A hint by the way of the word filter

PDA

Oleg Volk
January 1, 2003, 10:10 PM
You may have noticed a minor tweak to the word filter. We all know that you can find a way around it. Instead of taking this development as a challenge, please take it as a request from one High Roader to another:

Each one of us should be able to express forceful views and strong emotions without resorting to vulgarities. In doing so, in behaving as ladies and gentlemen, we shall improve the quality of the discourse, impress the lurkers and enjoy the statisfaction which comes from enhanced the mastery of the language.

Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "A hint by the way of the word filter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bacchus
January 1, 2003, 10:13 PM
Thank you very much. As was discussed in another thread, there are a lot of us who are unimpressed with foul language on a public forum.

Drjones
January 1, 2003, 10:15 PM
Foul language and ad hominem attacks only serve to show the individuals' lack of education, intelligence, and inability to make a cogent argument.

Redlg155
January 1, 2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah..what Mr Jones just said. :)

Good Shooting
RED

sm
January 1, 2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks

dev_null
January 1, 2003, 10:18 PM
I thought it strange that it censored a row of asterisks in my sig line.

The following is what happens when I put three asterisks in a row:

unnecessarilyrudelanguage unnecessarilyrudelanguage unnecessarilyrudelanguage unnecessarilyrudelanguage *

Oleg Volk
January 1, 2003, 10:21 PM
dev_null,

Sorry about that unintended effect of the filter change.

Dave R
January 1, 2003, 10:27 PM
I appreciate the effort to keep the board clean. The High Road can't be full of profanity, else it would be the low road.

Mike Irwin
January 1, 2003, 10:43 PM
:cuss:

4v50 Gary
January 1, 2003, 11:01 PM
Mike, someone steal the valium today? ;)

Blackhawk
January 1, 2003, 11:04 PM
Haven't noticed, but I appreciate all efforts to keep the messages civil and devoid of gratuitous profanity. :D

TallPine
January 1, 2003, 11:05 PM
Ducks! Geese! Turkeys! Quail!

(just some examples of "fowl" language) :)

Drjones
January 1, 2003, 11:06 PM
Tallpine: Wokka wokka wokka! :rolleyes: :p :neener:

MPFreeman
January 1, 2003, 11:08 PM
Good. I'm hoping my young'ns will soon be reading this forum.

Thanks

MPF

Preacherman
January 2, 2003, 12:05 AM
Tallpine, I'll thank you not to make any more poultry remarks... :neener:

PATH
January 2, 2003, 12:06 AM
Fudge! Fudge! Triple fudge and gee whillickers!:D

bobs1066
January 2, 2003, 12:11 AM
"...ad hominem attacks...a cogent argument."

Been into the Roget's, have we?...:rolleyes:

TERRY8m
January 2, 2003, 12:20 AM
Protect the 2nd., filter on the 1st.

:( :( :confused:

Weimadog
January 2, 2003, 12:32 AM
:mad: Shuckydarns!:mad:

Drjones
January 2, 2003, 12:42 AM
Protect the 2nd., filter on the 1st.

My initial post to this thread:

"Foul language and ad hominem attacks only serve to show the individuals' lack of education, intelligence, and inability to make a cogent argument."

Asking members to refrain from foul language is hardly "filtering" your 1A rights.

Frankly, this is a private board, and as such, is regulated however the owners/admin. sees fit.

PATH
January 2, 2003, 12:54 AM
In all seriousness though we should watch our language as we are representing the shooting community. Vulgarity is unimaginative. I intend to be creative in expressing myself without using vulgarities!

cordex
January 2, 2003, 01:00 AM
TERRY8m, if you go to the extreme top right of your screen and click on the link that says "Rules of Conduct", you'll find this:

A note on FREE SPEECH:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment is greatly respected here on The High Road, as are all other Amendments that the Second Amendment defends. However, The High Road is private property and requests that members adhere to all forum policies. It is a contract agreed to by all who become members of The High Road. Those who break forum rules cannot invoke censorship or freedom of speech - a contract broken is a contract broken. If you do not like the rules of conduct or the acceptable topics, seek out a new venue to frequent or start your own board.

10-Ring
January 2, 2003, 01:51 AM
Between the filter & the new smilies, I'm in hog heaven! :D

Mike Irwin
January 2, 2003, 02:14 AM
I'll be the first to admit it.

I'm probably one of the most vulgar people here.

I don't think anyone can really say, though, that I don't lack for cogent arguments or education.

I'm just a rough person.

DadOfThree
January 2, 2003, 02:25 AM
Thanks Oleg,
At TFL Rich suggested that future boards not try a recreate TFL but to set their goals even higher. You have done that sir. Well done.

TERRY8m
January 2, 2003, 02:33 AM
Not the point. Censorship is censorship. Most objections to "profanity" are solely based upon religion. There is only one curse, taking the Lord's name in vain. All other words are just different means of transferring information between bone encased organic computers.
I don't make a point of using what is considered"vulgar" language to express my opinions in any venue that might be viewed by minors.
I only made a comment, so if that is all it takes to tell a " brother in arms" to take a hike-------------------------------------------------------

SO BE IT!

The Constitution of The United States is not a Chinese menu.
You either support it all or none.
I don't like the opinions of flag burners, political commentators, PETA protesters, Sarah Brady and a lot of other things, But I will defend to the end their RIGHT, to have and voice their opinions.

On two occasions I swore an oath to defend the Constitution and a set of discharge papers did not render the oath null and void.

Good luck, with your board gentlemen and ladies, just remember, with out the first ammendment, you have no hope whatsoever of keeping the rest.

C'est la vie.

Perhaps one of you folks that take such pride in your intellect, should translate my sig line for the rest of the sheeple.

Mike Irwin
January 2, 2003, 03:00 AM
No one has Constitutional rights on a privately owned/operated Website.

The Constitution restricts the government's ability to place restrictions on your speech.

Since the government isn't enforcing a set of posting standards here, it's a moot point.

There's also the concept that absolutely no right is absolute.

Even the Founding Fathers, authors of the Constitution, recognized that.

PATH
January 2, 2003, 03:11 AM
Something along the lines of you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre if their is no fire. The danger would be too great in the ensuing panic.

On a lighter note....can you yell movie in a crowded firehouse?

Gordon
January 2, 2003, 03:24 AM
I want to talk like Jeff Cooper writes. As such I have a long way to go. I KNOW hes no wimp, and supports the constitution. I will try to control my anger and be a gentleman. NOW please let me post in Tactics how to conduct ambushes and counterattacks and intell. Then I will be a gentleman in Hog heaven. The hour is getting late.:D

Maddock
January 2, 2003, 03:31 AM
TERRY8m --
No-one has a "right" to violate the code of conduct on this forum or any other internet discussion board. The owners of this board have set a standard of conduct that all of us agreed to follow when we joined. There are other boards that do not have the same same code of conduct.

The highest form of freedom carries with it the greatest measure of discipline and humility. Unbridled license is a sign of vulgarity, injurious alike to self and one's neighbors. = Mohandas K. Gandhi

Bob A
January 2, 2003, 03:32 AM
On a lighter note....can you yell movie in a crowded firehouse?

You can if you are safely out of the way of the resulting stampede. These guys work harder at doing nothing than any people I know. :)

As far as restrictions on language on this or any other forum...

You have a right to "free speech" but you do not have a right to participate in this private forum. It would be like saying you have a right to say the same things in my living room. To which I would respond by showing you the door to my home where you have no right to be.

As a practical matter, many states and localities have codes which restrict speech. My best friend arrested somebody in front of my house for threatening to burn my house. You can also be cited for vulgarity in language, spoken or displayed in view of the public, and gestures, which the SCOTUS has so obligingly included as "speech."

Rights are not absolute. I do find it ironic that most people who argue that the 1st Am (or the 4th or 5th) is absolute in scope and magnitude, will argue the 2d Am is limited to militia, etc. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Hand_Rifle_Guy
January 2, 2003, 03:50 AM
Uhh, we have a word filter?

Having never run "a-fowl" of it personally, either here or on TFL, I guess it's a moot point, for me.

Perhaps I am to polite for my own good?

Naah! Gotta be able to look in the mirror (http://www.drunken-style.com/bio/aim_high.html) after all. My own standards are all that really matter to me. :cool:

Drjones
January 2, 2003, 04:54 AM
Good luck, with your board gentlemen and ladies, just remember, with out the first ammendment, you have no hope whatsoever of keeping the rest.

Um, sorry, but its "the SECOND Amendment protects all the others." Not the first.

I'm sorry you've chosen to not participate here. (Assuming you are even reading this.) You really are welcome.

I really don't see what is so bad about strongly advocating adult discourse without foul language and bad attitudes.

If you really want to go to a place where people do not take The High Road as we so strongly insist, go here: http://michaelmoore.com/phpbb/index.php

Of course the people there are as intelligent as their keyboards that they are so busily typing foul words on.

Oh well...

Calamity Jane
January 2, 2003, 05:51 AM
Indeed, I've run across a disheartening number of internet fora where participants see maximum vulgarity and mean-spiritedness as a badge of honor. :mad:

In a public forum, civil, respectful discourse is the way to go. Bravo THR for insisting, as TFL did, on high standards. :cool:

Schuey2002
January 2, 2003, 05:55 AM
Just when I was about ready to "let the expletives fly", this thread comes along... Crap! :uhoh:

I guess that leaves me with this -> :cuss: :cuss:

:D

ruger357
January 2, 2003, 09:04 AM
Very well put.

Kaylee
January 2, 2003, 09:59 AM
political speech =/= pottymouth

-K

cordex
January 2, 2003, 10:43 AM
TERRY8m,
I have a right to keep and bear arms, but not necessarily in your bedroom.
I have a right to say what I wish, but not necessarily in your livingroom.

Make sense?

dev_null
January 2, 2003, 10:46 AM
I find the idea of censorship disturbing, but I also acknowledge the ancient theory of "my house, my rules" here. ;)

IMO the point is not whether some words are "bad" -- I have no hangups about religion, sex, or body functions -- but rather one of appropriateness to the situation. I may cuss like a homeboy when talking with biker friends, but I use polite language around their mothers and grandmothers. I might think my elected so-called representative no end of a fool or worse, but if I'm writing to him I state my position politely.

Just as long as you're not censoring harmless words like assinine, niggardly, etc., I have no complaint.

Now, if we just had a spellchecker! :D

-0-

RandyC
January 2, 2003, 11:21 AM
Think we just broke a record for the number of times the word "cogent" showed up in replies.:D

GregoryTech
January 2, 2003, 11:34 AM
I, for one, am glad. unnecessarilyrudelanguage* 'em if they don't like it. :neener:

AK103K
January 2, 2003, 11:40 AM
Hey Mike Irwin,

You "penile slurpin, mammy porker" I hope I havent offended you :) (or anyone else here who intelligent(or educated) enough to figure it out. :) ) I find it amusing that language can be such a thorn in some peoples sides. Having grown up in a Marine family, I learned, at a young age I might add, words that weren't in any dictionary or most peoples vocabulary. Actually, I dont know of anyone who can string together words of unimaginable meanings and mental pictures, than a Marine sergeant, (well maybe a Navy chief too :)) Sometimes you just "need" that certain word to make a point, especially since we have no eye contact, body language, or other indicators to read, in a medium such as this. Education has nothing to do with whether a person is educated or not. Having a "broad" experience in life is much more important than just education. Being able to "converse" with who ever you're with in language you both understand seems more "educated" to me, than claiming you are "educated" because a word offends you. I'll do my best to conform to the boards wishes as far as "spicy words". Then again, it almost cries out for "rule bending" and rather than have a slow and moldering brain, I'm up for the challenge! How about you Mike? :)

coati
January 2, 2003, 11:52 AM
I just posted an observation about this in the "technical" section. I didn't see this thread.

Thanks for keeping this on the up and up.

Oleg Volk
January 2, 2003, 11:54 AM
Is foul language useful and fun at times? YES. But it isn't appropriate to this particular forum. The High Road is provided by the efforts of non-government entities for a specific purpose. Please respect the effort and resources which were put into it by following the requests of the host.
22 magnum can be a fun and useful caliber but you may be asked to refrain from using it if invited to a private buffalo hunt.

twoblink
January 2, 2003, 12:15 PM
Sarah Brady, Rosie O' Fat.. Is that vulgarity??? :D

AK103K
January 2, 2003, 12:22 PM
YEA! Where's the filter for that!!

Seriously, I understand your point Oleg, and of course, your wishes as host will be honored, (well, there may be an unintentional slip, but absolutely unintentional, I swear :) )
Just a thought about your "buffalo hunt" thing, just cause you have the right gun, dont mean you know how to hunt, eh? :)

Jorah
January 2, 2003, 12:34 PM
Okay, maybe it was an IMPROPER noun, but it was what we were called in the navy. :(

The odd thing is that the filter put in 4 "unnecessarilyrudelanguage" thingys in place of one 4-letter word, making it look like I'd used 4 4-letter words... but if you search on my name and the ORIGINAL word I used, you can still find the post; apparently the replacement is taking place at "runtime," if you will. Odd.

=Jorah

pax
January 2, 2003, 01:08 PM
Hey, anything that helps remind us all to write creatively rather than to just flame away is a good thing. Can you imagine anything more BORRRRRR-ING! than page after page of people saying the same thing in the exact same way?

pax

Take away the right to say "[rude word]" and you take away the right to say "[rude word] the government." -- Lenny Bruce

Viking6
January 2, 2003, 01:31 PM
I just posted a borderline response before reading this thread. I sometimes talk in a "salty" fashion not because of lack of education or imagination but in restricted company that appreciates the point. I respect the rules and will adhere to them, upon reflection I even agree with the rules. I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank Oleg and company for putting THR together for an almost seamless transition for the old TFLers.

fivepaknh
January 2, 2003, 02:00 PM
I understand this is a private board and the owners can set any rule they like. I also understand that the constitution doesn't protect my freedom of speech on a private forum. What I find strange is that we expect our government to respect rights that some here do not.

It's not always easy to convey our meaning or mood in plain text using just proper speech. A few colorful expletives can sometimes communicate a persons thoughts more effectively. I think we should refrain whenever possible from using some of the more vulgar words, but there're words banned here, that I hear used quite often on the Simpsons and NYPD Blue.

Oleg Volk
January 2, 2003, 02:17 PM
Government is under more restrictions because you and I fund it. THR is privately funded.

Simpsons and NYPD Blue do not have the same mission as THR, which is promoting civil rights, including responsible firearms ownership. By our understanding of the mission and methods with which to achieve it, polite language helps and we insist on it.

I will now set the word filter to a less intrusive set of replacement characters.

bogie
January 2, 2003, 02:19 PM
Wouldn't it be kinda easy to just have it insert the cussin' smilie? Or has that been already disgustipated?

Betty
January 2, 2003, 02:35 PM
Words currently banned (and their offspring) are (I don't have access to Admin panel to double-check all):

f-word
c-word
a-word
d-head-word
s-word
I don't think the b-word is banned, since it is the proper term to describe a female animal-dog (not human dog ;) ) .

We're all text on a page - we can choose to reply or not to reply, and when we choose to reply, we have all the chances in the world to edit and re-edit before we post. There's no reason why vulgarities should slip through. If you're mad, sit back and take a breather and come back when you've cooled off.

And there's always this: :cuss:

What's so wrong with being civil?

First Amendment.... Want me to come into your home and curse all kind of expletives at your kiddies? Want me to crank up my guitar and run my fingernails up and down the strings in a horrible grating sound at 2 am? How about if I splash paint all over your walls and furniture - hey, I'll call it art, and it's my Freedom of Expression. How about if I go about spewing slander and libel about you, or even publish a book of lies about you - I can say and write whatever I want because of the First Amendment, right? If I can, that means you can't do anything about it, right?

The High Road is Oleg's (and my) extended living room. When you step through our door, there's a nice page of forum rules that you agree or not agree to. Everyone signed the same same agreement when they decided to become a member. Don't abide by our house rules, don't come here.

If you still don't agree, don't be upset if one of your houseguests tramples all over your brand new carpet with doggie-doo on his shoes after you posted a clear sign on the front door saying, "LEAVE YOUR DIRTY SHOES OUTSIDE."

Mike Irwin
January 2, 2003, 02:59 PM
"What I find strange is that we expect our government to respect rights that some here do not."

Once again, NO right is absolute.

And once again, NO one on this board is preventing you from expressing an IDEA.

You are, however, being asked and expected to exercise judgement in HOW you express the idea.

That is the critical difference.

The English language is rich and wonderfully flexible.

As AK103 showed, it's VERY easy to rephrase your statement so that the same IDEA comes across just as effectively.

bogie
January 2, 2003, 03:21 PM
Runt, I'll wager that more than once, someone has stood in your living room, twisted their cap to the side, squinted sideways, extended both hands in contorted positions, and uttered the phrase "Bee-otch, I _weell_ pop a cap in your -bleep-!"

Which, I'll wager, has generally been followed by people falling down laughing.

If it hasn't happened yet, it should.

Can I get your living room to permanently quit sending me notices that someone has responded to something?

:scrutiny:

Betty
January 2, 2003, 03:41 PM
bogie,
Are you poking fun at my Homegirl photo? :p

You can turn the email notification off yourself in the User CP.

Mike Irwin
January 2, 2003, 05:05 PM
Bogie, when it comes to Runt, I offer you the following advice...

Don't mess with the biach, biach! :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "A hint by the way of the word filter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!