A funny thing happpened to me at the range yesterday.


PDA






atblis
October 11, 2005, 10:32 AM
I was at my gun range when this happened (I was litteraly standing there when this all went down).

News headline (http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=3961382)

and I didn't have a single gun on me. I was at my gun range, came the closest to every actually needing a gun, and I didn't have a single one on me (archery practice). I have a few rules that I try not to break, and I think going somewhere completely unarmed is getting added to the list.

If you enjoyed reading about "A funny thing happpened to me at the range yesterday." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oldtimer
October 11, 2005, 11:18 AM
I spent 31 years in law enforcement, and probably COULD have performed my duties effectively if I wasn't armed about 80% of the time. The other 20% was when it was absolutely necessary to be armed, but...you NEVER know when it might be necessary!

By the way, the British "Bobbies" have always bragged about their UN-armed police officers. Of course, England has become totally anti-gun, and it is next-to-impossible for a British citizen to own a firearm of any sort.

A recent United Nations report disclosed some very interesting facts. The USA is no longer the "murder capital" of the world, for SCOTLAND (another "gun-free" country) now holds that place of "esteem"! New Zealand (anti-gun) has become the "sexual assault capital" of the world! In that same report, it said that New Yorkers were MORE SAFE than the average citizen in London!

Yes, the USA has steadily increased the number of gun laws through the years, but Australia has "one-upped" the USA, by outright banning such things as sling shots and BB guns! Those irrational "gun" laws in Austalia have only caused their overall crime rate to INCREASE, especially in gun-related and violent crimes!

What it boils down to is, ya NEVER know when you MIGHT need a firearm, but it's better to HAVE one than to rely upon the percentages! Lastly, I've been legally carrying concealed firearms for close to 35 years....as an active-duty police officer and as an honorably-retired LEO. I have been involved in 2 shootings (on-duty), and numerous "close calls" (both on- and off-duty). You'll never catch me WITHOUT a concealed weapon on my person, mainly because I don't have a crystal ball that tells me that it will be okay to go without one! Besides, after all of these years of carrying, I'd feel downight nekkid without a firearm riding against my hip!

Nickotym
October 11, 2005, 11:23 AM
I have heard of one or two stories of self defense with bows by hunters returning to their cars to find a criminal there already.

scbair
October 11, 2005, 01:15 PM
I learned my lesson young, and the easy way. As a teen, a buddy and I made frequent trips to the old town garbage dump, and squandered our allowance on ammo to bust bottles and ventilate tin cans (that was the only place I ever shot glass targets, by the way. Hey, it was a garbage dump!!). We would, in our youthful zeal, expend every live round we had between us. :D

On this fateful day, as we made our way back to our vehicle, a LARGE canebreak rattler was found . . . between us & it! :what:

OK, no, the rattler didn't attack us, and I probably could've found a large and heavy object to bash it (I repeat: Hey, it was a garbage dump!!). Frankly, it wasn't THAT big of a deal, and we simply walked around the sunning snake, leaving it to its dreams of juicy field mice.

Still, the sudden realization that we had encountered a potential threat, with two totally useless firearms, was all the wake-up call I needed. Ever since, I have carried:
1) a small quantity of ammo that will NJOT be used in practice, but will be loaded in my sidearm and carried away from the range with me; OR
2) a concealed handgun, that is loaded and will not be "shot dry" at the range; OR
3) BOTH! ;)

Gordon Fink
October 11, 2005, 01:27 PM
I have a few rules that I try not to break, and I think going somewhere completely unarmed is getting added to the list.

It doesn’t sound like you were unarmed at all.

~G. Fink

atblis
October 11, 2005, 01:38 PM
The way I shoot my bow, I would be better off using the arrow as a sharp stick.

My buddy had an M1 in his trunk. However, it would have taken him far too long to get it out and load it. We did get it out, but in retrospect it was very long after the fact.

I am talking about a concealed handgun (or even open). That is what I mean by armed.

MAUSER88
October 11, 2005, 03:07 PM
It pays to Always expect the unexpected.

FireBreather01
October 11, 2005, 03:26 PM
My range, like many others, is off the beaten path and is not well used. There are many times that I find myself shooting alone. I always keep my R9 in my pocket and even amongst other shooters, it has never been noticed. One guy at a range all alone could be a tempting target for a BG looking for a quick firearm score - especially if I'm down range setting up targets with the rest of my guns in my bag or on the bench. Even shooting with friends on private land or together at the range, at least one of us remains always armed - sergeant at arms if you will, because you just never know what could happen.

BB62
October 11, 2005, 05:43 PM
I spent 31 years in law enforcement, and probably COULD have performed my duties effectively if I wasn't armed about 80% of the time. The other 20% was when it was absolutely necessary to be armed, but...you NEVER know when it might be necessary!...

Nothing against you, OldTimer, but I think it worthwhile to point out that LEO's are supposed to (or if off duty, at least authorized to check things out, defend life, apprehend people, etc.

I think some CCWers (and some LEO trainers) forget the simple fact that LEO's are supposed to go toward conflict, while it is best for us non-LEO's to stay away from it.


BB62

If you enjoyed reading about "A funny thing happpened to me at the range yesterday." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!