Where have they all gone?

PDA

harrydog
March 29, 2003, 09:01 PM
Thefiringline.com had 17,850 members when it closed. The High Road currently has 4,406. I'm baffled as to why there aren't more members here.
The High Road is very similar in format to the firingline and is clearly the best general gun site currently available, so why aren't there more members here?
I guess I don't really expect anyone to know the answer to this.
But the wealth of knowlege that quadrupling the membership would bring, would be very nice. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Where have they all gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coonan357
March 29, 2003, 09:10 PM
go look at how many of them actually posted or where lurkers .. I feel tah only the die hards came along for the ride but remember to spread the word about here as I have had people ask where tfl went

Preacherman
March 29, 2003, 10:20 PM
Harrydog, remember that every time a member registers at THR (as was the case with TFL) his/her username is added to the database. If he/she hangs around for a while and then leaves, or comes to the site often but seldom logs in, or if they're among our more frequent posters, the result is the same - one name in the membership database. I'm sure that TFL's ACTIVE membership at its closing was probably not more than 3,000 to 4,000 members, not all of whom were frequent posters. Most of the rest of the names would have been those who were once registered, but had moved on. I'm sure we'll see the same thing on THR (except for us regulars, of course!).

Greg L
March 29, 2003, 10:58 PM
I just did a fast search and there are 1215 members here who have either never posted or only posted once. I'm sure that if I was to do the same thing for under 10 posts it would be well above 2500 of the members.

There is only a small percentage on any board who keep the place moving along. Luckily here the majority of that small percentage seem to know what they are talking about. :D

Greg

(edit - I was wrong, there were 2416 members with 10 or less posts)

coonan357
March 29, 2003, 11:02 PM
so what your saying Greg is that istead of saying senior member we should be tagged know it all ??? LOL J/k:D :neener:

Phyphor
March 29, 2003, 11:05 PM
Like I haven't been called THAT before.. :D

(In reference to computers, to firearms, I'm only knowledgable enough to be dangous... :evil: To the OTHER guy... )

Greg L
March 29, 2003, 11:12 PM
No Coonan,

You need a couple more posts to catch up to me. THEN we can call you a know it all. :D

Greg

DMK
March 29, 2003, 11:46 PM
Hey, 3 or 4 thousand people getting along fairly civilized like on an almost daily basis and agreeing on anything isn't something to sneeze at!

trooper
March 30, 2003, 07:54 AM
Hey, 3 or 4 thousand people getting along fairly civilized like on an almost daily basis and agreeing on anything isn't something to sneeze at!

Civilized: mostly yes

agreeing on anything: heck, no!!!

There are lots of controversial issues debated in here and that's great.

Regards,

Trooper

Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 07:57 AM
It is however something of a miracle. I've been on many many boards and none seem to get along as well as this one.

Thumper
March 30, 2003, 08:05 AM
An armed society is a polite society...right, Feanaro?

Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 08:10 AM
Exactly, sir. ;)

hksw
March 30, 2003, 09:09 AM
I had joined TFL early on in 1998 IIRC. In that time to the end it went up over 17,000 registered. I think THR has a pretty good start to surpass that rate.

8Balls
March 30, 2003, 10:36 AM
Probably many TFL users had multiple accounts. Forgotten passwords, new names, etc...

keyhole
March 30, 2003, 11:37 AM
I was turned on to this board by a local judge. Great place to discuss ideas, and even have friendly disagreements. Glad to be here!:D

Ala Dan
March 30, 2003, 04:32 PM
Greeting's All,

Well, I'm still hanging in here; although I've had to cut
back on my number of post's! In the old days of TFL, I
was spending too much time running my mouth; and
not getting enough shooting done. I had to make a
few changes as of late; and this was one of them.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

M2HMGHB
March 30, 2003, 04:39 PM
I mainly lurk and absorb some of the knowledge that floats in a lot of the threads.

wun_8_seven
March 30, 2003, 04:40 PM
4000 members and still nothing new to talk about. 187

harrydog
March 30, 2003, 05:26 PM
Well, these explanations make sense.
How long has the High Road been around?
I've noticed that if I do a search on a particular subject both here and on thefiringline, there are usually many more matches over there than there are here. But that is probably only because they had so much more time to accumulate so many posts over there.

Mal H
March 30, 2003, 05:30 PM
hksw - Just to clarify, you joined TFL in mid November, 98 (member 640). I agree, even though we started out with the main base of TFL members, I'll bet we'll surpass the final count by a very good margin 4 years from now.

hksw
March 30, 2003, 05:40 PM
Thanks Mal.

telewinz
March 30, 2003, 06:53 PM
I just hang around waiting for someone to bring up the subject of tanks:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Where have they all gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!