How to buy a handgun in GA?

PDA

Mossy Bloke
March 29, 2003, 10:03 PM
Another thread got me thinking...in NC you have to go to the local sheriff to get a permit to purchase. How's it work in GA?

If you enjoyed reading about "How to buy a handgun in GA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MAKOwner
March 29, 2003, 10:16 PM
"Instant" background check at the store/show, and walk out with your pistol unless somethings changed since the last time I bought one (been a while...). And if the system is down or something you can't take it till the check comes back. For me it's always been virtually instant. If you have a CCW you can skip the background check.

trvlr905
March 30, 2003, 10:15 AM
Yep, last time I bought a handgun in GA (about 3 years ago), all I had to do was show them my CCW and make my purchase. Took all of 10 minutes. God, I hope they send me back.

Oracle
March 30, 2003, 03:44 PM
Buying a gun in GA:

1. Go in store
2. Pick out gun
3. Show them CCW card, or pay $5 for background check.
4. Fill out stupid yellow form
5. Leave with gun

Easy, quick, and simple. That "getting permission from the sheriff" thing is one of the reasons I no longer live in NC.

Tom B
March 30, 2003, 05:36 PM
Private purchases between non-FFL residents are also legal. :D

LiquidTension
March 30, 2003, 10:08 PM
You have to pay for the background check in GA? That is ridiculous. Is it the gun store that requires that, or is it GA state law?

Quintin Likely
March 30, 2003, 10:57 PM
GA state law requires the $5 for the instant background check, I think, although it's waived if you've got a CCW permit.

Otherwise, its like everyone else says, pick what you want, give 'em your money, let them phone it in and walk out.

SquirrelNuts
March 30, 2003, 11:09 PM
I had already paid the $55 in background checks by the time I turned 21. The morning I turned 21 I went to the probate court for my GA Firearms License. I then bought a handgun just to say I bought a handgun the morning I turned 21. I already had a Glock 17, but I just wanted to be able to say that. I then waited three months before I bought another gun to avoid the $5 BOHICA tax. Every gun purchase since I got the permit has taken 20 minutes or less.

-SquirrelNuts

If you enjoyed reading about "How to buy a handgun in GA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!