearing us tell about my sister, he suddenly gets really really quiet. The upside there, though, is that he's supportive of his son learning guns and shooting partly from his wife's brother. I sometimes wonder how unusual that is.

artherd
October 12, 2005, 11:26 PM
ME: Son, that was my little girl's first 'live fire' target. I'm pretty proud of her. She has gotten a lot better in the last four years. .....Oh and by the way... my wife can out shoot her daughter. I'd treat them both with respect and deference.
:eek: Sir, may I have her number? ;)

CGofMP
October 12, 2005, 11:31 PM
Sir, may I have her number?

Sure!

Look up the number 288.a in the california penal code

Thats the only number about her you need! :neener:

mustanger98
October 12, 2005, 11:43 PM
Like we couldn't see those last two posts coming. (I know... tongue in cheek.)

A daughter who can shoot is a daughter to be proud of. :cool:

A woman who likes guns and shooting and will take care of herself is one to marry. :cool:

Big difference. :cool:

pete f
October 13, 2005, 02:22 AM
Scout if you think you have a few years to wait and your daughter is 11 you are not listening.....you might have a year or two at MOST>

My first and only comment on this was when a nice young man I had know for a while came to the door for my daughters first real date. I simply said "I want you to know, if you hurt her, I will beat your head soft and mushy" He knew what i meant and that i meant it. They went our for a while and about a month later my daughter stopped calling him. Said he was nice but not what she was looking for. I am also a realist in knowing that males are not the only ones who have hormones. My house phone regularly rings at 6 am with breathless young ladies wanting to speak to my son before school in the morning. Dads, you might want to talk to you wives about how women mature earlier and faster than young men.

Len_in_Phoenix
October 13, 2005, 03:33 AM
My method will be similar to the one used by CGofMP.......the only question will be "shotgun or rifle?" I need a good caption for the second picture, though.

For the moment I'm quite happy that the pool of potential candidates is largely made up of kids she has met at the range.

Len in PHoenix

Jet22
October 13, 2005, 09:18 AM
I need a good caption for the second picture, though

How about "A woman that can take your breath away...LITERALLY" :evil:

Missashot
October 13, 2005, 10:35 AM
Got a kick out of the picture. Thought it was cute. That has been a long going joke for years.
As to it being a real threat, I don't thing that anyone would really shoot a boy for dating their daughter. :uhoh:
I was once a teenage girl (back when dinosaurs ruled the earth) and my parents raised me "right." But I was also raised to be strong and independent. And also able to make my own decisions as to whether or not to have sex. I know that my parents did not want me to do it, but I was well educated enough to protect myself and to choose my suitors wisely. You can't stop teenage hormones just because you don't want to see your child grow up. :( That said, I'm sure that if someone forced themselves on me or something like that, all hell would have broken lose. :cuss:
I am sure I will be the same way with my daughter when she gets old enough to start dating. However she will NOT be dating before the age of 16. :what: (She is 10 months old now.) Most girls younger than that are just way to immature to make informed decisions about life changing situations. :rolleyes:
Hopefully by the time she starts dating, she will have a nice collection of guns and be able to handle them like a pro. That way, if SHE wants to chase the boys off, that saves me or her dad from having to do it! :evil:

SteveS
October 13, 2005, 01:57 PM
I was once a teenage girl (back when dinosaurs ruled the earth) and my parents raised me "right." But I was also raised to be strong and independent. And also able to make my own decisions as to whether or not to have sex. I know that my parents did not want me to do it, but I was well educated enough to protect myself and to choose my suitors wisely. You can't stop teenage hormones just because you don't want to see your child grow up. That said, I'm sure that if someone forced themselves on me or something like that, all hell would have broken lose.

My daughter is only 3. I hope she turns out just the way you did.

BluesBear
October 13, 2005, 06:06 PM
I need a good caption for the second picture, though
How about, "You do not want to make her turn around!" :evil:

Missashot, I like your style. I believe that there are way too many people out there who have children and have forgotten that the word PARENT is also a verb.

Based on what I have read on THR for the past few years, I also think that the quality of parenting by our members is outstanding.
It seems that responsable gun owners are usually responsable parents.

scout26
October 13, 2005, 06:41 PM
Scout if you think you have a few years to wait and your daughter is 11 you are not listening.....you might have a year or two at MOST>

Yeah Pete, they may come sniffing, but Mrs Scout has stated no dating until age 16.

She's been Turkey Hunting since she was 9. Hasn't gotten one yet, but when she does, like CGofMP, I'll use that picture of her with her first wild turkey, holding her shotgun. I think the caption will read "Don't Be A Turkey Around My Daughter".

Then off we go to the range !!! :D

My son will be nine by then, I can just picture him either busting a long string of clays or ventilating the COM of a target, and turning the "Dator" and saying with a wink "Just in case Dad misses.....and Dad never misses !!!!"

Red_SC
October 14, 2005, 10:41 AM
My wife's parents never tried the intimidation thing with me. They have a couple of guns, but they also live a half a mile from my dad's house, so they knew the amount of shooting that we did. Anything over a .22, and they can hear it. We met at college 800 miles away, though- but that's another story.

Funny thing, though, I was sitting at the kitchen table in a wifebeater (not normal for me, but I had just taken off the polo shirt I had been wearing) cleaning my 870 when my sister walked in with a guy and sat down at the couch. I honestly had no idea he was coming over- but it was funny all the same. Musta worked, too- he didn't last long after that.:D

Browns Fan
October 17, 2005, 08:09 AM
Qoute,
"How about "A woman that can take your breath away...LITERALLY""

Yeah, nothing can take your breath away like a sucking chest wound!;)

Missashot
October 17, 2005, 08:43 AM
My daughter is only 3. I hope she turns out just the way you did.
I'm Sure she will be LOTS better! :D

Missashot, I like your style. I believe that there are way too many people out there who have children and have forgotten that the word PARENT is also a verb.

Thank you. I'm just plain 'ole me. :p
I agree about more people needing to step up and be a part of their children's lives. That is one thing that impresses me about most people here on THR. The seems to be a lot of involvement on the part of parents here. I especially like the idea that most of the guys here try to get the special women in their lives (Wives, daughters, girl friends, or just friends) to take up firearms for whatever reasons. Be it self-defense, or recreational shooting, or competitive shooting. I just think it is so wonderful that instead of trying to discourage them, you guys are trying to encourage something that could possibly save a life or at the very least be a great stress reliever! GREAT job guys!:what:

Gump
October 17, 2005, 11:29 AM
How about "A woman that can take your breath away...LITERALLY" :evil:

about "A woman that can take your breath away......with a sucking chest wound"

Oleg Volk
October 17, 2005, 11:37 AM
One thing about women and guns (explained inmore detail in the upcoming CCM article) is that they should have better understanding of my violence is an expedient of last resort. That should make their spouses safer, as they wouldn't be using skillets as instruments of domestic accord enforcement.

denfoote
October 17, 2005, 09:16 PM
It depends on how you define "date"!!

I bet I'd get permission to go if I offered to take them both shooting!!

hso
October 18, 2005, 12:48 AM
Ok, I get that the image is a joke and that it's supposed to be funny to "us", but the very fact that there are people out there that have actually done this, have had this done to them, or seriously consider doing it when their daughters get old enough to date is outrageous.

If my wife and I and our friends and family have done their part in raising my daughter I expect her to make good choices and also be able to physically deal with any situation that turned out to be threatening. She better had since we understand the police aren't likely to be there when things go wrong any more than any of us. With the right training she should be able to turn some young rooster into a capon if he starts to hit on her the wrong way.

I think a better poster is a side by side image of the gunny welcome wagon contrasted with a father teaching his daughter to shoot asking "How do you want your daughter to view guns?" Perhaps combine Oleg's image with Len's? Or use a Jed Clampet for the 21st century theme?

The_Antibubba
October 18, 2005, 05:09 AM
Len, here's a caption:

See that horizon? You've got five minutes to be over it".

As for Oleg's poster, I have a better caption, although it doesn't have anything to do with daughters:

Don'tVOLKwith me!

:evil:

Len_in_Phoenix
October 23, 2005, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=The_Antibubba]Len, here's a caption:

See that horizon? You've got five minutes to be over it".

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner..........but it should be on this picture instead:

Len in PHoenix

el44vaquero
October 23, 2005, 02:26 AM
Rule Ten

Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy outside of Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car-there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.

Good one. I like this rule the best.

Krenn
October 23, 2005, 09:33 AM
A Date with the Daughter
Act I, Scene I.

As instructed by daughter, suitor arrives 30 minutes early. walking past several nondescript trees and bushes, he rings the doorbell and waits patiently for a moment.

from above and behind his left shoulder, a voice speaks suddenly;

Father:(in a deep voice whose tone belies any hope of kindness) "Can I help you?"

Suitor turns swiftly, half jumping into the air as he does so. staring in the direction of the voice, he cannot identify it's source until the father steps forward from beside a tree. The father is wearing a full-body Ghillie parka, a black base with mossy brown jute patters overlayed on top of it. To the untrained eye, the father was perfectly concealed against the tree, until he moved. an assortment of rope, cut tree limbs, and moss sits at the base of the tree, as though a project was underway, but the purpose of them cannot be discerned.

Suitor (slightly stammering) I'm John Cooper. Jane told me to be here early.....

Father: You're on time then. Come with me.

Suitor: ah yes, ah, sir?

Father leads the suitor into the house, removing the Parka hood but otherwise leaving his disconcerting suit on. The father makes a deliberate nod to his wife just before he enters the den, and she shortly begins to go about an unseen task

The Father and Suitor enter the Den. The room is brightly lit, and the bearskin rugs are unmistakably authentic. A large, well trained dog lies on one such rug, and looks up as the two men enter, although it does not stand. on the walls of the den, wooden bookcases hold a large collection of Reference works, clearly labeled with titles such as "A Master's Guide to Skinning" and "The Bowyer's Bible." Laying open on one of the large, upholstered chair is a book titled "Protection Dog Training," with the image of a dog in mid-leap tearing into an assailants arm, and begining to twist him into the ground. The breed pictured is the same as the one laying on the nearby rug.

A large, deactivated LCD screen is on one wall, with two attendant computers on either side.

The Father picks up the book on dog training, and places it on a nearby table, next to a book entitled "Sniper training: exceeding the 1000 yard limit" Those two books are the only ones not on bookshelves, and the room is otherwise perfectly organized.

Father: Sorry about the mess, I think Jane and her mother were reading a litte while ago. Please, have a seat.

The father gestures to the chair the book was in, and sits in one across from it. the suitor's chair has a perfect view of each book.

The suitor sits, still moving as though in a mild state of shock. In doing so, he is now positioned so that the back of the chair is between him and the dog.

The Father purses his lip, looking beyond the suitor and at the dog for a moment, then appears to reach a decision, and speaks.

Father: Rommel, come.

The dog pads quietly over to the father's chair and sits deliberatly next to it, hind legs crouching and forelegs upright. the father's hand begins idly scratching the back of the dog's head and neck, but the animals eye focus relelentesly on the suitor, face snapping to point at each subtle movement the suitor makes, then quickly returning to the young man's face.

Father: Well, now that we're all settled, I suppose I ought to have a few words with you. I'm sorry that Jane's Uncle Jimmy couldn't be here, but he had some sort of social event with the senior members of his Dojo. I suppose I can always radio him if he's range and you have question I can't answer. just let me check here...

The father reaches for a remote control, which is mounted on a heavy base, and sits perfectly aligned with one corner of the table. pressing the "power" button, the LCD screen lights up, and the father returns the remote control to PRECISELY the place it previously occupied. The screen shows a many-windowed view. on two main windows are a map of the family home, and a map of a city street, with two places prominently marked among several lesser designations for other buildings. One place is marked "Ninjitsu Dojo, and four green dots blink in various locations within or just outside the building, marked variously Jimmy-1 through-4. The other prominent location near the dojo is labeled as "Astaire Dance Hall"

The map of the family home contains perhaps 12 dots... they overlap and it is hard, but each family member in residence, including Jane, would appear to have four dots labeled with their name... or perhaps five? different sections of the home map are lit green for a few seconds at a time, and a final small window appears to be showing corresponding CC camera views of those sections of the maps... in visual, IR, and night-vision displays, depending on the postion.

The Father looks at the screen quickly, and without undue interest or suprise, and then speaks again.

Father: "Ah good, he's at his Dojo, I won't have any problem getting in touch, in case you wanted to ask him about any little thing. Now then, I suppose you and I had better get down to brass tacks, now hadn't we then?

The suitor's eyes move in a repeating cycle, staring at each strange stimulus, and he answers slowly.

Suitor: ah, yes, ah, sir... I suppose we should...

Father: (Glancing back at the screen) oh don't mind that, son, it's just that large for show. any of our laptops could get the same data... they're all hooked in to the wireless network. that's why its so easy to get in touch with Jimmy right now. 'Course that's pretty easy anyway, what with the radio and the GPS markers, but I'm getting off topic.

Now then, I spoke over the phone with your Father already, and he seems a right moral kind of a man. A civil attorney, is that right? Anyway, he assured me that you and Jane would be restricting your evening to a perfectly wholesome place. Just what exactly did you two have in mind, anyway, son?

Suitor: Yes sir, he handles mainly civil harrasment and bias suits. Jane suggested the, Ah, Astaire Dance Hall, Sir.

Father: I believe I've heard of the place, yes. That'll be fine, just fine. Now tell me a little about yourself, son...

The conversation continues for about ten minutes, then the father finishes it up.

Father: Well, that surely does sound interesting. I never imagined High School could be so different. Why in my day we woulda torn... but no, no, don't get me started. Now, I think Jane's mother is filing some of Jane's pistol targets in the armory files, so why don't we just go say hello to her and then I'll let you and Jane get on with your evening, she should be just about ready.

The Father stands, leading the Suitor out of the den, the dog stalking behind the suitor every step of the way. as they cross the doorframe leaving the den, the father ends with one last sentence:

By the by son, you WILL have my daughter home by 9:00, I trust? Jane's mighty particular about her punctuality, and naturally I've got to support my daughter in these little things, is that clear?

Suitor: Absolutely sir. certainly sir. I, ah, wouldn't disagree with that for my life, sir....

-finis-

Glenn Kelley
October 24, 2005, 12:17 AM
Crushing walnuts with your bare hands while discussing the weather is subtle and effective.Leaving deer bones on the front lawn is less subtle,but effective as they appear out of the melting snow.Leg bone are the best as most kids can't identify species.

Letting them know that you have something on the math teacher and can destroy them academicaly can be subtle.

Showing them your scars and explaining what happened to the other guy ..not so subtle.

If you enjoyed reading about "So his daughter's date shows up..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!