Pistol with stock a SBR or AOW

PDA

MudPuppy
October 11, 2005, 07:07 PM
If I have a pistol that I would like to add a stock but keep the short barrel, would that be registered as an AOW or SBR?
Or something else entirely?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol with stock a SBR or AOW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AJ Dual
October 12, 2005, 01:20 AM
It would have to be registered as an SBR. You can put stocks on pistols if they're black powder revolvers, or if you put a 16" carbine barrel on them

AOW's must be built from "virgin" rifle or shotgun recievers that have never had a stock on them.

Examples of AOW's are the Serbu Super Shorty 12 Ga pump action pistol built on virgin Mossberg recievers registered as AOW.

beerslurpy
October 12, 2005, 08:42 AM
If it has a stock, it isnt an AOW. A smoothbore pistol is one of the main AOW categories. If it has a stock, it isnt a pistol, it is a shortbarreled something.

Dragun
October 12, 2005, 08:55 AM
what about the carbine kit for the beretta neos? i think it was ruled that you can put a stock on a pistol and it is legal as it is already registered as a handgun.

edit: crap, the one they show is different from the one i saw before they came out. http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?functionId=009000008&parentID=019000844
looks like it has a long barrel now.

the original was going to be a pistol with a stock
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3014/neoscarb5mi.jpg
maybe being able to ship to cali is the reason for the change.

BTR
October 12, 2005, 12:10 PM
It is legal to convert a pistol to a rifle w/ no paperwork or tax, as long is it has a 16' barrel and the appropriate overall length. Converting a rifle/shotgun into a pistol without the tax and paperwork is, however, illegal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol with stock a SBR or AOW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!