What fascinates you about guns?

PDA

natedog
March 29, 2003, 10:00 PM
I am truly fascinated by guns. Especially repeaters. When I look at a diagram of one, or take one apart, I can see the complex simplicity of them. Let me explain. They seem so complex, the fact that they can be fired multiple times, yet once you get down to it it's very simple. It's a major "Doh! Why didn't I think of that!". Also, the fact that a little bit of activation energy starts a mechanical device which starts a chemical reaction. That little finger motion with hardly any force delivers hundreds, even thousands of pounds to bear on the target.

If you enjoyed reading about "What fascinates you about guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Okiecruffler
March 29, 2003, 10:12 PM
I love to see the evolution of the gun, from the iron pipe on a stick all the way to the GE minigun. Each refinement built on top of the one before, a testament to the ingenuity of mankind. But most of all, I just like to make noise.

DeltaElite
March 29, 2003, 10:17 PM
They go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM :D

Honestly, I am fascinated by the evolution from the first percussion revolvers onward.
I respect and admire the men who thought these firearms up and I enjoy studying and learning about the weapons. My interest is primarily handguns.
My hobby of firearms is also about personal defense and later it became a part of my vocation.

coonan357
March 29, 2003, 10:17 PM
the amount of work that goe into making one , from the casting/forging of the frames to the machining and handfitting to make it work .

Hkmp5sd
March 29, 2003, 10:19 PM
The history of the gun and the effect of the gun on history.

Stevie-Ray
March 29, 2003, 11:05 PM
The history of guns fascinates me most. Especially the escapades of great white hunter Frederick Courtenay Selous and his adventures with the 4-bore long guns. Not a fan of recoil myself, these stories are both fascinating and humorous.

Standing Wolf
March 29, 2003, 11:10 PM
For me, the most fascinating thing about guns is the difficulty of shooting them well and consistently. They're interesting as mechanical objects and sometimes works of art, but shooting them with precision is the endless challenge.

P95Carry
March 29, 2003, 11:14 PM
Fascination??? I guess primarily it is an ''engineering'' thing ....... close tolerances, good (mostly!) metallurgy .... and all that wrapped up in a precision device capable, broadly, of pretty impressive accuracy.

With fascination also goes respect ... for a tool which is after all primarily designed as a life taker .... and thus needs competant and responsible handling. For us of course, for the greater part, it is both a means of self defence and also a means of putting food on the table ....... not forgetting also a recreational tool when it comes to squeezing the extremes of precision out of it - and the best of skills out of ourselves - whether at paper or bowling pins!.

Ironbarr
March 29, 2003, 11:16 PM
They can reach out - and touch.

A lot farther than I.

bad_dad_brad
March 29, 2003, 11:24 PM
All of the above.

But mostly, they make all men (and women) equal.

The gun is the ultimate intellectual equalizer. Big or small, if we have a gun and know how to use it responsibly, we are equal. Brute physical force no longer rules man (or woman).

I am 5'10" and 140 pounds. But with my gun I am the physical equal of a 250 pound 6'2" NFL linebacker. And of course this goes double for our sisters. A tiny woman with her equalizing revolver no longer is a victim to brutality.

Guns are all about equality and freedom. That is why the ruling class wants to take them away. Our Founding Fathers new this and that is why we have the 2nd amendment. That is the most fascinating thing about guns to me.

DMK
March 30, 2003, 12:19 AM
I'm a gearhead, so I'm also interested in the mechanical aspect. Some are beautiful simplicity and others seem like Rube Goldberg contraptions. I guess that's why I like collecting a bunch of them and making comparisons of the designs, how effectively they work, asthetics, etc. If I could afford it, I would have a large varied collection of cars too and for the same reasons.

The power is interesting too. Like the torque of a big V8 or the speed of a fast car, firing a big bore gun and feeling that recoil is exhilarating. Taming the beast to shoot accurately is an interesting challenge. Shooting small bore is fun too. It's kind of like a light little sports car or small motorcycle. Each has it's virtues.

I love all machines in general, my interest in firearms is just a facet of that interest.

Yohan
March 30, 2003, 12:29 AM
I wrote a whole essay on it, lol- Check it out if you have the time and patience. If you do check it out, let me know what you think.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15607

Griff
March 30, 2003, 03:30 AM
I like that- reach out and touch something. Yep. Feels good.
I could go on about all sorts of esoteric and philosophical things, but for me, they're most fun to make little green army men and their tanks go POOF! with.

Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 03:35 AM
The sound, the feel, the look. Pretty much all of it. As far back as I can remember I've loved them.

I can't REALLY say why. The same as I can't truely say why I prefer classic rock to anything else, despite having missed that generation.

Griff
March 30, 2003, 03:51 AM
Don't worry, Feanaro, for every Foghat there were 2 Captain and Tenilles to wade thru. Ever heard the one about Terrible Ted going to discos with his hair up in a bun to spray animal musk on the hot lights? :cool:

Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 03:57 AM
It's a bit late here in the US so my mind isn't working too well and perhaps I'm a bit obtuse but I didn't understand what you just typed out. Specifically the Captain thingy...

And no I never heard the one about Terrible Ted... should I have? :):o

hksw
March 30, 2003, 08:52 AM
'nother gearhead here. Particularly method of function (different actions and derivatives of action) to get the same thing done.

Also, much like golf or bowling or any other activity/hobby, but quicker, less walking, although more dangerous.

Much more exciting than stamp or coin collecting.

Butch
March 30, 2003, 09:12 AM
As long as I have a gun , I need fear no man, nor depend on another for my ,or my families existence.

Besides they make a loud noise :what: :neener: :D :D

Tamara
March 30, 2003, 10:07 AM
That smell, that... gasoline smell. It smells like... victory.

justice4all
March 30, 2003, 10:11 AM
My fascination with freedom carries over to firearms, as the latter help guarantee the former.

cool45auto
March 30, 2003, 10:32 AM
The mechanics and the history. You think a gun is so complicated untill you start working on one and you see how simple it actually is. Its just a series of springs and levers used together in a way to achieve a goal.

I love searching the history of my older guns and trying to figure out where they came from, who built them and why.

critter
March 30, 2003, 12:13 PM
Guns are:
History
Art
Entertainment
Protection
Engineering
Design
Therapy
Fun
Security
Exercise
Social Connections
et al

LiquidTension
March 30, 2003, 01:41 PM
When I pull the trigger, things disappear! Mostly it is just a small piece of paper in the middle of a target, but it's still cool.

Kinda like a Star Trek transporter, but the things don't get put back together wherever they end up :D

Coltdriver
March 30, 2003, 03:22 PM
For me it is the combination of what I call the pyro mechanical engine and the artwork that is the metal and machine work.

There is some serious cleverness in the design of many weapons and I thoroughly enjoy taking them apart and maintaining them and shooting them.

Skunkabilly
March 30, 2003, 06:54 PM
Like any martial art, they build charcter.

And I like dressing them up with carbon fiber the way girls dress up Barbie dolls.

Drjones
March 30, 2003, 09:49 PM
What fascinates you about guns?

Everything.

Actually, many of humankind's accomplishments fascinate me.

I find most anything and everything interesting.

I find it amazing the gargantuan skyscrapers we can build.

The great pyramids.

I constantly ponder how amazing computers are.

I'd have to say the one thing about guns that fascinates me the most is ammunition; the incredible precision that is demanded.

I dunno 'bout you, and maybe its just 'cause I don't shoot as much as some people here, but I've never had a bad cartridge. I mean like a round that just wouldn't fire or something.

(Well, maybe I've had one or two, but only one or two...still pretty impressive)

Anyhow, I just find it amazing that ammo will 99.99999999999% of the time, always go "boom."

Oh, and tires too....those are amazing too....the stresses they have to hold up to...

NotQuiteSane
March 31, 2003, 01:16 AM
They're such simple machines.

NQS

Didorian
March 31, 2003, 01:43 AM
There are several things involved here....
The look of many firearms, it's like "useable art".
The feel of a firearm in your hands when you feel threatened. It Feels reasureing. Safe.

But of all of the other things that I can think of... Ironbarr kinda summed it up.... With a firearm.... you can reach out, OH SO FAR, and touch something..... :D

And of course... Guns, when handled properly wheather alone or in good compan are just fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "What fascinates you about guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!