Viscous animal V/s human with no gun

PDA

Horsesense
October 11, 2005, 10:36 PM
I started out looking for links to Bear Attacks where the victim used a gun, for the Hunting Forum, but found these and thought it would be a good topic for this forum.

These stories reveal why every responsible adult should pack a gun, and in some of the stories, someone did have a gun.

I figure that being able to relate some of these encounters would be a plus when antis ask, "why do you need a gun?"

If you have similar links, please post them.

Animal Attack News from Around the World
http://attack.igorilla.com/

Coyote Attacks on Children

http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm

Man-Eaters

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/maneating.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Viscous animal V/s human with no gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnKSa
October 11, 2005, 10:40 PM
How viscous?

Sounds like a sticky situation to me...

MachIVshooter
October 11, 2005, 11:02 PM
How viscous?

<wiping coffee off my monitor>

Horsesense
October 11, 2005, 11:20 PM
Huh? How did that get by my spell checker? I donít think it is possible to change the title of the post so I guess this will become a Mecca for the spelling police.

Grizzly bear pit fights

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html

PS: I actually do know how it got passed the spell checker

MachIVshooter
October 11, 2005, 11:31 PM
Lighten up. Just a little fun at your expense! :neener:

torpid
October 11, 2005, 11:33 PM
How viscous?

Yes, it must be a honey bear squeeze attack!

:D

Tory
October 11, 2005, 11:39 PM
or maybe the Blood-sucking Snails! :what:

Cosmoline
October 11, 2005, 11:50 PM
The ADN archives are full of bear attack and "knock over" incidents as well as self-defense shootings. The primary theme running through all the incidents is how fast it hits the fan. You have only a second or two to get whatever you've got up and operational.

zahc
October 11, 2005, 11:51 PM
is that like an amoeba?

JohnKSa
October 12, 2005, 12:11 AM
MachIV,

I'm sorry about that. It's unfortunate that my attack of "intelligent Equus asinus" came right at the start of your thread... I hope that I didn't hijack it entirely.

Actually, the most dangerous animals (in terms of the frequency of attack) tend to be the ones that are most common, or are most often in close proximity to humans.

That's why there are such a number of threads on dog attacks.

chris in va
October 12, 2005, 01:42 AM
Every time I go to a customer's house...

"Oh, he won't bite. He's all bark. Just let him smell you and he'll lick you to death".

My ass. :scrutiny:

Lupinus
October 12, 2005, 01:59 AM
"Oh, he won't bite. He's all bark. Just let him smell you and he'll lick you to death".
How about you teach your dog to not jump and bark at people the secodn they walk through the door instead of me standing here like an idea waiting to see if the dog is going to lick me or rip my arm off.

bogie
October 12, 2005, 07:30 AM
By the time animals become viscous, we usually don't need to worry about them - we just avoid them, from a long distance.

JamisJockey
October 12, 2005, 08:53 AM
I think it slipped right past the spell checker.....

MechAg94
October 12, 2005, 12:02 PM
Vicious animal V/s human with no gun
I think it depends on how vicious the human is.

With polar bears, I guess it wouldn't really matter though.

rmgill
October 12, 2005, 12:39 PM
Oleg & Kit have done two photos that cover this. (I think it's Oleg's Photography...)

Here they are....Yep, Oleg and Kit.

http://www.forevervain.com/albums/oleg-september04/aao.sized.jpg

and

http://www.forevervain.com/albums/oleg-september04/aan.sized.jpg

Dr.Rob
October 12, 2005, 01:20 PM
Puma Poop looks like rope... it's mostly deer hair.

Carrying a pistol in a safepacker on a hike makes more sense in the lower 48.

Vern Humphrey
October 12, 2005, 01:42 PM

My ass.

So now we know where you got bit.

Carrying a pistol in a safepacker on a hike makes more sense in the lower 48.

Carrying a pistol anywhere makes sense.

Sunray
October 12, 2005, 01:51 PM
"...How did that get by my spell checker?..." Spell check doesn't find correctly spelt words.

72Rover
October 12, 2005, 01:55 PM
Chris in VA wrote:

Every time I go to a customer's house...

My ass.

Diplomacy is saying 'nice doggie....' until you find a big rock. ;)

Cheers

Yardstick
October 12, 2005, 02:14 PM
In Arizona (and other states, I'm told) for some reason it's against the law to carry any firearm while archery hunting, even if you have a CCW license. I can understand them not wanting archery hunters to be cheating and using long arms, but they don't even want people carrying handguns! :banghead:

Last year I was archery hunting for elk in Northern Arizona and a mountain lion tracked me down and got within 5 yards of me. I'm big and looked bigger in my coat, but the cat still came that close. I was watching for it because I'd seen it the night before, but it snuck up on me from my 12 o'clock while I was watching my 7 o'clock position. I turned around and saw it at that 5 yard mark and pulled the .45 I was carrying (illegally). I think the combination of being seen and me making a lot of quick movement scared the cat off. I didn't have to fire a shot.

My mind goes back to that scene when I think of going anywhere there might be vicious animals. I will always carry in the woods, illegal or not. If I have to, I'll make an animal a viscous pile of blood, meat and fur!

JamisJockey
October 12, 2005, 02:47 PM
Yardstick:
Same thing here in UT during Muzzloader. My buddy actually had a similar experience just last week. He was sprawled out napping waiting for someone when he heard heavy breathing. When he looked up, a Mountain lion was within 10' of him, low, with its ears down, looking at him. He grabbed for his muzzloader and it ran off.

My advice to him was to illegally carry his snubnose. He's an ethical hunter, and wasn't very keen on that idea. I'd rather loose my hunting privelages than my life.

modifiedbrowning
October 12, 2005, 02:56 PM
I didn't think firearms worked on the Blob.

Vern Humphrey
October 12, 2005, 03:26 PM
Last year I was archery hunting for elk in Northern Arizona and a mountain lion tracked me down and got within 5 yards of me.

So how many broadheads did kitty cat eat? :p

Kurush
October 12, 2005, 03:42 PM
It's illegal to carry a gun (or slingshot, oddly enough) in PA state parks. I think it was intended to be an anti-poaching law, but it has yet to be changed to make a CCW exception.

Our wild animals are pretty laid back (black bear sows with cubs notwithstanding) but the bipedal primates have been known to cause trouble now and then.

Double Naught Spy
October 12, 2005, 04:21 PM
While I agree that all legal adults should carry guns, not all of the examples provided were situations were adults were present.

Not all of the attacks were vicious per se, unless you consider normal sort of hunting, feeding and defense behaviors of animals to be vicious. That would make humans vicious to animals as well.

In going through bear attack resources while working in Alaska, it became readily apparent to me that part of the reason so many people get attacked or killed by bears is human stupidity. God is just trying to thin the herd a bit so that the human population will be strong and we thumb our noses at him by giving guns to stupid people, only a few of which end up shooting themselves, a few that end up shooting friends, but the rest somehow managing to survive.

As a person who did work rendering skeletons from roadkill for comparative anatomy, I really liked the original thread title even though it wasn't the intentional thread title. Viscous animals are really just a threat to your car's interior if the bag leaks.

Yardstick
October 12, 2005, 04:37 PM
So how many broadheads did kitty cat eat?

Zero.

The first time I saw the cat it was 20 yards away at the water hole I was watching. I had the perfect side shot for about 30 seconds. It took about the first 5-10 seconds to decide I was actually looking at a mountain lion (I'd never seen one before and it was dusk). At first I thought it was some kind of dog, then I took note of the distinct thicker legs, smaller head and U-shaped tail. I didn't even contemplate sending an arrow in its direction since I didn't have a tag for mountain lion and it wasn't a threat at that distance.

This year I didn't get to go hunting because of work, but I bought a mountain lion tag when I thought I was going to go. In AZ a mountain lion tag is an over the counter tag and a "general" tag, which means I could use a pistol, rifle or bow to take a mountain lion. If I have an archery only tag (for deer, as an example) and that general mountain lion tag, it is still illegal to carry a firearm unless I'm ONLY hunting for mountain lion. And as I understand it, if I were carrying a firearm (with or without a bow) intending to take an animal with a "general" tag and had an archery only tag in my posession I could be in trouble.

Vern Humphrey
October 12, 2005, 04:51 PM
I'd say a cat that gets within five yards of you is like a man with a knife at the same distance -- if you wait to it to make the first move, you waited too long.

Yardstick
October 12, 2005, 05:00 PM
Vern: Definitely! If I had it to do again, first I'd have a tag already. Second, I'd take the 20 yard shot and not let the cat get any closer. Third, if it did surprise me I'd do exactly what I did; Pull the 1911 out of the holster, thumb down the safety, put my finger on the trigger and try to acquire a sight picture all as smooth and FAST as possible. Fortunately for the cat (and my unprotected ears), it ran into the ravine in front of me and disappeared in the dark woods -before I could get a sight picture and squeeze the trigger.

Vern Humphrey
October 12, 2005, 05:08 PM
I had a bear knock over my beehive. When I went out to check on it later, he was standing right next to it (about 40 feet from the house.) When I went in to get a camera (which was out of batteries, dang it!) he had moved across the drive into the bushes -- which was fortunate for him, because he was about to become involved in an experiment to see if a .45 ACP is good enough for black bear.

Oldtimer
October 13, 2005, 11:31 AM
Alright, ENOUGH fun with the word "viscuous"! Your spell checker wouldn't spit out "error", for there IS such a word! What you wanted was the word "VISHOUS"! HAHA!

The one-and-only time that I had a "close call" with a "vicious" wild animal was when I was 16 years old (I'm now 59). It was during a deer hunt with my dad, and I was roaming a nice high meadow, just below the tree line.

No deer were around, from what I could see, but I became mesmerized by the sight of a fat little bear cub frolicking in the tall meadow grass. Cute little guy! My mesmerization ended, however, when I heard mama bear behind me! Oh, she was going ballistic, since I was between her and her cub!

I hot-footed it to a large boulder, climbed on top of it, and turned toward the loud wallering of the mama as she began charging toward me. I only felt somewhat safe, for if she wanted to, she could probably pull herself up to the top of that boulder! I had my .30'06 rifle ready, but I suddenly realized that I had a "noise maker" on my hip....a loaded .38 special revolver!

I unholstered the revolver, fired 3 rounds into the ground, and heard the cub make a squealing sound.
Mama bear was still coming toward me when I fired the remaining 3 rounds into the ground, directly in front of her. I was about to switch to my final option....the rifle....but mama bear suddenly diverted her attention to her squealing cub, which was running away from the noise. Mama halted her attack, and after having experienced the "pucker factor", I let loose with a LOUD "passage of wind"!
I stayed on that boulder for several minutes before jumping down, and cautiously made my way back to our camp.

My dad had taught me well, and that included the carry of a handgun while hunting. It could be used for dispatching rattlesnakes, but I found out that it was a VERY viable "noise maker" during that hunt! While I MAY have been able to drop that mama bear with the .30'06 rifle, I felt much better that I had used my head. Fortunately, I didn't fill my britches with you-know-what! WHEW!

Yardstick
October 13, 2005, 01:05 PM
While phonetically it looks right, "vishous" is an incorrect spelling. The correct spelling is "vicious". That is, if you're referring to a wild, predatory animal that may eat you! :D That other one, "viscous", is good for motor oil, honey and other sticky, generally slow moving fluids (though all fluids have viscosity).

Part of the reason my dad and I both carry while archery hunting is because of an experience a buddy of his had. This guy was stuck in a tree stand for hours while a mama bear and her cub (or cubs) played in the water hole he was watching. He didn't see exactly where they came from, but he figured if he'd gotten out of the tree a few minutes before he might have been bear doo-doo.

The handguns are mainly noisemakers when faced with something like a bear. Smaller predatory animals that might attack could probably be defeated with the handgun though.

Vern Humphrey
October 13, 2005, 01:12 PM
While phonetically it looks right, "vishous" is an incorrect spelling. The correct spelling is "vicious".

Remember, in English, ghoti spells "fish."

gh is the "f" sound in enough.

o is the short "i" sound in through.

And ti is the "sh" sound in action. :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Viscous animal V/s human with no gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!