Birmingham, AL (Oct.12, 2005)

Two cop killers have been sentenced to death by lethal injection. Kerry
Spencer and Nathaniel Woods were sentenced to die for murdering three
Birmingham Police Officers on June 17, 2004. Spencer admitted firing his
SKS assault rifle into the bodies of the three officers; while they were
inside a Tuxedo Junction crack house to serve a domestic violence
warrant on Woods. Spencer already on Alabama's death row, will be
joined by Woods who showed NO remorse for his actions at his jury
sentencing phase that ended yesterday (10-11-05).

Woods said, " I have NO feelings about those officer's". When put on
the stand in his own defense and asked what punishment he deserved;
he muttered that "if they want my blood, fine. Let 'em take it". It was
noted that Woods had drawings of this crime, and lyrics to rap music
that supported his (and Spencer's) actions.

Co-prosecuter Mara Sirles stated that Woods didn't care about officers
Owens, Chislom, and Bennett then or now. She further stated that the
officers were "gunned down like pigs".

If you enjoyed reading about "Good News" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gulogulo1970
October 12, 2005, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a story that will have a happy ending.

Shoot'em the juice!

Missouri Mule
October 12, 2005, 04:31 PM
Yup..It is a good thing when convicted murderers are put to sleep.

I however beleive they should have to face a firing squad.

Pilgrim
October 12, 2005, 04:33 PM
How long does Alabama take to getting around to executing condemned prisoners?

Pilgrim

NavajoNPaleFace
October 12, 2005, 04:33 PM
Won't make the handful of anti-cops in here happy.

Oh, well!

Car Knocker
October 12, 2005, 05:35 PM
Sure didn't take long for this thread to degenerate!

Declaration Day
October 12, 2005, 05:37 PM
When I read the title "GOOD NEWS", I was expecting to click on it and read "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico."

GhostRider66
October 12, 2005, 05:48 PM
Won't make the handful of anti-cops in here happy.

Wow! Now that is over the top. Most that I've heard from are entirely against police officers acting in inappropriate or arrogant ways. But to actually suggest that people here who argue against police in this manner would support two cop-killers??? What gives with that attitude? :mad:

J Miller
October 12, 2005, 05:56 PM
Murderers need to be put to death. It doesn't matter who they kill.
(Some people think, right or wrong, that people who kill cops get harsher treatment than those who kill regular citizens.) Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but killers like those, need to be executed. And I agree with Missouri Mule when he says they need to face the firing squad. Lethal injection is just too gental a way to kill.

Joe

Standing Wolf
October 12, 2005, 06:25 PM
Ultimately, capital punishment is a statement of moral values. It's a way of saying we, the people believe the lives of innocent people are incomparably valuable, and can not be destroyed with impunity.

Ala Dan
October 12, 2005, 06:48 PM
ATT: Pilgrim

It usually takes on the average of 15 years for a condemed person to
exhaust all their appeals. Here in Alabama, a few have stepped up and
withdrawn their appeals and faced the music. One of those, Mario
Centobie was also a "cop killer"; killing Officer Keith Turner of the Moody,
AL PD while on escape from a Mississippi prison.

NavajoNPaleFace
October 13, 2005, 09:21 AM
my post: "Won't make the handful of anti-cops in here happy."

response by GhostRider 66: "Wow! Now that is over the top. Most that I've heard from are entirely against police officers acting in inappropriate or arrogant ways. But to actually suggest that people here who argue against police in this manner would support two cop-killers??? What gives with that attitude?"

Simply, research back and read the tendencies of some to make comments against LEOs and that, in appearance, give the impression they would rather support the criminals...at whatever they have done.

buzz_knox
October 13, 2005, 09:34 AM
Simply, research back and read the tendencies of some to make comments against LEOs and that, in appearance, give the impression they would rather support the criminals...at whatever they have done.

I think this statement speaks to your bias, more than the actual thoughts of those on the board.

thatguy
October 13, 2005, 10:01 AM
I have read a lot of criticism of police officers in these forums, some deserved some not in my opinion, but I have never read anyone posting that they would be happy to see cops killed. This comment was over the top, IMO.

On the subject of the original post, who gives a fig whether the killers show any remorse? Murderers should be executed with as much speed as possible regardless of their feelings about their crimes.

Missashot
October 13, 2005, 11:04 AM
If you kill someone in cold blood, it dosen't matter who, in my opinion you deserve to die in the same fashion as your victims. :banghead: I know that will NEVER happen, but I can still dream. :evil:

foghornl
October 13, 2005, 11:15 AM
My 1/50th of $1..

Those that murder someone should meet their demise in the same fashion.

DirksterG30
October 13, 2005, 12:31 PM
Ultimately, capital punishment is a statement of moral values. It's a way of saying we, the people believe the lives of innocent people are incomparably valuable, and can not be destroyed with impunity. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Car Knocker
October 13, 2005, 02:56 PM
I don't have any quibble with the death penalty, in and of itself. I do have a problem with the conviction of people who later turn out to have been innocent. There have been too many cases of DNA analysis resulting in the pardon of people on death row.

What standard of guilt should there be for the state to take someone's life? I read this last Sunday about a man who spent 12 in prison for rape. The victim positively identified him as the rapist although he maintained his innocence. He later convinced an advocates group to look into his case. The (now deceased) pathologist who had processed the rape kit had taped a snippet of the cotton swab to the file. The swab was processed for DNA and guess what, the DNA belonged to nother guy who was doing time for rape! The pathologist's files were searched for other cases and DNA testing resulted in the release of two other men, one after 23 years behind bars.

So, the question is, if you were on trial for murder (and you were innocent of the crime), what standard of guilt do you think should be met before you were found guilty and executed?

pax
October 13, 2005, 03:03 PM
I don't have any quibble with the death penalty, in and of itself. I do have a problem with the conviction of people who later turn out to have been innocent.
Car Knocker ~

In general, I agree with you. There really isn't any acceptable margin for error when the state executes people; even one innocent person put to death by the state is too many.

However.

That doesn't seem to pertain in this case. Apparently these guys not only admitted doing it, but were proud of doing so.

Seems to me that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

pax

Car Knocker
October 13, 2005, 03:36 PM
Pax,

Agreed, there is no doubt in this case. My comments were directed at those posts that generically stated that murderers should be executed, period. The burden of proof at times appears to be somewhat less than rigorous.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good News" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!